Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

fadam posted:

Just two continues is still impressive that game is an absolute pain in the rear end. I think I used two on the last level alone lol

I was expecting to use a continue on stage 4 and 5 but then I basically played stage 5 perfectly up to the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Take a look at the Game Club, Major.

Oh, right - I keep forgetting about the Club! :shobon: I should really join in, one of these days/months

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, right - I keep forgetting about the Club! :shobon: I should really join in, one of these days/months

No time like the present, Major

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

got a trophy page with your name on it ready to go Major

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

get in there, major!!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

tmfc posted:

get in there, major!!

finally updated my GG app and it's pitiful. I haven't beaten hardly anything since Elden Ring.

idk it quoted that but i;m leaving it in.

Daikatana Ritsu fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 18, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

got a trophy page with your name on it ready to go Major

tmfc posted:

get in there, major!!

Hmm yeah, I think I'll need to dip my toe in - MGS month seems like the perfect time, too! Can't go past a good stealth game. How are you all playing though, if you don't mind me asking? I know MGS1 can be played on PSX and I think I've still technically got my PS2 with MGS2+3 somewhere, but if there's a more convenient way that you're all playing, I'd love to hear it!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i played revengeance and am playing mgs3hd on my series x, via xbox 360 discs.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

playing revengeance on the pc and i probably won't have time for anything else because ill be moving :eng99:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

otherwise i will be playing on the original consoles through a trinitron, as god intended

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm yeah, I think I'll need to dip my toe in - MGS month seems like the perfect time, too! Can't go past a good stealth game. How are you all playing though, if you don't mind me asking? I know MGS1 can be played on PSX and I think I've still technically got my PS2 with MGS2+3 somewhere, but if there's a more convenient way that you're all playing, I'd love to hear it!

I found a dirt-cheap PS3 on eBay and grabbed a copy of the Metal Gear legacy collection. I’m doing 2 and 3 on the Xbox HD version that I picked up before doing all that though

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

so far i've mostly been playing the original 8-bit games which you can emulate on pretty much anything. mgs1, vr missions (psx), twin snakes (gcn) and the psp games can also be emulated easily on PC.

mgs 2/3 are tough to emulate due to the lack of pressure-sensitive face buttons on most controllers. that was a unique thing for ps2 and 3, and mgs2/3 utilized it for core mechanics. i'd recommend original hardware for those 2 games if possible. there's also a 3ds version of mgs3 lol. apparently it's an interesting port of the game, but i haven't tried it.

if you haven't ever played it, i'd highly recommend Metal Gear Solid (GBC) (aka Metal Gear: Ghost Babel). imo it's the ultimate 8-bit / classic-style metal gear game. but Metal Gear 2 for MSX is a really great game too (currently playing through this via ps2 emulation -- mgs3 subsistence disc 2)

have fun!

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

original hardware is the best way to play of course. i only have a ps4, switch, and pc at my place though, so i'm stuck with whatever can be faithfully emulated for a good chunk of the metal gear catalog.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

tmfc posted:

if you haven't ever played it, i'd highly recommend Metal Gear Solid (GBC) (aka Metal Gear: Ghost Babel). imo it's the ultimate 8-bit / classic-style metal gear game. but Metal Gear 2 for MSX is a really great game too (currently playing through this via ps2 emulation -- mgs3 subsistence disc 2)

echoing the bit about metal gear 2. just beat it on the legacy collection and its a drat good time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
FEAR for like the fiftieth time. Evergreen title. whips rear end. start is a bit dull and the last chapters are bad but from the moment you set foot into armacham offices to right before clicking the last few switches to destroy the vault, the game doesnt stop being a riot. i feel tempted to try 2, but maybe some other time. no shotgun has ever topped this one

POWERSLAVE exhumed. delightful game. apparently a mishmash of the psx and saturn versions that both had exclusive level design and enemies. fps from 96, call it doom clone if u want idc, with light metroidvania elements. surprising the original releases flew under the radar, cause this is a no nonsense game that flows very well, and has a lot of secrets to hunt (found 5 out of the hidden dolls). Some level design is questionable and a couple times i got softlocked due to scripting failing to trigger, but other than that, really good stuff. would recommend

