Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Slickdrac posted:

Yeah, I get that the multipliers were kinda busted if you figured out what to do before he changed them to this, but uhhhh, once you get to 5/1/2 you're kinda stuck in a day or two real time of pill grind right now and it's real bad

How long do you want an idle game to take from start to finish? There's not much content left is my guess so the dev is doing the wall thing because it's WIP. I'm expecting a forced wipe of saves in a few months for "balance" reasons some backlash from the community and a promise to never do that again short after.

It's the normal idle game flow. If you've never played one super early well this is pretty much how it goes most of the time. I've mentally marked it as fun check back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Odd jobs>Begging>Get the $1000 house>Odd jobs with just enough begging to not go broke>Fishing+begging>herbs+alchemy until you can get +100 years of age bonus, then start working other skills

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

Odd jobs>Begging>Get the $1000 house>Odd jobs with just enough begging to not go broke>Fishing+begging>herbs+alchemy until you can get +100 years of age bonus, then start working other skills

This, plus once you get the 100 years from alchemy you can work on farming to get another 72 years from eating good food.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

pixaal posted:

How long do you want an idle game to take from start to finish? There's not much content left is my guess so the dev is doing the wall thing because it's WIP. I'm expecting a forced wipe of saves in a few months for "balance" reasons some backlash from the community and a promise to never do that again short after.

It's the normal idle game flow.

Overall time required is irrelevant, what matters is consistent flow. NGU is long, and you get in a rythm of interacting with it a couple times a day. Paperclips is short and you're clicking plenty, they're both good.

Right now, the game flow is very active and you change your cycles up quite a bit throughout about 7-10 hours or so, or however long it takes you to puzzle out what to do or how anything unlocks because nothing is documented. You can ascend 8 times and make steady progression. Then suddenly you need to build an impossible house, or to get an impossible gem, and you setup a pill farm and just gently caress off for nearly a day because there's absolutely nothing you can do to speed it up.

People who figured out the mechanics were able to just blitz through certainly a bit to quick for the intention, I just figured them out the night before last and went from 0 ascensions to 8 in a 3 hour span. And today after refreshing I have spent 12 hours just watching a tiny number increment by 1 every minute or 2 and it needs to do that at least 1000 times, possibly more, meanwhile every other number has been capped out for 10 hours. That's not good game flow.

edit: Actually, as someone just pointed out, because of the changes that make your multipliers carry over now to an extent through ascensions, someone who knows what they're doing can hit this wall in about 3-4 hours optimally

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 19, 2022

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
did they update the base lifespan to be 70 years? I refreshed and now im at 70 years base and I don't think I did anything to do that.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Sibling of TB posted:

did they update the base lifespan to be 70 years? I refreshed and now im at 70 years base and I don't think I did anything to do that.

I'm confused about that too, but I assumed that was part of my first ascension since I logged out yesterday after hitting it

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

Overall time required is irrelevant, what matters is consistent flow. NGU is long, and you get in a rythm of interacting with it a couple times a day. Paperclips is short and you're clicking plenty, they're both good.

Right now, the game flow is very active and you change your cycles up quite a bit throughout about 7-10 hours or so, or however long it takes you to puzzle out what to do or how anything unlocks because nothing is documented. You can ascend 8 times and make steady progression. Then suddenly you need to build an impossible house, or to get an impossible gem, and you setup a pill farm and just gently caress off for nearly a day because there's absolutely nothing you can do to speed it up.

People who figured out the mechanics were able to just blitz through certainly a bit to quick for the intention, I just figured them out the night before last and went from 0 ascensions to 8 in a 3 hour span. And today after refreshing I have spent 12 hours just watching a tiny number increment by 1 every minute or 2 and it needs to do that at least 1000 times, possibly more, meanwhile every other number has been capped out for 10 hours. That's not good game flow.

edit: Actually, as someone just pointed out, because of the changes that make your multipliers carry over now to an extent through ascensions, someone who knows what they're doing can hit this wall in about 3-4 hours optimally

Immortality was released too early in development is the problem. NGU took the time to do private betas with goons prior to the bigger release. The earlier ones weren't as polished and 4G took the suggestions to heart and made the game what it is. We're watching this dev do that very publicly. Not the first idle dev to try this but it often ends up in frustration as people see themselves as players and not testers.

