Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Biggest limitation is whether you have enough chainstay to make things fit. Thule recommends you don't put the center of mass of the Maxi less than 100mm behind the rear axle, which means you're limited on how far away you can keep the kid from your saddler.
This is my then 1.5yo (tho pretty big) on a Maxi mounted to Trek FX with 450mm stays:

This is maybe 2" back from the axle, so easier handling but certainly pretttty tight fit.
I went the same progression -- toddler had no complaints about riding on the bike, so upgraded to a much more spacious cargo bike.
Actually, he kept trying to push me off the saddle, which was amusing and slightly annoying.

This is the super jank adapter I made:

It's the top part of a no-name front mini rack with the strut legs cut off. At the front, it's bolted through onto the existing Axiom rack's holes and brake bridge strut.
At the rear, metal zip tied down onto the rack. It's decently secure, and I'm relying on the weight of the seat+toddler to keep it down.
Knowing how it was made definitely dictated what risks I was taking on it. Depending on the width (the Maxi rack-mount seat can only squeeze in so much) and weight limit of your rack, you could get away with it, or maybe you could also use an adapter.

Oh dang thanks for this. I looked over the instructions but didn't catch the implications of the spacing requirements. The MS has 425mm chainstays and my near 2 y/o is a 99th percentile giant baby so might not be ideal. The Vega is really narrow so even without Tubus's strong warnings I was thinking the Thule rack would be the path of least resistance. Not the most efficient to buy a rack that'll get ditched for a cargo bike but ultimately might be easiest way to figure if she likes it at all. I'll take some time to really look at the measurements.

What cargo bike setup did you go with?

Yeep posted:

I bought a Thule Chariot because it converts between bike trailer and running buggy and saves a bit of money on buying both. I don't think I've done more than 2-3 miles with it on the back of my bike though. I've got a friend who's 3 year old refuses to get in the trailer but is happy enough in a rear seat. He says a dropper post is invaluable for getting on and off with a child on the back. He also recommended trying a Shotgun seat (https://kidsrideshotgun.co.uk/) but there's no way I can make that work with drop bars.

Those front seats are pretty neat but same problem re: drop bars in my case. We've already got a jogging stroller so were looking at cheaper burleys if we did go the trailer route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

powderific posted:

Oh dang thanks for this. I looked over the instructions but didn't catch the implications of the spacing requirements. The MS has 425mm chainstays and my near 2 y/o is a 99th percentile giant baby so might not be ideal. The Vega is really narrow so even without Tubus's strong warnings I was thinking the Thule rack would be the path of least resistance. Not the most efficient to buy a rack that'll get ditched for a cargo bike but ultimately might be easiest way to figure if she likes it at all. I'll take some time to really look at the measurements.
Only thing I wanted to point out is I wrote "don't put the center of mass of the Maxi less than 100mm behind the rear axle"
when I meant don't put it further than 100mm past the rear axle. As it sits now, I don't feel too much rear polar moment from the kid, at 32lbs and maybe 10lbs of seat and rack.

quote:

What cargo bike setup did you go with?

Tern Cargo Node, which uses the Xtracycle Leap cargo kit.
I had some writeups about it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933902&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post518140895
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933970&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post518998836
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933970&pagenumber=43&perpage=40#post519322102

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Instagram keeps showing me this thing despite having no children

i've seen a kid at a trail centre on one of these. was very cute.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Two advantages to consider for a trailer that I didn’t see mentioned: if you happen to wipe out on the bike the trailer will stay upright, and then because it’s a trailer you can toss a bunch of crap in there without packing so neatly. A trailer is ideal to take my kid to daycare and the pool via a MUP and some streets.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ah yes, bicycle trailers. The things known for never flipping. Just like tricycles are more stable.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 19, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I gotta train a kid to do this when I come into the corners hot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thule makes some really nice kid seats, but they come at Thule prices. I know someone using one and it cost more than the bike its attached to.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Only thing I wanted to point out is I wrote "don't put the center of mass of the Maxi less than 100mm behind the rear axle"
when I meant don't put it further than 100mm past the rear axle. As it sits now, I don't feel too much rear polar moment from the kid, at 32lbs and maybe 10lbs of seat and rack.

Tern Cargo Node, which uses the Xtracycle Leap cargo kit.
I had some writeups about it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933902&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post518140895
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933970&pagenumber=41&perpage=40#post518998836
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3933970&pagenumber=43&perpage=40#post519322102

Oh yeah, I caught what you meant with positioning. Thanks for posting those links. I like the folding cargo bike thing — that'd be nicer for my living situation than a full big boy. Looks like Bike Friday makes one too.

