Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HolHorsejob posted:

5 days to transport each dupe over, and you need one dupe with field research to activate the supply teleporter, one with superhard digging, and one with suit wearing to deal with the oil biome without almost dying. I have a mod to reroll the printer and I've just been doing that instead. Bootstrapping oil from starting to plan to executing on it is a 20+ day turnaround.
Why not just use a skill scrubber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I ask for some help debugging a thing?

I'm trying to follow the instructions here. https://imgur.com/a/Zhsjuc6

What I built is here.

Here's the ventilation view.

Is the problem that there's so much hydrogen in the loops that new hydrogen can't get in? I'm also very confused by why the outputs from the hydrogen loop are connected to the input of the valve.

No hydrogen leaving the loops? Seems like a gremlin in the vent pathing, it wants to stay in the loop rather than go toward the generator. Probably because there are two loops going to the same pipe. A bridge after one/both loops to force the direction should fix it.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
Are those valves set to 1g limit?

Alternatively, each loop sees the other as an input, so doesn't know to pick between loop input and hydrogen generator...add a bridge or two to 'lock' the flow direction towards the generator.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Faldoncow posted:

Are those valves set to 1g limit?

Alternatively, each loop sees the other as an input, so doesn't know to pick between loop input and hydrogen generator...add a bridge or two to 'lock' the flow direction towards the generator.
This.
Either you need to set the valves to 1g/s, or add a bridge just after the outlet from the valve to force the flow direction.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wow, Niobium volcanoes suck.

Now I got to fly back to magma planet and fix it, which is going to be a whole thing since I only dug out exactly as much space as I (thought) I needed.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Remember to clear the eggs out of your pip cages occasionally or things can get out of control pretty quick.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yes...hahaha....YES!!!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Only another 300 cycles until until liquid hydrogen! If you play at my pace.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Panty Saluter posted:

yes...hahaha....YES!!!

I see many liquid bridges in your future

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HolHorsejob posted:

I see many liquid bridges in your future

You mean for vacuum locks? I have a mod that seals airlocks :v:

That being said, I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I'm not at the point of needing liquid H2 or O2 yet, and won't be for a while. Hell, I'm only just now bringing back space materials. If I want to explore more I need to bump up oxylite production. I may just have to dehumanize and face to the oxylite forge. I have excess O2, but not much gold. My pufts are taking their sweet-rear end time laying dense eggs. :argh:

Also how have I slept on Thermo Regulators with hydrogen loops for so long? I've used one to drag some sour gas down to -150. Seeing if it can actually condense all of it to methane. Also it's keeping my bristle blossoms cool while using the heat to keep the pincha peppers hot. Ez pz

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

You mean for vacuum locks? I have a mod that seals airlocks :v:

That being said, I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I'm not at the point of needing liquid H2 or O2 yet, and won't be for a while. Hell, I'm only just now bringing back space materials. If I want to explore more I need to bump up oxylite production. I may just have to dehumanize and face to the oxylite forge. I have excess O2, but not much gold. My pufts are taking their sweet-rear end time laying dense eggs. :argh:

Also how have I slept on Thermo Regulators with hydrogen loops for so long? I've used one to drag some sour gas down to -150. Seeing if it can actually condense all of it to methane. Also it's keeping my bristle blossoms cool while using the heat to keep the pincha peppers hot. Ez pz

Liquid bridges skip over the tile in the center. Since a fair bit of your piping in any liquid cooling setup is just insulated pipe between the radiant pipes you're cooling and your aquatuner, you can reduce the amount of insulated pipe (and thus the amount of supercoolant to fill them) by 1/3 if you use bridges in all your pipe runs.

Supercoolant is an upgrade for anything where you need cooling or heating. If you've got only a small amount, you can make a compact heat exchanger to cool a secondary cooling loop of pwater or whatever else if you've already got a base cooling loop set up. Last base, I was playing around with a diamond window tile counterflow heat exchanger trading heat with granite conveyor and pwater cooling loops, and they worked really well once they settled to a proper temperature range. In a 2-aquatuner x 3-steam turbine combo, the cooling is almost power-neutral, and steam chamber temperatures settle at around max power point if everything is running full-tilt.

