Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deadlock was a bit hard to get into because like the first half of their show is always in-jokey patreon stuff and DPW updates. Even now I usually end up skipping forward until I hear them starting the observer notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Deadlock was a bit hard to get into because like the first half of their show is always in-jokey patreon stuff and DPW updates. Even now I usually end up skipping forward until I hear them starting the observer notes.

I still have no idea how DICK THE COCK JOHNSON got started but it's still funny as hell every single time :shrug:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i dunno, it's inside baseball but it's also not very complex inside baseball. i don't know how dick the cock johnson started, but it doesn't matter, you just have to know it's a thing that started a long time ago. same with what the dog doin, but again all you have to know is that it's a thing.
the patreon shoutouts weren't that funny to me initially but they are now one of my favorite bits of every episode.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was iffy on deadlock when they stopped reviewing modern stuff and went retro only shortly after I started listening but they won me over.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

sleepwalkers posted:

i dunno, it's inside baseball but it's also not very complex inside baseball. i don't know how dick the cock johnson started, but it doesn't matter, you just have to know it's a thing that started a long time ago. same with what the dog doin, but again all you have to know is that it's a thing.
the patreon shoutouts weren't that funny to me initially but they are now one of my favorite bits of every episode.

It's definitely not, and their laughter is so infectious that it's hard not to laugh at "DICK. THE COCK. JEEEEOHNSON" even if you don't really understand why. I just meant I could see why it might take a couple times for someone to fully get into em.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was iffy on deadlock when they stopped reviewing modern stuff and went retro only shortly after I started listening but they won me over.

I was also bummed when they stopped reviewing Dynamite but the shows have been great since stopping so eh. Plus they still shoutout stuff that happens occasionally if it's a big enough deal.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

fez_machine posted:

If you want Cornette-lite there's The Lapsed Fan (although it's mostly retro stuff)

Personally I don't like it but if you need many of the same opinions but without the racism and lots of impressions it's there for you. I listened to their coverage of the Omega/Okada series and didn't enjoy it, especially the weaselly defence of Bill Demott.

Haven't listened to them in a while. What dumb poo poo did JP have to say about the matches?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

explosivo posted:

That's what I started to do and it's made me enjoy the episodes so much more.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I will say though this week's story about them ordering $90 worth of chicken fries and milkshakes from BK though Uber Eats and not getting it was pretty goddamn funny.

"Malik, you bitch!"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

same with what the dog doin

It's from the Tough Enough episode

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
it's like an 8 year old meme

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Everything JP says is stupid as gently caress. The boy is thick

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dangerous Person posted:

Haven't listened to them in a while. What dumb poo poo did JP have to say about the matches?

Nothing out of the usual for people who don't like the matches (and he's being fed the Cornette opinions beforehand). Doesn't like how Kenny emotes, they do too much for too little effect, one winged angel is a bad finisher with a stupid name, Japanese layouts don't make sense, NJPW three count cadence is weird and annoying, "star ratings don't mean anything", his cohost clearly likes the matches and wrestlers more than he does but soft shoes it etc. etc.

Oh poo poo I forgot the weird "ching chong bing bong" sounds he makes listening to the Japanese commentary. Which they have to do "It's not/I'm not racist" disclaimers for.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 19, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

i dunno, it's inside baseball but it's also not very complex inside baseball.

I think this gets to the heart of it. The Pisscast is the same, it's a lot of inside joking about Surge and sandos but it's all in the delivery. Just pure infectious joy.

I had to leave the gym floor the other day listening to the Deadlock segment where a listener asked them to book Kidd Bandit and they incredulously comment that they've been on every single DPW show so far.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

NienNunb posted:

Dream podcasts:

- Mike/Craig/Brent

With Vinny forced to be in the room, on camera

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

It's from the Tough Enough episode

yes i know that part but i don't know where the original comes from!!!!

but also i don't have to because it's not complicated and i just laugh along :)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think this gets to the heart of it. The Pisscast is the same, it's a lot of inside joking about Surge and sandos but it's all in the delivery. Just pure infectious joy.

I had to leave the gym floor the other day listening to the Deadlock segment where a listener asked them to book Kidd Bandit and they incredulously comment that they've been on every single DPW show so far.

They were in the first ever DPW match :lol:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Did you know WrestleMania 4 was 2 VHS tapes?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

Did you know WrestleMania 4 was 2 VHS tapes?