Your testing the game at this point in the development cycle. I am saying while it is presented like a game, it is not yet a game and the dev is uncaring about fairness because in their mind the game isn't out yet. You can play, make suggestions, and improve the final game, or you can wait for a more stable release in 6-9 months if it doesn't collapse, which is what I'm doing.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pixaal posted:

while it is presented like a game, it is not yet a game
ehh, so few incrementals really have endings or specific end goals that I dunno what would distinguish this "not-game" from a "game"

I guess since you can hit the big wall in <10 hours and there's no hyper double prestige for you to wail on infinitely it doesn't have the "keep it in a tab, forever" property of some incrementals.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah Immortality right now is almost incomprehensible to me. I feel like I'm running blind. I'm on my 30th reincarnation, with over 20 of them just pushing fishing/herbs/alchemy and nothing is changing except my aptitudes. I can't tell what action is raising what stats except by experimentation and it's tough to experiment because dying resets everything. I want to like it, but I feel like nothing is happening.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I think the dev wanted to keep certain parts purposefully mysterious, which is their right, but I honestly played most of it while reading the source in the browser console which is a weird vibe.

Better than something like Synergism though where even if I knew the mechanics perfectly I would have no idea how to advance to the next part, mathematically, without Discord

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

Yeah Immortality right now is almost incomprehensible to me. I feel like I'm running blind. I'm on my 30th reincarnation, with over 20 of them just pushing fishing/herbs/alchemy and nothing is changing except my aptitudes. I can't tell what action is raising what stats except by experimentation and it's tough to experiment because dying resets everything. I want to like it, but I feel like nothing is happening.

What you want to be doing is hitting one thing per life as hard as you can- so it's not fishing/herbs/alchemy, it's fishing->herbs->alchemy with as much of your 30 years spent in alchemy as you can manage. You also want to get the best house you can reasonably afford- throw down enough politics to get the 10k house every life until your alchemy starts to out-earn it. Once you start poking at Master Alchemy you can bring herbs back in to start generating the pills that give you more years, and as soon as you hit that you spike hard into being able to do whatever you want with your massively extended time. Master Alchemy also gives you money which you can plunge into fields which you can plunge into food, which you should be auto-eating as much as possible (once you start getting piles of it, turn off auto-eating so that you can pick up the inventory slot expansion upgrades).

I will say, compared to other cultivation-y games, this is the first one where "give me more time" seems like a genuine core goal that is reflected in the mechanics rather than some theoretical thing that we're trying to achieve maybe. It does the thing that only the best prestige-driven idle games do, which is make your initial runs scratching in the dirt compared to where you quickly end up.

For those wondering "do I really have to merge equipment manually" the answer is you do unlock automation for that poo poo and the unlock is annoying: you have equip a full set of weapons or armour (both a metal and a wooden weapon, or a full set of armour) with +123 base stat in each slot to unlock auto-merge for that equipment type, and then do the same but with +8888 to unlock auto-equip.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 19, 2022

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Somfin posted:

What you want to be doing is hitting one thing per life as hard as you can- so it's not fishing/herbs/alchemy, it's fishing->herbs->alchemy with as much of your 30 years spent in alchemy as you can manage. You also want to get the best house you can reasonably afford- throw down enough politics to get the 10k house every life until your alchemy starts to out-earn it. Once you start poking at Master Alchemy you can bring herbs back in to start generating the pills that give you more years, and as soon as you hit that you spike hard into being able to do whatever you want with your massively extended time. Master Alchemy also gives you money which you can plunge into fields which you can plunge into food, which you should be auto-eating as much as possible (once you start getting piles of it, turn off auto-eating so that you can pick up the inventory slot expansion upgrades)

Also, sooner or later you're going to pick up manuals that let you automate things like 'upgrading your house' and 'plowing fields' so you'll be better able to just let the game run while your aptitudes get huge

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok the secrets are being revealed to me. I was already able to focus on alchemy so actually doing it is producing results. Thanks!

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
so how do you get automatic soul gem merging because goddamn

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

ehh, so few incrementals really have endings or specific end goals that I dunno what would distinguish this "not-game" from a "game"

I guess since you can hit the big wall in <10 hours and there's no hyper double prestige for you to wail on infinitely it doesn't have the "keep it in a tab, forever" property of some incrementals.

Sorry I more mean it's a test. Game was a poor word choice there really... product I think I mean?

It feels very early work in progress that will become a game because it is being worked on. Like the Dev isn't treating it like a game they are treating it like a test bed and showing off what they have so far.

Which to me means being angry playing it like a game vs a test. At some point with patches it will be stable and treated like a game with continuity between patches considered.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 19, 2022

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Feline Mind Meld posted:

so how do you get automatic soul gem merging because goddamn

I think it's ONLY via a specific follower

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I'm not exactly sure how I'm gonna get the 16 gem then. I guess I just need to grind up spirituality until that does something

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I'm not exactly sure how I'm gonna get the 16 gem then. I guess I just need to grind up spirituality until that does something

There's a follower that does it but lol the balance is completely broken right now so just use an autoclicker.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
If anyone has a "give me pills" JS command, please post :(

EDIT:
Looks like pills aren't an actual stand-alone variable?

v(1),yn(" You have consumed ",yt(2,2,100*(e.characterService.characterState.empowermentFactor-1),"1.0-0")," Empowerment Pills which multiplies all your attribute gains by ",yt(3,5,e.characterService.characterState.empowermentFactor,"1.0-2"),". You will always keep this bonus, even after ascending. ")}}

EDIT 2:
Eh, never mind. The pill grind is nasty, but once you hit around 1500 pills, the whole game comes back and is cool again

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 20, 2022

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Will anything in Immortality ever increase starting stamina or mana, or are you stuck setting up hunting/fishing/core/extend life manually as needed every time?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There is nothing, no. Whether that changes later on in development remains to be seen but for now you have to build those up from scratch every time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Will anything in Immortality ever increase starting stamina or mana, or are you stuck setting up hunting/fishing/core/extend life manually as needed every time?

This is what made me close it for now. The whole point of having a loop is that I want to keep using the loop I set up. But if it never gets to the point where I can just load in the loop then that's not super useful because I have to mess with it every time I die.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I know there's a Game dev thread here, but I'm curious if anyone would be interested/mind if I posted updates on the Idle game I'm working on.

Probably still quite a bit out from putting out a demo since core bits of the loop aren't done, saving included, but I figure I could still get feedback on design and such from screenshots.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Deki posted:

I know there's a Game dev thread here, but I'm curious if anyone would be interested/mind if I posted updates on the Idle game I'm working on.

Probably still quite a bit out from putting out a demo since core bits of the loop aren't done, saving included, but I figure I could still get feedback on design and such from screenshots.

Please do, we're always happy to critique and try out new stuff.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Deki posted:

We love this kind of thing.
:justpost:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Alright, I'm working on an Idle game that's based around running a RPGesque weapon shop/forge. Right now I have most of the initial loop done, but there's a lot of UI reworking I want to do, and a lot of functionality isn't 100% done or polished because I am ADHD as all hell.

The player designs weapons/tools to be produced. I kind of want this to be a situation where there's not one "best" option to do at any point. Crafting weapons improves the stats of the adventurers you send out on Adventures to unlock new content and produce rarer resources, and Crafting Tools improve a related town building which both improves it's passive effect and unlocks related upgrades at the cost of being less profitable than Weapons. Using the best resources and item options will not necessarily make as much money as pumping out cheap items, so there's going to be tradeoffs. I also plan on having item loadouts be savable so it's not a pain in the rear end to reset on ascension.

(Step 3/4 are placeholders for flavor text each item will have for making the item)

(Crafting options haven't been started yet, but it's going to be options like poisoning daggers, adding gold filigree to a sword, rushing or painstakingly working an item, all options that effect the price/power/quality of the item by changing the crafting speed/adding more required resources/etc)

Adventurers are the basic units you send out on Expeditions. Each adventurer is tied to a specific weapon type, and they use the best item of that type you've crafted that run. Each adventurer will also have at least one trait that will affect different dungeons and party comps (think WoW garrison missions)(NYI). They'll also level and get stronger as you send them out on expeditions, but their equipped item will be the bulk of their power.

The Expeditions you send people on will produce rarer resources and will unlock more dungeons/unlocks/blueprints, along with Relics (NYI), which are rare items with passive bonuses that incentivize running older dungeons and using lower tier adventurers.

Finally, you'll have employees to manage. Every minute or so you can roll a new batch of generated employees, which will have different bonuses. Employee management is not intended to be something you need to optimize for progression, but rolling a very high tier Employee with good traits might well push you past content walls. Employees are run-only but I do plan on having prestige options to keep selected Employees through runs.

Aside from that, it's all pretty standard Idle fare. There's Upgrades that take gold, there will be achievements that provide some level of bonuses, and there'll be a prestige system that adds more bonuses and gatekeeps future mechanics that I haven't fully fleshed out yet.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Deki posted:

Alright, I'm working on an Idle game that's based around running a RPGesque weapon shop/forge. Right now I have most of the initial loop done, but there's a lot of UI reworking I want to do, and a lot of functionality isn't 100% done or polished because I am ADHD as all hell.

The player designs weapons/tools to be produced. I kind of want this to be a situation where there's not one "best" option to do at any point. Crafting weapons improves the stats of the adventurers you send out on Adventures to unlock new content and produce rarer resources, and Crafting Tools improve a related town building which both improves it's passive effect and unlocks related upgrades at the cost of being less profitable than Weapons. Using the best resources and item options will not necessarily make as much money as pumping out cheap items, so there's going to be tradeoffs. I also plan on having item loadouts be savable so it's not a pain in the rear end to reset on ascension.

(Step 3/4 are placeholders for flavor text each item will have for making the item)

(Crafting options haven't been started yet, but it's going to be options like poisoning daggers, adding gold filigree to a sword, rushing or painstakingly working an item, all options that effect the price/power/quality of the item by changing the crafting speed/adding more required resources/etc)

Adventurers are the basic units you send out on Expeditions. Each adventurer is tied to a specific weapon type, and they use the best item of that type you've crafted that run. Each adventurer will also have at least one trait that will affect different dungeons and party comps (think WoW garrison missions)(NYI). They'll also level and get stronger as you send them out on expeditions, but their equipped item will be the bulk of their power.

The Expeditions you send people on will produce rarer resources and will unlock more dungeons/unlocks/blueprints, along with Relics (NYI), which are rare items with passive bonuses that incentivize running older dungeons and using lower tier adventurers.

Finally, you'll have employees to manage. Every minute or so you can roll a new batch of generated employees, which will have different bonuses. Employee management is not intended to be something you need to optimize for progression, but rolling a very high tier Employee with good traits might well push you past content walls. Employees are run-only but I do plan on having prestige options to keep selected Employees through runs.

Aside from that, it's all pretty standard Idle fare. There's Upgrades that take gold, there will be achievements that provide some level of bonuses, and there'll be a prestige system that adds more bonuses and gatekeeps future mechanics that I haven't fully fleshed out yet.

Seems to take a lot from the system loops of Shop Hero/Shop Titans, which I’ve certainly dumped a ton of hours into. Looking forward to seeing it progress further!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah looks really neat and I've also been a fan of those shop games. UI is clean and readable, which already speaks volumes. Keep up the good work!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Immortality Idle is fascinating as every single update continues to nerf pills harder and harder. They really don't want people progressing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Immortality Idle is fascinating as every single update continues to nerf pills harder and harder. They really don't want people progressing.