For the trailers, I've seen that mentioned elsewhere about falling off your bike. To me it feels like something clipping the trailer would be more of a risk than flying off the bicycle in a way that the trailer is still OK. Though I've been told my dad had some kind of spill while I was in a burley back when I was a kid so I suppose it must happen. Assuming it's one of those things that no one really has statistics for so you gotta go by anecdotes and guessing?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

For me, I don't want to deal with the extra navigation chore of looking for bumps on 3 separate tracks and trying to set a compromise so's not to upset the trailer too much.
There's also a few spots on the daycare route where I'm just on the street, no bike lane, so the narrower I am, lane taking or no, the less risky I feel. I've gotten a handful of absolutely outrage inducing close passes, like 6" by a public bus or dump truck. Feel a tiny bit better that my hands are the widest part of this setup, and if I got clipped there, maybe the vehicle would be past before we tipped over to the left.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The one wheel trailers seem pretty stable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj0CmnxuTaQ

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Only noticing this now that I have the same latch system:

But the right one there isn't fully seated. Won't pop out at this point, but still.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

Only noticing this now that I have the same latch system:

But the right one there isn't fully seated. Won't pop out at this point, but still.

This is the mechanism that the Urban Arrow straps use. Works well.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
In the cycling and thread spirit of n+1, I think the only way to carry kids on a bike is a Surly Big Dummy or equivalent.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

Or a Bakfiets.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
N+1 is a strong force. I like the looks of Tern's mini cargo bike: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/short-haul-d8 but no dealers nearby. Yuba will drop ship the Kombi, but I like the idea of a smaller bike that weighs 35 lbs instead of 50 something.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yo link to that front rack, that might be good for mine, I don't like the basket ones.

The Soma Lucas 3 Mini Front Rack is a similar design that is currently made. And not horribly expensive, for a bike rack.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used a previous version of the Lucas with my rando bag for a while and really liked it. It's super light compared to a lot of other front racks too.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

kimbo305 posted:

For me, I don't want to deal with the extra navigation chore of looking for bumps on 3 separate tracks and trying to set a compromise so's not to upset the trailer too much.
There's also a few spots on the daycare route where I'm just on the street, no bike lane, so the narrower I am, lane taking or no, the less risky I feel. I've gotten a handful of absolutely outrage inducing close passes, like 6" by a public bus or dump truck. Feel a tiny bit better that my hands are the widest part of this setup, and if I got clipped there, maybe the vehicle would be past before we tipped over to the left.

Yeah, I get that. When I was still in the city I 100% planned on doing the cargo bike/kid seat setup. Lots of narrow/missing bike lanes and packed MUPs would have been totally unsuitable for a trailer - and I never saw one in use there, but saw kids on cargo bikes daily.

Here in the exurbs I’ve got tons of space on super quiet residential streets and empty sidewalks, so for cruising around the trailer’s extra width isn’t a burden. The risk level would be the same with a kid in a seat. And we’re just cruising for fun now, so I can stick to just routes that feel safe and quiet (and when the kid is school age, that’ll be easy to get to). If I were biking with her more I’d probably go back to wanting a cargo bike setup.

Turns out there’s no universal answer!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Turns out there’s no universal answer!

Yes there is.

Forty-two.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you only have one brake on a rigid bicycle, is it better to have it on the front or rear?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

If you only have one brake on a rigid bicycle, is it better to have it on the front or rear?

If you could only have one on a motorcycle which would you rather have

(the answer is front unless it's something that doesn't go fast like a cruiser with a coaster brake or something you're not really riding on the road like a racing bmx or a dirt jump bike)

((and you should really only have a front brake only on a fixed gear where your legs are the rear brake))

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 20, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The answer is always rear.

Think about a bike you probably rode as a kid where you move the pedals backwards and it would brake. Which tire did it use?

edit: I could also be stupid and wrong.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 20, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Front. Way way more braking power.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The answer is always rear.

Think about a bike you probably rode as a kid where you move the pedals backwards and it would break. Which tire did it use?

edit: I could also be stupid and wrong.

This really really depends on the task for the bicycle. I’m not exactly sure what is meant by rigid bicycle…to me that means rigid fork and rear triangle.

For a kid’s bike If they could only have a brake on one wheel, then I’d choose rear. For a fixed gear, you often find a single brake caliper on the front of new riders’ bikes. For me I’d choose front over rear for conditions where traction/grip are not a problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is my thinking:

If it has at least front suspension, definitely the front because the fork resists stoppies to some extent and lets you really load the tyre. This is pretty much the same rules as a motorbike and makes perfect sense to me.

