Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Goats would have been less grating if our theater's speakers weren't set so loud that every time they appeared on screen it was a physically painful experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

They should have started playing Fortunate Son when the little girl got to shoot energy out of her bunny to really drive home the horrors of war

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
that shadow creature summoned by an evil sword had a family

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

THOR2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My big brain take of the kids fighting scene is that it’s a continuation of Thor ignoring the wishes of children just wanting to be children. He was resistant against calling Axel by his new name because “his old name was strong viking heritage blah blah” and now at the climax guess what kids it’s time for me to ignore you’re kids yet again and tell you about your awesome heritage of being space viking warriors.

Their rewards for their bravery and standing up against the monsters? Weapons training with Valkyrie! They’re now well on their way to be the next round of red shirts for our brave heroes to avenge next time a calamity strikes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yes, showing kids casually and delightedly ripping open creatures in violent ways is definitely cool and good

Kids love this poo poo. Lighten up.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

JBP posted:

kids love a lot of things that are bad for them lmao, are you for real?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I played Mortal Kombat when I was 8 and now I'm a hardened serial killer, don't let this happen to others

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The goats were the best part of the movie

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Exactly. They're power fantasies for children. You can't start putting child soldier readings on something like that unless the imagery is invoked whether intentionally or unintentionally and it just way wasn't. Superpowers don't exist in real life and they're not metaphors for guns in these flicks. They're metaphors for empowerment and the choices you make when granted same. Villains on the whole choose to use it for lovely reasons and heroes use them for good ones, and a large part of why Marvel works is that it asks those questions and often comes down on the side of "it's a lot more complicated than we think, but right and wrong do exist, and whether we succeed or not, we have to keep trying to do good."

Actually it’s super easy to say it was child soldiers considering what Thor LITERALLY tells them before he gives them the power of Thor.

Whether it was played as a joke or not it’s literally the text

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JBP posted:

DO THEY???? Imma need a citation on that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought the kids with the power of Thor was awesome. The whole movie is about empowerment and being a good ally which is why its the gayest movie Marvel has made yet. Everything in it is about being empowered.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
movie bad

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollismason posted:

The whole movie is about empowerment and being a good ally which is why its the gayest movie Marvel has made yet

Nope, still Captain Marvel

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

Nope, still Captain Marvel

Now, now, while Endgame had a dude talking about being gay, Thor 4 had that blink-and-you'll-miss-it/can-easily-be-removed-for-the-Chinese/Mid-east-audience of the two women together missing their kids.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My big brain take of the kids fighting scene is that it’s a continuation of Thor ignoring the wishes of children just wanting to be children. He was resistant against calling Axel by his new name because “his old name was strong viking heritage blah blah” and now at the climax guess what kids it’s time for me to ignore you’re kids yet again and tell you about your awesome heritage of being space viking warriors.

Their rewards for their bravery and standing up against the monsters? Weapons training with Valkyrie! They’re now well on their way to be the next round of red shirts for our brave heroes to avenge next time a calamity strikes.

It's mirroring Thor's own childhood being a babe literally plunging into battle. This is how he relates to being a father and it's how he's treating his new daughter as well.

I really did like how this movie challenged and went deep into the running theme of the first 3 Thors, everyone Thor knows dies, and kinda finds a catharsis and answer for it, to still keep his heart open.

This movie seems like its opening a new character arc/issue for Thor, how to not be a problematic Dad. Interested to see if they resolve it as well!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

kids love a lot of things that are bad for them lmao, are you for real?

ha hurry up and just say WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shageletic posted:

ha hurry up and just say WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN

Anyone who would unironically say that would be way more concerned by the Thor butt and the (mostly theoretical) gayness than about the kids fighting.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

there was gayness?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

i think Valky is supposed to be gay? i remember some brief dialogue about it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

She is. And I guess all rock dudes are dudes so that’s also gay maybe?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She is. And I guess all rock dudes are dudes so that’s also gay maybe?

I wonder if the gay rock guys are a sideways reference to Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everyone posted:

I wonder if the gay rock guys are a sideways reference to Steven Universe and the Crystal Gems?