Beta stays winning in the format wars as it didn't get Mania 4!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

anyone want to buy this from me

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Cavauro posted:

anyone want to buy this from me

idk 59.95 is a bit steep

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's one of a few dozen beta betas. who's betta than beta? nobeta.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

A long shot here, but I listened to a podcast episode via this forum and I wonder if anyone remembers what show it was.

The episode was about the Smackdown after 9/11, it was 3 guys, one of them was working as an army recruiter at the time.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

keithy george posted:

A long shot here, but I listened to a podcast episode via this forum and I wonder if anyone remembers what show it was.

The episode was about the Smackdown after 9/11, it was 3 guys, one of them was working as an army recruiter at the time.

Definitely Pisscast. Oatgan bleeds red, white and blue.

Can someone upload all the Pisscast episodes? The archives are gone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MUF should come back with a gimmick of Beta Max where he keeps getting rejected by women or something.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Jubs posted:

Thanks. I keep thinking about it every so often:

When asked to recall the events of 9/11, one of them just goes on a continued story about how an episode of the Brady Bunch was being interrupted by the news.

One of them worked in army recruiting, the office was completely swamped with recruits after 9/11, we have 20 years of hindsight and yet they all agreed that there should have been a draft.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

keithy george posted:

Thanks. I keep thinking about it every so often:

When asked to recall the events of 9/11, one of them just goes on a continued story about how an episode of the Brady Bunch was being interrupted by the news.

One of them worked in army recruiting, the office was completely swamped with recruits after 9/11, we have 20 years of hindsight and yet they all agreed that there should have been a draft.

This is probably not actually the Pisscast

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jubs posted:

I only have the one episode where they read fanfiction but I think people deserve to hear it again.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I may have some sort of incomplete pisscast archive laying around, including some lost episodes. Perhaps I’ll start a patreon.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Karmine posted:

I may have some sort of incomplete pisscast archive laying around, including some lost episodes. Perhaps I’ll start a patreon.

You could just upload other podcasts in place of the ones you're missing

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

fez_machine posted:

Nothing out of the usual for people who don't like the matches (and he's being fed the Cornette opinions beforehand). Doesn't like how Kenny emotes, they do too much for too little effect, one winged angel is a bad finisher with a stupid name, Japanese layouts don't make sense, NJPW three count cadence is weird and annoying, "star ratings don't mean anything", his cohost clearly likes the matches and wrestlers more than he does but soft shoes it etc. etc.

Oh poo poo I forgot the weird "ching chong bing bong" sounds he makes listening to the Japanese commentary. Which they have to do "It's not/I'm not racist" disclaimers for.

Sounds about right. Jack is usually way more open to new wrestling. Not surprised about the commentary, them doing that poo poo the last time they did a bunch of Japanese matches was one of the reasons I dropped them

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I tried to listen to a couple of highly recommended Lapsed Fan episodes and I had the same bouncing off problem that some people have reported with Deadlock.

"Oh. It's hour 6 of the show and you're doing another vince voice bit about how you're going to cram chris benoit up my rear end. I see."

Not my vibe and thats ok!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Those old school wrestling review shows sure like being racist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

projecthalaxy posted:

I tried to listen to a couple of highly recommended Lapsed Fan episodes and I had the same bouncing off problem that some people have reported with Deadlock.

"Oh. It's hour 6 of the show and you're doing another vince voice bit about how you're going to cram chris benoit up my rear end. I see."

Not my vibe and thats ok!

Same, Lapsed Fan seems like it has some good research in among hours of grating impressions and dude who thinks he is way funnier than he is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Speaking of which, the deadlock pod was very good this week. Jawnny reenacting the cops talking to Stone Cold about his "little toy 38 special" had me dying on the way to work this morning.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Another pod I've been enjoying lately that I haven't seen plugged here is Butts in the Seats Podcast. It's another "experienced fan takes new fan through retro stuff" one, this one focusing mostly on WCW beginning in 1998, but its a husband and wife team and I like their energy. More positive and fun than osw or something.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Those old school wrestling review shows sure like being racist.

Is this a continuation of the posts above? Or are you specifically referring to OSW?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

forkboy84 posted:

Same, Lapsed Fan seems like it has some good research in among hours of grating impressions and dude who thinks he is way funnier than he is.

Yeah I really wanted to listen to the entire steroid trial run but it got really annoying after a while.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

keithy george posted:

Thats between the sheets

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dango Bango posted:

Is this a continuation of the posts above? Or are you specifically referring to OSW?

It is both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

keithy george posted:

Well wait they with hindsight wanted a draft thinking we should have invaded Afghanistan and Iraq harder with millions of troops? Or they wanted a draft so domestic political pressure would have ended the wars sooner?