Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If you're not a big fan of fanwankery and characters returning that make no logical sense you're going to love the next part! I'm going to attempt a recording tonight and I already know where I'm going to end it.

Oh oh oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

In this video, George returns to Rue Jarry in an attempt to speak to Nico and then leaves Paris in an attempt to find talk to a new contact. This video is fairly short which is s mostly down to being a good place to end the video and chapter. I apologise for just completely dismissing the logic puzzle that was there just for the sake of having a puzzle there to complete an absurd task. I went into this game blind and I'm trying to stay positive but it's starting to wear a little thin.

I was meaning to post this before I went to bed last night but the HD processing was extremely slow.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's a puzzle to the code? I thought you were just supposed to try combinations as there aren't a lot.
Also George hates many things including dogs, computers and calendars.
At the rate of old character appearance I'm now expecting the labourer and the two policemen from BS1 to arrive.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

By popular demand posted:

There's a puzzle to the code? I thought you were just supposed to try combinations as there aren't a lot.
Also George hates many things including dogs, computers and calendars.
At the rate of old character appearance I'm now expecting the labourer and the two policemen from BS1 to arrive.

Here is the notes that are on the piece of paper:

I'm not an electrician but I'm pretty certain that this isn't how fuses and fuse boxes work. The person who left these notes decided to write down a riddle, specifically to turn off the computer, instead of an actual code like a normal person for some reason.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
After the first episode I was interested in where the story would go, but yeah both the "fanwanky"-ness and George being really grumpy are putting me off, but I guess it is pretty impressive for a fan game.

As for the arctic comment, the woman in the manor said the office was at the end of the Northwest Passage, which is the name of the sea route between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans through the Arctic Ocean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fish and chips and dip posted:

After the first episode I was interested in where the story would go, but yeah both the "fanwanky"-ness and George being really grumpy are putting me off, but I guess it is pretty impressive for a fan game.
It's always particularly disappointing to see that so much effort has been put into something so bad. At least if it was low-effort garbage you could dismiss it as being about what you'd expect, but clearly people put a lot of time and work into this and it's such a shame that they didn't make something better.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Even though I went into this blind I went into this with good faith. I had heard good things about it and read many positive things about it. The whole concept behind it and how it reached Revolution was also inspirational and made me want to include the game in this series even more. I'm trying to work on a test run for the next recording but right now but I'm stalling as the opening location and a conversation that happens there bother me enough that I feel like I need to talk about it, and I don't like talking too much. I've spoken about continuity errors, illogical puzzles and the weird character traits added but have tried my best to look past them. There's just a point now where I feel like I'm starting to feel pedantic about issues even though I feel like I have some legitimate questions, I want to be positive but I also want to be honest about how I'm feeling.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I don’t like complaining, since it’s a fan effort, but was there no feedback on the guy doing George’s voice? The bits of French and German he spoke at the beginning were atrocious, and that pronunciation of Marseilles was painful.

Also, it feels like there was something missing before the scene with Nico - the last time they spoke she basically told him to gently caress off, and now they’re suddenly back to normal?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaroff posted:

I don’t like complaining, since it’s a fan effort, but was there no feedback on the guy doing George’s voice? The bits of French and German he spoke at the beginning were atrocious, and that pronunciation of Marseilles was painful.
The voice acting is about the last thing I'd complain about in this game. The audio quality is decent and they're clearly amateurs doing their best. I've heard much worse in professionally made games that were sold for money.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Also, it feels like there was something missing before the scene with Nico - the last time they spoke she basically told him to gently caress off, and now they’re suddenly back to normal?

Tiggum posted:

The voice acting is about the last thing I'd complain about in this game. The audio quality is decent and they're clearly amateurs doing their best. I've heard much worse in professionally made games that were sold for money.

Yeah I'm definitely not going to complain about the voice acting, especially as they probably did it for free.

I don't know what to say about the story progression of this game. Things are happening because of reasons but there's no real logic behind how we get from a to b.

I recorded another video this morning and it's going to be another fairly short one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I decided to play a little further and it seems like the update after tomorrow's is going to start with this game giving a big middle finger to the storyline of the first game. :thumbsup:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Nico hasn't heard from George in a while so she follows him to York to investigate his disappearance.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah I'm definitely not going to complain about the voice acting, especially as they probably did it for free.

