Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Pennsylvania and Ohio would be 13 and 14 but this map is only showing the top 12

I was thinking that maybe "top" in this context means "not south of any US state", and that would explain why Hawaii, Ohio and Pennsylvania aren't colored in. But Wisconsin doesn't fit with that scheme at all.

I think this map might not be entirely serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess technically part of Ukraine was ruled by authoritarian Russia, that kinda counts as a hybrid regime?

Although to be honest, Ukraine wasn't really a very healthy democracy even aside from the wars. There's a lot of videos of fistfights in the Ukrainian parliament. Although of course, the most destabilizing element for Ukrainian democracy was still proximity to Russia.

The general "health" of a democracy is going to be pretty subjective, and you'd have to wade pretty deeply through a lot of local news to know of all the issues (otherwise, the grass will always seem greener in places where you know the least about).

I mean, Zelensky is basically a comedy option/populist/anti establishment candidate who mainly got elected on a platform of not being a corrupt oligarch like all the alternatives. My understanding is that the entire system below is also pretty drat corrupt. But at least they actually had enough democracy to elect the guy who played piano with his balls, that's a good start.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

steinrokkan posted:

Not Germanic enough

There's so many maps like this and I think you're right. France: a republic, lets me vote from overseas without a care, easy as gently caress to renew my passport, gets angry about democracy, la grève is national pastime
UK, weird nordic fuckers: has house of lords, has a literal irl monarchy that loads of people around the world are horny for, potential monarchs are pedos, now just UK specifically as worst of the lot: has been lurching through political crises for my lifetime, has Ulster unionists, doesn't hate itself, large contingent of people who still think the Empire ruled, and not a cool napoleonic empire, a poo poo one, also created Harry Potter and Sherwhovians

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 18, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I was thinking that maybe "top" in this context means "not south of any US state", and that would explain why Hawaii, Ohio and Pennsylvania aren't colored in. But Wisconsin doesn't fit with that scheme at all.

I think this map might not be entirely serious.

even without an international border i guess wisconsin as a certain je ne sais quoi that pa and ohio lack which is why it's in the top 12

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

in honor of the page number, the politically loaded maps of 1918

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/jessecase/status/1548709406652731392

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's so many maps like this and I think you're right. France: a republic, lets me vote from overseas without a care, easy as gently caress to renew my passport, gets angry about democracy, la grève is national pastime
UK, weird nordic fuckers: has house of lords, has a literal irl monarchy that loads of people around the world are horny for, potential monarchs are pedos, now just UK specifically as worst of the lot: has been lurching through political crises for my lifetime, has Ulster unionists, doesn't hate itself, large contingent of people who still think the Empire ruled, and not a cool napoleonic empire, a poo poo one, also created Harry Potter and Sherwhovians

Denmark's "house of lords" (I assume you mean the upper house, called Landstinget) was disbanded when we shifted to unicameralism in the 1950s

(note that the parliament of Greenland is also called the Landsting, but it's got nothing to do with the older upper house of Denmark)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The English House of Lords is mostly unelected noblemen who are only in the highest position of power because their dad was. The rest is random cronies appointed by whoever is in power and a mix of religious leaders.

None of these people are elected by the common man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only country other than Iran with legislator-clerics appointed based on their position in the hierarchy of the state religion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Only thing more unpleasant than the lack of actual democracy in the UK is listening to Brits tell you how all the poo poo that makes their broken political system not a democracy doesn't count for ~*reasons*~

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemniscate Blue posted:

WTF? If you sail directly north from any point in Hawaii you will hit Alaska's southern coast.

I didn’t know that, but it makes sense once you mention it.

quote:

Given the thread I'd expect people to know that the inset maps showing AK and HI are just that, and that's not where they're really located.

