Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
believing that the world is in desperate need of more people to justify my dad who can't stop trying to get everything that moves pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Radio Paranoia posted:

Jobs' methods and the myriad stories of how he "got results" through his various assholery has absolutely poisoned middle and senior management culture. Instead of leaving things to the writers, designers, programmers and everybody else hired to support a specific business, these dickheads feel the need to insert themselves in every step of the process, overriding the very experts they employ with decisions on a whim and "I don't like it" as a rejection justification. I absolutely loathe it.

Oh yeah, 100%. That was my last boss to a tee. They were an "I don't know about all that technical detail, but I know what I like and what I don't like, and I trust my instincts" type of motherfucker who definitely had a Steve Jobs and Elon Musk shrine somewhere.

I'm not kidding when I say that a typical iteration was us presenting something to them, then working on the new approved feature, showing it to them and being told "no this isn't good at all, I don't like this,". Well then maybe you shouldn't have approved this design two weeks ago, motherfucker. A poisonous combination of pretending to be "hands off" (ie. not paying attention during the dev process so any and all feedback was only given after the fact) and thinking their instincts were the last word.

Weird that the company fell apart.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Plastic bag stuffed with spoiled cottage cheese

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I’m an ideas guy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

JediTalentAgent posted:

So, did Musk replace Jobs in the hearts and minds of the mainstream audience who were looking for a tech industrial messiah?

imo, kinda for a while, then very quickly, no.

Jobs was from a time where we still revered technocrats and didn't have access to gossip regarding their wretched lives. Whatever he really was, in the minds of people who had no strong background in technology, he was this high priest of a technological order who was ushering in a cool, slick future.

Luckily for the sake of his legacy he died before all that tech he was championing became non-phenomenally iterative garbage that is highly invasive and culture-wrecking. He also wasn't on Twitter running his mouth, so we never got to find out just how dumb pretty much every idea he had about life- not related to selling people their dreams back to them- were. He's not forgotten, but he's not doing anything for us anymore, so nobody talks about him unless they're family, writing a book, or are just a weirdo (I guess I’m the latter).

Musk started out with a similar cachet, but as a Tony Stark type who was making cool, less toyetic, advances in high tech that were going to revolutionize space travel, electric cars, heavy industry, etc; big infrastructural stuff beyond the ken of mere mortals, essentially. Unfortunately for him, his rise to prominence has dovetailed with a general cooling of enthusiasm for tech bros and Silicon Valley style utopianism among the hoi polloi, so even if he could have kept his mouth shut and not made himself first look like a cringing manboy fuckface moron, then currently a cringing fascist sex pest manboy fuckface moron, he never had a chance of reaching Jobs' level of regard, because the entire general industry he's a scion of has transitioned in the minds of people from liberators to the new jailers. He has a cult of followers because these days it seems like toadying monsters from a distance is a fetish that the internet has allowed to evolve past stuff like dating a death row inmate (we even got a president out of it).

Musk also fundamentally lacks the ability to present as Cool, like Jobs did. Even if Jobs, shoeless and two months without showering, ran around the Apple offices screaming profanity and weeping because the designers weren't making the edges of the iPod exactly as curvy as he envisioned them being, he had an inborn sense of how to compartmentalize that poo poo and act like a slick, confident rock star when in public. Musk almost has the opposite inborn sense- that of the habitually bullied- where he can only do poo poo that, were he not the heavily connected son of generational wealth who got very lucky early in life with business arrangements, would keep him in the eternal, cosmic state of Owned. I think the psychic energy generated by capital is the only bulwark keeping the massive wave of bully karma he’s built up from crashing down on him.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

seriouslyu what's going on with that chest tho, that's some The Arrival poo poo I can't take it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

seriouslyu what's going on with that chest tho, that's some The Arrival poo poo I can't take it

He's got that beautiful Donald trump forward heavy figure and posture

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I'm talking about this from a place of ignorance but I have heard that SpaceX (in comparison to the poo poo that comes out of Tesla and the Boring company), actually has been innovative in the aerospace sector.

I genuinely would love to hear about how I'm wrong though.

Tech-wise, everything SpaceX does is stuff that NASA and space contractors thought up 50 years ago.

The problem is that NASA's budgetary outlook was not looking great 50 years ago, so they didn't really have the money to put any of it into practice. Without the space race, Congress wasn't going to fund top-tier rocket work, so we ended up with a bunch of half-assed compromises, many of which ended up costing more in the long run.

Between Elon's personal wealth and the fact that Congress is eager to fund space privatization, SpaceX has had the opportunity to actually develop that tech.

Though even that much is still way more innovative than Boring Company's strategy of buying an undersized tunnel borer and spending the rest of the money on lobbying civic officials.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I mean, he is a middle-aged man who has spent most of his life hunched in front of a computer, I thought more people here would sympathize with that hogshead chest. Pleasantly surprised.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
apple was more a cult of the product than jobs. if apple turned to poo poo after jobs instead of continuing to churn out shiny products he might have been more worshipped in the present day.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech-wise, everything SpaceX does is stuff that NASA and space contractors thought up 50 years ago.

The problem is that NASA's budgetary outlook was not looking great 50 years ago, so they didn't really have the money to put any of it into practice. Without the space race, Congress wasn't going to fund top-tier rocket work, so we ended up with a bunch of half-assed compromises, many of which ended up costing more in the long run.

Between Elon's personal wealth and the fact that Congress is eager to fund space privatization, SpaceX has had the opportunity to actually develop that tech.

Though even that much is still way more innovative than Boring Company's strategy of buying an undersized tunnel borer and spending the rest of the money on lobbying civic officials.

NASA and space contractors thought up every method of space propulsion that doesn't require actual magic 50 years ago, the big problem was always implementation not lack of ideas guys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean Apple keeps on making products, but I don't think anybody thinks about them as innovative or particularly cool anymore, it's just interchangeable stuff that's the same as any other brand, but shinier and hasn't changed in like 10 years. When was the last time they made something that actually made waves, a new iPhone, iPod or even iPad?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I mean Apple keeps on making products, but I don't think anybody thinks about them as innovative or particularly cool anymore, it's just interchangeable stuff that's the same as any other brand, but shinier and hasn't changed in like 10 years. When was the last time they made something that actually made waves, a new iPhone, iPod or even iPad?

Phones got good enough who actually cares about new phones at all anymore?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

kdrudy posted:

Conspicuous consumers

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

i used to not get the hype around apple stuff until i switched to an iphone and everything just seems to loving work. 2 years ago i started a new job where we all have macbooks and it’s the same thing, it just works. that is pretty drat cool.

airpod pros also own.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

NASA and space contractors thought up every method of space propulsion that doesn't require actual magic 50 years ago, the big problem was always implementation not lack of ideas guys.

Reading about the early space program is wild. The Nova rocket proposed in 1958 made the Saturn V look like its scrawny younger brother.

But, yeah people were inspired all over the place. It just took the right people to pull the trigger. When Yuri Gagarin went into space, Kennedy got all the high ups at NASA together and asked, What can we do to totally top this? And they decided to swing for the fences with their moon landing idea that they had all been thinking about for a few years. "Der, uh, what's the hangup?" JFK said. Money, they answered. And the rest is history. Give or take eight more years of cool developments.

Or, as he said, in 1962 on a hot September day in Texas:

"But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control, communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold."

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Faustian Bargain posted:

i used to not get the hype around apple stuff until i switched to an iphone and everything just seems to loving work. 2 years ago i started a new job where we all have macbooks and it’s the same thing, it just works. that is pretty drat cool.

airpod pros also own.

I get the popularity, and I own a few Apple products myself for the reasons you mention, but goddamn they are just straight-up pricing me out. I'm not on my phone enough to justify what they want for an iPhone, and I don't want to take out a small business loan just to afford a laptop. I got a mac mini and it's an absolute workhorse, and cost less than half what I would pay for a laptop with half the processing power, and it might be my last Apple purchase. My late 2015 macbook pro is still working too, and I'll run it until it dies, but I'm going to have to pivot to a different solution for replacing it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kdrudy posted:

Well that's sort of the thing. Like the ipod and ipad were, while not exactly stunningly new technology were a somewhat new take on form and what not. Hell when I first saw it I thought the ipad was just going to be a niche thing. Still never owned a tablet myself, and while it wasn't exactly the first, it did really change things. Since Jobs death, there hasn't really been anything like that.

Hear the new apple M1/M2 chips have some pretty neat architecture, so I mean that's cool and all, but it's not really changing things up on a consumer level.

Again I really don't like Jobs at all, and I don't actually think him being a tremendous loving rear end in a top hat made him better at doing design stuff -that's mostly I think what lovely manages focusing, as their already usually tremendous assholes so that's easy enough for them to emulate, but from what I've read he did actually have a design sensibility that he was able to put in practice that changed stuff.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

airpod pros also own.

yeah this has always been the thing apple people say, my wife has an iphone and claims the same thing. they die every eighteen months on the dot, she can't figure out how to use money transfer apps or send videos to non-iphones or turn anything off but it "just works" and all the phones out there that can easily do these things do not.

the mobile devices aren't exceptionally bad, you can still place calls and the maps app gets the job done the same as any other GPS app and everything else is mostly dumb garbage anyway, but "just works" is a vibe that has no relation to what they actually do. Apple's pretty good at selling a vibe, Tesla less so mainly because it's much harder to shrug it off and claim with a straight face your $100,000 car "just works" when it locks the doors and enters Videogame Mode as the battery detonates

Apple had a real thing going back in the 90s when they were the only company really gunning to corner computing for non-nerds, and did stuff like buy up the only good video editing software to make it mac-exclusive and make their devices look like cool desk toys instead of beige rectangles vomiting up a nightmare tangle of peripherals. While all the competition was strictly oriented around businesses first and consumers second they carved out a niche for themselves, but by the 2000s everyone else was doing all of that too and they were pretty much locked in to selling a lifestyle brand to people who can't open PDF

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 19, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Hear the new apple M1/M2 chips have some pretty neat architecture, so I mean that's cool and all, but it's not really changing things up on a consumer level.

I get the sinking feeling that the plan is to bring the walled garden down to the chip-level with the M chips, and eventually you won't even be able to run third party software on your mac, just rent software from Apple with a subscription model.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

yeah this has always been the thing apple people say, my wife has an iphone and claims the same thing. they die every eighteen months on the dot, she can't figure out how to use half the money transfer apps out there or send videos to non-iphones or turn anything off but it "just works" and all the phones out there that can easily do these things do not.

I’m sorry but this says way more about your wife than it does iPhones. “They die after 18 months” is some rubbish as well.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike apple/iPhones or prefer Android phones we don’t need to make stuff up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never had a phone that didn't "just work" just as well as any iPhone, and I've owned two different Windows Mobile phones including some kind of ASUS abomination controlled with a stylus, it still did its job without any issues. The "it just works" mantra is something I've only ever heard from people who choose to be technically illiterate to the extreme as some kind of statement, i.e. refuse to read tooltips or even press buttons, then complain that nothing works and they tried literally nothing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Faustian Bargain posted:

airpod pros also own.

Apple computers are great if you can get an employer to buy one for you. A couple jobs back I snagged a dented Macbook Pro that was too old to bother fixing and releasing back into the wild and I loved the thing. I only stopped using it because it got sunsetted and Apple stopped releasing software updates. I don't know if I'd actually spend my own money on one though. Christmas 2020 I got a Dell G5 on sale and it also "just works" for about a quarter of the price I would have paid for a similary specced MacBook. It's not as fancy looking, but I don't care. That said, I fully encourage my manager to decide new MacBooks would increase my department's productivity, like a 90s kid earmarking pages in department store catalogues before the holidays.

Then their phones are neat, but only if you plan on keeping them for 5+ years, because they are stupid expensive. I've had pretty good luck with my iPhone X; it seems like it's going to live long enough to stop getting iOS updates, and overall runs fine with no battery issues (wish it had upgradable disk space however). If I was in the habit of buying new phones every couple of years I wouldn't give iPhones a second thought though. I'm not in the right tax bracket for that.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

until last year i was using an iphone8 and my wife was using a 6s.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m not championing the “it just works” mantra either for the record.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tsfh1GNvpQ

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

I’m sorry but this says way more about your wife than it does iPhones. “They die after 18 months” is some rubbish as well.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike apple/iPhones or prefer Android phones we don’t need to make stuff up.

idk what to tell you bud within months her phones literally will not charge long enough to last a day and have to stay plugged into the wall constantly, and I have seen many, because she keeps buying the same goddamn iphone and the rest of her family keeps complaining about the exact same thing. I'm not making a whole crusade about it or anything, it is entirely possible this is because she's loving up charging her phone somehow and I wouldn't consider it a huge issue in an otherwise functional cheap phone, I am just faithfully reporting a fact I have witnessed with my own two eyes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

I had absolutely no clue that Matt Berry was part of snuff box

he's a global treasure

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

idk what to tell you bud within months her phones literally will not charge long enough to last a day and have to stay plugged into the wall constantly, and I have seen many, because she keeps buying the same goddamn iphone and the rest of her family keeps complaining about the exact same thing. I'm not making a whole crusade about it or anything, it is entirely possible this is because she's loving up charging her phone somehow and I wouldn't consider this the biggest problem with an iphone, I am just faithfully reporting a fact I have witnessed with my own two eyes.

I have an S8+ and I'm finally thinking about getting a new phone now that its almost 6 years old because for the past 3 the USB hasn't worked at all and I've had to wirelessly charge it, and I am very loving tired of that.

I don't have any stake in Apple's ecosystem at all, though, and will be buying an Android phone of some sort.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I get the sinking feeling that the plan is to bring the walled garden down to the chip-level with the M chips, and eventually you won't even be able to run third party software on your mac, just rent software from Apple with a subscription model.

I mean yeah, subscription where everyone wants to go. And honestly Macs always been more about that. Not that MS doesn't desperately want subscription cash but just how their positioned, for the longest it's time it's been Unix/Linux anything goes, Ms in the middle allowing lots of 3rd party stuff but having random restrictions all over the place and Apple the most closed off (of the major OS's).

Each have their pros and cons, and none I would say is "better" then the other. Depends what you want to use the OS for. But mac going hard on subscription could be well be a thing. Although not sure if they would go for subscription to the os just as they seem to make plenty of cash through app store stuff, and they have actually be bending towards the OS being sorta free, as with Ms (at least as seen on a consumer level, still paying for it when you buy the hardware, but upgrades and what not, neither Mac or MS seem like they will go back to having to pay for that other than maybe for pro version or whatever.

Honestly at the moment it seems with Gamepass and 365 MS is more in subscription now, although apple still seem to have a pretty tight hold on app store stuff as well as hardware/repair.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I had absolutely no clue that Matt Berry was part of snuff box

he's a global treasure

I mean this everyone can agree on.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 19, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

it is entirely possible this is because she's loving up charging her phone somehow

That's probably the case, and I would bet that it's not her fault. Third party chargers and cables seem like a wild west of unregulated garbage, but Apple surge-prices their chargers and cables to the point where people don't have another worthwhile option.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My private phone is an iphone 6… it works well but I need to change the battery soon

I mostly just use my work phone, an iphone 13, privately as well :cool:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Depends what you want to use the OS for. But mac going hard on subscription could be well be a thing.

Yeah, it's where I as a scientific programmer get off the boat. I like the OS because it plugs directly into linux with easy terminal/command-line interface and pretty seamless integration of the programs I like to use, while also being a good vehicle for media consumption and producing figures and documents. Scientific software seems to always have a "you do it the regular way on linux/osx, and if you have Windows here's a completely separate page of instructions and good luck" way of doing things. The assurance that if it runs on linux it runs on osx has always been a major selling-point for me. And it's been ages since I've tried to use linux alone, so they might have improved things by leaps and bounds, but I always got lost in the technical details on linux and couldn't hack it as my own IT support, so osx was a welcome middle-ground.

I got spooked on the M chips right away when I started hearing stories that some of my base scientific software simply wouldn't run on it, it seems like they fixed that problem but the trust is gone and now I think I need to figure out a different solution to my computing needs. The proliferation of linux virtual environments is a possible way to move into something with a home in Windows, but I also hate Windows. If linux has become more friendly since the last time I tried it (mint., maybe?) I might try going pure linux but I am afraid that I'll hit a roadblock with something and end up stuck.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

"Der, uh, what's the hangup?" JFK said. Money, they answered. And the rest is history. Give or take eight more years of cool developments.

So do you think money has been the hangup for lockheed-martin or boeing any time in the past 10 years though?

SpaceX got government funding to develop their rocket. They got $2 billion total for development and flights in the commercial resupply program. (12 flights, meaning $166 mil per flight)

Lockheed-Martin charged $190 million per flight of the Atlas V, and put zero of that into development. They get $41 billion dollars per year from the US government. The problem was not money.

It was politics, monopoly power, and an insanely greedy and actually evil corporation. Musk could have an app on his phone that randomly lights an occupied tesla on fire every time he loses a game of candy crush, and he still wouldn't be as evil as lockmart.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

. And it's been ages since I've tried to use linux alone, so they might have improved things by leaps and bounds, but I always got lost in the technical details on linux and couldn't hack it as my own IT support, so osx was a welcome middle-ground.

I have heard linux has made some pretty good improvements on some stuff, but yeah again goes back to what your using it for wither the stuff they've improved is stuff that matters too you.
One good thing bout linux/open source stuff is, if worse does come to worse, there will probably be others like you in the same situation who will try and come up with some sort of solution.
May not be as polished but they will be people out they're trying.

Unless you're doing a whole bunch of obscure stuff like three other people in the world are doing. In which case um oh.

:(

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Okay, let me rephrase that.

"Der, uh, what's the hangup?" JFK said. Money, they answered...focus that money on us. We'll get Boeing to build bits of the Saturn V as a side gig from churning out endless B-52s.

Edit; so...hooray for SpaceX's disruptive factor. Now what?

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 19, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Klyith posted:

So do you think money has been the hangup for lockheed-martin or boeing any time in the past 10 years though?

SpaceX got government funding to develop their rocket. They got $2 billion total for development and flights in the commercial resupply program. (12 flights, meaning $166 mil per flight)

Lockheed-Martin charged $190 million per flight of the Atlas V, and put zero of that into development. They get $41 billion dollars per year from the US government. The problem was not money.

It was politics, monopoly power, and an insanely greedy and actually evil corporation. Musk could have an app on his phone that randomly lights an occupied tesla on fire every time he loses a game of candy crush, and he still wouldn't be as evil as lockmart.

do you think ULA isn't spending money on rocket development?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
AP and Reuters just pushed out that the Twitter trial is going to be in October :sickos: Musk wanted to delay it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

AP and Reuters just pushed out that the Twitter trial is going to be in October :sickos: Musk wanted to delay it

LOL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Seth Pecksniff posted:

:sickos: x 100