Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

People ask if I'm in ZZ Top and I tell them I'm the drummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Omnikin posted:

Counterpoint: shaving every day so you don't have facial hair

Beards are easy mode

Laser hair removal is the most painful but easiest mode.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I've been told I'm ugly without a beard so I guess that choice has been made for me.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
No one who loves me has seen me without a beard since high school.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Thunder Bear posted:

I've been told I'm ugly without a beard so I guess that choice has been made for me.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MJBuddy posted:

I've been clean shaven once in almost 25 years of marriage and the no hesitation reaction my wife had was "how fast does it grow back?"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

MJBuddy posted:

how is your wife btw

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Now that I think about it, the last time I had sex was when I grew the beard.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Feels Villeneuve posted:

smh if you don't already have Katamari Reroll but it selling badly is why we aren't getting a remaster of the second game

I appreciate y'all giving us Beautiful Katamari on the BC but goddammit port Katamari Forever to something besides the stupid PS3 while you're at it

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

News no man's sky update this week

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1548765491707232257?t=Tarb8Usm7DbtzalW_y6HBw&s=19

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how is your wife btw

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Every Yakuza game is a convoluted crime story that sometimes wanders off for a while before reappearing and making you wonder who these people are because you'll never remember them all. It owns.

Except for Like A Dragon - it does all that, but it occasionally punches you in the guy for being 40 and not having achieved anything worthy of the history books.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

A flex emoji? That's the laziest update announcement I've ever seen.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 19, 2022

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

A flex emoji? That's the latest update announcement I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1528503041816666113?t=m_nJiOV59HhR9uvTq2u_bQ&s=19

It's how he announces upcoming updates now. He's learned to say less.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's going to flex on Starfield

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maybe he should flex on making a not boring game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
no mans sky more like should never score high

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Man, I have spent so many hours with NMS, I absolutely love the game and at the same time I 100% get why people might find it boring af.

The "story" sucks and you're constantly seeing the same things again and again but there's something about the game that makes me go back all the time. It's about the wonder of exploration and that does something to my brain, even if the procgen stuff repeats itself most of the time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

It's about the wonder of exploration and that does something to my brain, even if the procgen stuff repeats itself most of the time.

I mean with fully procgen stuff it seems like you can either make the generated stuff limited enough it's not going to break anything, or you can have it less limited and have a far higher chance of janky, and it breaking in some unforeseen way.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they gave you the option of choosing, and just putting a warning on latter, "hey just FYI this may break your game a bit". But obviously not every type of Progen content can allow for.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The procgen in No Man's Sky breaks too often, at least in terms of being able to finish missions. The game is better than ever but ymmv by a hell of a lot

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

barnold posted:

turned on the console today and it asked me to optimize my external HDD by choosing whether it will stay connected to my Series X or be brought around to other consoles. I'm on the beta branch of the Insider program but none of the patch notes that I can find mention anything about this feature or exactly what it does. anyone else seein this?

Yeah I got these prompts a few days ago, I wonder how it optimises the storage?

Nevermind, answered earlier.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 19, 2022

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I installed NMS a few weeks ago, having never played it before and only having the knowledge of “Underwhelming at launch but they’ve kept updating it all these years”.

My impression is that the game still has very little depth and no amount of updates can fix that. Visit a handful of planets and you’ve seen them all, at least in the sense of what the proc-gen engine is capable of crafting.

I appreciate the scale of the game and how there’s theoretically all these species variants and different calibrations of worlds… but it all started looking terribly similar after a while. Every space station is more or less the same, only a few races to interact with, zero customization on things I’d like to customize… I did progress far enough in the story to get to the Anomaly and even meet Atlas (isn’t this all content that got patched in later?) and found a freighter, which was all cool. But the main course is far too bland for my tastes. By the time the story wanted me to go to the different-colored suns to grind materials or something I gave up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they keep adding loads to what is a fundamentally boring game

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ErrEff posted:

I installed NMS a few weeks ago, having never played it before and only having the knowledge of “Underwhelming at launch but they’ve kept updating it all these years”.

