Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

George Rouncewell posted:

Ongelmana on huono johtaminen, sanon kun lisään organisaatioon uuden itsensä työllistävän hallintojärjestelmän
Hep! Nimeä lonkalta kaikki kuntayhtymät, joihin kotikuntasi kuuluu.

...No sitä minäkin.

Käypä ottamassa selvää ja kerro sitten, mikä tässä oli se uusi hallintotaso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Keisari posted:

Didn't we have that king for a while that we imported from Germany?

No. Parliament voted to ask him, but then the Kaiserreich fell and he was too embarrassed to take on the job.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Uuden mallin isoin ongelma on verotusoikeuden puute. Rahaa saa aina lisää valtiolta, koska lakisääteiset palvelut on pakko järjestää. Aluevaltuustot lähinnä nostavat kokouspalkkioita.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

Swedish kings were okay, Bernadottes are just traitorous French imposters though.

"Lè Lutefisk Throne is mine by rights, merde!"

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

doverhog posted:

Uuden mallin isoin ongelma on verotusoikeuden puute. Rahaa saa aina lisää valtiolta, koska lakisääteiset palvelut on pakko järjestää. Aluevaltuustot lähinnä nostavat kokouspalkkioita.

Juuri näin, mutta ei Kepulle tietenkään kelvannut malli, jossa, se joutuisi olemaan vastuussa maakuntien asukkaille.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Swedish kings were okay, Bernadottes are just traitorous French imposters though.

The Swedish kings you're talking about were inbred idiot autocrats for the most part tho', that's why Sweden lost Finland in the first place

Keisari
May 24, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

The Swedish kings you're talking about were inbred idiot autocrats for the most part tho', that's why Sweden lost Finland in the first place

Aren't they all though? (Kings, not Swedes, that is)

Inbred idiot Tsars lost Russia, inbred English idiots lost their power although their cozy lives were spared, inbred idiots in France got guillotined etc...

Edit: and also, inbred idiot royal family members of British crown getting into all kinds of nasty poo poo and might destroy the monarchy in the end.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/erlij/status/1549004373325500417

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Keisari posted:

Aren't they all though? (Kings, not Swedes, that is)

Inbred idiot Tsars lost Russia, inbred English idiots lost their power although their cozy lives were spared, inbred idiots in France got guillotined etc...

Edit: and also, inbred idiot royal family members of British crown getting into all kinds of nasty poo poo and might destroy the monarchy in the end.

Strong post/username combo.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

HS:n mursustriimi on loistava. Haastateltavina on ollut mm. naapurin täti poimimassa mustikoita sekä "taivaanrannanmaalari, tähtitieteen dosentti ja lepakkotutkija, joka tykkää bongailla jänniä eläimiä".

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008953715.html

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rip

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Mursusta puheen ollen, Kärnä twiittaa että jokin otus pitää ampua aina, kun halutaan huomio pois jostain Keskustan pahanteosta. Mitä ne tekivät nyt lomakaudella?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Strong post/username combo.

Oh my god :rubby: This explains a lot though...

Brings to mind, I heard one person did one of those DNA tests that figure out your ancestry. Thing is, they got a 100 % Finnish. The doctor said that they'd never seen anyone get a 100 % Finnish, and stressed that it was not a good thing, and insinuated that it might indicate that there's possible inbreeding in their family at some point.

Regarding the walrus, I really hope they can save her. And I really hope they don't just keep her in the zoo but return her to Greenland or wherever they usually hang out. :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Keisari posted:

Brings to mind, I heard one person did one of those DNA tests that figure out your ancestry. Thing is, they got a 100 % Finnish. The doctor said that they'd never seen anyone get a 100 % Finnish, and stressed that it was not a good thing, and insinuated that it might indicate that there's possible inbreeding in their family at some point.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ayIJed2dn4&t=365s

Keisari posted:

Regarding the walrus, I really hope they can save her. And I really hope they don't just keep her in the zoo but return her to Greenland or wherever they usually hang out. :ohdear:

:smith:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yeah, welp. :smith: Literally 15 mins after that post the news hit Yle.