I can sympathize with that (since I have done EXACTLY that myself).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not going to lie to you, this whole thing absolutely annoyed the piss out of me:

This video starts off with a five-minute sequence involving a lot of dialogue that completely shits on the storyline from the first game.
George declares that he isn't a thief, despite doing a lot of thieving before and after declaring so.
George mentions twice that he didn't notice someone laying on the floor in plain sight.
We have a screwdriver in our inventory but apparently, the only thing that can cut sellotape is a dog tag.
We have a dog that can seemingly only hear a dog whistle from two feet away which creates an unnecessarily convoluted puzzle.
Don't get me started on George using the dog whistle to get people's attention! or using the bomb to open the doors

-------------------------------------------

Indian Wrestling

I'm not even going to spoiler tag this one as I'm still trying to get my head around the use of "Indian Wrestling", feel free to stop reading here if you don't want the game to be spoiled as I'm going to bang on for a bit before applying it to the game.

I'm not sure what exactly they were meaning with this as it feels like a mistranslation. I don't know whether they were going for Indian Arm Wrestling or Indian Wrestling as the way they spoke about it in the game was confusing. Indian Arm Wrestling is a highly competitive sport with specific equipment and it has some strict rules so I doubt that they are referring to this but George's response to the offer of a match added to the confusion.

Indian Wrestling could be a couple of things:

quote:

1. A form of wrestling in which two opponents, lying supine in reversed position, lock their adjacent arms, raise and lock their adjacent legs, and attempt to force the other's leg down.
2. A form of wrestling in which two opponents stand facing each other with usually right hands interlocked and the outsides of their adjacent feet set together and attempt to unbalance each other.

When George is presented with the offer of "Indian Wrestling" he corrects Mike & Steven with "Arm wrestling, you mean?" and then nothing more is mentioned. Arm wrestling is plausible in a pub, not because a key is broken and someone needs help, but it's a common thing as a test of strength in a pub setting in England. I'm not saying that Indian Wrestling couldn't happen in a pub but it's an absolutely bizarre thing to include in the game.

Edit: I'm playing more of the game now and it is arm wrestling. :bang:

Samovar posted:

I can sympathize with that (since I have done EXACTLY that myself).

Tell us more.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 18, 2022

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The dog whistle puzzle reminded me of the puzzle in Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush has to climb the tree, but at least that had the fortitude to repeat the task a few times and then have the game take over.

I’m a bit confused where they are - the train would suggest they’re on the London Underground, but when they get off they’re still apparently still in York (based on the football team)?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
York having not only an airport, but an international hub airport, as well as a subway system, maybe they confused it with New York?

Also, will the strange change in relationship between Nico and George be addressed? She seemed to hate him at the beginning and now it's like they've never had a falling out at all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh, it's something I've mentioned a couple of times elsewhere in the forums - but X-com 2 has an international voice pack as a mod, and I did the Scottish Male soldier voice, entirely free of charge (I just figured it would be a good laugh, and something to do while I was searching for work).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have no idea what is going on in York. I get that they put a fictional airport and an inner city train network to make things more convenient for gameplay purposes. But I don't get why they didnt just set things in Manchester, which actually has an airport and an inner city train network.

What was going on with the truck that Nico used to break them both out? Did they leave it there and escape on foot? Did they drive it to the train station and then abandon it? Why didn't they just drive it to where they needed to go?

Zaroff posted:

The dog whistle puzzle reminded me of the puzzle in Monkey Island 2 where Guybrush has to climb the tree, but at least that had the fortitude to repeat the task a few times and then have the game take over.

At least that had some logic behind it and it didn't drag it out.

Also, will the strange change in relationship between Nico and George be addressed? She seemed to hate him at the beginning and now it's like they've never had a falling out at all.

Nothing in this game makes sense!

Samovar posted:

Oh, it's something I've mentioned a couple of times elsewhere in the forums - but X-com 2 has an international voice pack as a mod, and I did the Scottish Male soldier voice, entirely free of charge (I just figured it would be a good laugh, and something to do while I was searching for work).

That's really cool! Scotland needs more representation in games.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

This was the most nonsensical this game got up to this point, starting with Khan's story.
Why did the developer changed the handgun retroactively?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have no idea what is going on in York. I get that they put a fictional airport and an inner city train network to make things more convenient for gameplay purposes. But I don't get why they didnt just set things in Manchester, which actually has an airport and an inner city train network.

Revolution is in York, that's why. Though it could have been done by maybe having it just be a little cameo (like still be set in Manchester but has a quick visit, or a mention from some character that they went to the release party).