Honestly I think they literally just wanted a stupid Dwayne “The Rock” joke in there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Rock dude with a moustache was a good visual gag.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the kid fight scene ruled. Imagine being a child actor and getting to take part in an honest to god superhero fight scene, doing all the signature dumb action stuff like the sliding weapon hand off etc. They're gonna re-watch that poo poo 100000 times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The kids were kidnapped by a magic god-killing sword-wielding murderer and the viking god of thunder gave them power to protect themselves from literal monsters and had no imagery whatsoever that invoked the actual practice of forcing children to murder human beings.

I'm the chick who earnestly argues, often, that the unintentional politics of a piece of art are still the creator's responsibility, but they have to actually be present for that to be necessary and here they just way weren't.

I seriously worry about how much we raise young boys in particular to think that fighting is admirable, but a bunch of tiny children shooting lightning at shadow monsters doesn't have a real-world analog. This cigar is just a cigar.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

LividLiquid posted:

I seriously worry about how much we raise young boys in particular to think that fighting is admirable, but a bunch of tiny children shooting lightning at shadow monsters doesn't have a real-world analog. This cigar is just a cigar.

Yes. MCU Spider-Man is pretty weird this way, since the setting feels real-world enough that you can't help but feel ways about Raytheon arming a teenager with "instant kill" military tech. But "children defeat shadow monsters with magic" is pretty abstracted from reality.

It's honestly less weird to me than Narnia, where an explicit Christ analog arms children and goads them to murder his enemies in a series of conflicts that get more race-coded as the series progresses.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I think they literally just wanted a stupid Dwayne “The Rock” joke in there.

Was Rock mustache guy actually Dwayne Johnson?

Xealot posted:

It's honestly less weird to me than Narnia, where an explicit Christ analog arms children and goads them to murder his enemies in a series of conflicts that get more race-coded as the series progresses.

The Aslan Diaries

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Now I understand who those "No children were harmed in the making of this film" disclosures are for.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Thor wasn't recruiting the children. They were already there. He could have I guess left them to die, but I think empowering them to defend themselves was probably better.

josh04 posted:

Rock dude with a moustache was a good visual gag.

Reminded me of

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's saying incredibly little, but this definitely was the gayest marvel movie. You had Val talking about the woman she loved dying and flirting with women, Korg's dads + his own husband at the end. It's barely anything when I list it like that but compared to the rest of marvel, lol.

Also I thought the kids getting thor powers was cool. I can imagine some kid afraid of monsters under the bed now imagining their teddy bear empowered with lightning and being able to fight them off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s good and cool to kill monsters

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Good movie overall. A solid 7.5/10.

But I think half the theater must have loudly groaned during the child army scene, and the fact that goons are having so much trouble understanding why, and are bending themselves into pretzels to argue that it was good actually, merely strengthens the criticisms.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Slow News Day posted:

Good movie overall. A solid 7.5/10.

But I think half the theater must have loudly groaned during the child army scene, and the fact that goons are having so much trouble understanding why, and are bending themselves into pretzels to argue that it was good actually, merely strengthens the criticisms.

The silliest thing about Thor empowering the children was that he could have done that in any of the previous dozen or so films but never did. Imagine the Wakandan guard with the power of Thor.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
gonna take a stab the groans were it was a bit too cheesy for them and not that they were thinking about all the third world 10 year olds taken from their villages and handed a kalishnikov or whatever, nobody in my theatre seemed to have a problem

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Because Ultron took them all over and they didn't exist anymore.

But even if that weren't the case, a lot of people's complaints about Marvel movies since the original Avengers begin and end with "why didn't they just...?" and I really can't stress enough that movies would not be better for stopping to explain those things.

If you can do it in ways that serve two purposes, that can work; one that sets up something that's actually important to the film you're watching while simultaneously being another that allays folks' surface questions of "why don't they just use the time turner to defeat Voldemort," but we absolutely do not need a scene in every single MCU film going forward explaining why the Avengers aren't there because it can be inferred by the fact that they aren't that they can't be, and it super doesn't matter why, and this applies to most instances of "why don't they just." The answer to that question is, almost always, because that wouldn't make the film better.

