Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

Kind of a stupid question but do servers cost more to run when they have more players in them?

If they are using AWS and it's variety of features, yes.

The exciting thing about Amazon is how it does costing. It all looks super cheap and viable initially, and they even give you a huge amount of free processes.

Once you get up to any kind of scale though, you can get crushed fast. All these costs add up, all your cool interconnections all have a charge associated with them, the interfaces between them have a cost, and depending on how integrated you went with AWS, your running cost can be pretty expensive.

Is it expensive for someone like cig with millions of dollars and they're buying real estate all over the world like it's candy? Shouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TwidgetTV/status/1549018871071264770
https://twitter.com/rolokipp/status/1549026756987801606
https://twitter.com/SolProvision/status/1549028151548084224
https://twitter.com/rolokipp/status/1549020333281198081

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
PTU has giant battles with 100 players and there will be an in-person event for building ships with Lego bricks.

My faith is restored, buying 3 idriseses.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound
https://i.imgur.com/8yw75HR.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

I sign for "the biggest sandbox spacesim simulation" not for multiple simulations. By far I prefer 1 server like a mmo.

It's not a question of 'If' it's a question of 'When' (and of course money).

In the future I'm sure there will be hardware far more powerful than we have now and so current limitations are based upon hardware limits for all games and all gamers. CIG are about pushing the limits of the current hardware, which means as hardware improves the technology to most efficiently harness that raw power improves too. Servers will improve, and we know AWS has been upgrading their server architecture so improvements in CIG's player count and system expansion may be partially accounted for by that, but once the meshing of servers removes the cap(s), then the limitation becomes signal travel time. Will there be new technology to improve signal travel time significantly? Yes, almost certainly. You know? What if CIG take the usual industry approach and just sit and wait awhile they won't need to simulate space travel to other planets, you'll be able to do it IRL, if you live that long.

Some clever predictive AI can offset signal travel time limitations and CIG have said they are looking into that, in the meantime even if they remain restrained to regional shards as they are now they can do what virtually no other game designers can do, because they have it built into their system from almost the beginning- as well as going high with player counts, they can go deep and wide with content for those players. The limitations of FPS single-palyer vs MMO become thinner and thinner.

Part of the reason we knew we had to go the crowdfunding route, a big part, is that what they were planning for and what the SC player base was asking them do would take so long and use so much resources (time and money) that few if any private investors would tolerate the risk or the wait, it's easy to look at it now and suggest sure, of course they'd all make games this way - but not 10 ago they wouldn't. People often say things like... by the time it releases other games will overtake Star Citizen, or Chris Roberts is unrealistic and should have stuck to limited traditional models of game development.. what would be the point in that? It would have been a huge waste of the very best resources we have, the enthusiasm and drive of a gaming community. We can rely on other game developers to squander that... they are limited by investor confidence to follow the hardware technology trends, not push them. Despite the hype no other game developer has had the input and time to develop the tools and resources in depth that this community has given to CIG - and basically you ain't seen nothing yet as far as those tools and resources are concerned. Bethesda said they have upgraded their game engine to make Starfield, but an ex-employee says they haven't upgraded it that much, from what I can see the ability to climb ladders seems to have 'self-impressed them' by quite a bit.

Level design is one of the most costly parts of game development because traditionally it is done by hand with small armies of experienced level designers over years with fairly minimal interaction with those tool designers who make the level design tools, it's why game levels are traditionally quite small, what CIG have been doing is automating game level design (from weeks to hours in some cases) and large structure construction so that now the limitation at the entry stage is artists... and there's always plenty of them, and in later stages engineers which unfortunately there aren't so many of them with the skillsets required - but CIG uses the similar approach - maximise the work done by the engineers and remove that time limit to allow them to do what they wouldn't normally get the opportunity to do. The thing about the work that engineers do is, it's a one off deal, they aren't like artists constantly having to churn out more and more of basically the same thing with a few variations.

Here's an interesting note to consider about Starfield and Bethesda (one the biggest game developers with plenty of staff and resources, enough to dwarf CIG), Starfield will be single player just like Skyrim and Fallout were, and remain - as far as Bethesda is concerned - yet modders with access the Skyrim Creation Kit used to make their Skyrim and Fallout games have now made those games multiplayer, with up to 8 players at a time. It's likely they will make Starfield multiplayer BEFORE Bethesda does. So much for Bethesda 'beating anyone to it'.

It's it interesting isn't it, gamer lead projects always seem to do more with less (given the time) don't they?

Most games are realised 'as is planned from day one', with some features even being removed usually - with a few bug-fixing updates and paid expansions for a few years. What few outside (and even some inside!) understand about this project is that it was always supposed to be in continual expansion for decades - these screams of 'feature creep!' are somewhat amusing to those of us who knew what the will of the community predominantly was back in the first few years. What we have now is better than the original plan by far and many understand that the 2012 - 2014 version would likely have been very dated by now coming to end of life some what like Elite Dangerous is. So when you play Starfield (and I hope you do) it might be worth remembering that 'this' is what Squadron 42 and Star Citizen was going to look like back in 2016 and yet a huge company like Bethesda and all it's resources couldn't have done it with the budget we had by 2016, or even with their corporate budget they couldn't have done it in 4 years... and they didn't have to start from a blank page, 12 employees, with no tools in a basement of a home.

What we can look forward to now with Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is the way it was planned since around 2014/2015 when we knew we had the incredible community support to allow it.

The tables have turned, instead of game developers blowing the minds of the consumers, it was now the backers/gamers who would blow the minds of the developers and open up possibilities they never thought possible a few short years ago. I think that huge cultural change in game development was worth the wait.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This person posts are the embodiment of the "i ain't reading all that" meme.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Monocle cat's jerk off material

Yes, grandad, the future game they'll make one day will be the best game ever. Now let's get you to bed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Y'all, do you understand how desperate I am about manifesting this space ship future?"

.random
May 7, 2007

Normally his posts are somewhat coherent albeit totally ridiculous and based off of made up talking points. This particular post is way more unhinged and scattered than usual, and I say that as a connoisseur with deep appreciation for Monocle Cat’s lunatic ravings. I hope he gets the opportunity to orally pleasure someone for hours before things get any worse :ohdear:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

gamer lead projects always seem to do more with less

:lol:

Star Citizen: gamer lead projects always seem to do more with less

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Proof that Chris isn't a gamer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

.random posted:

Normally his posts are somewhat coherent albeit totally ridiculous and based off of made up talking points. This particular post is way more unhinged and scattered than usual, and I say that as a connoisseur with deep appreciation for Monocle Cat’s lunatic ravings. I hope he gets the opportunity to orally pleasure someone for hours before things get any worse :ohdear:

Just from the start, which is as far as I got, it looks like he's admitted that technology has failed cig and only the technology of the future can make it work because cig is too good.

Some day people will make the connection that this is not "looking ahead", it's failing to understand technology at your disposal and using it wisely, and bad programming techniques and methodology used.

It's just failure, sorry. :shrug:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Just from the start, which is as far as I got, it looks like he's admitted that technology has failed cig and only the technology of the future can make it work because cig is too good.

Some day people will make the connection that this is not "looking ahead", it's failing to understand technology at your disposal and using it wisely, and bad programming techniques and methodology used.

It's just failure, sorry. :shrug:

Considering they started over a decade ago, the available tech has already eclipsed what they thought they'd be able to build it on, and they still can't get it done.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cmdrk posted:

:lol:

Star Citizen: gamer lead projects always seem to do more with less

Spending Half A Billion Dollars:
How to look like you have less

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So having browsed this thread for a bit, it seems like i should not buy this game and should instead smash my dick between two bricks for a better time?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cimber posted:

So having browsed this thread for a bit, it seems like i should not buy this game and should instead smash my dick between two bricks for a better time?

Or you could just slam it in a car door. You do you.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Or you could just slam it in a car door. You do you.

I like to use the lid of a chest freezer ..... that way the tip gets cold too.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Monocle Cat insanity.

Hold up.
Thay straight up think that CIG or someone will be able to fix physics and improve signal travel time so we can have faster connections?

This is their most deranged rant so far.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I'm still convinced Monocle Cat is a deep-cover troll. The alternative is too terrible to think about.

eta: Wait, it's page 2126! I bet this forum will surpass the year Star Citizen is supposed to be set!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The best capitalists source their money from anti-capitalists.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Cimber posted:

Whichever option you decide to go for, make sure to capture it and upload the results to youtube.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Plan R posted:

I'm still convinced Monocle Cat is a deep-cover troll. The alternative is too terrible to think about.

Monocle Cat is actually an account opened to train our AI Threadbot Mirificus.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Plan R posted:

eta: Wait, it's page 2126! I bet this forum will surpass the year Star Citizen is supposed to be set!

We're getting to the Mass Effect timeline, actually. Anyway, my assumption is that he's a paid influencer who's despising the people he's shilling for.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
This is from a few days ago. There I go, dredging up the distant past. Citizens hate it!

Exhibit 1: There's 4 million Citizens, right? Says so right in the picture.

Exhibit 2: A tweet from the official account: 3 days later, 250 likes, 30 comments.

Now, I'm no math jenius, I'm no Alan Turing or John Nash, with their "find x" nonsense (x isn't a number, it's a letter, silly!), but that looks like an engagement rate of 0.00625% to me.

Something isn't adding up.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Only Kindness posted:

This is from a few days ago. There I go, dredging up the distant past. Citizens hate it!

Exhibit 2: A tweet from the official account: 3 days later, 250 likes, 30 comments.

Now, I'm no math jenius, I'm no Alan Turing or John Nash, with their "find x" nonsense (x isn't a number, it's a letter, silly!), but that looks like an engagement rate of 0.00625% to me.

Why interact with the real world when you can live in the BDSSE

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's because there's at best 500k guys that all made multiple accounts

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The best drat physics and flight model in any game.

:reddit: The elusive Avenger courts a female.

https://v.redd.it/2lmkqalu4kc91/DASH_480.mp4

knowledgeable commando posted:

Modern Fighters can virtually do this already. Google it. Now add a few centuries of tech advances.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 20, 2022

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Dwesa posted:

knowledgeable commando posted:

Modern Fighters can virtually do this already. Google it. Now add a few centuries of tech advances.

If modern fighters can hang above ground nose pointing down (or up), I believe internet must be connecting multiple realities, and this commando is posting from reality where start citizen is a game

Also every single second of that video looks like poo poo. And what's up with texture repeat on those exploded parts? :cmon: CIG don't you have like 500 artists?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Are the aerodynamic designs at all necessary if the SC universe has this level of anti gravity technology. Would be more fun if the ships were randomly shaped blobs or Borg cubes.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Plan R posted:

Lol this is like the 5th? 6th? SC thread and the others all got closed just before getting too long for the forums software

It's more like page 52126 is what I'm saying, we surpassed SC's setting year and directly lapped it several times

Much like CoD Infinite Warfare / Elite Dangerous / No Man's Sky have done to SC, and Starfield is likely to do on release :v:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

The broad trend of "idol worship" of people seems very unhealthy to me, like if you're the sort of person who follows every bit of news about someone, it just doesn't seem good.
There are probably some people who would be interesting/fun to meet but I just can't grasp taking so much interest in someone's life that you've never even met and certainly aren't your friend.

That said, if I were to worship someone like that, it sure as poo poo wouldn't be the workforce at some crappy game studio.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

NumptyScrub posted:

Much like CoD Infinite Warfare / Elite Dangerous / No Man's Sky have done to SC, and Starfield is likely to do on release :v:
Speaking of NMS, they overhauled freighters. Among other things, they have NPC crews now, they are probably just background NPCs doing nothing, but it is still more than any SC capital ship and it only costs you the initial game purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSvwcneTNu4

Only Kindness posted:

Speaking of NMS again
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1549342119910948865

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

https://twitter.com/cmd_Terada/status/1549521872504717312

I imagine this took a ton of coordination to put together as some sort of crowning achievement, and it still looks dull and boring as gently caress (also wait for the couple of ships that randomly blow up anyway towards the end).

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Is it still the case that burning effect is only there when you're in the upper atmosphere, but disappears when you're lower even if you maintain same velocity? I also seem to remember that you also burned from front when you were reversing. I assume that yes, since it was done for that one demo in 2014 or something and nobody touched it since. Or maybe it's my imagination, who knows

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Zero_Grade posted:

I imagine this took a ton of coordination to put together as some sort of crowning achievement, and it still looks dull and boring as gently caress (also wait for the couple of ships that randomly blow up anyway towards the end).

I'm impressed that the server remained stable and didn't 30k everyone on a whim tbh, it was pretty wobbly during the free flys I tried out. Only losing a couple of players to ship jank actually feels like an improvement lol

A decade of dev and server instability is still a thing, the true genuis of The Code Whisperer

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zero_Grade posted:

that's not how you do an atmospheric entry at all. you're going so fast and are just going to burn up. i thought this game prided itself on realism

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

commando in tophat posted:

I also seem to remember that you also burned from front when you were reversing.

Star citizen actually simulates the state of the air molecules in contact with your ship so I highly doubt that is the case, have you checked your HOME COCKPIT GAMING RIG is set up correctly and can actually run the minimum specs?

E: actually it looks like this can happen in limited circumstances because the quantums of the air are injected from the meshing servers in front of your ship. This is because they need to simulate the same particles in the same places on all players' clients simultaneously. I think it's a bit ungrateful to be moaning about that when you really consider...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

i mean that looks like max 30 players, but sure 100 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cimber posted:

Oddly specific!