Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i guess when you think of who would have the most motivation to make it possible to wear big bulky costumes in all possible weathers with the added correlation with technical nerds it makes sense for it to be furries

e: perfect page snipe, no regrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

But the Ukrainian military were the first to use it on active duty for its original intended purpose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the Azov Battalion?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Mebh posted:

Thankfully, no. However, everything else became slick with sweat and plasma and horror and we had to stop to clean super often. Also it hurts WAY the gently caress more.

Second session tomorrow. But they have a portable a/c being delivered allegedly.

Here's the design:

Here's how it looks so far:

dope

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cimber posted:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1549071998369792000

What the hell guys, you even importing our form of right wing crazy? Deep state? Seriously, the deep state has gone over to your side?

Technically it’s importing Turkish conspiracy theories since I think the term was invented to describe how the army there used to coup the government periodically.

Anyway we don’t have the deep state in the UK, we have the Establishment and Boris is of course part of it.

E:@Jaeluni, is Jahannum the same word as Gehenna? It feels like it might be.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

happyhippy posted:

Friends have covered their windows with tin foil.
They say the room is 5 degrees C cooler.

their room might be, but they certainly aren't

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

In the Azov Battalion?

No. It came out near the start of the war that the unofficial head of the Ukrainian furry community was a soldier on active service, and he announced that he had been granted permission by his CO to fight the Russians in his fursona.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

sebzilla posted:

poo poo loads of empty shelves in the supermarket, at a guess it's because the chillers couldn't keep things below legal temps and so whole sections were just getting dumped.

I know this one. Today I learned that supermarkets have generators and whatnot out the back for the fridges/freezers and don’t just plug them into the mains. Today for retail has been the day random workers earn awards for inventing new ways to keep what’s in the back from overheating. Mini’s place was almost successful with a hoses from the centre isle with holes in them to create a sprinkler system but it was ultimately futile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I've never asked is whether the AC system also runs off the same refrigerant system as the fridges or whether it has its own loop.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Labour Antisemitism Crisis Watch

https://twitter.com/derJamesJackson/status/1548996724450099200?t=69E9PCX9l5Z008X5dvzUjg&s=19

Ah yes, the good old "all victims" tactic. We know what you are "Kev Stumer" if that's even your real name.

https://twitter.com/JonathanSGlass/status/1548912021906808832?t=aCMMTFPi9iSE5bj0s95XMg&s=19

It's a cult!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

their room might be, but they certainly aren't

i don't think anyone on the something awful forums has any business judging anybody's coolness

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it specifically a memorial to jews killed during the holocaust because they did kill quite a few people for other reasons as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I've never asked is whether the AC system also runs off the same refrigerant system as the fridges or whether it has its own loop.

In that supermarket it was separate and the AC held up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably a good idea given how often the fridges need maintenence lol.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Is it specifically a memorial to jews killed during the holocaust because they did kill quite a few people for other reasons as well.

It is. Its actual title is Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Makes more sense then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Technically it’s importing Turkish conspiracy theories since I think the term was invented to describe how the army there used to coup the government periodically.

Anyway we don’t have the deep state in the UK, we have the Establishment and Boris is of course part of it.

E:@Jaeluni, is Jahannum the same word as Gehenna? It feels like it might be.

They're related words for after death but variant meanings.

I'm no expert though. Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Hinnom_(Gehenna)

and here http://www.naseeb.com/journals/jahanum-gehenna-hell-188312

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's like there are two separate Holocaust memorial days on different dates.

Holocaust Memorial Day remembers all victims of the Nazis.

Yom Hashoah remembers Jewish victims.

https://www.hmd.org.uk/news/what-difference-between-holocaust-memorial-day-and-yom-hashoah/

Meanwhile, while the anti-semitism accusations against the Labour party have been blown wildly out of all proportion to the actual (very low) existence of anti-semitism among the membership, it is great to see it being thrown back in the faces of the new regime especially the ghastly Hodge woman.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hahahaha

The DEEP STATE

Oh yes the hidden society that runs the United kingdom. They desire to return to the EU.

The fact that the loving prime minister from Eaton literally a secret society is blaming the deep state for his woes is insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again that is literally trump, though. Big shot inherited wealth family who is all hobnobbing with the nobs of american society and hollywood who somehow runs as the anti establishment candidate and ends up with his own pile of little war boys demanding to be witnessed storming the capitol building after four years of him doing gently caress all and basically treating the presidency as an amplified twitter account.

People believe what they want to believe.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i think he was brave to say it

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Again that is literally trump, though. Big shot inherited wealth family who is all hobnobbing with the nobs of american society and hollywood who somehow runs as the anti establishment candidate and ends up with his own pile of little war boys demanding to be witnessed storming the capitol building after four years of him doing gently caress all and basically treating the presidency as an amplified twitter account.

People believe what they want to believe.

Yeah it seems like Tories are yelling that the resignations are somehow fake news and Boris is being betrayed by the left or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite probably, I honestly have not been paying any attention. I found a new song to learn instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_KZ4bBglM

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Ideally a lot of it may be in the backup but yeah, the freezers like to kick the bucket under strain and if you don't catch it immediately the whole lot has to be binned.