In hindsight, probably should've arrested that walrus when she first beached and was in good health and all the experts were saying that there's no food for her here.

Hadn't seen that before! Didn't know that happened to Conan as well. It probably happens every now and then.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Keisari posted:

Oh my god :rubby: This explains a lot though...

This is what they did in the olden days at rural areas, especially if you were poor. Back then marrying an outsider meant sharing the spoils with them, which was bad if your economic outlook wasn't good in the first place. Thus you had people marrying their cousins to keep what little property in the family.
"Mitä serkumpi, sen herkumpi", as the old saying goes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Travel was also difficult because there were no roads in the sense we know them, and ordinary peasants didn't have leasure time to travel around just to meet new people. So you were forced to choose locally, which in sparsely populated areas didn't leave many choices.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

So we are literally inbred forest hermits.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

And that cousin fucker's name... Was Albert Einstein

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Keisari posted:

Depends. Are you from the coast or inland? People in the coast hosed/married a lot of merchants and seamen (insert obvious joke of your choice here) from middle ages onwards, and lots of Finns have German/Baltic DNA in addition to the usual suspects Russian and Swedish, plus Karelian and Ingerian in the east/southeast and Sami in the north.

If you're from somewhere along the Kuopio-Kainuu axis, then odds are you're fuuuuucked.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

Travel was also difficult because there were no roads in the sense we know them, and ordinary peasants didn't have leasure time to travel around just to meet new people. So you were forced to choose locally, which in sparsely populated areas didn't leave many choices.

This is the "logical" conclusion from our point of view, but it absolutely isn't the truth. People of all backgrounds traveled thousands of kilometers all the time even in the bronze age.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Darkest Auer posted:

This is the "logical" conclusion from our point of view, but it absolutely isn't the truth. People of all backgrounds traveled thousands of kilometers all the time even in the bronze age.

Are we talking about the bronze age? I thought this was about latest centuries. Subsistence farming requires you to stay put most of the time. Not many opportunities to just travel around spreading your seed in that.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Nenonen posted:

Nobody used roads for the travel unless they were well off and had a horse to spare. Commerce and travel was done on boats and it wasn’t unusual to travel tens of kilometres just to go to church. Kirkkovene was a real thing and not just an euphemism. And landless people did travel extensively looking for work or just food.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Keisari posted:

Extremely so.

Finns are substantially genetically different from most european populations. See, for example, this:

For a long time, people were searching for "cousin populations" and ancient homelands where Finns came from to explain this difference. Study into mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosomes paints a different story, though: By our best current guess, Finland was more densely inhabited but has gone through at least one very tight population bottleneck, about 4000 years ago, taking the population down to ~200 people. Getting from that to today is mostly a whooole lot of cousin loving, and resulted in some interesting hereditary diseases.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Stubb Dogg posted:

Nobody used roads for the travel unless they were well off and had a horse to spare. Commerce and travel was done on boats and it wasn’t unusual to travel tens of kilometres just to go to church. Kirkkovene was a real thing and not just an euphemism. And landless people did travel extensively looking for work or just food.

I know, but there's a limit to how far you can travel that way by yourself just to find a spouse. It's unlikely that you will row or ski from Joensuu to Lappeenranta even if it's technically possible unless you have some serious trading to do. In an era of muscle powered travel it's a serious investment to travel so far.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

Study into mitochondrial DNA and Y-chromosomes paints a different story, though: By our best current guess, Finland was more densely inhabited but has gone through at least one very tight population bottleneck, about 4000 years ago, taking the population down to ~200 people.

I am asking out of curiosity and not trying to dispute this, would you happen to have an article citation handy?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I am asking out of curiosity and not trying to dispute this, would you happen to have an article citation handy?

