Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

learnincurve posted:

If anyone has small animals then wet a towel and put it on their enclosure, will bring the temp down as much as 5 degrees.

Does this work on human-sized enclosures? Can you just run a garden hose straight onto your living-room carpet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's too hot. I'm in Northern-ish Scotland and it's too hot. RIP to all you poor fuckers down in southern England. I hope the silver lining that this may at least thin out the population of tory olds a bit gives you comfort in this difficult time.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Interesting https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/19/tony-blair-warned-anti-gay-section-28-repeal-harm-election-chances

Seems Blair's repeal of section 28 was delayed because they were worried it would affect their 2001 election, and backbenchers ended up being the ones who managed to repeal it.

That said, I've been struggling with Legislation and Hansard and Votes dot parliament dot uk and I cannot find who loving proposed it or co-sponsored the amendment.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/SteveBartlettSC/status/1549019143197921280

a fresh terror to incarceration - you get podcasted at

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1549328988056739840

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The idea of being locked in a cell and forced to listen to podcasts from a blockchain #grindset guy

Utter hell

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

learnincurve posted:

If anyone has small animals then wet a towel and put it on their enclosure, will bring the temp down as much as 5 degrees.

Just filled up some bottles of ice for my cats to snuggle up to if they want and I've been rubbing the grumpy one down with ice, which she seemed to really appreciate. The other one was also initially responsive to the ice rub until it started to melt and was suddenly "what the gently caress is this poo poo" so I kind of left her to it.

Partner is stuck at the other end of the country cos the trains aren't running and has requested an ice rub when they return. Basically if you want an ice massage, come over to mine.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Isomermaid posted:

Just filled up some bottles of ice for my cats to snuggle up to if they want and I've been rubbing the grumpy one down with ice, which she seemed to really appreciate. The other one was also initially responsive to the ice rub until it started to melt and was suddenly "what the gently caress is this poo poo" so I kind of left her to it.

Partner is stuck at the other end of the country cos the trains aren't running and has requested an ice rub when they return. Basically if you want an ice massage, come over to mine.

You can wrap the bottle in a towel or cloth as well. :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Popped out of work to get some lunch and the Strand was basically emptied of both pedestrians and cars, looked like things did at the height of lockdown.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
This has been a welcome reminder to mop my kitchen floor. Bonus: slopped the water on thick, evaporative process dropped the temp in there by a couple of degrees in minutes.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Jippa posted:

Any plastic bottle filled with water then put in the freezer for an hour so will work as well.

This is working better for my ferrets as even with my fastidious attention to their claws the poor buggers keep getting caught on the towels and getting upset :( a good ice pack like you'd bung in a cooler with some drinks works wonders. Also unlike most ferret videos I see on twitter mine absolutely hate the idea of going in water so any ersatz paddling pools or cooling troughs of water I set out get drunken from. I'll let them have a run around in a cold shower later. :)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the aluminum foil seems to be helping, still under 30. thanks

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Let's see what sort of interviews this podcast does ...

Oh wonderful Jordan Peterson and crypto poo poo.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Relief is on the way. It's clouded up here in South Wales, and the temperature is starting to drop.
Got a couple of hours before the lightning starts I reckon.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jippa posted:

You can wrap the bottle in a towel or cloth as well. :)

Yeah, frozen ice bottle is usually better in a thin towel/sheet (also cooled if poosible). Also no AC, water on yourself plus fan is really good at cooling.

Also cold bath if you have a bathtub. Keep the door closed, and when you get out don't drain the water till it gets near room temp.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

OzyMandrill posted:

Relief is on the way. It's clouded up here in South Wales, and the temperature is starting to drop.
Got a couple of hours before the lightning starts I reckon.

Where? I'm in Abergavenny this arvo and am not feeling very comfortable at all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I had some rain and rumbling but it's back to bright sunshine now.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Antigravitas posted:

I haven't seen it called out itt, so I'd just like to mention that this "deep state" bollocks is just straight "international jewry has undermined our societies" style antisemitism. It's cribbed straight from the OG Nazis.

Eh not really, certainly wikipedia would have us believe the term originated in Turkey in the 90s to refer to the collusion of the military with organised crime against Kurds. It seems to me it's just a catch all term for institutional bias and power within the state held by people in unelected positions (i.e. civil service, military, police, etc). Certainly some arguments using the concept are conspiratorial or nonsensical but you can't exactly say the concept itself is invalid because that would be pretty much saying that institutional bias doesn't exist. How you could look at an organisation like the Met and say that it doesn't have 'deep state' characteristics with all the racism and corruption? I'm sure there was a lot of resistance within the civil service against Brexit but they clearly can't be that powerful because there was gently caress all they could do about it in the end. We had a general saying that the army would intervene if Corbyn became PM. As a concept I think it's clearly distinct from "secret world order" nonsense, and also distinct from "the establishment" which is a much broader concept.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm not due rain until 8. Looks like Cambridge has to wait until 9.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bloody southerners stealing our rain

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While the "deep state" as a concept is a real thing in terms of institutional inertias and self-correcting mechanisms, the use of the term in the US under Trump very quickly gained anti-Semitic undertones. Many parts of the Qanon movement fell very quickly into anti-Semitism and some of them have started pushing the Protocols of the Elders of Zion as a fresh understanding of the deep state.

