Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm still hoping for a Watson powered Trebek hologram cyborg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just dove into too deep a rabbit hole about this but I think Metamorphoses (pronounced the way the dude did it in his DD) should have been given correct.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goober Peas posted:

I'm still hoping for a Watson powered Trebek hologram cyborg.

Hell, just make it regular Watson, cut to B-roll of lights blinking before announcing "correct"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, just make it regular Watson, cut to B-roll of lights blinking before announcing "correct"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECu1fR0dWE

The computer would outpace Mayim's performance by a lot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

By the way, anyone who uses her gender, ethnicity, religion or other dogwhistle as grounds for ousting her need to conduct a self colonoscopy with a running Husqvarna.

Huh?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You should only dislike her for her piss-poor hosting skills and nothing else is what I got.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

You should only dislike her for her piss-poor hosting skills and nothing else is what I got.

I more meant, "who is even saying any of those things?" I quoted them specifically for their clarification.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

I just dove into too deep a rabbit hole about this but I think Metamorphoses (pronounced the way the dude did it in his DD) should have been given correct.

Yeah, I really think so, too. Even if it's not what he meant, if he just pronounced it that way it should be the same answer either way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Sean posted:

I more meant, "who is even saying any of those things?" I quoted them specifically for their clarification.

Gotcha. I see the usual trolls making those statements, but they're trolls, so there you go.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mister Kingdom posted:

Correct

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Island Nation posted:

Well, Dr. Bialik's time at the host podium is over for the season.

In my opinion, she didn't improve much if at all from her trial run. Her attempts at humor felt forced, her hosting was uninspired, Her passion was nonexistent. She was mediocre, not awful (Hi Oz and Whitaker) but all that matters is how the ratings are since bad ratings=no show. By the way, anyone who uses her gender, ethnicity, religion or other dogwhistle as grounds for ousting her need to conduct a self colonoscopy with a running Husqvarna.

Her religious beliefs are pretty heinous OP

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Crunchy Black posted:

Her Judaism and Ken's Mormonism should be as important to hosting as Alex's Catholicism was, not at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

Her Judaism and Ken's Mormonism should be as important to hosting as Alex's Catholicism was, not at all.

I'm thinking they might have been referring to Bialik's full-throated support for the IDF and its efforts to eradicate Palestine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

I'm thinking they might have been referring to Bialik's full-throated support for the IDF and its efforts to eradicate Palestine.

:emptyquote:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Island Nation posted:

an accurate analogy if alex was funding the crusades, yes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Uh, reminder that you can be Jewish and not support the IDF or the state of Israel's genocide, and that we probably should not be associating the two things as being intrinsically linked.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HookShot posted:

Uh, reminder that you can be Jewish and not support the IDF or the state of Israel's genocide, and that we probably should not be associating the two things as being intrinsically linked.

Yeah, but she does support those things. And to go back to the example from before I think it's fair to suggest that the crusades are intrisically linked to Christianity even though you absolutely can be Christian and not support the Crusades

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, but she does support those things. And to go back to the example from before I think it's fair to suggest that the crusades are intrisically linked to Christianity even though you absolutely can be Christian and not support the Crusades

Yeah, she absolutely does support those things, and that makes her a lovely person, but it is not because she is Jewish that she's a lovely person. It's because she specifically supports a genocidal state and has donated to its defense forces.

I don't really have the knowledge about any of this to really argue one way or another, but I will say that it makes me personally very uncomfortable to see people linking Judaism as a religion with genocide being committed by one particular state, especially given the rising anti-Semitism in the western world over the past few years and I will not be doing it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think anyone is equating Judaism and Zionism, so nothing to worry about!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

They probably were but I'm trying to judge how she hosts without her personal affairs and even then it's only my own personal opinion and not representative of a whole. I don't watch the show for the host but for the game itself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think anyone is equating Judaism and Zionism, so nothing to worry about!

Crunchy Black posted:

This post certainly does! I mean, I'm assuming, because that's basically the best case scenario when someone calls a Jewish person's religious views "heinous".

