Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Im about to headed to a large city in Texas for indoc. Im going to try my best to not be the stereotypical military guy in my new hire class but guys it’s gonna be pretty hard. I still have a goofy haircut and it’s impossible to not call people in authority positions sir or ma’am. Pray for me.

Its not a mission, its an airplane full of people that probably dont need to be going where they're going. People will love the stories about how you got super drunk and lost your pants in a foreign country but not why the F16, A10 or C130 is the best airplane in all of christendom. Acknowledge the fact that the 29 year old RJ guy in your class probably knows way more about the job youre about to start than you do and might have some excellent insight into the right mindset to adopt now that you're not saluting your way through the day.
Welcome aboard!

edit: sorry if that comes off harsh. Been flying with some real extra ex military folks lately and its affecting my attitude. You're already one of the good ones if youre on this board so no offense.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

. Acknowledge the fact that the 29 year old RJ guy in your class probably knows way more about the job youre about to start than you do

Wasn’t Bob A Feet the one that was telling the stories about flying a T-6 at M0.5 above FL300?

I guess that just meant they were overqualified for a CRJ?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

Its not a mission, its an airplane full of people that probably dont need to be going where they're going. People will love the stories about how you got super drunk and lost your pants in a foreign country but not why the F16, A10 or C130 is the best airplane in all of christendom. Acknowledge the fact that the 29 year old RJ guy in your class probably knows way more about the job youre about to start than you do and might have some excellent insight into the right mindset to adopt now that you're not saluting your way through the day.
Welcome aboard!

edit: sorry if that comes off harsh. Been flying with some real extra ex military folks lately and its affecting my attitude. You're already one of the good ones if youre on this board so no offense.

I think Bob a Feet is ex-Ospreys, so I bet he could get a good chuckle out of a deadpanned "what does THIS button do?!" while pointing at anything on the pressurization panel.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have been that high in a T-6, but not that fast! But I completely understand what you are saying. I have zero idea how to operate in the 121 world and I can’t wait to take the first opportunity to shut my mouth and listen. I’ve also never flown a jet aircraft, or something this large. Again, can’t wait to learn.

Edit: yes, former Osprey pilot. I’ve heard some say the 737 is loud and uncomfortable upfront. Between the Texan and the Osprey, I’ve been training my entire career for this! :v:

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

e.pilot posted:

lol what military people are you working with

signed:
a former military people

One of the students in my A&P school was also former military using his benefits to get free education while being homeless. Overall he was a cool and chill guy, used to fix and/or break tanks. Bought a Cessna 170 while a student, possibly contributing to the homeless issue, but I attribute that to young and full of dreams rather than service connected. I guess I'm saying our armed forces are a land of contrasts.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
An airliner rolls out of the factory and it gets weighed as a whole, correct? Is it accurate up to a pound? And will two planes of the same factory weigh the exact same amount?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Vahakyla posted:

An airliner rolls out of the factory and it gets weighed as a whole, correct? Is it accurate up to a pound? And will two planes of the same factory weigh the exact same amount?

They do weight and balance for every single plane they make. I worked with the team that did it when I was a Bombardier employee. No one plane is made exactly the same. There’s subtle engineering differences with every tail. Often we do stuff like a Y-Mod which is an on the fly modification signed off by engineering and the delegated approval person from transport Canada (Canadian FAA). Basically someone picks up on a defect in production and some sort of ersatz solution is created until the engineering is standardized.

If you add or remove anything to an aircraft the weight and balance team will be doing their bit for the corresponding paperwork and engineering authority that “controls” that installation.

Yes it’s super accurate and there’s a tree of documentation that tells you what everything weighs right down to individual component parts like the shipset headsets or an aluminium toilet paper spindle.

EDIT: I forgot to mention there will be weight impacts from all the customization options the airlines typically take.

Some people want more closet space, extra emergency equipment, thicker leather, soft movable class dividers vs hard dividers, different seat counts, aft lav vs no aft lav, lights for the airline emblem on the tail or not etc.

There’s hundreds if not thousands of things that can be added, removed mixed and matched on the plane so none of them really have the same weight.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 15, 2022

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That's my job! Kraftwerk already covered it really well.

For some other detail, we weigh them when as completely built as possible after they've been painted. There are a lot of smallish items that sometimes are missing that we have weights for and add back in. I spend most of my time creating the inventory list noting or updating most of the parts added to a basic aircraft build, their weight and their arm (around 400 items for my planes).

We derive 3 weights. The scale weight, noting everything that should or shouldn't be there, the Basic Empty Weight (BEW) which is all the customer's stuff in place as it should be (added to the scale weight if it was missing) and items not part of the build that were in at the weigh (gear locks, production related emergency equipment, etc.) deducted, and Manufacturer Empty Weight (MEW) which is most of the customer specific stuff deducted from scale weight as well as those non-build items.

