Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Khorne posted:

This may not be a going out of business sign. Living dead companies that support/produce a product from decades ago tend to have limited employees and they manage inventory kind of tightly because you're taxed on parts that are sitting around. Supply crunch from the pandemic seems to have made certain parts they needed to reorder unavailable.

Right, but margins are already pretty tight so how long can you keep waiting for supplies before you run out of cash?

Might just order one with paypal and hope for the best though, yeah. Too many people like me waiting for them to catch up is exactly what will dry up their revenues and push them underwater so I should probably go ahead and give 'em some revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rollie Fingers posted:

So, we know people in this thread have been scammed in a group buy.

There are currently three keyboard group buy threads on Geekhack where the runner has disappeared with people's money - those boards are Rukia, Moon TKL and Esntl TKL. I myself was part of a group buy for an HHKB where I received a case that had several dents, and the runner has spent months not sending me a replacement.

Be careful out there, folks.

I know Rama gets poo poo on and Keychron and GMMK Pro may not be premium, but at least they'll deliver keyboards. I don't think I'll be joining any future keyboard group buys unless it's from a stable company.

Important to note that these are all different people.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

repiv posted:

That's a bit out of GiantRocks price range

There are options though, like the Keychron K4

Yeah, those options are a bit out of budget. That said they did reccomend me an affordable mouse on the other thread so I might be able to up the budget for keyboard....

Something to ask though, how are wireless keyboards nowadays? I've honestly had issues with wireless periferics and I'd like a lack of possible interferences.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

mariooncrack posted:

Just pay with Paypal. If they don't send you a product, it's super easy to get your money back.

Just make sure you don’t use the “friends and family” option.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Just make sure you don’t use the “friends and family” option.

Also, make a claim within 6 months if they don't deliver and become unresponsive.
This is the hardest part about group buys right now actually. You pay and the expected delivery date is a year... 18 months... 2 years out... so you know you have no recourse going into it.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CordlessPen posted:

Thanks! I'm really in love with the compact form factor of the K4/F97, but a knob + south facing LEDs + gasket-mounting + a 6000 mAh battery... I'll definitely think about it. At the very least it's cooled me down from impulse-buying the F97.

Quoting myself to keep you guys updated: I ended up doing the dumb thing and bought the iQunix F97, which on paper seemed like a minuscule upgrade from my Keychron K4, but I have to say that while it's not a huge upgrade from my modded K4 to the stock F97, the quality out of the box is extremely impressive. Yeah, it's twice as expensive, but it shows. South facing switches, the plate is much easier to work with, the cable plugs in a reasonable place and I get 2.4GHz connectivity. There are only 2 things I don't like about it:

It's clearly not meant to be disassembled. To get to the plate or PCB you have to unscrew the side pieces and I don't think there's a way to do that without all 4 of them falling apart, which looks really dangerous for the antenna attached to the back part. It's a hot swap board that already has quite a bit of foam in the case, so I normally wouldn't have to do that, except...

It has the worst stabs I've ever seen. Plate-mounted Costars that rattle like motherfuckers, which I guess they tried to fix by drowning them in lube. The board would sound so nice out of the box if it wasn't for those. Considering that the stabs are the only reason I have to fiddle with the plate, if they were better this would be the best out-of-the-box board that I've ever used.

So off I am to install some Durock stabs, and I'll take the opportunity to try out the Boba U4T with films to replace my Glorious Pandas.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 16, 2022

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, make a claim within 6 months if they don't deliver and become unresponsive.
This is the hardest part about group buys right now actually. You pay and the expected delivery date is a year... 18 months... 2 years out... so you know you have no recourse going into it.

You can ask the runner to re-invoice you and refund the previous payment every 6 months. Chances of them doing that are a tossup but it is always an option.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

I printed and assembled an itty bitty mechanical keyboard, the feegle XS - super cool design.

I made it because I needed something to live inside a headless computer that sometimes needs love and care from a real keyboard and monitor attached to it. I already have a 3" monitor so now I've got a tiny keyboard! Both are velcroed comfortably inside the 5.25" bay.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How often do you expect to need to replace switches? I'm getting semi recurring non-responsive presses from the F and R keys. It seems almost like something is sticking, and when I don't get a key response, I mash the key several times and its suddenly working again for a bit.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I've never had a mechanical switch fail suddenly so I expect them to last indefinitely

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

You can ask the runner to re-invoice you and refund the previous payment every 6 months. Chances of them doing that are a tossup but it is always an option.

