Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheBizzness posted:

Hopefully in 8-10 years I can eat some crow about it.

Most of the lawyers I’ve seen talk about it don’t see it going on very long. They seem to think either Twitter is gonna get a pretty substantial payoff (way more than a billion) or musk is gonna be forced to buy Twitter at a slightly reduced price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

LegalEagle video recently went up about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffKoZXt-BM

The court where this case is taking place doesn't gently caress around, so it'll probably be resolved relatively quick.

Justice moves lightning fast when it's protecting the wealthy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Ain’t nothin’ gone happen.

1. Musk isn't loving with some low-level engineer or programmer, he's loving with quite a few wealthy investors and members of the Twitter board of directors, and rich people generally don't just let other rich people gently caress them over and get away with it, particularly when it involves getting money for a product that is essentially worthless

2. Delaware law in regards to business/finance is very heavily weighted in the favor of corporations, and as others have pointed out Twitter has a fairly solid case for telling Musk to gently caress or walk (both terms in this case being shorthand for "pay us billions of dollars')

3. The judge appointed to oversee this case is apparently fairly no-nonsense, and in fact has previously forced one party to complete a buyout/merger with another party, even after the first party tried to change the terms of the agreement after the fact. You know, like what Musk has tried to do

4. Delaware law allows the judge to put ol' Musky in jail if he tries to pull his usual poo poo or decides he's not gonna pay out after all

In summary, I would say that the chances something is gone happen are actually pretty good

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Yeah I either see him paying like 10 billion to get out of it or being forced to buy it for like 30 billion

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If he gets twitter he's definitely going to want personal control over the ban button

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kazil posted:

The court where this case is taking place doesn't gently caress around, so it'll probably be resolved relatively quick.

Yeah legal eagle is a good video for this as he really breaks it down and it’s clear he’s not a fan of musk

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
If I ever join a cult, please make sure it's a cool one that worships aliens or something, not one that worships some weird Howard Hughes wannabe that glued pubes to his forehead.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Elon Musk loving sucks rear end fwiw, don’t want anyone to think my apathy towards billionaires seeing retribution for their actions means I don’t hate these motherfuckers.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Stex T posted:

If I ever join a cult, please make sure it's a cool one that worships aliens or something, not one that worships some weird Howard Hughes wannabe that glued pubes to his forehead.
They already got that, fam, and there's lot of sex included. Female attendance is a bit lower, but the males are apparently more into other males, so I guess the gender ratio is balanced, depending on how you swing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sydney Bottocks posted:

4. Delaware law allows the judge to put ol' Musky in jail if he tries to pull his usual poo poo or decides he's not gonna pay out after all

Maybe he'll be like "gently caress it I'll just never set foot in Delaware again". Then he can continue to be an enormous rear end in a top hat and send poop emojis to the judge when she orders him to buy twitter.

Every other billionaire in the world is content to do crimes, get caught, pay a fine that represents 10-50% of what they made doing the crimes, and then go right back to crimes. "Oh dear, you caught me. :rolleyes:" Musk could be the one to go full Lex Luthor on this poo poo.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Klyith posted:

Maybe he'll be like "gently caress it I'll just never set foot in Delaware again". Then he can continue to be an enormous rear end in a top hat and send poop emojis to the judge when she orders him to buy twitter.

Every other billionaire in the world is content to do crimes, get caught, pay a fine that represents 10-50% of what they made doing the crimes, and then go right back to crimes. "Oh dear, you caught me. :rolleyes:" Musk could be the one to go full Lex Luthor on this poo poo.

The point isn't to jail Musk, it is to force him to complete his contractual obligations. Musk can flee the country, but all that means is the Judge orders the seizure of assets (e.g. Tesla stock) to be sold in order to facilitate the purchase.