A customer will have a specific LOPA (Layout Of Passenger Accommodations) that details the number of seats, classes, galleys, closets, curtains, lavs, emergency equipment, and what not. Then when weighed planes in that LOPA block should be quite similar in BEW and MEW. The MEW is pretty consistent among among larger blocks of planes and LOPAs so it helps to track that the general base build of the plane is within the weight range promised by the manufacturer. Then the customer gets their own BEW range for all the things they add in.The customer then gets the scale weight, BEW and MEW calculations along with that parts list as part of their weight and balance manual specifically for that plane. Flight load planning is based off the BEW

The bigger the plane the more variation you'll see due to difference in the build as well as if all the fluids/oils were serviced or not and if it had never been fueled or instead sumped to a trapped fuel condition. Sometimes actual weights of items are included in the weight calculations, like for each seat, galley, food cart/container/oven, life vests, and other emergency equipment for the first airplane in a LOPA. Those values are just copied on to the next plane unless they change to a new part. If a plane is going to fly before being painted and weighed we'll verify what all is installed or missing and use the BEW of a previous airplane in the same LOPA .

We closely track the weight and CG range of each plane and when a one is noticeably outside of that range it gets extra scrutinized or possibly even reweighed if something significant was missing or an error made during the weigh process (which is quite rare). We do track by 10ths of a pound and by 10ths of an inch for the CG. I have had two planes in the same LOPA end up with the same weights and CG values, which is quite satisfying.

This is pretty similar to our process for weighing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh1bESk8tvk

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 15, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Dude! Do we know eachother? I used to be in customer engineering. I made LOPAs on a regular basis.
Though mine were just proposal lopas as opposed to the actual engineering drawings that would come later.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Possibly! Did you do that in the Puget Sound region? I've primarily been around the weights, paint and flightline maintenance groups in the 737 programs from the last decade or so in Seattle/Renton.

On a more sobering side regarding W & B, I weighed the Lion Air MAX that crashed and did the inventory walk-through prior to weigh for the Ethiopian one. First hearing that they nose dived made us dig into our paperwork to see if anything was out of ordinary with the CGs (which were normal) before learning about the MCAS situation.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

Possibly! Did you do that in the Puget Sound region? I've primarily been around the weights, paint and flightline maintenance groups in the 737 programs from the last decade or so in Seattle/Renton.

On a more sobering side regarding W & B, I weighed the Lion Air MAX that crashed and did the inventory walk-through prior to weigh for the Ethiopian one. First hearing that they nose dived made us dig into our paperwork to see if anything was out of ordinary with the CGs (which were normal) before learning about the MCAS situation.

Our methodologies are probably similar due to Boeing's influence on Bombardier and the Dash 8 in the 1990s. But no, I was in Toronto with Bombardier as opposed to Boeing.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kraftwerk posted:

Our methodologies are probably similar due to Boeing's influence on Bombardier and the Dash 8 in the 1990s. But no, I was in Toronto with Bombardier as opposed to Boeing.

So the CR2 was all your fault, then.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So my brother is a weapons officer or whatever on P-8. It’s pretty much guaranteed he’s going airline post service right? Idk how that skill set works anywhere else.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
After about year of taking hiatus from here and everything else, I’m back with a vengeance and a B757/67 type rating, if anyone is still bothering to update the OP. While I’m waiting for IOE I’m going to continue growing my training beard and occasionally be annoying here and on discord…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

So my brother is a weapons officer or whatever on P-8. It’s pretty much guaranteed he’s going airline post service right? Idk how that skill set works anywhere else.

Is he a 737 rated pilot or not?

I have to qualify because “weapons officer or whatever” includes NFOs but they won’t leave military service with an ATP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

After about year of taking hiatus from here and everything else, I’m back with a vengeance and a B757/67 type rating, if anyone is still bothering to update the OP. While I’m waiting for IOE I’m going to continue growing my training beard and occasionally be annoying here and on discord…

Welcome back!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I have to qualify because “weapons officer or whatever” includes NFOs but they won’t leave military service with an ATP.

Iirc he’s trained/rated but I can’t say that with certainty.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
You can still at least get a civilian type rating through the Navy- I did an IPC for a guy with a Lockheed Electra type awhile back because he flew the P-3.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I'm not super savvy on P-8 crew positions, but "weapons officer" sounds a lot like an NFO qualification, and if he's an NFO that doesn't translate to any applicable skills in the airline world.

He could be a Weapons and Tactics Instructor (WTI) and a pilot, but the WTI qualification is incidental compared to the "can fly a 737" qualification inherent in being a P-8 pilot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He could be a Weapons and Tactics Instructor (WTI) and a pilot, but the WTI qualification is incidental compared to the "can fly a 737" qualification inherent in being a P-8 pilot.