I doubt that'd happen because the runner would be eating the invoice fees as well as the refund fees over and over.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

pentyne posted:

How often do you expect to need to replace switches? I'm getting semi recurring non-responsive presses from the F and R keys. It seems almost like something is sticking, and when I don't get a key response, I mash the key several times and its suddenly working again for a bit.

If they're hotswap, it could just be a bent pin that needs to be straightened. Pretty common for a switch to act fine when it first gets put in and then starts acting funny a little while later because it had a bent pin.

I've also, on occasion, just had a switch die for no discernable reason but it's incredibly rare.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't had any MX switches go bad but I had some complicated white alps do double characters a while back. That was mostly solved by disassembling them and cleaning them. Also some switches on an old NEC mechanical my dad used started getting iffy, but they were able to be recovered by spraying some deoxit contact cleaner in while they were depressed and then spamming the keys a bunch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

okay, Keychron's new board's released announced are crazy tempting/I want one.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v1-qmk-via-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40026442170457

but the one I actually want is this.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q65-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Keychron rule is to buy their keyboards but only from a retailer with a good return policy so you don't have to deal with Keychron.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That.... looks quite nice. When does it actually ship, though? I might as well just wait until then.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LionArcher posted:

okay, Keychron's new board's released announced are crazy tempting/I want one.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v1-qmk-via-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40026442170457

I love my Q5 but it must legitimately weigh like 10 pounds. I'm glad they're putting out a cheaper option

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

That last spill may finally have killed my old code keyboard. If I liked clear switches, hate clacky switches, and think browns are too soft should I be looking at other switches this time around? Any recommendations that aren't $250?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are you looking for a prebuilt or are you willing to put some switches in yourself (if you buy a hot swap board, it's like legos)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Are you looking for a prebuilt or are you willing to put some switches in yourself (if you buy a hot swap board, it's like legos)

I can solder even if it makes sense. But I'd prefer not to unless it really makes sense

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

soldering is fun. i soldered for the first time in many years to make my macro board despite nervousness and now i wanna do more

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
You certainly don't need to solder a keyboard, just going from prebuilt to hotswap expands your switch options by about a hundred fold.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

soldering is fun. i soldered for the first time in many years to make my macro board despite nervousness and now i wanna do more

its like soldering for babies; the pads are huge, there's nothing near them for the most part. and i too enjoy it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its like soldering for babies; the pads are huge, there's nothing near them for the most part. and i too enjoy it.

Seconding this, keyboard switches are just about the easiest thing you'll ever solder. I prefer hot swaps because I solder for work enough that I don't feel like doing it for fun at home but it's not hard.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So my old K4 finally gave it up, but just in time for the for Prime Day deals. I snatched up a k2 hotswappable from Amazon. Due to a snafu with Amazon, they sent me the wrong model, but instead of asking for a return/replace just gave me a refund and let me keep it. So free K2. However, it's brown switches, which are ok, but I'd like to swap out a few for blues. Can someone point me to some hotswappable blue rgb switches? I see a ton on amazon, but I can't quite determine if they are the right ones. I just wanted a few. Keychron sells them direct, but $45 with shipping is a bit steep I think.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So my old K4 finally gave it up, but just in time for the for Prime Day deals. I snatched up a k2 hotswappable from Amazon. Due to a snafu with Amazon, they sent me the wrong model, but instead of asking for a return/replace just gave me a refund and let me keep it. So free K2. However, it's brown switches, which are ok, but I'd like to swap out a few for blues. Can someone point me to some hotswappable blue rgb switches? I see a ton on amazon, but I can't quite determine if they are the right ones. I just wanted a few. Keychron sells them direct, but $45 with shipping is a bit steep I think.

You can get 88 Gateron blue switches for $22 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Switches-Underglow-Compatible-Mechanical-Transparent/dp/B07K82YQM4

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Obligatory suggestion to consider Kailh BOX Clicky (White, Pink, Jade, Navy) switches if you want to try something even clickier

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Any recommendations for clearlike switches?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

poverty goat posted:

Any recommendations for clearlike switches?
Durock Ceruleans, they're explicitly clear-like even

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zelios Zilents are my favourite.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keychron just dropped a crazy cheap budget board.

