Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Is Jr going to NMSU? If so that place is pretty bike friendly. At least it was 18 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cruft posted:

Cruft Jr got accepted to college, so the Bolt is going away.

We're now looking at electric scooters. Any recommendations? We don't need to go over 30mph, and a range of 16 miles is more than enough.

This one looks pretty:

Does Piaggio US import the electric Vespa? From my limited experience it's pretty dece.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

e: kinda disappointed that a traffic engineer is suggesting a college town might be a scary place to ride a bicycle. Not sure if I'm disappointed in you or the country, though.

My own college wasn’t exactly bike friendly when I went, in addition to also being in Ohio where drivers are insane, so my formative years in dealing with college and traffic lead me to a more conservative bias of “if there isn’t a rock solid bycicle infrastructure in place I rather not risk dealing with idiots on the roads”

Like my current bike path isn’t even finished and I’ve already had 2 drivers that drove through it. poo poo’s bad lol.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 19, 2022

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Yeep posted:

Can you get a Citroen Ami?

Why does this car have two rears and no front?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Is Jr going to NMSU? If so that place is pretty bike friendly. At least it was 18 years ago.

Yep! Jr will probably be bicycling most of the time, but having a car is still going to be helpful in New Mexico.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My own college wasn’t exactly bike friendly when I went, in addition to also being in Ohio where drivers are insane, so my formative years in dealing with college and traffic lead me to a more conservative bias of “if there isn’t a rock solid bycicle infrastructure in place I rather not risk dealing with idiots on the roads”

Like my current bike path isn’t even finished and I’ve already had 2 drivers that drove through it. poo poo’s bad lol.

My first college was in Lubbock Texas. Not great for cycling either.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Why does this car have two rears and no front?

if you're not joking, it does actually use the same panel for the front and rear. Also the same door panel for right and left to save cost.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

if you're not joking, it does actually use the same panel for the front and rear. Also the same door panel for right and left to save cost.

Oh my goodness, look at this awesome thing I found researching the Ami:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

Is this an updated bmw isetta, lol

The crumple zone is you

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

Is this an updated bmw isetta, lol

The crumple zone is you

Think about all the insta likes you’ll get though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm sure they're not available, but I just had a chilling thought of what it would be like driving a Twizy in a US city. You could probably fit completely in a Ram's wheel arch.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

My only concern is that Mario would be continuously jumping on my car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You should check out what the parking situation is on campus before deciding to send a scoot/car with him. It might be more convenient and cheaper not to own a car/scoot on campus until jr finds some friends to rent a place with off campus.

I live a mile away from a university and when I attended, it was way faster to go by bicycle because you’re not stuck looking for a parking spot, that’s not even guaranteed with your $700 parking pass. Just ride up to the door and go to class. Scooters will have similar parking restrictions (but probably cheaper parking pass).

Edit: also we have an escoot thread over in cycle asylum too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Matt Farah has the F-150 video out finally. I've been waiting for someone from outside the truck community to have a go since I have a decent idea of what his opinions are on stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW3EZ-0s6L0

E: watched it. Seems like it's a good truck-truck if you like that sort of thing, not great for towing.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 20, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

You should check out what the parking situation is on campus before deciding to send a scoot/car with him. It might be more convenient and cheaper not to own a car/scoot on campus until jr finds some friends to rent a place with off campus.

I live a mile away from a university and when I attended, it was way faster to go by bicycle because you’re not stuck looking for a parking spot, that’s not even guaranteed with your $700 parking pass. Just ride up to the door and go to class. Scooters will have similar parking restrictions (but probably cheaper parking pass).

Edit: also we have an escoot thread over in cycle asylum too

This is solid advice. We will definitely check first, but it's an ag school, there's loads of parking, and I'm not expecting there to be any issues. A lot of the kids drive big ol' trucks and they actually use them to haul stuff.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TFL made it to Alaska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1btKL8kIDo

Not much info in the video since they're planning a weekly series on the full trip and it's logistics.

(Their new two tone paint looks good.)

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Just got an email from Volta saying they are going to start charging for DCFC. The two fast chargers closest to me have already switched to $0.39/kwh.

Edit: fixed price.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 21, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

McPhearson posted:

Just got an email from Volta saying they are going to start charging for DCFC. The two fast chargers closest to me have already switched to $0.39/min.