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

fear 2 was such a let down, its plagued by all the worst elements of late 00s fps design

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I quit fear 2 because a quick time event would just not work properly. I would over and over get glomped to death by Alma while trying to mash the button, and I'm still a little pissed off thinking about it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

23) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Eagle Rank)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

__________________________/

also grats dude. you're knocking these out

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

you sure arent keeping us waiting, huh

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I love Metal Gear, and I love Trophies.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

tmfc posted:

original hardware is the best way to play of course. i only have a ps4, switch, and pc at my place though, so i'm stuck with whatever can be faithfully emulated for a good chunk of the metal gear catalog.

pcsx2 is a pain to get working with pressure-sensitive buttons even if you use a ps3 controller. I finally got it working but it took forever to get the right driver and then you have to fiddle with the button sensitivity until you get something that feels somewhat like the original.

I wonder how the xbox/ps4 ports of HD collection handle the lack of pressure sensitive face buttons?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Frenz posted:

pcsx2 is a pain to get working with pressure-sensitive buttons even if you use a ps3 controller. I finally got it working but it took forever to get the right driver and then you have to fiddle with the button sensitivity until you get something that feels somewhat like the original.

I wonder how the xbox/ps4 ports of HD collection handle the lack of pressure sensitive face buttons?

There is no PS4 port. I think the Xbox collection has some complicated button combos to replace pressure sensitive stuff

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There is no PS4 port. I think the Xbox collection has some complicated button combos to replace pressure sensitive stuff

oh you're right. I heard of people setting up pcsx2 to use square to aim then pressing the ps4 touchpad to shoot which might not be too bad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A soldier never needs to shoot, only sneak and CQC. topic locked

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

CQC heavily relies on pressure sensitivity lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

CQC heavily relies on pressure sensitivity lol

killem all

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

killem all

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

EmmyOk posted:

killem all

My current MGS2 strategy

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

My current MGS2 strategy

Same, after being extremely careful not to kill enemies to get the <25 kills trophy in MGS1, and not even getting it since continues don’t reset your kill count, I’ve just been cutting loose as catharsis

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Same, after being extremely careful not to kill enemies to get the <25 kills trophy in MGS1, and not even getting it since continues don’t reset your kill count, I’ve just been cutting loose as catharsis

Wait, really?! Wow, that's harsh! drat. I've already gone through no-kill playthroughs in MGS2+3+4 years ago, so I don't think I'll even bother going non-lethal, once I get time to go back to MGS later in the week

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

Final Fight (SNES, Cody, 2 continues)

Game is hard as hell. The slowdown is bad. My hand hurts and I don't think I'll be going for the 1cc any time soon.

did this again but with Haggar and 3 continues.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner M∀RS

game itself still rules obviously but the vr mode is very half baked. they barely did any work on it, it plays just like you're playing it regular. glorified first person mode

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (100%, Normal Difficulty)

Great ARPG. Haven't played any of the Ys games between Origins and this so Ys VIII is probably next. 100% was pretty enjoyable except for getting 100% map completion. Having to fly over giant sections of the game's main area that aren't accessible by any other means to get the last tiny bits of unexplored map was absolute cheeks.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

52) Cats in Time (all achieves)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!

Okay. The hit box on the main attack always felt off but it also gave a ton of iframes so it was easy to forgive. Level 2 was strangely difficult; I think I spent 3/4ths of my play time on it, and as soon as I got past it I beat the rest of the game on one continue.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Metal Gear Solid 2

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

53) The Looker

Fuckin lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!

Okay. The hit box on the main attack always felt off but it also gave a ton of iframes so it was easy to forgive. Level 2 was strangely difficult; I think I spent 3/4ths of my play time on it, and as soon as I got past it I beat the rest of the game on one continue.

i used to love that game as a kid, football stage ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

12. Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk

13. Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag of milk