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v1-qmk-via-custom-mechanical-keyboard

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I bought a Cherry switch tester with 9 different varieties in it, and man those greys have hands. I can't imagine typing for extended periods of time on either the linear or tactile one, but they might be great for my caps lock, enter, and other keys I'm afraid of hitting by accident

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

change my name posted:

I bought a Cherry switch tester with 9 different varieties in it, and man those greys have hands. I can't imagine typing for extended periods of time on either the linear or tactile one, but they might be great for my caps lock, enter, and other keys I'm afraid of hitting by accident

MX greys are usually seen in space bars for boards with MX Blacks. Similar to greens for blues, but I like to type on greens. It's not really done any more except for companies like Cherry.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

change my name posted:

I've swapped a couple space bars to gray, and it is fun for just a big old click but even there it's a bit heavy. Lesser-used keys are probably the move. I.e., could be a good fit for numlock.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rexxed posted:

MX greys are usually seen in space bars for boards with MX Blacks. Similar to greens for blues, but I like to type on greens. It's not really done any more except for companies like Cherry.

I still game on this board and can't imagine putting a grey on the space bar. I'd feel like I'd miss at least one jump because I just brushed it and it didn't depress all the way

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

foutre posted:

I've swapped a couple space bars to gray, and it is fun for just a big old click but even there it's a bit heavy. Lesser-used keys are probably the move. I.e., could be a good fit for numlock.

That's a really great idea, maybe I could get some for more deliberate keys like numlock, print screen or escape...

The saga of my Iqunix F97 continues: after realizing how bad Costar stabilizers were I impulse-ordered Cherry stabs without doing my research and it turns out that Costars and Cherries don't have the same shape mount on the plate. I briefly thought of modding the plate but I think even the Costars sound better than what I'd probably end up with, which would very likely be a bunch of wobbly Durocks on a bent plate.

I checked online for some kind of "better" version of Costars (mostly hoping for a thicker wire) and found absolutely nothing. I found some very sparse posts about band-aid-modding and a Costar version of the holee mod and I have to admit it helped a lot, though it was a lot more effort than I thought it would be; the band-aid mod worked on only 2 stabs (left shift and spacebar), whenever I'd mod the others, the... uh, insert? would get too tight in the... housing? and the key would get stuck. I "holee" modded the rest and it worked amazingly for my backspace, but the enter key got a little too tight and lost some spring so I tried again with thinner tape and a bit more lube and it works OK. I'm still waiting on my U4Ts so when I switch (Ha!) them out I might try to tweak it a bit more but it'll do for now, and I'll definitely wait for the switches before I mod the 2 numpad stabs, but I'm starting to think I might end up with a keyboard I'm satisfied with.

The most frustrating thing about this whole ordeal is that the board is so great outside of that. It sounds very good straight out of the box, the TTC switches are pretty good as far as pre-built options go, the case is pretty well foamed up... the only thing dragging it down is the choice of Costars. Well, that and how annoying it is to open up, but I wouldn't have to do that if it wasn't for the Costar stabilizers (and even then I ended up not being able to do much). And Iqunix must know it too because they apparently stopped using Costars for the L80 and they post kind of passive-aggressive sound tests on their facebook page.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Customized my first keyboard today. It started with a keyboard video that showed up in my youtube feed, and ended up going down a deep rabbit hole.
Figured I replace my WASD keyboard I bought on thread recommendation ~10 years ago.

Ordered a bunch of tools and stuff and got to work,

Keychron K4
Boba U4T
Foam switch pads
Durock stabs
Akko Black Bronze keycaps

Learned a few things,
-Spent hours holee modding the stabs only to find the Durocks and Keychron top plate don't play well. The fit is way too tight and causes the stabs to stick. After much effort, I just reverted to the stock stabs and a pile of grease. Worked quite well surprisingly.
-Switch install is easier to f up than I thought. Final keyboard test revealed I broke pins on 3 switches so now I have clicky blues for my aux keys.
-Had some cork sheet with adhesive backing laying around and figured it'd make a good case damper. Seems to work?
-Micheals is a good store.

I have no frame of reference, but I gotta say this thing is thocktastic.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 25, 2022

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Looks sharp!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

smooth jazz posted:

I have no frame of reference, but I gotta say this thing is thocktastic.

That's so cool, that's almost exactly my old setup:

Except I had Glorious Pandas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm testing a 60% keyboard for work and god drat have I been spoiled by having a volume knob directly on my board