Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A thread to discuss Thor and Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I wish they would stop making Thor movies.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not gay enough 2.5*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I thought it was good. I did enjoy it. Natalie and the Chris’ carry it. Could it have been better? Hell yeah. I’m already having it fade from memory like most Marvel movies. But I did like some hints at children fighting back shadow monsters and things that go bump in the night with things like stuffed bunnies and the notion of Superheroes replacing Gods. I also liked seeing Idris/Heimdall greet Jane at Valhalla, I felt that was an earned moment. The ending with Gorr’s wish mirrored Thanos and this movie had a more positive theme and throughline with Thor ending up as Dad and protector God and allowing Gorr at something of a correction.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rarity posted:

Not gay enough 2.5*

I did like the trans representation they had with Axel, even having his dad show up in the afterlife post-credits scene to affirm his son's gender identity. I mean, that was clearly the intention with that plotline, or am I overthinking it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Was pretty bored watching Thor 4. It is shoved securely in my “whatever” category of Marvel movies; not horrible, just…ehh. Chris Hemsworth’s body is insane though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

teagone posted:

Chris Hemsworth’s body is insane though.

He must get great diet supplements

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Today I learnt that you can still be racist towards Greeks. Thanks Taika!

The main problem I had with is that not enough of the jokes were funny. I think part of the problem is that it's trying too hard. Understated humour works best when it catches you off guard, but when the jokes are almost constant that can't happen.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
It was enjoyable enough, but they’ve dialled up the comedy and wackiness to 11, and for me a lot of it just didn’t land.

Like, they took all the good bits from Ragnarok and just shoehorned them into this movie wherever they felt like it. But it just came across as trying too hard to recapture the feeling of Ragnarok, and tonally it doesn’t really fit with the movie.

In Ragnarok you have Goldblum’s Grandmaster and all of the stuff associated with him, which is funny. The villain and his plan in this movie is anything but funny, but they still shove jokes in all around it.

I’d almost go as far to say that I prefer Dark World to this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The goats were obnoxious imo. Not funny.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I'd put it in the third tier of MCU movies. Wasn't terrible, but didn't feel cohesive and the after credits scenes weren't any good.

Ragnarok > Thor > Love and Thunder > Dark World

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

I thought they were great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was incredibly bored for the first half of the movie, but I thought there was genuinely great stuff in the second half.

Not exactly eager to rewatch it or anything, but it wasn't terrible. Goats were the worst part.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Ok, here's my theory why the film feels oddly pieced together: it was!

They were doing reshoots, aka additional photography, on this film into early April. And that was their second round of reshoots, and those days are when almost all of Axel's scenes were filmed. So his character "development" and inclusion in the meat of the film wasn't actually realized until 3 months before the film's release. In fact, everything they shot during those reshoots is in the film which is the bulk of the kids stuff. Which makes me wonder what the hell the movie looked like before that second round of reshoots.

Did they decide on the film's final scene with Heimdall and then realized they needed to shoehorn in an emotional link for him to the film?

I recently learned that Marvel's method is shoot a film, assemble it, and then figure out what the story is. Then reshoot, reassemble, then reshoot again. Doctor Strange 2 went through 5 months of reshoots, and they only stopped because Bernerbatch Cumblebum decided he was done.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I really liked it. Solidly a tier two Marvel movie and my favorite Thor movie.

I find the complaints about the tone interesting because I thought Ragnarok was much worse in tgat regard. The silly Sakaar sojourn seemed really out of place in the middle of the story about Hela's evil imperialist ambitions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I change my mind. Thor 4 sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Goatgate

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I thought the goats were hilarious. I laughed out loud every time they did their thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Did Russell Crowe mellow out? Cuz I’m pretty sure he would have committed hate crimes against everyone in that palace 10 years ago

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I enjoyed this but every. single. loving time that Guns'N'Roses came up I was annoyed. Jesus Christ, 4 loving times? How lazy were the music choices? It was at least cool to hear Rainbow in the Dark for the credits but you could have filled this movie with more choice bangers like that instead of surface level overplayed poo poo like Guns'N'Roses.

Ugh!!