They don't not explain those things because they're bad at making movies. They don't explain them because they're much, much better at making movies than the Cinemasins ding crowd.

Buuuuuuuut...

This is the real problem. Phase 4 might get rehabbed once we know where it's going, but the combination of Covid and Feige spreading himself too thin with the D+ shows and countless films (to say nothing of now also working on Star Wars) is showing up in the watchability of the films now. Eternals is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life.

Of those listed, I only really liked No Way Home, MoM, and Thor, and didn't love any of them. And the latter two had issues that have been spoken of at length with which I agree. They just didn't ruin the films for me as they did so many others.

I was a production manager/1st AD on a flick made by a very young director who kept concerning himself with tiny details at the expense of watchability because somebody at a screening of his last film asked him a question about why a toothpaste tube had its cap off in one shot and not in another, and I told him, "buddy, if they're looking for those things, they either want to hate the flick or we've already lost them emotionally." If the films were as magical as previous phases, people largely wouldn't concern themselves with Why Didn't They Just. They'd be too busy being emotionally invested.

I still like the MCU, but of everything that's happened post-Endgame, while much of it is good-to-great, only Loki and Ms. Marvel had that old magic for me.

I do agree that COVID has made everything feel worse, but the first two phases were just as uneven (Hulk and Iron Man 2 in the first phase, followed by phase 2 which had IM3, Ultron and Thor 2 weighing down the other 3)

4 might look bad because I’d argue that phase 3 went 11/11 and 4 is a bloated mess.

Black Widow was good but should have been in another phase, Eternals was just “ok”, and now we’ve got a forgettable Thor 4 we know is being followed up with a really messy Black Panther.

Not only that but Phase 4 basically told us that in order to keep up with the continuity, we should also watch all the Disney Plus shows, Inhumans, Agents of Shield, Netflix shows, the Xmen animated series and possibly all the Xmen/F4 movies.

Will Blade tell us we need to do the same there? It’s a huge loving undertaking and asking us to potentially give ourselves long COVID in order to possibly enjoy movies in the theatre is a little much.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pillowpants posted:

Not only that but Phase 4 basically told us that in order to keep up with the continuity, we should also watch all the Disney Plus shows, Inhumans, Agents of Shield, Netflix shows, the Xmen animated series and possibly all the Xmen/F4 movies.

No, it didn't. Putting aside that every movie that has followed up on TV show so far has explained everything people who didn't see the show would need to know to follow what the movie is doing, the only things Phase 4 has said you might want to follow to keep up is the new D+ shows. The Netflix shows have transferred to Disney, but the old shows don't seem to be directly informing anything in Phase 4 (not surprising, since it probably wasn't in the plans when they were being made) and we have no idea whether Disney even intends to acknowledge the events of the old shows for the moment. Other shows, such as Agents of Shield, Inhumans and the 90's X-Men animation are getting references at best for the moment.

No-one, anywhere has said you need to be intimately familiar with any of them to follow the movies, and they certainly don't expect their entire audience to do so. They never will either, because one of the successes of the movies is that they are accessible to a casual audience where every movie they've made, with one exception (Avengers; Endgame) could be someone's first movie and entry point into the franchise, and it'd still at least explain itself. They include teasers for upcoming films to draw audiences, but they basically never expect audiences will be inherently familiar with anything in a film.

They are making movies that capitalize on the events of the D+ shows, and they might even start making movies that capitalize on the events in other shows/films they didn't make (though I think it's unlikely it'll ever go beyond references), but they will never, ever, EVER make movies that expect you to have seen even a handful of those movies and shows, never mind every single one of those things. It'd be financial suicide to do so, because it's pretty obvious only a tiny, tiny slice of their potential or existing audience will have done so or want to do so. And they know it. So it's not going to happen.