I think they're just trying to spread out the content better. It was so very fast a week ago that it needs to find a better balance. It's either that or they end up with having to make numbers go faster elsewhere and this early in development that's a recipe for disaster.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Klungar posted:

Seems to take a lot from the system loops of Shop Hero/Shop Titans, which I’ve certainly dumped a ton of hours into. Looking forward to seeing it progress further!

Speaking of - are there any archived earlier editions of these games in dark corners of the web, before it became a pay-to-play mobile game mess?

IIRC shop heros 1 didn't even have a town, so it may not depend on multiplayer servers being up

e: I think earlier iterations were called Sword and Potions (there was 1 and 2)

Ichabod Sexbeast fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 22, 2022

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Speaking of - are there any archived earlier editions of these games in dark corners of the web, before it became a pay-to-play mobile game mess?

IIRC shop heros 1 didn't even have a town, so it may not depend on multiplayer servers being up

e: I think earlier iterations were called Sword and Potions (there was 1 and 2)

Shop Heroes/Titans were always designed like that (though Titans is 100% playable w/o buying anything).

I doubt you'd find a S&P version available from before it became absolute dogshit simply because it'd need to connect to the servers.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

EvolveIdle Questions:

-So doing 4* Technophobe in each Universe is necessary to max out its power, but does this include the Standard Universe? I assume not.

-I see that the main reason I would want to 4* Pillar is because of the Enlightenment Achievement, but since that only credits one species per genus is there any reason for me to not do the rest of the pillaring at 0* for speed? I can see that the Equilibrium Feat tracks Pillar *s by individual species, but Feats don't give Mastery so should I bother?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

KazigluBey posted:

EvolveIdle Questions:

-So doing 4* Technophobe in each Universe is necessary to max out its power, but does this include the Standard Universe? I assume not.

-I see that the main reason I would want to 4* Pillar is because of the Enlightenment Achievement, but since that only credits one species per genus is there any reason for me to not do the rest of the pillaring at 0* for speed? I can see that the Equilibrium Feat tracks Pillar *s by individual species, but Feats don't give Mastery so should I bother?

- No need to do standard. Your first technophobe is worth double: standard + whatever universe you're in.

- I believe that's correct. No need to 4* pillar except for once for each genus. Also keep in mind your custom race's genus isn't static for achievement purposes. So if you pillar as your custom race, and your custom race is "small", then respec custom and change genus to "demonic" (or whatever), you'll lose credit for having done it as "small" and gain it for "demonic"

I'm wrapping up my final technophobe today. Antimatter technophobe sucks pretty badly, although I think magic was the worst one overall. Probably because my magic universe mastery wasn't very high.

Going to respec my custom for truepath and see what's going on there. I know to focus on soldier training time reduction as a priority for this one and that soul gems are irrelevant. The rewards for MAD/bioseed don't look particularly great, but the AI Apocalypse is very tempting to push for even if it takes a while.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Going to respec my custom for truepath and see what's going on there. I know to focus on soldier training time reduction as a priority for this one and that soul gems are irrelevant. The rewards for MAD/bioseed don't look particularly great, but the AI Apocalypse is very tempting to push for even if it takes a while.

Stack soldier healing before training then production for one specific phase. And yeah the Iridium smelting is solid as a percentage boost to iridium gain.

The two new races you get for it are also quite different.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently the seasonal heroes you can get from the Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms midsummer event are actually player characters from an official Ravenloft stream thing they do? That's pretty smart cross-marketing.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Pope Guilty posted:

Apparently the seasonal heroes you can get from the Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms midsummer event are actually player characters from an official Ravenloft stream thing they do? That's pretty smart cross-marketing.

Like half of the characters in the game are from actual play streams they work with. Heck, they've done full partnered "vote in-game each day to pick which things happen in the actual play" events multiple times.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
which stat lets you get more followers? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to progress other than slamming the fancy pills at the moment

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Feline Mind Meld posted:

which stat lets you get more followers? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to progress other than slamming the fancy pills at the moment

50M charisma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Xand_Man posted:

50M charisma

oh I know the unlock I just cap out at 34 followers and there's an achievement for 100 so I assume there's a way to get to that