Yeah, this sounds iffy.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, my family are probably as rural Savo as they come and even our family tree has the occasional hapless Russian and Polish merchant over the centuries. There are places nearby like Polvijärvi where apparently everyone is related, though. :haw:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Rappaport posted:

Sure. I believe this is the original paper that presents the bottleneck hypothesis. There is sort of a whole field on the subject, most of the papers of which you can find by following the papers that cite that one. I could have sworn that there was a fairly recent review paper that presents all the newest stuff neatly, but can't seem to find it now.

This subject gets a bunch of research because Finnish population genetics are kind of weird and unique, in the "it's funny how hosed up we all are and yet still function" way. In sci-fi or fantasy there is occasionally the trope where people from like one ship start having kids with each other and eventually grow to populate a nation/planet/whatever, and it makes you wonder how sick a large population coming from such a small founder population would be. No need to wonder, we have a real-world example of that and it's called Savo.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:tipshat: Thanks, will follow the bread crumbs from there.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
inbred forest nomads to be correct tho. orja = arya

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Nenonen posted:

I know, but there's a limit to how far you can travel that way by yourself just to find a spouse. It's unlikely that you will row or ski from Joensuu to Lappeenranta even if it's technically possible unless you have some serious trading to do. In an era of muscle powered travel it's a serious investment to travel so far.
Unless you were the eldest son to inherit the farm, you had to go anyway so what does it matter if you travel few days more to be piika or renki somewhere else?

And these were not some lovely 2-man rowboats, but more along lines of larger ones that vikings also used with 10 to 30 crew + passengers and sometimes sails.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tuna-Fish posted:

No need to wonder, we have a real-world example of that and it's called Savo.

Proudly Savo in the sixth generation (well of course more but that's where the first cameras and literate people started arriving in the village I guess)

Even my other half being from outside Finland didn't save me from getting Type 1 diabetes in my 20s. What kind of hosed up genetic nightmare results into that?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 21, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Tuna-Fish posted:

This subject gets a bunch of research because Finnish population genetics are kind of weird and unique, in the "it's funny how hosed up we all are and yet still function" way. In sci-fi or fantasy there is occasionally the trope where people from like one ship start having kids with each other and eventually grow to populate a nation/planet/whatever, and it makes you wonder how sick a large population coming from such a small founder population would be. No need to wonder, we have a real-world example of that and it's called Savo.

Can confirm, I'm half-Savonian and half-Tavastian and my family's genetics are so hosed up in so many different ways that my immediate family were research subjects for one of the University Hospital's programs and we had to go and give blood samples repeatedly for several years back when I was kid. And it's not even one specific thing, but a heightened risk for several different kinds of issues that initially do not appear to have any connection to each other.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I remember meeting this probable persunuori who claimed that the reason why every dude over the age of 50 used to die of heart attacks or strokes in a way that made even the rest of the world go "whoa" wasn't because of our crazy inbred genes but because people used to drink and smoke a lot and eat lot of greasy stuff here!

Reminder that the times we were talking about were the 1950s-70s when the rest of the world was famously tobacco-free and vegetarian. I have cousins whose father and literally every uncle on that side died of stroke before hitting 60 :stare:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

I remember meeting this probable persunuori who claimed that the reason why every dude over the age of 50 used to die of heart attacks or strokes in a way that made even the rest of the world go "whoa" wasn't because of our crazy inbred genes but because people used to drink and smoke a lot and eat lot of greasy stuff here!

Reminder that the times we were talking about were the 1950s-70s when the rest of the world was famously tobacco-free and vegetarian. I have cousins whose father and literally every uncle on that side died of stroke before hitting 60 :stare:

Have you literally never heard of Pohjois-Karjala-Projekti? Lol.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

To be fair, it's likely that it was particularly successful because of genetic predisposition. I know I carry a genetic lung disease from my Eastern Finnish side of the family. It's fine though, as long as I don't smoke.

:hmmyes:🚭

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I never met my dad's dad because he died of an heart attack in his late fifties with his lungs already shot, because he was smoker and a bit of drinker. Also a train driver, which might also have contributed, since apparently almost all of his friends/colleagues died the same way at around the same age.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why do you think it was called that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm from pohjanmaa and my grandparents are literally cousins ama