Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

0konner posted:

Well wait they with hindsight wanted a draft thinking we should have invaded Afghanistan and Iraq harder with millions of troops? Or they wanted a draft so domestic political pressure would have ended the wars sooner?
Maybe someone else remembers and can correct me but the impression I got was that, after talking for ages about how many people voluntarily signed up, they still all agreed for some reason that there should have been a military draft. Somehow I don't think it was to increase political pressure. You have to put up with some weird stuff when you listen to a wrestling podcast but this episode was something else.

Edit: found this
http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-165-september-12-18-2001-w-matt-griffin-phil-schneider/ I'm none the wiser if this was the episode or not. Maybe it was the Pisscast? It was definitely something I found via SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds poo poo. just listen to WOR

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It is both.

lmao that definitely hit me when I realized I was even asking it in the first place.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Thats between the sheets

Oh gently caress, yeah, that is the Between the Sheets 9/11 week episode.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Another pod I've been enjoying lately that I haven't seen plugged here is Butts in the Seats Podcast. It's another "experienced fan takes new fan through retro stuff" one, this one focusing mostly on WCW beginning in 1998, but its a husband and wife team and I like their energy. More positive and fun than osw or something.

I've listened to their older shows (through Stampede 99 or so), it's a decent listen. I enjoy the positivity even if their bits aren't as funny as other podcasts'.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

osw's wcw warrior arc was horrifically boring. do they really need to dedicate an entire episode to thunder where nearly nothing happens and every match they go "eh, they didn't do anything"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Do not even ask posted:

osw's wcw warrior arc was horrifically boring. do they really need to dedicate an entire episode to thunder where nearly nothing happens and every match they go "eh, they didn't do anything"

I think they thought the warrior run would be way more entertainingly bad

They did not watch as much WCW as I did as a kid, otherwise they would have known better

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1549474264562053121

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol so many stupid people are going to cut off that last sentence and try to pass it off as truth anyway because they don't even read before attempting to dunk on dave

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Sounds like the only thing that's dying is cable

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
loving techno-organic virus!

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I used to listen to Lapsed Fan a lot tbh. I keep an earbud in at work all day so a six hour podcast was fine with me, the research can be really extensive and in-depth, and I've died laughing sometimes at their bits. Their WCCW retrospective was really something else but that and the steroid trial were the last things I considered listenable. Between the network ads, Pabst and Bluechew pitches, JP constantly doing unfunny long vocal impressions of themes, JP whining constantly about modern wrestling, JP being gross about women through the shows existence, a listener email segment that is just terrible, etc I realized I was now skipping most of a six loving hour show. I used to even laugh at most of the impressions but now JP starts them with almost no provocation with no point or joke in mind and drags it out for minutes.

Any time I dip back in to see if things got better its a resounding "nope" every time, and their fan base is definitely Corny-adjacent.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

forkboy84 posted:

Same, Lapsed Fan seems like it has some good research in among hours of grating impressions and dude who thinks he is way funnier than he is.

The Von Erich saga is the only part of the Lapsed Fan podcast I'd actually recommend, and that's because there's significantly fewer reasons for them to ever do a Vince impression. Plus, they're talking about a real scumbag who made a show that had a lot of things going on, so there's only a few lovely bits that make you want to skip ahead ten minutes each episode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crapsed Fan is what I’m hearing

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Crapsed Fan is what I’m hearing

More and more people are saying this

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
It's loving terrible but I'm hooked. JP shouldn't be allowed near a mic.

The Bigger Faster film, WBF and SmackDown 9/11 shows were amazing though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's a few days ago now though, but I had a good laugh at:

Bryan: He was standing alone in the dark in the ring for 18 minutes.
Dave: No no, there were videos and commercial breaks.
Bryan: Yes, but HE was standing there alone in the dark in the ring for 18 minutes.
Dave: Well he probably walked around in the ring a bit during that time.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I still believe that one day the boys will be back in town.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

It's a few days ago now though, but I had a good laugh at:

Bryan: He was standing alone in the dark in the ring for 18 minutes.
Dave: No no, there were videos and commercial breaks.
Bryan: Yes, but HE was standing there alone in the dark in the ring for 18 minutes.
Dave: Well he probably walked around in the ring a bit during that time.

Also loved Bryan explaining to Semp that Dave writes down all the G1 results on his legal pad as they happen to get the standings and does the math....

Bryan just goes to Wikipedia

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that’s why Dave is a journalist and Bryan is a commentator

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Grapsody is worth listening to each week as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wazzu posted:

Also loved Bryan explaining to Semp that Dave writes down all the G1 results on his legal pad as they happen to get the standings and does the math....

Bryan just goes to Wikipedia

Bryan: Everybody who has won is on 2 points, and everybody who has lost is on 0 points! :eng101:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Grapsody is worth listening to each week as well.

Grapsody is the one podcast I never fail to catch on time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm not familiar with Grapsody, what's the elevator pitch on it?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not familiar with Grapsody, what's the elevator pitch on it?

Three black wrestling fans recapping the week in wrestling as far as big news and big matches/outcomes that happened on the show. They'll typically spend an hour to an hour and a half bullshitting until they get down to five big topics. One of the hosts, Will Washington, is cousins with Swerve Strickland so it was a particularly eventful episode this past Saturday.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

keithy george posted:

Maybe it was the Pisscast? It was definitely something I found via SA.

I can tell you that the podcast advocating compulsory military service was definitely not mine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Would you rather get drafted to the military or drafted to RAW

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

From what I've heard from military friends and backstage scoops, its 99% sitting in catering either way

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wrestling is dying and AEW is a failure. - Shave Sheltzer 2022

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
No podcast should be six hours long especially one about professional wrestling

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bryan is right about podcasts not needing to be longer than 90 mins ever

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

podcasts are all 6 hours long and bull shingus.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
He's wrong

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wrestling PPVs are six hours now so podcasts are allowed to be. These are the rules.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
You've Got to Be Kidding Me is a really enjoyable retrospective on TNA's history.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 20, 2022

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think 2 hours is the sweet spot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

itch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

its pg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Karmine posted:

I can tell you that the podcast advocating compulsory military service was definitely not mine.

Are you sure? I mean, every episode of the Pisscast DID start with the pledge of allegiance.