Otoh I was told that with a totally rigid bike, the front is very limited because you just do a stoppie really quickly so it's better to have it on the rear, the idea being most of the weight is on the rear and you probably have more stopping power before locking the rear than you would before stoppie-ing with the front.

The other thing I guess is you can lock the rear and slide if you want to?

Idk I thought there was a shitload of folk wisdom in motorbikes but cycles are a whole nother level and I don't know what to believe.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Your weight transfers forward, and more of it the harder you brake. You want the front brake to leverage that.

quote:

Otoh I was told that with a totally rigid bike, the front is very limited because you just do a stoppie really quickly

You're not going to do a stoppie "really quickly", this is a completely unfounded fear the same way Harley motorcycle guys are afraid of using the front brake. Unless you have the dexterity of an elephant or you're downhill MTBing you have to really gently caress up to go over the bars because of braking the front too hard.

But really you want both brakes. Front for stopping power, rear for finesse. But if I could only choose one, stopping power over finesse in most circumstances.

Fixies can sort of get away with only a front brake better than other bikes, but then you've got other fixie problems.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 20, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't mean it like a fear, I'm meaning I've found that it doesn't take much brake force at all to get the bike to stoppie even with a relatively crap front brake. Like, after you've squashed the front tire the rest of the weight transfer doesn't help afaict because it just lifts the back wheel and that's as hard as you can go. My bike has a lovely roller rear brake so I can't really test this directly ATM.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you kind of panic and grab the brake hard and are sitting forward and up, you definitely can go over the bars. But if you shift your weight back and get lower and drop your heels you can possibly lock up the front tire before you'll go over. To stop in the shortest possible distance you want to mostly use front brake.

Personally I would not want to spend much time riding a bike with only one brake. And if I did only have one brake it would be front.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
If you've only got one brake then that is definitely a bike for hooning around on, so I'd go rear brake and do sweet skids everywhere.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

I don't mean it like a fear, I'm meaning I've found that it doesn't take much brake force at all to get the bike to stoppie even with a relatively crap front brake. Like, after you've squashed the front tire the rest of the weight transfer doesn't help afaict because it just lifts the back wheel and that's as hard as you can go. My bike has a lovely roller rear brake so I can't really test this directly ATM.

Learn to get your body low and shift your butt back. I would sooner skid my front tire and end up slipping out than lifting my rear wheel...except for on very steep descents.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

Learn to get your body low and shift your butt back. I would sooner skid my front tire and end up slipping out than lifting my rear wheel...except for on very steep descents.

Yeah I already know how to do this stuff from motorbikes, it's mostly unfamiliarity with bikes that have no suspension.

So in conclusion: if I build a fixie deathtrap, it should have a front brake.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Front brake for power, but requires finesse and carries risk of going over the bars if you get too excited about that lever
Rear brake won't send you over the bars but also means you can't stop as fast.

I'd go with front

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did a gravel race with only a front disc brake, it was terrifying but if I only had a rear I’d have definitely crashed because it’s simply not enough for a steep downhill.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Front brake, because of the weight transfer, having only a rear brake won’t stop you very fast before locking up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I brake often enough that I don't particularly care if I skid more (and that can be it's own fun) but I am too paranoid about flipping the bike with just front brakes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
You’ll very likely run into something from the inability to stop quickly long before you goof and go over the bars, the former being much worse than going OTB. I can’t stress enough the difference in stopping distance when it counts between the front and rear brake.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I brake often enough that I don't particularly care if I skid more (and that can be it's own fun) but I am too paranoid about flipping the bike with just front brakes.

Leraning how to work the front brake effectively and safely is one of those steps you should take as you learn to ride bikes.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Rolled over 8k miles on my road bike since buying it on a nice ride with my wife today. I remember when I bought it I was worried I was spending a bunch of money on a toy I'd never use, and here I am now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It’s pretty hard to do a massive OTB endo unless you’re using the front brake lever like it’s a switch with only fully on or off positions. Modulate the front brake and shift weight over the back wheel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Rolled over 8k miles on my road bike since buying it on a nice ride with my wife today. I remember when I bought it I was worried I was spending a bunch of money on a toy I'd never use, and here I am now.

Post the bike, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

On pavement:
Front brakes are for stopping
Rear brakes are for when you want to buy new tires.

I hope this helps.