Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Teen Titans Go. I prefer it to the original in fact.

I really would've liked to have been a fly on the wall for any parents taking their kids to see the movie, because I want to see parents' reaction to Robin literally coming right up to the screen and going KIDS, ASK YOUR PARENTS WHERE BABIES COME FROM, right before cutting to credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1547491627199078401

This sounds potentially significant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teen Titans Go has had a bunch of weirdly informative episodes where it's kind of a joke how it's choosing a fairly obscure and mature subject to teach about for a children's show, like how to manage rental properties, paying taxes, health insurance, and how to buy a used car. I'm not sure if the information ends up actually being absorbed by its audience in the end.

OK KO had a lot of my favorite morals for a kids' show back when it was running, but I guess I also really liked Let's Not Be Skeletons.

No idea what it'll be like when Nintendo starts directly making cartoons, but it'll be interesting at least.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 15, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet they'll have more short animations to promote games, like the Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Star Fox 0 ones, but not like for every game, and nothing over ten minutes. For the most part I'm assuming Dynamo Pictures will help with making cutscenes for everything so Nintendo doesn't have to shop around every time they need something complex.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Looking forward to them being acquired by Disney.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pleasebe2DPleasebe2DPleasebe2DPleasebe2D…

*clicks*

DAMNIT!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I would die of happiness if they made a (good) Metroid show

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgjkDTV-eo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finally getting around to Bob's Burgers, just watched the first two episodes. I love how it just devolves into absolute chaos by the end. Especially the punchline with the Health inspectors and Human Flesh debacle.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm finally getting around to Bob's Burgers, just watched the first two episodes. I love how it just devolves into absolute chaos by the end. Especially the punchline with the Health inspectors and Human Flesh debacle.

It's weird seeing older episodes, especially that episode. The autism joke isn't something they'd do nowadays but Bob going "a hundred?! There's three!" Is still pretty funny. Also the family in general is just way more supportive to each other and... nice after that first season. Once they find their footing they really start to feel different from other animated families by just... not being mean

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An interesting visual gag in the third episode - Bob's menu item of the day after feeling he's losing his daughter to a hot brazillian Capoeira instructor is the "These collards Don't Run" burger. Maybe a little push back against another country invading his life (as far as he perceives it as he's in a bad place, not out of racism though it's just a personal beef with this one guy and it feels like that menu item is him kind of acting out about it in a childish way)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The first season is definitely a "finding their footing" thing since Bob just racks up loss after loss. But it's also less whacky with their finances (we can't afford rent / let's just buy a new couch and then just lose it) and the animation is a little more funny if less technically "good"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The first season is definitely a "finding their footing" thing since Bob just racks up loss after loss. But it's also less whacky with their finances (we can't afford rent / let's just buy a new couch and then just lose it) and the animation is a little more funny if less technically "good"

Was it the first season who established that Bob is in fact a really good chef (especially regarding hamburgers)?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It does have some great lines of dialog though in the first season, like "don't throw Repressed-Memory Emily!" "Oh, she won't remember that..."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

Was it the first season who established that Bob is in fact a really good chef (especially regarding hamburgers)?
There's the episode where he gets into a burger bake-pff and he technically wins (the trophy goes to the celeb chef) and the one where he iut-cpoks his dad. And the one where the Tiki Refurb by his rich friend gets a bunch of people in the door.

He just is pushing a hipster dive aesthetic to a beach bum town.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's weird seeing older episodes, especially that episode. The autism joke isn't something they'd do nowadays but Bob going "a hundred?! There's three!" Is still pretty funny. Also the family in general is just way more supportive to each other and... nice after that first season. Once they find their footing they really start to feel different from other animated families by just... not being mean

You could probably extend that to all sitcom families really. The best ones are those that, even if they'll dump or mock on each other throughout a given episode, if someone else comes in to do the same thing, they're prepared to go scorched earth to defend their family. The family in Malcom in the Middle and the Bundies of Married...with Children come to mind.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Xelkelvos posted:

You could probably extend that to all sitcom families really. The best ones are those that, even if they'll dump or mock on each other throughout a given episode, if someone else comes in to do the same thing, they're prepared to go scorched earth to defend their family. The family in Malcom in the Middle and the Bundies of Married...with Children come to mind.