I did know that!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Only thing more unpleasant than the lack of actual democracy in the UK is listening to Brits tell you how all the poo poo that makes their broken political system not a democracy doesn't count for ~*reasons*~

look it may sound like a nonsense system where the ruling class get to do what they like, but it's truly a complex set of precedents and conventions that truly respect what the ruling class has gradually conceded is the amount of democracy that they're willing to give up. it is a system that beautifully succeeds in holding them to account by the people, unless they just decide to ignore the conventions and precedents, which they can if they want to at pretty much any time. but if some other rich powerful person objects they might print something mean about them in the paper so they don't do it unless they think they can get away with it. which is most of the time because the people who write for the papers went to school with them

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carthag Tuek posted:

Denmark's "house of lords" (I assume you mean the upper house, called Landstinget) was disbanded when we shifted to unicameralism in the 1950s

(note that the parliament of Greenland is also called the Landsting, but it's got nothing to do with the older upper house of Denmark)
Yeah, the British system is far more antiquated than that of other European monarchies, outside like Liechtenstein. The upper house we disbanded in the 1950s was explicitly designed to be "a moderating influence", but even that was not based on actual hereditary titles. The British system still has feudal institutions in place that were abolished in 1849 (Denmark) and 1866 (Sweden).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

e: a hospital manager was just convicted for buying welding masks instead of proper PPE for his hospital’s covid ward, holy poo poo

I’m going to need to hear more about these welding masks.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to need to hear more about these welding masks.

Just one more fun fact - the company that won the tender and supplied the welding masks is called Travel 4 Fun Ltd.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

We had head of police drug squad of the capital city as a literal organised crime boss, importing drugs and framing others for it. Also, perhaps murder. And Finland is on the bottom (real countries) of that list? What is happening in other places?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Letmebefrank posted:

We had head of police drug squad of the capital city as a literal organised crime boss, importing drugs and framing others for it. Also, perhaps murder. And Finland is on the bottom (real countries) of that list? What is happening in other places?

Most of it is to do with drug smuggling in some respect. Maybe Finland just isn't one of those pathways where as other countries further south are?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Letmebefrank posted:

Same, but the president is the crime boss

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Just you wait soon every state's abortion law will be Jeb!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guavanaut posted:

Only country other than Iran with legislator-clerics appointed based on their position in the hierarchy of the state religion.

Hey, don't forget the Supreme Court!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey, don't forget the Supreme Court!

Nah, the USA privatised religion and are appointing judges based on merit (abhorrent views). It's a much more efficient and controllable system.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Saladman posted:

Bosnia has a really lovely government, possibly even more dysfunctional than Belgium’s.

Basically, from what I can tell, BiH’s government is standard for Central Europe whereas Srpska’s is standard for Eastern Europe.

And the big arguments come from the deadlock that occurs on what should be the federation’s biggest priority: corruption or genocide.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Triggered by the green taking the southern philippine islands and skipping them for the red

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Triggered by the green taking the southern philippine islands and skipping them for the red
Yeah my eye is twitching a bit. Also the fact that if Japan and more of Indonesia was included the red circle could be a lot smaller.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

This seems like a sustainable compromise!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1549032503696134144

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kind of impressed at the little knot of crashes out at the very tip of Navy Pier. Maybe delivery trucks trying and failing to turn around at the end of the access road along the north side of it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Kind of impressed at the little knot of crashes out at the very tip of Navy Pier. Maybe delivery trucks trying and failing to turn around at the end of the access road along the north side of it?

Idk this place specifically but if you have a even slightly restrictive delivery area where a driver can hit a pole, car, dumpster, wall, door, forklift, and probably several things im not thinking of, not only will a driver hit it but they will hit it every loving week

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah my eye is twitching a bit. Also the fact that if Japan and more of Indonesia was included the red circle could be a lot smaller.

Idk, you'd gain japan and indonesia but the rest of the new area would just be water. I wouldn't be totally surprised if all the land bits in africa and europe on the west end up outweighing those - most of the land is a lot less dense but there is a whole lot more of it. Admittedly i can't be bothered personally compiling a precise data set of worldwide population by square kilometer or whatever so I'm just making wild guesses

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Powered Descent posted:

That or I think there’s a parking garage near the tip. That would explain it.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No higher resolution?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No higher resolution?

Found one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
You know what they say: as goes Slaverb, so goes the nation.