Other billionaires get away with "crimes" because they operate within the confines of the laws they bribed Congress to pass. So they'll pay a fee and walk away with more money, because the law is generally written that the only way to be found guilty is to be all, "I [insert name] am willfully and knowingly committing the following crimes." That and they don't break rule #1 which is to never gently caress over another rich person.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Oh man I had a fascinatingly frustrating conversation with a friend of mine who really likes Musk. He got me to read the Ashley Vance bio a few years ago. I teasingly asked him to apologize for having dismissed my criticisms of Musk back in the day.

"Why?" He said. "I think Musk is great."

My friend is a really nice, caring guy. But also has a pretty surface level attention span regarding current events. And admitted that he has not followed any recent stuff about much (except for the Twitter saga), such as the flight attendant story, advocating the overthrow the Bolivian government from a while back, how the details of colonizing Mars make no sense. All dismissed. I didn't get a chance to say much more because then I got a speech about how I didn't understand the nuances of the Twitter situation. And, well, I didn't bring an itemized list of criticisms to fight back with, so I just asked: Why? Why Musk of all business gurus?

"Because he pushes people and inspires them to do things we wouldn't otherwise pursue." SpaceX and Tesla being his "good" projects. Hyperloop is never going to work, nor is Neural Link, I point out. "Yeah, but it pushes people to think of solutions they wouldn't have thought of."

Also, my friend's in tech, and knows people who have worked for Musk who have been worked to the bone by him and discarded after a few months. And are proud of it. And now I am kicking myself for thinking I could make cogent points to sway my friend. Him and his tech buddies are unswayable. They have bought in. The Great Man must be great or else.

I could tell he thought I just didn't get it. There's no fighting that. And if it can happen to a good guy like my friend, imagine the less-savory types who love Musk's stuff.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sorry your friend joined a cult, but he's donezo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remind your friend Musks condition he demanded when buying Tesla is he get referred to as a founder despite not being, you know, a founder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the biggest thing is Delaware is specifically constructed to enforce these types of contracts. If they fail to do that without good cause corps will just relocate to places that will do that for them

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

How have there not been a hundred posts about Elon's ghost white body and rocket ship nipples?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Total Party Kill posted:

How have there not been a hundred posts about Elon's ghost white body and rocket ship nipples?

the good elon thread is in cspam

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Total Party Kill posted:

Because there's several entire threads dedicated to it, but feel free

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I remember the lawsuit after he called the cave diver a pedo, and everyone was positive he could not win. He won.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Doug Sisk posted:

I remember the lawsuit after he called the cave diver a pedo, and everyone was positive he could not win. He won.

funny reminder that Lin Wood was the lawyer who took the case against him

yes, that Lin Wood

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Because there's several entire threads dedicated to it, but feel free

This is the only thread I look at

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/JUNlPER/status/1549143234265419780?t=evqWGMNBOOcOSlrUZwps0w&s=09

He looks like John Travolta got lye dumped on him. A melting candle of a man.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

my man is pre-Krang

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ben shapino posted:

the good elon thread is in cspam

There is nothing good in cspam

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

kazil posted:

Why does this guy look like a Pixar protagonist

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

kdrudy posted:

There is nothing good in cspam

Untrue. The thread making fun of nuts and seeds guys is v funny.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Why the hell do you need steam integration in your damned car

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because this is the timeline where he gets back into Donnie's favor buy getting rid of all this electronic drive by wire digital crap, and goes back to steam and analog stuff.

Also lol if Musk has play any games himself in years or decades, include games(did Cyberpunk do this??) where he licensed out his likeness for a fee.

e: also someone in the Donnie lol thread posted a birdlink that had this pic

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 19, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does this mean you can hook up your Steam Deck to a tesla?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Does this mean you can hook up your Steam Deck to a tesla?

I have changed my mind. Despite my previous statements, I would not download a car.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
burning inside my tesla in euro truck sim while burning inside my tesla.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

This vastly increases the chance that someone is going to be caught on voice raiding when the tesla suddenly has them resume control.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

And, well, I didn't bring an itemized list of criticisms to fight back with, so I just asked: Why? Why Musk of all business gurus?

"Because he pushes people and inspires them to do things we wouldn't otherwise pursue." SpaceX and Tesla being his "good" projects. Hyperloop is never going to work, nor is Neural Link, I point out. "Yeah, but it pushes people to think of solutions they wouldn't have thought of."