If you can charge at the full 50kW that’s $0.23 per kWh. Not too bad really.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

If you can charge at the full 50kW that’s $0.23 per kWh. Not too bad really.

I meant to put per kWh not minute. Fixed it. Still better than evgo, electrify america without a membership, and the SDG&E run chargers at the park-and-ride which are $0.67/kWh from 4pm-9pm.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wtf .67 kWh makes it more expensive than gas. That’s ridiculous!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The two years of free EA charging I got is truly an insane deal when you think about it. Granted, I only take advantage of it once a month or so but if I lived somewhere without a charger I’d be saving a huge chunk of change.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

£0.05/KWh between 0030 - 0430.

:smuggo:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

Wtf .67 kWh makes it more expensive than gas. That’s ridiculous!

Hawkperson posted:

yeah someone on Nextdoor (I know, I know) asked how ppl with electric cars' electricity bill changed upon getting one and the very first response was a screenshot of a Facebook post:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Picked up a new Avalon Hybrid yesterday (nightshade edition) and really liking it so far.

Had a deposit down on it a month before it arrived, and the day it got there they already had a waiting list of people that wanted it if we declined. They had almost no new cars on the lot at all. Our friend has a deposit on a RAV4 PHEV and she has to wait 5 months.

Going to this from a Lexus LS and doubling the mileage lol

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I figured that electrical charging would go up in price as EVs became more mainstream. That's the biggest reason I wanted to get a level 2 in my garage with a dedicated meter. 10 cents per kWh for at least the next year or two beats the hell out of paying 2019 gas prices to charge. I'll save my free 1000 kWh for when I travel.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

I figured that electrical charging would go up in price as EVs became more mainstream. That's the biggest reason I wanted to get a level 2 in my garage with a dedicated meter. 10 cents per kWh for at least the next year or two beats the hell out of paying 2019 gas prices to charge. I'll save my free 1000 kWh for when I travel.

That's my guess too. If there's a way to profit from screwing over people without much money, it'll happen. Jacking pricing up at public chargers while EV adoption increases is a great way to do that. Folks who own houses won't feel it much, but people who live in apartments without chargers are going to get nailed.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

That's my guess too. If there's a way to profit from screwing over people without much money, it'll happen. Jacking pricing up at public chargers while EV adoption increases is a great way to do that. Folks who own houses won't feel it much, but people who live in apartments without chargers are going to get nailed.

Oh don’t worry they’ll bump up electricity prices citing EVs as additional workload. I can already see EVs turning into a big political talking point.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

cruft posted:

I feel like there are so many aspects of EV rollout that are designed to sabotage it in favor of ICE vehicles. As a global society, we should be subsidizing EVs, instead of having a fuckton of gateways and punitive fees.

Repurpose gasoline for electricity production and find ways to capture CO2 byproducts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Owning an EV has taught me that the vast majority of people don’t know anything about electricity billing AT ALL.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kirios posted:

Oh don’t worry they’ll bump up electricity prices citing EVs as additional workload. I can already see EVs turning into a big political talking point.

My state has $240 registration fees every year. Same fee for motorcycles too.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Kirios posted:

My local utility is at least making allowances for EVs by pushing off-peak hours charging at a discounted rate. You have to pay a contractor to install the meter, of course, but I'll break even on the cost within a year.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

MrYenko posted:

Owning an EV has taught me that the vast majority of people don’t know anything about electricity billing AT ALL.

I only learned about it from a course on residential wiring i took for my electrical automation and robotics degree.

A kWh and what it really means was never taught in high school as far as I can remember.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kWh as a unit is also very silly when we could instead be dealing with MJ

M E G A J O U L E is way more fun to say anyway

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

kWh as a unit is also very silly when we could instead be dealing with MJ

M E G A J O U L E is way more fun to say anyway

Wait you have an EV too?

We'll have to call truce in here.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
We should use electron volts as the unit, not because it's practical (it's not at all) but because ev batteries would be measured in evs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Wait you have an EV too?

We'll have to call truce in here.
sure do

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wrong drat thread

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Just read all of this. Bad rear end. Anyone else on here tried anything like that?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is at least one more EV conversion thread in AI, a '94 FD

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

$300k :vomit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks better than the Mercedes EQS imo