Anyways... agreed with Roth, first half is completely boring and I couldn't believe the movie was almost over when things finally started picking up. Hemsworth is dumbed down even further in this it seems - he bounces from absolute moron to hyper competent within seconds. It didn't feel this weird in Thor 3. Most of the jokes fell pretty flat and gently caress those loving goats. I guess they are alien but christ, we all know they don't walk around screaming non-stop.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Dark world is better because it didn't suck, unlike this movie. If the comedy was ever funny in this movie then the tone problems wouldn't be so awful. -1/10

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
fun, funny, entertaining and heartwarming.

one moment that got a noticeable reaction during my watch in the god city bit was the appearance of a Maori god which seemed pretty obvious since Taika was making it.

but yeah could have been a bit gayer. Wasn't Valkyrie supposed to be in the market for a queen?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I demand more of Bao, God of Dumplings.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Overall, good movie. Anyone who doesn't like the goats can gently caress off because they were cute and funny and they were my friends.

That said, I have to complain to someone about this, so random internet ranting!

What the gently caress was up with that opening section with Jane? Introduce her having cancer, down in the dumps, goes to Asgard on a weirdly unstructured whim and the hammer reacts to her? Ffs guys I'm not even a screenwriter and I can pace this better.

Cut all of that. Introduce her as Mighty Thor, have it be her first scene in the film. She's strong, she's powerful, moved on with her life compared to emotionally unsteady Thor, solid contrast in the moment. Give a quick Korg flashback at some point to the various off screen adventures that she was up to protecting Asgard while Thor was offworld. Then insert the bathroom scene where she transforms back, you see her sick, you realize she's vulnerable, maybe even play up that she's hiding it as a secret.

Establishes everything that the film did, but you don't have a ton of drawn out exposition that drags down the pacing, and you preserve the reveal for a heroic moment.

Seriously tho, dem screaming goats.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I felt like this movie also had a lot of moments that almost made it seem like they thought the audience was stupid?

When they have the talk about Jane staying behind to get the cancer treatment and the hammer would kill her, we knew as a audience that was going to be what she chose. The jump cut when Thor was about to get stabbed, was kind of extraneous. It felt like a reminder that wasn't necessary. As an audience member you KNOW Jane is gonna swoop in and save him, we don't need to be taken out of the moment to be reminded "here's the hammer next to her on the table!"

I felt this a bit about the end too. I thought it would've maybe been better if Gorr's wish always was kind of intended to bring his daughter back, or if he saw Jane and Thor's love that was what sparks it. But spelling out exactly that he can just wish for his daughter back is just kind of lame.

Finally, I also felt like Gorr's motivations were kind of lame. Losing his daughter is a good hook, and of course he's gonna find out the Gods suck. Why does that first god he meets have to basically just be a huge dick and his motivation is that evil sword makes him think all gods are like that? Literally no nuance. I mean at least Malekith's motivation was he wanted to make the universe more habitable for his people.

Caros posted:

What the gently caress was up with that opening section with Jane? Introduce her having cancer, down in the dumps, goes to Asgard on a weirdly unstructured whim and the hammer reacts to her? Ffs guys I'm not even a screenwriter and I can pace this better.

Cut all of that. Introduce her as Mighty Thor, have it be her first scene in the film. She's strong, she's powerful, moved on with her life compared to emotionally unsteady Thor, solid contrast in the moment. Give a quick Korg flashback at some point to the various off screen adventures that she was up to protecting Asgard while Thor was offworld. Then insert the bathroom scene where she transforms back, you see her sick, you realize she's vulnerable, maybe even play up that she's hiding it as a secret.

Establishes everything that the film did, but you don't have a ton of drawn out exposition that drags down the pacing, and you preserve the reveal for a heroic moment.

100% agree, that's exactly the kind of issues I have with the plot in this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited to see which MacGuffin it is makes the villain evil in the Black Panther sequel :)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Rarity posted:

Excited to see which MacGuffin it is makes the villain evil in the Black Panther sequel :)

It's Namor so probably miscommunication.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Used to watch Thunderbirds ‘movies’ on a Saturday morning, which were just omnibus editions of the serials with scenes removed for running time. They never made much plot sense, but there was always an explosion or cliffhanger or something to distract. God this film reminded me of them.