Of course, if the whole lot has gone out, the backups might also have gone lmao, they all run off a central coolant system. Someone's gonna be having a miserable time.

We had a massive storm and power cut in Ottawa back in May - there were downed power lines and power was off for us for and for huge areas (I think like 300,000 homes) about 15 hours, but for some unlucky people like 12 days. All of the supermarkets near us had to throw out the entirety of their frozen and chilled sections. I went to a hardware store next to a Walmart a couple of days later and there were just tons and tons of pizzas and tubs of ice cream piled up outside. Mental really.

Anyway, hope you're doing OK, UK goons. A tip I've found to work well for cooling you down (particularly at night) is to bung a bottle of water in the freezer, get it properly frozen, then when you're feeling hot, hold it on the inside of your wrist for a bit. You have high-flow blood vessels close to the surface here, so it does a really great job of cooling your whole body down quickly.

E: Lovely song OF, thanks for that.

You know 10 years ago I'd never have thought I'd like folk music but it's funny how your tastes (can) change as you grow older. I'm not even that old, but still.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 19, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I haven't seen it called out itt, so I'd just like to mention that this "deep state" bollocks is just straight "international jewry has undermined our societies" style antisemitism. It's cribbed straight from the OG Nazis.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lorrainemking/status/1549281161066827776

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They're related words for after death but variant meanings.

I'm no expert though. Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_of_Hinnom_(Gehenna)

and here http://www.naseeb.com/journals/jahanum-gehenna-hell-188312

The valley of hinom is actually quite lovely! Plus it's always fun to say you've literally been to hell and back.

For people too lazy to click: The Hebrew word for valley is "guy" so guy hinom probably morphed into gehenom (hebrew word for hell) and then onto all the other variants that people know. There is something in the old testament about it being where evil people get sent as punishment because some Kings murdered a bunch of babies there iirc.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I feel like it’s a mistake, but I need a cup of tea

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tea works

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220718-the-tips-from-science-for-staying-cool-in-a-heatwave

quote:

It is also important to drink plenty of liquid, including hot and cold drinks (unless it is very humid, in which case hot drinks aren't the best idea).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Antigravitas posted:

I haven't seen it called out itt, so I'd just like to mention that this "deep state" bollocks is just straight "international jewry has undermined our societies" style antisemitism. It's cribbed straight from the OG Nazis.

It's really more associated with Turkey, and I'd throw extra water on the idea when Hans Morgenthau was one of the first scholars to posit a dual state in the US, with the elected government on the surface and the security apparatus developing as a shadow government below. (If it needs to be stated, Morgenthau was a German Jew who left the country in 1937)

It's undoubtedly used as a conspiracy theory by right wing politicians, especially ones already in power like Trump & Netanyahu, but as with the best conspiracies there's at least an element of truth to the general concept if not these individual examples.

The notion there's a deep state in most countries is reasonable, see military leaders going to the press to threaten overthrowing Corbyn if he was elected PM, P2 in Italy, the Grey Wolves in Turkey, plenty of examples. The idea it is pitted against right wing politicians, now that's a hoot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's Britain, when is it not humid? 84% humidity right now lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Morrisons in my north Hampshire town, not an area of particular deprivation, have felt the need to move all the spirits behind locked glass. :everythingisfine:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There had better be some spectacular lightning storms after this

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

frankenbeans posted:

Another tip for these hot days. If you have any sort of rotating fan, clean the drat blades. Not only does it makes them quieter, but if there is a buildup of fluff/dust on the leading edge, you'll double the output by removing it.

So there you go, you filthy peasants*

* I cleaned mine about 5 minutes ago. Now I'm sitting in a tornado.

I did this just now, hoooooooooly poo poo, you’re a saint

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

frankenbeans posted:

Another tip for these hot days. If you have any sort of rotating fan, clean the drat blades. Not only does it makes them quieter, but if there is a buildup of fluff/dust on the leading edge, you'll double the output by removing it.

So there you go, you filthy peasants*

* I cleaned mine about 5 minutes ago. Now I'm sitting in a tornado.

I read your post; took the blade out of my fan, dunked it in a hot sink and the plastic crumbled away in bits :mad:

Luckily there was an old fan in the garage with a knackered stand so I have cannibalised the blade from that , but it is an inch bigger diameter than the old one so I an running it guardless for maximum danger. Its much quieter though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The deep state has a woke agenda and wants to queer your kids.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Well that's a win and a loss. I didn't consider 'fan crumbled to dust' to be a possibility.

Broken britun.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

It was chucklesome a while back when touting one of Boris' great achievements as "keeping a dangerous antisemite out of Number 10", by conveniently forgetting that Boris Johnson, himself, is a dangerous antisemite. (And also a racist homophobe.)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1549049127681626112

Just wake up sheeple, you are not really "hot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had to order a new fan blade last year - put the fan on after it being in the shed for 2 years. Kept hearing a pinging sound, and it was bits of the fan blades literally cracking off as it was spinning.