Apart from H2 or O2, you can make a sour gas boiler, freeze out CO2 and chlorine instead of collecting them, or freeze out liquids/gases so your dupes can haul them around more easily. My next project with it is going to be a liquid O2 setup where I use valves to transport 1 kg packets of liquid O2 to provide oxygen and cooling all around my base, and all the overflow for launching rockets.

And yeah, seconding you on thermo regulators + H2. They're great for deep-freeze food cooling setups and bean/sleet wheat farms where you don't need to do a ton of cooling and you don't want to mess with liquid cooling.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
so you just alternate ipipe - bridge - ipipe - bridge? don't the bridges allow heat exchange?

e: i do have a ton of sour gas from a petro boiler misstep. Maybe I'll just condense all of it. I could do it with a regulator but it takes forever and a day

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

so you just alternate ipipe - bridge - ipipe - bridge? don't the bridges allow heat exchange?

e: i do have a ton of sour gas from a petro boiler misstep. Maybe I'll just condense all of it. I could do it with a regulator but it takes forever and a day

I don't know about the heat exchange, it doesn't seem to leak noticeably. The calculations line up pretty neatly (a 25C delta on a SC to pwater heat exchanger, ~70C delta on a SC to granite conveyor heat exchanger), so it can't be all that much.

Sour gas boilers are pretty wild. My first attempt, I ran a sour gas boiler with a crude to sour gas heat exchanger, and I ended up in a situation where I had trouble sourcing enough heat to boil the crude to sour gas from the aquatuner's heat alone. A lot of the designs include a liquid tepidizer to cheat around this problem.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

They basically act as a teleport between input/output. The bridge it self can leak temperature if you put the bridge directly over an insulated tile with the input/output inside of a hot/cold area.

You can actually abuse this to make more efficient heat exchangers by doing this with conveyor bridges as seen here:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I've seen people mention using bridges to move heat, but I don't understand how exactly it works or what the advantage is. Does it function as a three-tile long building but the heat transfer skips the center tile? How is this more effective than just using a door in between two metal or diamond tiles?

AotC
May 16, 2010

HolHorsejob posted:

I've seen people mention using bridges to move heat, but I don't understand how exactly it works or what the advantage is. Does it function as a three-tile long building but the heat transfer skips the center tile? How is this more effective than just using a door in between two metal or diamond tiles?

Afaik it's just a way of adding extra heat transfer so you can get higher amounts of throughput than the traditional tile/door setup.
You can also do weird stuff like this: https://i.imgur.com/EbxFBMi.mp4

I've also seen wire bridges used to stabilize multiple layer liquid locks to make sure they don't vaporize.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

Thermal mass and added conductivity. Bridges let you thermally link two over a gap of 2 as the bridge is the same temperature at both ends always. Layers of material/conductive/pipe bridges let you make narrow (1x3/4/5) heat zones. Very useful for more compact heat exchange. I have a pre space sour gas + petrol design a few pages back that uses them extensively.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
OK, so...I think I understand why people spend so much time on sour gas boilers now. I simply deposited a few kg of methane and it sucked up ~60C of heat energy (the area around the oil pump was a little over +40C beforehand) and it turned into a LOT of natty gas. If you can swing the energy needed for the initial conversion you can get a perverse amount of energy to run your base. Also explains why maintaining heat energy for sour gas boilers is so tricky

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if there is one bug i wish to jesus in heaven they could fix it's got to be the save freeze that causes tiles to strew themselves across the map. like this one that deconstructed a very bad tile and flooded my base with sour gas. which i am now pumping out. :argh:

on the flipside, i got to work with supercoolant and let the sulfur sit in the liquid methane. now I have so much thermal mass that I'm freezing the methane and the aquatuner is working less than ever

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
btw, they fixed the disappearing energy bug when dripping water some time ago, so you don't need to leave pools of oil/petrol on the bottom of your steam chambers anymore