‘our hero must choose as the two women he loves are tortured in front of him’ was getting sent up asa trope 25 years ago, wtf.

For a film whose ultimate climax is that love conquers all, having every earnest moment between characters undercut by an ironic quip makes it feel really hollow.

The water realm/planet piece seemed incredibly rushed.

:smith: they’re taking the children!

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 9, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

teagone posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJX8qfEUoLk

Contains Goatspoilers.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
The perspective gag with the boat slamming into the Shadow Realm planetoid followed by the goats screaming was the most Looney Tunes thing ever and I was 100% there for it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The annoying scream gag was done better in Dumb and Dumber. It overstayed its welcome in Thor 4 imo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I felt like this movie also had a lot of moments that almost made it seem like they thought the audience was stupid?

When they have the talk about Jane staying behind to get the cancer treatment and the hammer would kill her, we knew as a audience that was going to be what she chose. The jump cut when Thor was about to get stabbed, was kind of extraneous. It felt like a reminder that wasn't necessary. As an audience member you KNOW Jane is gonna swoop in and save him, we don't need to be taken out of the moment to be reminded "here's the hammer next to her on the table!"

I felt this a bit about the end too. I thought it would've maybe been better if Gorr's wish always was kind of intended to bring his daughter back, or if he saw Jane and Thor's love that was what sparks it. But spelling out exactly that he can just wish for his daughter back is just kind of lame.

Finally, I also felt like Gorr's motivations were kind of lame. Losing his daughter is a good hook, and of course he's gonna find out the Gods suck. Why does that first god he meets have to basically just be a huge dick and his motivation is that evil sword makes him think all gods are like that? Literally no nuance. I mean at least Malekith's motivation was he wanted to make the universe more habitable for his people.

100% agree, that's exactly the kind of issues I have with the plot in this.

It’s probably because this movie was made for literal children OP

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Vintersorg posted:

I enjoyed this but every. single. loving time that Guns'N'Roses came up I was annoyed. Jesus Christ, 4 loving times? How lazy were the music choices? It was at least cool to hear Rainbow in the Dark for the credits but you could have filled this movie with more choice bangers like that instead of surface level overplayed poo poo like Guns'N'Roses.

They could have but it's absolutely the point in putting surface level jukebox hits in there, so people go "hey that song I like!" Always comes off as cheap and lame imo

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I thought the first two thirds were mediocore, particular the middle, but for me personally, the emotional weight of the last third actually made this my favourite mcu since Black Panther.

Someone above talked about Jane's choice being obvious from the point it was presented, but I don't think it lessened the impact for me, and the central message being 'time is limited, and the only thing worth using the little you have with it is love' just seems a lot richer, valuable and poignant than anything that came out recently. Maybe just in comparison to the fact I'd seen Dr. Strange 2 and The Batman recently, and both seemed completely lacking in any meaning

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

adhuin posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJX8qfEUoLk

Contains Goatspoilers.

I’d probably find this funny as a one off gag but yeah no it becomes wildly obnoxious very fast

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Caros posted:

Overall, good movie. Anyone who doesn't like the goats can gently caress off because they were cute and funny and they were my friends.
:words:

Seriously tho, dem screaming goats.

I've been unable to put my finger on it, but yeah, I think they felt like a mountain of exposition was needed for some reason. Like, I can understand tailoring the story for fans so they don't necessarily need to have watched 30 movies to keep up. But at the same time, there was easily a better was to start the movie. The beginning was kind of a drag and I felt like it recovered well for the 2nd and 3rd acts.

Overall, it's a mid-tier MCU effort. But I love camp and silliness so this was right in my wheelhouse. I loved those goats too.