The only reason I didn't say "they will never, ever, EVER make movies that expects you to have seen even one movie" is because Avengers: Endgame exists, and that was a pretty major exception, given as it was both part 2 of a film on it's own AND the major wrap up for 20 odd previous films. Which, even then, the first part of that film did do some explaining as to the people and events included for new audiences. So even a film acting as the culmination of phase 4+ will probably still do some work to explain the Netflix shows, Fox movies etc. if it acknowledges them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 19, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell, the people making these shows and movies don’t watch all the marvel poo poo. Just watch what you want! It’s that easy!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

tsob posted:

No, it didn't. Putting aside that every movie that has followed up on TV show so far has explained everything people who didn't see the show would need to know to follow what the movie is doing, the only things Phase 4 has said you might want to follow to keep up is the new D+ shows. The Netflix shows have transferred to Disney, but the old shows don't seem to be directly informing anything in Phase 4 (not surprising, since it probably wasn't in the plans when they were being made) and we have no idea whether Disney even intends to acknowledge the events of the old shows for the moment. Other shows, such as Agents of Shield, Inhumans and the 90's X-Men animation are getting references at best for the moment.

No-one, anywhere has said you need to be intimately familiar with any of them to follow the movies, and they certainly don't expect their entire audience to do so. They never will either, because one of the successes of the movies is that they are accessible to a casual audience where every movie they've made, with one exception (Avengers; Endgame) could be someone's first movie and entry point into the franchise, and it'd still at least explain itself. They include teasers for upcoming films to draw audiences, but they basically never expect audiences will be inherently familiar with anything in a film.

They are making movies that capitalize on the events of the D+ shows, and they might even start making movies that capitalize on the events in other shows/films they didn't make (though I think it's unlikely it'll ever go beyond references), but they will never, ever, EVER make movies that expect you to have seen even a handful of those movies and shows, never mind every single one of those things. It'd be financial suicide to do so, because it's pretty obvious only a tiny, tiny slice of their potential or existing audience will have done so or want to do so. And they know it. So it's not going to happen.

The only reason I didn't say "they will never, ever, EVER make movies that expects you to have seen even one movie" is because Avengers: Endgame exists, and that was a pretty major exception, given as it was both part 2 of a film on it's own AND the major wrap up for 20 odd previous films. Which, even then, the first part of that film did do some explaining as to the people and events included for new audiences. So even a film acting as the culmination of phase 4+ will probably still do some work to explain the Netflix shows, Fox movies etc. if it acknowledges them.

So, when the Illuminati showed up and you saw the guy from the lovely inhumans show, Peggy Carter as Captain Britain and Monica Rambow as Captain Marvel...they explained why?

And when Spiderman gets Daredevil as a lawyer?

And when the woman from Falcon and The Winter Soldier shows up to talk to Florence Pugh - you're supposed to recognize her as someone other than Elaine?

Hell, the entire premise of Multiverse of Madness relied on you having watched Wandavision

Edit: I Don't mind that they do this, and I expect them to have a bad movie every now and then since they make so many....I'm just saying its a lot for some.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pillowpants posted:

So, when the Illuminati showed up and you saw Peggy Carter as Captain Britain and Monica Rambow as Captain Marvel...they explained why?

And when Spiderman gets Daredevil as a lawyer?

Yes? They named all of them, gave their purpose (i.e. to be the Illuminati and a lawyer) and explained their powers in the case of the Illuminati. Daredevil's powers weren't explained, but then again, he was only in the scene as Matt Murdock, lawyer. The brick catch was a reference for fans to laugh at, and so quick that no-one who didn't know the reason would care. Anyone unfamiliar with their previous films/shows would just go "oh, this is who they are". Which is literally all the context those scenes require. The fans who know might get more out of it, but the scenes don't require any more than that to function.

Pillowpants posted:

And when the woman from Falcon and The Winter Soldier shows up to talk to Florence Pugh - you're supposed to recognize her as someone other than Elaine?

The film doesn't expect you to recognize her; any more than it expected audiences to recognize Nick Fury in Iron Man. If people do, great; if they don't though, then it doesn't matter. All you need to know in that scene is that someone is giving Yelena orders to target someone called Hawkeye for killing her sister. The person's identity doesn't matter one iota to that scene, or the film itself.

Pillowpants posted:

Hell, the entire premise of Multiverse of Madness relied on you having watched Wandavision

No, it didn't. They reference WandaVision's events once, and Dr. Strange outright says he doesn't care about it i.e. the audience shouldn't either. Beyond that, the movie explains everything you need to know about Wanda to understand what's happening in the film itself.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 19, 2022