This has all the hallmarks of being made by fans who take the thing they like way too seriously. Every character and little detail has to show up so it can receive recognition and an expanded back story, and the events of the game were the most important things in the life of any of these characters (even George seems to over-emphasize the details of what he did). You can also see it when they poke fun at Broken Sword by severely insulting it, because it's such an obvious joke to them that nobody would possibly think the game would be ignored and forgotten. Then on top of that you get what the really intense fans do -- insist that they can 'improve' the original, that it would be so much better if only there had been these changes that make little or no narrative sense but fit the fan's definition of what is best. Of course, it's only those sort of fans who would actually go to the effort of making an amateur game in the first place.

What's sorely missing is the light tone of the original games, which was its saving grace for me. Another five or ten years of work and they'd likely have made it a gritty re-imagining.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George finishes off his time in York by spiking another man's drink, doesn't steal from tourists and then finds out where we need to head next in our search for the Templars. I thought that I was going to talk more during this recording as I had a lot to say during the practice run, I think the wind has blown out my sails with this game as I don't have the energy for it anymore. Can anyone summarise the meeting with the random man as it just seemed to go way over my head with tangents.

This was the most nonsensical this game got up to this point, starting with Khan's story.
Why did the developer changed the handgun retroactively?

Nothing in this game makes sense. Why did they say that Khan wasn't a Hashashin after all and was really working for the Templars?

Kangra posted:

Revolution is in York, that's why.

Ah yes, that explains it!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:v:"Good day stranger I'm Dr Lannibal Hactor, a mild mannered psychologist."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m going to assume that final shot of the video was you giving up on the game entirely? :)

It’s frustrating - there are the bones of good puzzles here such as sneaking into the museum or getting past the guard, but they’re just so poorly resolved!

Did I miss where George realized he has to go back to France and (now Portugal) to find Nico? Video game logic aside, I’d have thought the logical assumption would be to look in the UK…

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:v:"Good day stranger I'm Dr Lannibal Hactor, a mild mannered psychologist."

I don't really understand this character. Is the guy a cannibal or was he messing with George's head? Did he bind himself or is he in an institution? I'm confused by this as the more he spoke it seemed to imply he was actually unwell and dangerous, which doesn't explain why he's sitting alone in a random park all chained up. The more that he banged on the more my mind started to drift off.

Zaroff posted:

I’m going to assume that final shot of the video was you giving up on the game entirely? :)

It’s frustrating - there are the bones of good puzzles here such as sneaking into the museum or getting past the guard, but they’re just so poorly resolved!

Did I miss where George realized he has to go back to France and (now Portugal) to find Nico? Video game logic aside, I’d have thought the logical assumption would be to look in the UK…

That was me jumping on the plane to Portugal never to return!

I have absolutely no idea as they don't properly explain it. From what I have followed so far, Khan has seemingly kidnapped Nico and George is more concerned about getting a bed for the night and flying to Portugal.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
It's like there is missing dialogue from Khan dropping a hint or something that he is looking for the seal and needs Nico for it. I haven't played this game, I just assume Khan and Nico will be in Portugal and that Nico is essential for Khan/The Neo Templar's plans for *reasons*.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's like there is missing dialogue from Khan dropping a hint or something that he is looking for the seal and needs Nico for it. I haven't played this game, I just assume Khan and Nico will be in Portugal and that Nico is essential for Khan/The Neo Templar's plans for *reasons*.

I was thinking that Khan would be in Portugal too so I decided to read further along. The answer to this train of thought was not surprising.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, George visits Tomar and finds someone who knows about the seal and what the Templars intend to do with it. This part of the game is a massive plot dump with a lot of dialogue and apart from the sci-fi stuff, a lot of the history they speak about has been adapted for the storyline or it's been completely made up. This will most likely be the penultimate update for this game, I haven't completed a test run of the next section of the game but there isn't a whole lot left to do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ookay, and here I thought the story couldn't get any stupider...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

What was the response to this game at the time?

I’d say most people here are fans of the series (or at least care about it), and I think it’s fair to say the overall response has been mostly unanimous in that it’s a great and impressive endeavour however let down by a poor story, odd characterization and disappointing puzzles.

I’m just curious whether we’re just miserable sods, or if the community as a whole felt the same?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Broken Sword 2.5 and it's been quite an experience. On the positive side, the graphics and voice acting were great. The writing was ambitious for the most part but full of plot holes and the fan service was far too over the top. I could see where they were going with the game design but progression in the game was not a smooth transition and most of the puzzles were absolute trash. I did enjoy my time with this game to begin with but I was ready for it to end several updates ago.