The response back when I asked was “Yeah, if I was a pilot.” so there ya go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the go to logbook software? I’m updating my atlas profile and now they want an electronic logbook file when until now I’ve just had a big old binder of paper logs. I’m due to start working on a transfer to digital anyways, the longer I wait the more it’s gonna sting.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

What’s the go to logbook software? I’m updating my atlas profile and now they want an electronic logbook file when until now I’ve just had a big old binder of paper logs. I’m due to start working on a transfer to digital anyways, the longer I wait the more it’s gonna sting.

I’ve been using https://myflightbook.com for the past several years. It’s free and does the trick but I’m not on the professional side of things. It’s great for GA though. I’ve heard from several instructors recently that they’re just using ForeFlight.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I also use myflightbook on the 121 side. The developer is very helpful and responsive if you're having trouble with anything, and he's continuously adding features as people ask for them. It's no entirely geared towards the professional side of things, so if that's what you're looking for then give logtenpro a look. I never used it due to the cost and I was already happy with MFB, but that seems to be the standard. MFB can transfer from your schedule but at my last company I have to transfer my schedule to a CSV file, make a couple changes in the data fields, then upload to MFB. I did a month at a time and it took 5min tops for the bulk editing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm in the process of transferring my paper logs to the logbook in Foreflight. Seems ok? Easy to export to other formats from there too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve been using my flight book since I had double digit hours, now I fly around the world and am getting close to 4000, its great.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MyFlightbook looks sick, definitely going to use it while gearing up for my PPL. No need to pay for ForeFlight until I'm ready to use those power user functions methinks.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 20, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m trying MyFlightBook. Figure if I hate it after my first 100 or so entries I’ll switch to something paid. I just hate the idea of something so important being a subscription.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Google Docs and/or Excel. You never have to worry about "does the electronic logbook track X, or generate report Y?" because you can just Excel-wizard your way to any figure you want, you're not tied to a subscription and if you use Google Docs with an Excel backup, at least the data is in a very common and well-supported format.

Like, you want to figure how much time you spent as PIC in one of two specific different planes, at night? You could do that with a simple formula! And if you need to track something new specific to your circumstances, then just add a column!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Man, I'm gonna get PAID every hour flown at this job!"

https://twitter.com/mic/status/1549152034393292805
https://twitter.com/CelebJets/status/1547043159422664704

(Logbook is an endless sea of .1 and .2 entries)

Boy, I hope these are just repositioning flights the media are otherwise clueless to the concept of, because yeesh, if not.

simble
May 11, 2004

Socal traffic sucks man.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Boy, I hope these are just repositioning flights the media are otherwise clueless to the concept of, because yeesh, if not.

Countdown to the announcement of Kardashian investment in some unheard of electric aircraft startup.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Beef Of Ages posted:

Countdown to the announcement of Kardashian investment in some unheard of electric aircraft startup.

I mean planes now have like Halo and Garmin Autoland and whatever the Cirrus and Honda jets have that will get you on the ground if your pilot passes out, so the idea of an extremely short-haul electric plane that can fly itself and beat LA or wherever traffic would be pretty cool. I mean you know it takes like a thousand years for the FAA to approve anything but that's overall a good thing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

great idea, you'll just have to dodge all the LAPD choppers that plague the skies of Los Angeles

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I’m the guy in the Pacer dodging LAPD choppers (we talk on freq!). We’ve actually got two electric pipistrels and charging stations at some of the airports here.

C,mon Kim, fly the electric 152 knockoff.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

I’m trying MyFlightBook. Figure if I hate it after my first 100 or so entries I’ll switch to something paid. I just hate the idea of something so important being a subscription.

if you donate enough to MFB you can get automatic backups to google drive in xls or csv format, I think it’s $25/yr

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

if you donate enough to MFB you can get automatic backups to google drive in xls or csv format, I think it’s $25/yr

I’ll jump on that. I’m getting in the swing of it and it’s checking all my boxes.

I’ve done 80 out of like 1200 flights. Almost there!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Just get a motorcycle and enforce proper car behavior around filtering motorcyclists. You can zip around town in no time, if you make sure no one intentionally blocks your way or makes it excessively risky (like i imagine it currently is in most places in the USA)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Most US states made filtering illegal and several drivers here in the south will willingly cause a dangerous situation before they let someone on a bike pass them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Filtering is legal in California, like the only state or so. That does not make me want to do it more than I do on my bicycle at intersections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:d2a:

https://wpde.com/news/local/lindsey-graham-pushing-airline-raise-mandatory-pilot-retirement-age-shortage-business-south-carolina-wciv