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe Crunchy Black is vehemently anti-circumcision

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

This post certainly does! I mean, I'm assuming, because that's basically the best case scenario when someone calls a Jewish person's religious views "heinous".

They're not saying Judaism is bad, they're saying her particular interpretation and application of Judaism is bad.

Like I don't care if someone is Christian but if they openly state that their religion enables their homophobia and harm of LGBTQ+ persons then their religious beliefs are heinous.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

They're not saying Judaism is bad, they're saying her particular interpretation and application of Judaism is bad.

Like I don't care if someone is Christian but if they openly state that their religion enables their homophobia and harm of LGBTQ+ persons then their religious beliefs are heinous.

Okay, yeah, I see what you’re saying here and I do agree with it.

At the same time, in this case, where Jewish people are facing more anti-Semitism than ever, I think it’s important to avoid blanket statements like “this Jewish person’s religious beliefs are heinous” in a way that we don’t have to with Christians because no one is out there in America trying to kill Christians for existing. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that we be a bit more nuanced than that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

HookShot posted:

“this Jewish person’s religious beliefs are heinous”

Who is Mayim Bialik?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KEN'S BACK

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
What the hell was this wagering bullshit today?

They both wagered to beat 3rd place, not to win. Both of those wagers require your opponent to get it wrong (or wager weirdly, as happened here) for you to win. Bizarre. If that had been against a superchamp that would be an interesting scenario to guarantee they are dethroned if they miss final, I guess.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Amazing how much better the show is with Ken. An enormous jump in quality today.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How the gently caress was Godot accepted there for the champ and Harriet Tubman a couple weeks ago wasn’t??

This is rhetorical btw, I know the answer.

(And for the record I believe both should have been accepted)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MokBa posted:

Amazing how much better the show is with Ken. An enormous jump in quality today.

Yeah the lower-scoring games were always especially tortuous with Mayim. There were a lot of missed questions in today's game but Ken kept it moving along very well.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Its been weeks and I'm still livid about harriet tubma

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Island Nation posted:

After the host debacle, Sony/CBS wanted her the be the sole host based on her Q score but Fox forced their hand.

They wanted her before the host debacle. Them wanting her is what allowed Richards to try to take over the job. If they'd done the right thing and gone ok it's Ken there never would've been all that nonsense.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Groovelord Neato posted:

They wanted her before the host debacle. Them wanting her is what allowed Richards to try to take over the job. If they'd done the right thing and gone ok it's Ken there never would've been all that nonsense.

Ok, Before the host debacle. She was the best known person who lives in LA and had some ties to CBS. She still gets the job full time when her sitcom is cancelled.

Regarding the comment below: I don't but I've spoken too much on this. Thanks

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 19, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Island Nation posted:

Ok, Before the host debacle. She was the best known person who lives in LA and had some ties to CBS. She still gets the job full time when her sitcom is cancelled.

We get it, you loooove her, now shut up

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Two weeks from today until next season begins filming. We're surely due the final announcement soon. And after last night especially I'm so desperately hoping it's Ken. The games are just so much nicer to watch when he's the host.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, the game quality was honestly low because the contestants were kinda stinky but it didnt feel like agony the way the low quality games under mayim did where you were kinda embarrassed for the poor play and felt like having your teeth pulled at the same time. when the game moves faster its a mercy to everyone involved!!!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

How the gently caress was Godot accepted there for the champ and Harriet Tubman a couple weeks ago wasn’t??

This is rhetorical btw, I know the answer.

(And for the record I believe both should have been accepted)

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. (and both should be accepted, yes.)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I love how Ken squeezes in all these jokes and explanations because a) he already knows it back to front and b) he doesn't waste 2-3 seconds every goddamn clue and so gets a bunch more time to play around with. What a breath of fresh air it is to have him back :swoon:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The game moved so much faster and had so much more energy and smoothness. I hate Mayim's hosting but sorta became numb about how terrible it was until Ken came back. Wowzers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Me on today's final category: Oh dammit. I don’t know anything about Opera.

Me after seeing the clue: Oh I know this! I just saw this episode of Seinfeld today!