And unfortunately due to the Anglosphere some of that insanity does bleed over. So while someone saying "deep state" isn't inherently using it to mean "The Jews" it's unfortunately not something you can wholly dismiss as a possibility.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alternatively, a joke: the Turks used it to mean The Jews in the first place.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I didn't think Keith's collusion with the "deep state" went any further than destroying the Labour Party?

But who knows, I hear they can be tricksy little hobbitses.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

40 at heathrow now apparently. Still 2 hours til its supposed to peak. Fuckin hell.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A little treat for the sun, The Forde Report has leaked and it's exactly how you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1549362259952009225

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1549358676737200129?s=20&t=Ce0hTlxbUya_qaiO45rIOw

Well, well, well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kudos on the foil tip goons, that plus my blinds has kept the temperature down in my bedroom a decent amount, it is now somewhat survivable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So the Forde report essentially says precisely the same thing as what got Corbyn kicked out of the party.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Yes, really. When someone like Trump or Britain Trump says "deep state", they mean "our institutions have been infiltrated by (((globalists)))". They do not mean institutional inertia, they mean Dolchstoßlegende.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

So the Forde report essentially says precisely the same thing as what got Corbyn kicked out of the party.

for keir starmer to retain any credibility he must remove the whip from the Forde report

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1549362223889481733?t=EJpqrc6Tt3WpQywWHKCrQw

England status : Spicy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Antigravitas posted:

Yes, really. When someone like Trump or Britain Trump says "deep state", they mean "our institutions have been infiltrated by (((globalists)))". They do not mean institutional inertia, they mean Dolchstoßlegende.

There absolutely is a deep state though, and it has nothing to do with antisemitism. Have you heard of P2 in Italy? Are you familiar with Harold Wilson?

We're less than a decade removed from a senior member of the armed forces implying publicly they'd overthrow the PM if it was someone they didn't like. Mysterious briefings to the press that the leader of the opposition was an agent of Czechoslovakia. Capital gonna defend its interests. That's not antisemitism, that's reality.

Now like I said in my previous post on this, Boris Johnson complaining about it when he's about as establishment as you get despite the facade is probably a dog whistle, but explicitly an antisemitic one? Maybe? It's an utter fantasy anyway.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Payndz posted:

Apparently Britain First is endorsing Kemi Badenoch. Which raises the question: has there ever been a good Enoch?

Edit: To save you squinting: "Enoch Hammer (1811) Iron head from long-handle sledgehammer, of the type used to sabotage knitting machinery in newly mechanized factories during the Luddite uprising (1811-1813). Manufactured by Enoch & James Taylor, Marsden, England"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

are you a badenoch dude to rescue the conservatives?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Antigravitas posted:

Did you even read my post? I didn't say that some people don't abuse the term. Are you saying we always have to stop using terms whenever any nutter starts using them wrong? Trump didn't invent the term and Trump doesn't own the concept. I don't think many people would take it to mean what Trump implies in any other context and I suspect Johnson used the term more as a dog whistle to the faux "anti-establishment" ethos of the pro-brexit crowd rather than some kind of mad anti-semitic conspiracy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Necrothatcher posted:

You can read the whole thing here if 138-page reports are your kind of thing on stiflingly hot days

https://www.fordeinquiry.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/The-Forde-Report.pdf

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I just went for a swim in the sea (v good, encourage it), and let me tell you that 37c in the shade is not too hot for the people of Britain to lay themselves out in full sun and cook themselves raw.

Death cult boomers do at least live the life they preach I guess.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gambrinus posted:

Where? I'm in Abergavenny this arvo and am not feeling very comfortable at all.

I'm not a million miles from you and it's 33C and full-on sun here and no rain drops on the forecast at all.
I think OP must be over Merthyr / Port Talbot / Neath way.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there any way to extend its lifespan? When I took it apart the motor didn't seem particularly user-serviceable in any way tbh.
Might remove the rotating oscillating gear bit just so there's one less thing for the motor to have to spin, but given that it's not set to oscillation mode it's probably not really making much of a difference to the power anyway.

I don't know. I've just binned the fans when they get to that state. I don't think the motor is serviceable unless you're an electrical engineer. They're only 15 quid a pop from the electrical wholesalers anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

I don't think the motor is serviceable unless you're an electrical engineer.
They're probably lovely shaded pole motors anyway, so an electrical engineer would laugh and throw it in the metal recycling.