Bob's Burgers went so far as to spell that out verbally in a fairly early-on episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zero One posted:

Looking forward to them being acquired by Disney.

I think Disney and Microsoft have tried, but a non-Japanese company is almost never going to be able to acquire a Japanese company that doesn't want to be.

Kinda funny given Pokemon's had a lot of in-house production for ages, but Game Freak and The Pokemon Company are second-party where Nintendo has a controlling stake but they're not exactly part of the company overall.

Xelkelvos posted:

The latter two are kinda funny examples given they are explicitly dysfunctional and abusive family dynamics- and in MitM in particular you see a lot of recognisable damage and neuroses in all of the boys from their upbringing- but that does make them a bit more sympathetic.

Bob's Burgers though, from what I've seen, actually goes to a point to demonstrate the family may all be various kinds of weirdos but they know that and they're fine with that, and they have ways to function around each other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Disney and Microsoft have tried, but a non-Japanese company is almost never going to be able to acquire a Japanese company that doesn't want to be.

Kinda funny given Pokemon's had a lot of in-house production for ages, but Game Freak and The Pokemon Company are second-party where Nintendo has a controlling stake but they're not exactly part of the company overall.

The latter two are kinda funny examples given they are explicitly dysfunctional and abusive family dynamics- and in MitM in particular you see a lot of recognisable damage and neuroses in all of the boys from their upbringing- but that does make them a bit more sympathetic.

Bob's Burgers though, from what I've seen, actually goes to a point to demonstrate the family may all be various kinds of weirdos but they know that and they're fine with that, and they have ways to function around each other.

Well much like one of Nintendo's other Second Party developers HAL Laboratory, Game Freak started off as a fully independent developer, indeed their last game before they released Pokemon was a game for the Genesis/Mega Drive called Pulseman, and even after Pokemon they actually have released a surprising number of games on non Nintendo platforms as recently as 2019's Giga Wrecker Alt and Little Town Hero(with their most recent game to not release on a Nintendo platform at all being 2015's Tembo the Badass Elephant), and it's worth clarifying that when it comes to control over the Pokemon brand through The Pokemon Company that at least in Japan it's an equal partnership between Nintendo and Game Freak(and another Nintendo second party developer Creatures) and not merely an offshoot of Nintendo, it just comes off that way here in the West due to Nintendo being way more visible outside of Japan than it's partners

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah the ownership dynamic of Pokemon and the three-way-split are fascinating and the root cause of a lot of stuff people wonder about Pokemon. It not having a single controlling company is one of the reasons the franchise and games can sometimes have trouble innovating and why the overall property seemingly has to just keep repeating the same patterns in such a fixed way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 17, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Yeah the ownership dynamic of Pokemon and the three-way-split are fascinating and the root cause of a lot of stuff people wonder about Pokemon. It not having a single controlling company is one of the reasons the franchise and games can sometimes have trouble innovating and why the overall property seemingly has to just keep repeating the same patterns in such a fixed way.

Does this track when compared with stuff like the MCU though? Some companies are just conservative and don't want to gently caress with the money spigot.

Or am I missing something here, maybe?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The really weird stuff with Pokemon is how much veto power Game Freak and Creatures seem to have over trivial stuff. Like, Smash Bros alternate colors.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DoctorWhat posted:

The really weird stuff with Pokemon is how much veto power Game Freak and Creatures seem to have over trivial stuff. Like, Smash Bros alternate colors.

If this is the reason why Jigglypuff and Pikachu get little hats then I'd say they were right.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
looks like Craig McCracken is heading back to Cartoon Network;

https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/status/1549127321373708288

wonder if that means the Live Action CW PPG show is dead now?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

wonder if that means the Live Action CW PPG show is dead now?

Yeah, I think that... interesting script leaking and Chloe Bennett ditching the project spelled the end.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I think that... interesting script leaking and Chloe Bennett ditching the project spelled the end.

You would think that, but the Variety Tweet for the article leads with “LIVE ACTION SHOW’S NOT DEAD” as it’s opener:

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1549097166764793857?s=21&t=7XkY_SieSATw-ghLRCHAgQ

In my mind, I think Berlanti really wants a live action PPG to happen and no one wants to tell him to let it go

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cartoons123 posted:

In my mind, I think Berlanti really wants a live action PPG to happen and no one wants to tell him to let it go

CW's (and WB in general) been axing shows left and right as part of Discovery's scorched earth policy, the guy's just trying to hold on to the dream before it too gets crushed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

CW's (and WB in general) been axing shows left and right as part of Discovery's scorched earth policy, the guy's just trying to hold on to the dream before it too gets crushed.

Yeah, the only stuff that's safe from the axe at the CW right now is the unkillable poo poo like The Flash, Superman and Lois, and Riverdale. Everything else got hacked away to stem the network's massive money losses in preparation for Warner Bros. selling it off to anyone who will take it off their hands.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, took a break and now it's back into The Loud House mines.

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 11B: The Green House

Season 1, Episode 12A: For Bros About to Rock
Written by Alec Schwimmer
Storyboard by Darin McGowan
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: Lincoln is all set to go to his first concert but is warned by his siblings that his sister Luna (the rock and roll one) can't find out or she will ruin the whole thing by being a huge spaz. She immediately finds out and while waiting in line with Lincoln for tickets is a huge spaz and ruins the whole thing. Lincoln gets fed up with her bullshit and sends her away but looses his spot in line in the process and misses out getting tickets. He tries to buy some tickets from a scalper but it turns out that the scalper is a mall cop and he's thrown in mall jail. Luna comes dressed as Lincoln's mom to bust him out but is immediately caught and thrown in mall jail as well. While in mall jail she reveals that she goes nuts during people's first concerts because her own first concert was life changing and she wants to replicate that experience for her siblings. The cop feels bad and lets them out and the she and Lincoln (and Clyde, who is also there I guess) go to the concert together. They are stuck in the back row but Luna (with Lincoln's permission) teaches Lincoln how to crowd surf to the front and the concert is a tremendous success.

Thoughts: While this one wasn't as rage-inducing as The Green House it was probably a harder sit due to some particularly bad humor and Luna being insufferable for most of the episode. I have this thing where I find it incredibly hard to watch a character do cringey poo poo in front of crowds of people and that is basically her defining trait for most of the episode.

Also, can we talk about the music parodies in this episode? Because they were painful. I've been watching the Gravity Falls episode commentaries recently and Alex Hirsch nails the problem in one of therm. The short version is that good comedy is “observational” in nature, meaning that it's grounded in something you've actually observed in the world which makes the final product feel authentic and real rather than just a cliche that exists because it's supposed to exist in a TV show. This is why good parody tends to come from people who actually love the thing being poked fun at, they actually know something about the topic in question which lets them make clever observations that cut to the heart of why the subject matter is absurd.

You don't get that here. Instead we get very broad parodies of Kiss, Nick Jager, “the opera”, and a generic boy band from people who probably don't know much about any of these things except for what they picked up through cultural osmosis. It all feels very half-assed and the result is incredibly generic and tedious. Why even have a character dedicated to music if you're not going to use her to have fun with the subject matter!?

On the plus side Luna gets a bit more bearable once she's in mall jail which saves this episode from being a complete trashfire. You get to see her backstory (She saw a concert and liked it which is why she's into rock and roll. Shocking, I know.) and in a pleasant turn she actually apologizes for her behavior and grows a bit as a character. It doesn't save the episode but it's nice and in the last act she seems sincerely focused on her brother having fun, which is kind of rare for this show tbh. I just wish that took up more than the last 2 minutes of the episode.

Themes and morals: Have we had an episode where somebody other than Lincoln is the one who has to learn a lesson yet? Maybe Sleuth and Consequences? In any case, while Lincoln is still the POV character this time the moral actually focuses on Luna, who's become so obsessed with recreating her own childhood experience that she's ruined the first concert of all of her sisters. It's a story about how your enthusiasm for something can become a sort of narcissism if left unchecked, and how it can actually drive people away from the very thing you'd like to share with them. Which is... actually a pretty good observation, actually!

No, really. I don't even have all that much to say about it. It's a simple and relatable moral that clearly makes it's point and as a bonus doesn't try and make Lincoln the bad guy for standing up for himself. Good job TLH. No notes. Can you do this in an episode I don't completely hate next time?

Notable Moment: Uuuhhh... gently caress, I don't know. Everything in the episode looks mediocre as hell. Here, I guess have this lazy shot of Lincoln crowd surfing I guess.

All I can see is those static hands being rotated back and forth.

Final thoughts: Why the hell would the mall cop throw a couple 11 year olds who clearly don't know what scalping is in jail?

...It's because Clyde was there isn't it?

Final Rating: Bad.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 19, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Bad.

This was my first episode I believe, and I figured if they were all like this then the serious wouldn't be objectionable. Sadly, I was a little off there. I know Luna's thing is rock (until it's just 'is musical savant' in some episodes) but the weird focus on the Mick Jagger and KISS makes it feel like those are the only rock bands the writers know. Which does lead to something funny later when she gets her own full-length episode about not wanting to sell out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, already posted

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Live action Powerpuff Girls I don't think is necessarily the worst idea ever, but I do think that you'd have to trash enough of the initial series premise in the process of adaptation that it might be easier to just start from scratch. And also Cartoon Network shouldn't be doing it because they should focus more on cartoons. The last attempt to revive the Powerpuff Girls was trash, I think PPGZ was...not great, but okay.

Bringing back Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is also a weird idea, since that premise always seemed pretty shaky to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PPG 3.0 might potentially be better than the last attempt to revive the franchise at least (for one thing Craig is actually involved with this one) but I'm still not terribly confident about the CW series (though I suppose you might be able to make it work if you keep things very tongue in cheek)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They should do a special event in the city of Townsville to launch the new one.

On the other hand that would necessitate going to Townsville so maybe not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I know Luna's thing is rock (until it's just 'is musical savant' in some episodes) but the weird focus on the Mick Jagger and KISS makes it feel like those are the only rock bands the writers know. Which does lead to something funny later when she gets her own full-length episode about not wanting to sell out.

They're probably just trying to make associations with popular acts that a lot of viewers will have seen (or at least be familiar with). Like, I think everybody knows KISS. Love em or hate em or don't care about em, they did a such a good job over the years of making their whole aesthetic iconic that people who don't like the genre at all still know who they are. Jagger probably less so but he's been in the game so long there's a not-insignificant chance that the audience knows him (plus for perhaps more recent cultural touchstone, he was of course heavily referenced in 2011 pop hit "Moves Like Jagger" which would again, at least put the thought "oh that's that guy from the song" connection in audience's heads).

Speaking of that episode, I don't know if anybody knows of/watches the Youtube series Nick Knacks, where a guy documents the history of Nickelodeon show-by-show, but he did a mini-episode on the episode you mentioned in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6_lUywecA

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Time for another deep dive into The Loud House

readingatwork posted:

Season 1, Episode 12A: For Bros About to Rock

Season 1, Episode 12B: It's a Loud, Loud, Loud, Loud, House
Written by Chris Savino
Storyboard by Kyle Marshal
Directed by Chris Savino

Synopsis: After fighting over a quarter found in the couch cushions Lincoln's parents punish the kids by making them clean the attic. While cleaning Lincoln finds a note from the previous owner of the house stating that she left her fortune on the property somewhere. Hijinks ensue as the siblings tear apart the house while following the trail of notes and fighting each other to get to the fortune first. They find the last note but destroy it in the fight, ultimately realizing that they need to work together if they are going to succeed. They use their various skills to locate a briefcase buried in the back yard and discover a whopping $500 which they agree to split equally among themselves. The camera pans back to the parents to reveal that Lincoln's dad had written the note (which was really obvious considering one of the notes was taped to the baby) and the money was from his bonus at work. His plan a complete success, he goes to clean the wreckage of the house.

Thoughts: Oh thank God another episode by Kyle Marshal and the guy who sucks and was fired for sexually harassing his staff. I know I talk up Kyle Marshal a lot but his boarding does so much to elevate what would otherwise be aggressively mid-tier material. In fact, this episode really highlighted to me just how many of the show's problems boil down to an animation style that, while I wouldn't exactly call it “bad”, is usually uninspired and lacks any sort of charm. Not the case here! There's all sorts of fun little moments, character expressions and little background gags you might miss if you weren't paying attention and the result is an episode I unironically enjoyed watching for the art alone.

We also have Chris Savino writing which isn't exactly amazing stuff (the characters are pretty dumb in this one, tbh) but he at least has the ability to make these people somewhat likable which does wonders for the show's watchability. Everybody feels like an actual kid and while people are fighting with each other nobody comes across as hateful, insensitive or cruel. At the end of the day everybody is is viewed by the narrative as equally dumb and in the wrong which is a nice change of pace and the show succeeds in striking the kind of inoffensively wholesome tone the it often tries but fails to achieve. It's not an amazing episode that you have to go see right now or anything, but it's definitely better material than this show normally puts out.

Themes and morals: This episode is a bit wonky thematically in that the characters essentially have 2 lessons to learn. First, they must learn to share money they find, and second they must put aside their differences and work together to do so. The second theme is pretty straightforward with the sibling's fighting frequently undermining their efforts to reach their goal but them achieving it almost instantly once they work together. The first moral though is a bit more complicated.

The episode starts with Lincoln finding a quarter in the couch and a fight breaking out over it. The show seems to think that Lincoln should have shared it with his sisters buuuut... should he? I'm not sold on that idea, and the show never really makes a case for ~why~ things should work that way. It shows how working together helps solve problems and it makes sense that since they worked together the money should be split in this specific instance, but would that have still been the case if Lincoln had just found the money in the back yard? I'm genuinely not sure what the correct answer is. I can see the wisdom in splitting the cash to keep harmony in the family but that's a utilitarian argument, not a moral one, and it's certainly not something most people practice once they move out of the house. Do YOU Venmo your sister a ten spot if you find a $20 bill on the sidewalk? I certainly don't.

It's a weird question, and I'm not sure that there's a right answer to it. Soooo... :shrug:

Also, Dad, what the gently caress? Why would you give the kid's a stack of cash that can't be split evenly 11 ways? You're lucky nobody lost an eye over that last nickel.

Notable moment: So these are the opening seconds of the episode. We start with a striking image of Lincoln entering the frame in an extreme close up which immediately generates interest. This is followed by him peeking up behind the sofa, drawing focus to what will be the focus of the scene. Finally he jumps in from stage right and the camera zooms in so he can start talking about the theme of the episode:

“Money...”

It's a really strong opener and a good example of what sets Kyle Marshal episodes apart from most other ones. Granted, these shows are made by a large teams of people who contribute in a variety of ways so I don't want to give him too much credit or minimize the contributions of other members of the team but I really feel like there's a difference when I seen his name in the credits.

Final thoughts: Hey let's talk about Kyle more! He has some storyboards on YouTube that you can watch if you want and I think they're pretty neat (I love seeing how this stuff is made). Here's one on “The Sweet Spot” which was one of the earlier one's I reviewed.

https://youtu.be/TZF_XJkWG8s

Look at how much personality those drawings have! The art is less polished but it's so much better than the show itself.

Also, I looked at his IMDB and it looks like he's a co-executive producer at Nickelodeon these days which is pretty neat. It also looks like he directs a bunch of the more recent TLH episodes so who knows, maybe there's hope for this show yet!

Final Rating: Good

E: Is there a name for that puckered fish lips face you see all over animation these days? I feel like it's everywhere now thanks to Rick and Morty.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 21, 2022

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So what was dads plan? Making the kids work together? Have a clean attic?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TV Zombie posted:

So what was dads plan? Making the kids work together? Have a clean attic?

He wanted the kids to stop fighting over money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a little odd everybody gets so excited over a quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got some new info on the upcoming Tiny Toons reboot from a panel at San Diego Comic Con:

- No trailer or date of premiere yet. We got one new art presenting Buster, Babs, Plucky, Hamton, Sweety, Fifi and Dizzy (with Taz):

https://twitter.com/TheCartoonBase/status/1550541792818470913

https://twitter.com/ofcthismeanspod/status/1550535007348723712

https://twitter.com/ofcthismeanspod/status/1550535721638801408

- Ashleigh Crystal Hairston is the new voice of Babs Bunny... and she was announced as the voice actress of "Babs, the TWIN of Buster" (so yes, related?)

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1550543265195102208

They also presented some artwork for the show that was described by panel audience as "the true throw back to the 90’s".

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 22, 2022