My impression is that the game still has very little depth and no amount of updates can fix that. Visit a handful of planets and you’ve seen them all, at least in the sense of what the proc-gen engine is capable of crafting.

I appreciate the scale of the game and how there’s theoretically all these species variants and different calibrations of worlds… but it all started looking terribly similar after a while. Every space station is more or less the same, only a few races to interact with, zero customization on things I’d like to customize… I did progress far enough in the story to get to the Anomaly and even meet Atlas (isn’t this all content that got patched in later?) and found a freighter, which was all cool. But the main course is far too bland for my tastes. By the time the story wanted me to go to the different-colored suns to grind materials or something I gave up.

You made it farther along than I did. Twice I started fresh games and both times I got dumped on some lovely planet that was slowly killing me while my objective is escape.

But lol good luck finding what you need while the health meter keeps clicking down and the map is useless.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
On paper I should absolutely love No Man's Sky, but the inventory system killed it for me. I'd happily bounce around samey planets for hours and hours and hours but the UI is too clunky for any of the poo poo you're meant to do with the materials you find.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
no man's sky is absolutely fuckin amazing if you have a good couch and a lot of weed and a good solid 20 hours to kill

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah.... you gotta be on fuckin' drugs to enjoy No Mans Sky!!!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No Man's High (enough for NMS to be good)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Man, I have spent so many hours with NMS, I absolutely love the game and at the same time I 100% get why people might find it boring af.

The "story" sucks and you're constantly seeing the same things again and again but there's something about the game that makes me go back all the time. It's about the wonder of exploration and that does something to my brain, even if the procgen stuff repeats itself most of the time.

I've played NMS only for as long as it took to pick up all the achievements (about 82 hours) but I remember grinding learning words until I could understand a complete word balloon on a station. Sadly it was by one of those warrior race dudes who proceeded to profoundly insult me. :smith:

Also I planned on traveling to the centre of the galaxy myself, but it was like 300k lightyears and every hyperjump only took me like 10-50 lightyears closer. So I just found someone who already had a base there, joined him and did the final jump.

It was a good game thanks to all the updates it got over the years, but it's not a great game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

On a similar note I made it about 6 hours into Subnautica before I checked out of the gameplay loop.

I think right about then the discovery and exploration aspects wear off and I’m stuck crafting “hyper gas” or some other gizmo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I would love Subnautica much more if it weren't underwater.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

As Dusk fails is out.

I Didn't make it through the start menu to the game proper.
Instead of being a console game, it has you control mouse cursor with your analogue stick.
It is not just for exploration either. If you have 3 dialogue options, you have to sloooowly move your mouse cursor on top of the choice you want to take.

:ferrari:

Going to try it with a real mouse on a PC, but what a disappointment on XBOX.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

John F Bennett posted:

I would love Subnautica much more if it weren't underwater.

Same but if it had the sealab 2021 characters

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've played NMS only for as long as it took to pick up all the achievements (about 82 hours) but I remember grinding learning words until I could understand a complete word balloon on a station. Sadly it was by one of those warrior race dudes who proceeded to profoundly insult me. :smith:

lmao owned

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

adhuin posted:

As Dusk fails is out.

Instead of being a console game, it has you control mouse cursor with your analogue stick.
It is not just for exploration either. If you have 3 dialogue options, you have to sloooowly move your mouse cursor on top of the choice you want to take.

Well that's a let down. Who loving does that lol

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Isn't this game supposed to be the first (and only?) Xbox exclusive for 2022?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Lazy ports I guess. A few weeks ago Fall Guys came out on console, and when you boot it up there's a very obvious mouse cursor on screen during the first splash screen. It's dumb.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Well there's an option to control it with a phone app (or twitch stream votes) I haven't tried those. :shrug:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Might have something to do with it having a companion app that supports controlling the game remotely. The emulated mouse input would be one solution to accomodate that.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/as-dusk-falls-companion-app/id1573466903

Also has up to 8 player voting… but only local, doesn’t look like it can connect to online games, like if your friend is streaming it on their own? Local network only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

adhuin posted:

As Dusk fails is out.

Doesn't Destiny and some other huge games do this, too?