Bonus video: Death Reel

There are six occasions where you can die in the game. Nothing really happens apart from the screen fading to black but the death reel is a time-honoured tradition. These six occasions can happen at the Montfauçon Fuse Box, France Nationale, Hotel Ubu, Tomar Well, Plane To Beijing, Wuhang Dig Site.

Up next: Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon.

Zaroff posted:

What was the response to this game at the time?

I’d say most people here are fans of the series (or at least care about it), and I think it’s fair to say the overall response has been mostly unanimous in that it’s a great and impressive endeavour however let down by a poor story, odd characterization and disappointing puzzles.

I’m just curious whether we’re just miserable sods, or if the community as a whole felt the same?

The ones that I have found from around the time of release were full of praise for the game. Most of the reviews that I've found for this game have been from over the last few years and they have been a mixture of average to good reviews, the average reviews are pretty much in agreement with what we have been saying here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:kstare:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I believe the correct description is "their ambition exceeded their abilities." There are some real gems in here, and if someone experienced were able to polish the game I think it would have been a definite winner. As is, I'd probably put it in the "halfway decent fanfic" category.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Having only really played BS1 and some of 2, I’m really looking forward to seeing where 3 starts, and why the gap between the two led people to think a game was needed to bridge the gap.

For a fan-made game, it’s really strong - visually and musically it feels like a continuation of the previous games. The 3D animation feels out of place, but without knowing what’s coming I can’t say whether it’s going to be in line with future games.

As has been pointed out, the writing lets it down (although to be fair, while the idea of the Templars building a time machine is dumb, it doesn’t feel as bad when comparing it to the climaxes of the other games!) There is definitely some poor characterization - especially with George, but also other things like George meeting so many Templars experts in the strangest of places!

There are definitely some odd writing decisions which should have been edited (such as the killer on the bench, or the guy going on about airlines deliberately poisoning people) as they feel more like writers with Things To Say rather than anything to push the plot forward.

It also suffers by traveling all over the world, and not doing anything with it - everything seemed confined to one location without traveling to places on the map. It’s more like an escape room than an adventure game.

I do wonder where the game was when they got the assets from the official games - a lot of the old familiar locations seemed forced in unnecessarily, and I wonder how much was rewritten to accommodate them. Maybe we would have had a less fanwanky game had they not gotten the assets and felt obliged to use them all?

At the end of the day, the fact it exists, plays well and feels like a Broken Sword game is success enough - especially for a fan game! It would be interesting though to see someone take a second stab at it and try and fix the problems with it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It kind of strikes me that adventure game protagonists, for all the damage they cause, tend to be fairly non-violent. What exactly is George's kill count now?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

It kind of strikes me that adventure game protagonists, for all the damage they cause, tend to be fairly non-violent. What exactly is George's kill count now?

I don't have an accurate count right now, we are talking double figures if we are going by Bannockburn alone.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 27, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Powerful seismic events are shaking the world. Something sinister is emerging. An Ancient Conspiracy, the Secret of the Templars, and a fiendish source of pure Evil are responsible. The death of a back bedroom computer hacker in Paris is just the beginning of another extraordinary adventure for George Stobbart and Nico Collard.

Welcome to the third instalment of the series. Gone are the 2D environments and point-and-click interface, we are now in the modern day of 2003 and the technology has shifted. The transition to 3D is actually quite good, especially compared to other franchises that made the shift to 3D around the same time as the controls are simple and moving around is smooth. The puzzles generally stick to the same old formula but the developers of this game took some notes from action-adventure games of the time as there are crate puzzles and puzzle platforming. Make of that as you will but they tried it out in this game and scrapped them for the fourth game.

This video is short, it contains the opening cutscenes and the opening area which acts as a tutorial of sorts. I thought that I had the sound levels worked out but it seems like I need to turn them down a couple of more notches.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'll say this much - the icon of a literal sword being broken by a bolt of lightning is evocative. Of what, well - I suppose we'll find out!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta say the graphics are really nice for 2003. A lot of care went into animating these models.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Is it just me, or did the female voice on the TV in the Paris scene sound a lot like Nico from the earlier games? Or is that the point that she's a TV journalist now. I guess I'll have to find out.

anilEhilated posted:

Gotta say the graphics are really nice for 2003. A lot of care went into animating these models.

Came to say the same thing, a lot of 3D from that time has not aged well, this looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we follow Nico as she arrives at the hacker's apartment and in the aftermath that follows her visit.