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't think I've ever run into that bug. I use the liquid more as a temperature buffer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the tl;dr of it is that if you dripped water into a steam chamber (say, the output from a steam turbine) a bunch of energy would get lost when water hit the ground, and then instantly turned back to steam, causing your steam turbine to provide much less power from your turbine/tuner combo, but oddly enough this didn't happen if you had another liquid laying on the floor. took them a couple years to fix it and it was just an aside in a minor patch so i still see people doing it because they don't know

incidentally, the best temperature buffer you can use is probably just adding some more steam, since water has an insane amount of heat capacity :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
True enough, although I think the steam density is up around 100kg/tile. I guess mopping the oil would keep it from stealing any of the heat

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
honestly probably not worth bothering, once it's at temperature it's no difference really

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Too late. :v: It doesn't hurt though, I expanded the room so all five intakes are in use and with all water (I also swept the room) it stays active more often at ~250W. Wondering if I can hit the 6K achievement with this setup. We're gonna try :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Haven’t played this in three years or so but I noticed there was an update with radiation and I want to see how this can gently caress up my little dudes.

Have there been any big mechanical changes? Or just new stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Haven’t played this in three years or so but I noticed there was an update with radiation and I want to see how this can gently caress up my little dudes.

Have there been any big mechanical changes? Or just new stuff.

e: actual info: you won't have radiation unless you bought the dlc

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 10, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This is fine.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

oh jay posted:

This is fine.

cap it with a couple steam generators and get tons of clean water and some power to boot. works4me

while I'm here, is there any reason to keep wolframite ore around? if i have gold amalgam at least. Or should it all become tungsten?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

while I'm here, is there any reason to keep wolframite ore around? if i have gold amalgam at least. Or should it all become tungsten?

Wolframite doesn't have an overheat bonus but it does have a very high melting point. It's nice for stuff like conveyor rails or fire poles in very hot places (although Steel is nearly as good, and Thermium is better.)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I kinda figured that steel would be a good substitute in a lot of cases. If you have ample iron (and I do) it's not as rare either.

I did just get thermium and don't have a use for it....yet :madmax:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah I kinda figured that steel would be a good substitute in a lot of cases. If you have ample iron (and I do) it's not as rare either.

I did just get thermium and don't have a use for it....yet :madmax:

Convert it back into niobium and replace all your copper ore things (doors, airflow tiles, chairs, etc) with niobium ones for $$decor

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tungsten does have a higher melting point than thermium though, so don't use it all up. But not much use for wolframite, I think.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
What are some good mods to pick up in tyool2022? The pliers tool looks really cool, but I think all the version on the workshop aren't working currently? I feel like one of the better airlock mods would be helpful because liquid locks seem silly and fiddly; I like the look of the one that adds the new 3x2 building, but the simple one that just makes the standard airlocks not leak is more popular. Any must-haves I should look at?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The mod named “Pliers fixed” works, and you definitely want it. Unless you like mopping.

The only other two I use are called something like “Greater Zoom Out” and “Sweep By Type”.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I use self sealing airlocks. Total game changer. I also recommend bigger zoom out because stock zoom is terrible

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Haven't been on the workshop in a while and there is some wild poo poo. Like this Space Radiator and a Portal Cube. No idea how good they are but people come up with some wild poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I tried using another radiator mod once and kept breaking pipes by freezing petroleum in them.

I think honestly it would be fine if I used like a buffer that shut off flow to the radiators once the coolant got cold enough but I didn't know how to set stuff up back then.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trip report after not having played ONI for years:

the multiple worlds is cool, I sent 3 of my dudes on a one-way trip to a hell world. Looking forward to doing it properly

Either it’s a lucky seed or frozen biomes are a lot more common than they used to be. I basically have free cooling for everything early to mid-game and shitloads of free water late-game.

Running with the lucky seed theme, got a hydrogen vent right between home and a frozen biome so I get to skip all the lovely power gen options and get free cooling for the base right away.

I forgot that water sieves don’t remove germs :negative:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think some of the new biomes are relatively cool, especially the swamp. SO! tries to ease several things in the game.

If you have dirty water, there's always a chlorine room...or breed some fancy new sani-shells :getin: