Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

The Cons couldnt have asked for any better situation than they got. They had control of almost every province during covid which let them gently caress up healthcare so much without it being noticed and moved the needle towards privatization further than they ever could have hoped for during non-pandemic times.

Its so depressing, and almost no one seems to notice or care.

Wow it's almost like people shouldn't have voted in Conservative governments across the country!

But it's probably not their fault. It's rude to imply that voters have some sort of responsibility for their own choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well, okay, but in how many provinces did the number of people who didn't vote for Conservative candidates outnumber those who did? Should they also reap what their fellow Canadians have sown?

Our democratic system says yes

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

teethgrinder posted:

Sounds like a case for privatization, you know, to protect the employees.

:ducks:

That is literally his plan, which I realize was the joke but typing those words made me angry and I wanted to do it

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's depressing as all gently caress and I'm sorry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The other option is to just march on queen's park with more than 18% of the population, and talk the GOTD into resigning under threat of the public health care and education systems up and collapsing

Or, alternately, to collapse them first and announce a forwarding address in Toronto

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Wow it's almost like people shouldn't have voted in Conservative governments across the country!

But it's probably not their fault. It's rude to imply that voters have some sort of responsibility for their own choices.

I mean, isn't the problem non-voters? And beyond that, don't we have situations where Cons generally don't have popular majority? Like on average a voter is probably not at fault.

Obviously con voters can sleep in the bed they made, as they will probably not learn much from this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It certainly is here in Ontario; yes.

"But I don't like the parties" well too bad, pick a party that isn't hellbent on unraveling society and hold your breath like the rest of us

"But I'm mad about a furlough in the 90s and some poo poo about gas plants" great i'm mad about THE loving HEALTH CARE SYSTEM BEING SOLD TO A TALKING BALL OF SPAM GREASE

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

From my own experience, it’s more “I can’t be bothered to vote and Rae Days, the gas plant, etc. are a convenient excuse.”

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

"But I don't like the parties" well too bad, pick a party that isn't hellbent on unraveling society and hold your breath like the rest of us

"But I'm mad about a furlough in the 90s and some poo poo about gas plants" great i'm mad about THE loving HEALTH CARE SYSTEM BEING SOLD TO A TALKING BALL OF SPAM GREASE
Like, +1, upvote, etc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

quote:

He (Pat King) will be required to abide by a number of conditions including leaving the city of Ottawa within 24 hours, residing with a surety in Alberta, and not too contact other organizers of the "Freedom Convoy." He will also have a curfew from 10 pm to 6 am, unless working, and will be required to stay off social media.
countdown until he's in violation....

Wonder how this will go over lol

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

flakeloaf posted:

The other option is to just march on queen's park with more than 18% of the population, and talk the GOTD into resigning under threat of the public health care and education systems up and collapsing

Or, alternately, to collapse them first and announce a forwarding address in Toronto

The problem is that most people won't see the healthcare system collapsing until it's way too late. Ford isn't going to going to just announce that healthcare is private, there's going to be BS like private hospitals that still charge under OHIP but make more money with "amenities", and these boutique private hospitals will suck up all the experienced doctors and nurses with better pay for running routine, easy profitable surgeries, leaving the public system struggling with residents performing the complex stuff, which makes the public system worse, which proves Ford's point, etc. all until we're suddenly surprised that medical bankruptcy is suddenly a thing here now.

Your average voter is blind to the problems with stuff like private clinics funded by OHIP, and thinks they're just a swell idea.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 19, 2022

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah exactly, when nurses quit over bad pay and policy it's usually not to go into, like, accounting. They get higher paying jobs or work at an agency like VON (dunno if they actually pay more though, just an example)

Also loving lmao at 1% raises. Even at my old crappy security job we got a minimum of 2% every year, and sometimes more. It's crazy that all the good parts of the civil service are crumbling... better hire more managers!

Yeah, it's insane. I've been pretty consistently getting 5%+ raises every year which is great even though that's still less than inflation this year. Not that I really expected an 8% raise.

Unfortunately we've now had direct experience with the crumbling health care system due to my wife struggling with a pretty severe fibroid situation. Months and months each time to see a doctor in person when she's having massive bleeding. When she actually managed to get iron supplements prescribed her ferritin levels were at basically 0. We were able to pay for an MRI over in Gatineau because a publicly funded one would have been 6 months or more. She's 'lucky' enough that the problem has gotten so severe that she was able to be scheduled for surgery in August in one of her gynecologist's emergency slots.

There are an enormous number of women out there with fibroids and similar who simply suffer for years because it isn't bad enough for them to get pushed to the front of the line, it's nuts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And just across the border is a small horde of qualified doctors who know rather a lot about that area, who've suddenly found themselves with very little to do.

If only there were some way to attract talent. What is it that motivates people to work again? Low wages and 100-hour work weeks? That's what they like, right?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

enki42 posted:

The problem is that most people won't see the healthcare system collapsing until it's way too late. Ford isn't going to going to just announce that healthcare is more private, there's going to be BS like private hospitals that still charge under OHIP but make more money with "ameneties", and these boutique private hospitals will suck up all the experienced doctors and nurses with better pay for running routine, easy profitable surgeries, leaving the public system struggling with residents performing the complex stuff, which makes the public system worse, which proves Ford's point, etc. all until we're suddenly surprised that medical bankruptcy is suddenly a thing here now.

Your average voter is blind to the problems with stuff like private clinics funded by OHIP, and thinks they're just a swell idea.

Which, honestly, surprises the hell out of me because even the MSM, who never met a tory tire they couldn't pump just a little harder, has had a lot to say on this topic over the last little while.

Nothing *useful*, mind: This hospital's closed, that one's overworked, here's a sad nurse, oh look all the anglos in Quebec are using Maple now, that sort of thing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
we're doing our best by only allowing people with 95+ averages into medschool which costs several hundred thousand dollars

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

We're dumb AF in Ontario. Like lets give the literal mob boss another 4 years because we're giant babies. :mad:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RBC posted:

we're doing our best by only allowing people with 95+ averages into medschool which costs several hundred thousand dollars

Without even bothering to check, I would wager that the people rejected from the five most mediocre medical schools in India could stand at arm's length from each other and completely cover the entire surface of the McGill campus, and the dumbest of them could still manage an MCAT score above 500.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I work with doctors and a lot of them are some dumb motherfuckers too. Nice people, well intentioned, hearts in the right place and serious about helping (we're in mental health), but still. There are times I'm shocked they made it as far as they did.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBC posted:

Even then it's still more about who you know. I know a few people who went to med school They had the grades and extra curricular activities but they all say they only got in becuase, through networking, they knew someone on the admissions panel.

DaysBefore posted:

I work with doctors and a lot of them are some dumb motherfuckers too. Nice people, well intentioned, hearts in the right place and serious about helping (we're in mental health), but still. There are times I'm shocked they made it as far as they did.
I remember when the "Invest in the Iraqi Dinar" scam was going around post the 2003 Iraqi invasion. Most of the marks were doctors, dentists, and lawyers. All people who generally have a bunch of money to invest and usually think that they're smart about everything becuase they went to grad school.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 19, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Stanley Pain posted:

Mostly the commercial aspect, but truth be told I'm not a fan of raising animals for slaughter in general.

So you're fine with hunting? What about other forms of domestication, such as dogs, sheep for wool, and so on?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The cost is less of a disqualifying issue than the insane entrance requirements and limited number of spots in both med school and residency.

Like everyone I know who got into med school, regardless of income, assets, credit, etc... Walked into a bank with a med school letter of acceptance and were instantly handed a turbo low interest line of credit for like, 300k with all payments deferred until post residency.

Although I'll qualify that with I'm just talking about the cost of med school itself. It absolutely isn't free in terms of cost and lost income to do all the extracurricular/research/potentially extra graduate degrees needed to have a chance of acceptance in the first place.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 19, 2022

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Oxyclean posted:

Wonder how this will go over lol

Judges love it when people get "cute".

But your honour, we said he wasn't involved in the post he was in. That disclaimer is legally binding.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It absolutely isn't free in terms of cost and lost income to do all the extracurricular/research/potentially extra graduate degrees needed to have a chance of acceptance in the first place.

Maybe this is my excessive onlineness talking, but this sounds like a lot of gates that are easier to pass through if you're a member of a group that shares certain physical characteristics.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

apatheticman posted:

Conservative premiers aren't coming to the table with a good faith negotiating position, they want more money and the ability to privatize.
But we should all want to give them more money, that's the only way to fix the system.

Why isn't the parliamentary majority with the Liberal-NDP coalition allowed to ask them for guarantees in exchange for the money. Guarantees not just about the security of the single payer system but also about reinforcing the system's ability to coordinate a response to a pandemic with national scope and to codify Canadians' reproductive rights. The latter of which otherwise exist only as long as it takes for the Conservatives to realize how wildly successfully their movement allies south of the border's judicial takeover project has been.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flakeloaf posted:

Maybe this is my excessive onlineness talking, but this sounds like a lot of gates that are easier to pass through if you're a member of a group that shares certain physical characteristics.
The last survey I saw of Canadian medical schools from a couple of years ago showed that medical students were less likely to identify as Aboriginal, Black, or White when compared to the general population and they were more likely to identify as South Asian or Chinese when compared to the general population.

The biggest difference between medical school students and the general Canadian population was parental income and education levels.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DaysBefore posted:

I think other than the rare brain genius types, we only have a limited amount of brain we can put into being good at stuff. Like attribute points in a video game (this is a reference to make sense to goons).

Like I am good at many different things, but not excellent at any. I cannot suture to save my life.

A surgeon may be excellent at suturing, the finest, tiniest knots, the most perfect tight placement, and yet be unable to even make spaghetti without somehow managing to burn it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, I think the point is that regardless of how nice the farm is and how well the animals are taken care of, at the end of the day they're going to be killed and it's not some peaceful "they'll go to sleep and not feel a thing" way.

Having worked in a pig processing plant, it actually is and can be, they’re loaded down into a chamber and essentially put to sleep by gas

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

to the person who got the 100 dollar gift card to the keg

you know that works on booze right

just go drink as much top shelf as 100 bucks gets you

and maybe a slice of billy miner pie

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DynamicSloth posted:

But we should all want to give them more money, that's the only way to fix the system.

Why isn't the parliamentary majority with the Liberal-NDP coalition allowed to ask them for guarantees in exchange for the money. Guarantees not just about the security of the single payer system but also about reinforcing the system's ability to coordinate a response to a pandemic with national scope and to codify Canadians' reproductive rights. The latter of which otherwise exist only as long as it takes for the Conservatives to realize how wildly successfully their movement allies south of the border's judicial takeover project has been.

They are, its a negotiation, whether or not they have the political will to do so is another story.

The counter narrative is pretty easy to peg. Conservative premiers get in a tizzy about "Ottawa is trying to tell us how to run our province we believe in solutions generated by our province" then they sue for a charter challenge.

Edit

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1549454907798953986

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 19, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

apatheticman posted:

The counter narrative is pretty easy to peg. Conservative premiers get in a tizzy about "Ottawa is trying to tell us how to run our province we believe in solutions generated by our province" then they sue for a charter challenge.
Plus they start talking about how healthcare is the provinces and territories responsibility to manage, organize, and deliver so Ottawa has no right to tell them how to spend the money.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Having worked in a pig processing plant, it actually is and can be, they’re loaded down into a chamber and essentially put to sleep by gas

I have only been outside pork slaughter houses but the noises you hear from outside imply the experience is not peaceful. I can't argue with your experience but what do you think made the difference between what was done where you worked and other places? You can go to various vetrinary groups and read what they have to say.

RSPCA Aus posted:

Commercial CO2 stunning involves pigs being exposed to high concentrations (>80% by volume in air) of CO2 resulting in gradual loss of consciousness. Recent studies have revealed a number of welfare issues with high concentration CO2 stunning.

The RSPCA recommends that stunning/killing pigs with high concentrations of CO2 should be phased out and replaced with a more humane alternative

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheCenturion posted:

So you're fine with hunting? What about other forms of domestication, such as dogs, sheep for wool, and so on?

I happen to think that keeping animals as pets is a bit perverse if you spend any time thinking about it, but I generally don't get in people's faces about it.

DrBox posted:

I have only been outside pork slaughter houses but the noises you hear from outside imply the experience is not peaceful. I can't argue with your experience but what do you think made the difference between what was done where you worked and other places? You can go to various vetrinary groups and read what they have to say.

To cut to the chase since we're still doing this weird derail, do you think a sufficiently humane process is possible, or is it impossible because of the general nature of farming animals for meat?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

apatheticman posted:

And then I suggest this would be impossible to say aloud without immediately feeling shame, then you point out that the speaker would be a tory and thus incapable of it

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

infernal machines posted:

I happen to think that keeping animals as pets is a bit perverse if you spend any time thinking about it, but I generally don't get in people's faces about it.

This is a conversation on a message board. I'm not chasing people down on the sidewalk throwing red paint.

infernal machines posted:

To cut to the chase since we're still doing this weird derail, do you think a sufficiently humane process is possible, or is it impossible because of the general nature of farming animals for meat?

Even with zero suffering I still think killing the animal is a rights violation so I'm against killing them if we have the option not to.

Theoretically there are methods we could use that would minimize or eliminate the suffering (although not the harm), but they would either not be economically viable or would ruin meat. When you bring the family dog to the vet to be put to sleep it's not a carousel lowered down into CO2.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

And then I suggest this would be impossible to say aloud without immediately feeling shame, then you point out that the speaker would be a tory and thus incapable of it

Time, it is a flat circle.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh for gently caress's sake do we have to do this again?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mad Hamish posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake do we have to do this again?

Let me just go light the grill first brb

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Responding to actual first hand experience and testimony with "I have only been outside pork slaughter houses but" is genuinely hilarious, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So does this count as a continuation of yesterday's vegan derail, or is this a whole new derail?