Also, my friend's in tech, and knows people who have worked for Musk who have been worked to the bone by him and discarded after a few months. And are proud of it. And now I am kicking myself for thinking I could make cogent points to sway my friend. Him and his tech buddies are unswayable. They have bought in. The Great Man must be great or else.

I could tell he thought I just didn't get it. There's no fighting that. And if it can happen to a good guy like my friend, imagine the less-savory types who love Musk's stuff.

This is maybe a good place to throw this out: Last year was the 10 year annv. of the death of Steve Jobs. Not hardly a peep anywhere I saw. Considering how emotional the world got in 2011 over it, I was expecting a LOT of retrospectives and thinkpieces and reevaluations of the man and his legacy to talk about how ten years without Jobs affected the world and technology.

Admittedly, my own knowledge of Jobs is rather limited, but I seem to recall for years that he mirrors Musk a bit: He was viewed as a tech saint, there were the tales of how he he could push people into creating tech no matter the stress, had some personality issues, lots devoted fan interest in branded products, etc.

To be fair, though, Jobs DID have a tech background so that seems to put him ahead of Musk**, but Musk feels like he is getting the same sort of tech reverence from his fandom as Jobs did.

So, did Musk replace Jobs in the hearts and minds of the mainstream audience who were looking for a tech industrial messiah?

**edit: I guess Musk does have some tech background, reviewing his Wiki. I always assumed he was merely just a money guy.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 19, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is maybe a good place to throw this out: Last year was the 10 year annv. of the death of Steve Jobs. Not hardly a peep anywhere I saw. Considering how emotional the world got in 2011 over it, I was expecting a LOT of retrospectives and thinkpieces and reevaluations of the man and his legacy to talk about how ten years without Jobs affected the world and technology.

Admittedly, my own knowledge of Jobs is rather limited, but I seem to recall for years that he mirrors Musk a bit: He was viewed as a tech saint, there were the tales of how he he could push people into creating tech no matter the stress, had some personality issues, lots devoted fan interest in branded products, etc.

To be fair, though, Jobs DID have a tech background so that seems to put him ahead of Musk, but Musk feels like he is getting the same sort of tech reverence from his fandom as Jobs did.

So, did Musk replace Jobs in the hearts and minds of the mainstream audience who were looking for a tech industrial messiah?

Oh poo poo, that's a pretty good point.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

nah musk fanboys are way worse and way more insufferable, like people cried over steve jobs because "he changed the world" (:jerkbag:) but musk is "saving the world" so it's on a whole other level imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PhazonLink posted:

because this is the timeline where he gets back into Donnie's favor buy getting rid of all this electronic drive by wire digital crap, and goes back to steam and analog stuff.

Also lol if Musk has play any games himself in years or decades, include games(did Cyberpunk do this??) where he licensed out his likeness for a fee.

e: also someone in the Donnie lol thread posted a birdlink that had this pic

Man I feel so much better about my own horror of a body after seeing that photo.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yup. My friend also briefly made the Jobs comparison. All about the inspiration I guess.

He also pointed out how much the James Webb telescope cost vs SpaceX launches. I didn't know what to say to him about that other than to point out that there are other private space companies launching stuff, including Arianespace, which flawlessly launched JWST. He changed the subject.

I dunno, I would argue JWST is pretty drat inspiring.

I've realized people think NASA personally built things instead of having always contracted it out (hell, the Saturn V has bits by Boeing, Grumman, North American Aviation, etc. NASA was the center of the wheel.) And somehow people got it in their mind that SpaceX is innovating the idea of a company building spacecraft. It's not a coincidence that the biggest success SpaceX has had is supplying NASA with cargo vessels and some crew launches to the ISS.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so was he trying to bait that woman into describing his dick to him cause he hasn't seen it in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man I feel so much better about my own horror of a body after seeing that photo.

the best joke was his body being more pale and lumpy than the cliffs of the Aegean islands