Oh, and the kids element.. I got the impression that perhaps Marvel realized, "uh, we have to appeal to kids too. What can we do?" Then they tacked on the plot that made Gor the villain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang so kids would have someone their own age to root for, and make Gor a little scarier. I didn't mind it, and really thought empowering the kids with Thor powers was kind of cool. This is all a theory, but that was part that felt *off* tonally, to me, from the rest of the movie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Doronin posted:

I've been unable to put my finger on it, but yeah, I think they felt like a mountain of exposition was needed for some reason. Like, I can understand tailoring the story for fans so they don't necessarily need to have watched 30 movies to keep up. But at the same time, there was easily a better was to start the movie. The beginning was kind of a drag and I felt like it recovered well for the 2nd and 3rd acts.

Overall, it's a mid-tier MCU effort. But I love camp and silliness so this was right in my wheelhouse. I loved those goats too.

Oh, and the kids element.. I got the impression that perhaps Marvel realized, "uh, we have to appeal to kids too. What can we do?" Then they tacked on the plot that made Gor the villain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang so kids would have someone their own age to root for, and make Gor a little scarier. I didn't mind it, and really thought empowering the kids with Thor powers was kind of cool. This is all a theory, but that was part that felt *off* tonally, to me, from the rest of the movie.

What messed with and continues to mess with me is that they had the bones of a very solid film and just made some frankly baffling omissions that were right there in terms of easy wins.

In addition to the above mentioned better introduction of Mighty Thor, their failure to reincorporate the breakup note is just weird to me.

You've got the third act, with Thor and Jane at the hospital, in love but arguing over whether or not their job should take precedence over her life (and by extension her romantic life). Have the argument be irreconcilable in the moment, they both separate and then thor leaves a beautiful handwritten note for her (and takes Mjolnir) while he goes off to fight Gorr.

You get a really solid reincorporation of a thing you've already set up as important (that they're both really bad at confronting one another in extremely dire moments) and you get the payoff of this time the she doesn't let the note be the end of it. She shows up on a magic horse not as Mighty Thor but as a plain old Jane, reinforcing the idea that she is a hero with or without the powers.

Or how about Mjolnir in the first place? You reintroduce Jane as Thor, and have her backstory be that she used super science to repair the hammer. So she's worthy of Mjolnir not because of a cute line from Thor, but because she was able to repair it and use it to defend Asgard while Thor was still off sulking. Hell, you even use this to drive home why Mjolnir 'likes' her more than Thor, seeing as she's the one who put it back together and drives home the themes of Thor being bad at picking up the pieces when things go wrong.

Good film but goddamn it, give the script a couple more passes and you'd catch this poo poo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Caros posted:

What messed with and continues to mess with me is that they had the bones of a very solid film and just made some frankly baffling omissions that were right there in terms of easy wins.

In addition to the above mentioned better introduction of Mighty Thor, their failure to reincorporate the breakup note is just weird to me.

You've got the third act, with Thor and Jane at the hospital, in love but arguing over whether or not their job should take precedence over her life (and by extension her romantic life). Have the argument be irreconcilable in the moment, they both separate and then thor leaves a beautiful handwritten note for her (and takes Mjolnir) while he goes off to fight Gorr.

You get a really solid reincorporation of a thing you've already set up as important (that they're both really bad at confronting one another in extremely dire moments) and you get the payoff of this time the she doesn't let the note be the end of it. She shows up on a magic horse not as Mighty Thor but as a plain old Jane, reinforcing the idea that she is a hero with or without the powers.

Or how about Mjolnir in the first place? You reintroduce Jane as Thor, and have her backstory be that she used super science to repair the hammer. So she's worthy of Mjolnir not because of a cute line from Thor, but because she was able to repair it and use it to defend Asgard while Thor was still off sulking. Hell, you even use this to drive home why Mjolnir 'likes' her more than Thor, seeing as she's the one who put it back together and drives home the themes of Thor being bad at picking up the pieces when things go wrong.

Good film but goddamn it, give the script a couple more passes and you'd catch this poo poo.

I liked that Thor accidentally enchanted the hammer to protect Jane. I just wish that had a payoff for someone besides the audience. Like half the movie he’s upset the hammer picked her. Maybe he should have had a realization that it’s doing it because he wanted it to?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Doronin posted:

Seemed like they were setting Axl up for the Young Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like that Gor got this supposedly cursed blade and then proceeded to get everything he wanted, no consequences. He was already at death's door when he got it!