Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

How many died due to Rona

Get this - three hundred and one
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072411820/law-enforcement-deaths-2021-covid

Guns - 61
Car Crashes - 36
Covid - 301

Also worth noting that the National Law Enforcement Memorial claimed that 458 officers died "in the line of duty" in 2021. But they were counting COVID.

Then the FBI report said "actually it was 129 if you count correctly dumbasses, and 53 of those were their own fault"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

deep dish peat moss posted:

20 were pedestrian cops being hit by civilian drivers
police never look when crossing the street.

Read After Burning posted:

:yeeclaw:
But "MASKS ARE TRAUMATIC", right?
after the sandy hook shooting a friend organized a small charity drive. she got death threats.
these people don't care about "children" they care about their narrative NEVER being questioned.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all these dudes look the same

Ramos looks like Gendron and Sapirman did the fusion dance.

InsertPotPun posted:

police never look when crossing the street.

after the sandy hook shooting a friend organized a small charity drive. she got death threats.
these people don't care about "children" they care about their narrative NEVER being questioned.

That's loving awful...I hope she's recovered mentally a bit from that. I'm assuming "false flag" shouters?

Zil posted:

It would be more greasy Tex-mex in that area of the state. Lots of cheese, beans and lard.

Ah poo poo, now I want to change my lunch plans...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

"Four were killed by karate masters with their hands and feet registered as lethal weapons."

Uh...
I need to know more

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/status/1549135553240748033
This is surprising to absolutely no one, but still. Fuckin' :decorum:

Hey maybe they weren’t wheelchair accessible

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
whats the latest on the shootings

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

No motive yet, but supposedly the mall shooter's family told the cops that he had just received an eviction notice.

CHARGE THAT LANDLORD WITH MURDER. :bahgawd:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

whats the latest on the shootings

They're bad OP

loving zoomers man!

Get this - three hundred and one
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/1072411820/law-enforcement-deaths-2021-covid

Guns - 61
Car Crashes - 36
Covid - 301

Also worth noting that the National Law Enforcement Memorial claimed that 458 officers died "in the line of duty" in 2021. But they were counting COVID.

Then the FBI report said "actually it was 129 if you count correctly dumbasses, and 53 of those were their own fault"
:lmao:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all these dudes look the same

It's because there are literally people orchestrating this with propaganda campaigns targeted at specific demographics

The justice department has been asking someone to make white supremacy illegal while literally telling Congress "help they are infiltrating us and we can't do anything about it unless you make it illegal" since at least as early as 2002/2003 and even back then they were pointing at a book from 2001 called "White Resistance Manual" by a chudbucket nazi named Axl Hess that literally in plain language talked about how "they" (white supremacists) needed targeted propaganda campaigns to incite incidents exactly like this to accelerate a race war

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/security-threat-groups-threat-posed-white-supremacist-organizations

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 19, 2022

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

putin is a oval office posted:

Do people forget that there are two sides to a border? Mexico helping to fund border security is for their own benefit, not the US, and that's A Good Thing. It's not inherently racist to have good border security. Countries all over the world regularly invest in their border security for entirely ordinary, non racist reasons. Different countries have different items that are legal or restricted, or in the case of biosecurity there are items that could pose incredible risk to the receiving country's flora or fauna. I know people here know that, this is just in response to that idiotic Twitter take.

The Twitter take is fine because Biden's admin and Democrat politicians aren't just worrying about "biosecurity" they're keeping in with the GOPs heinously cruel treatment of migrants and draconian policies, and giving money and support to things like Border Security and DHS which have been outed as being huge cesspools of right wing militia sympathizers and Q believers. Being critical of how Dems handle this isn't advocating for "open borders" and "anarchy at the border", you're literally falling for propaganda if that's what you think.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

It's really sad I couldn't connection the shootings of two of these guys.

Because there has been so many so recently.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Strange Poon posted:

The Twitter take is fine because Biden's admin and Democrat politicians aren't just worrying about "biosecurity" they're keeping in with the GOPs heinously cruel treatment of migrants and draconian policies, and giving money and support to things like Border Security and DHS which have been outed as being huge cesspools of right wing militia sympathizers and Q believers. Being critical of how Dems handle this isn't advocating for "open borders" and "anarchy at the border", you're literally falling for propaganda if that's what you think.

To add some personal context to this - I'm in Arizona and right now, every right-wing political ad on TV (with the exception of Kari Lake's because she's "not extreme enough" for them) is sponsored or endorsed or funded by the National Border Patrol Council, a union of border patrol workers. Here's their website: https://bpunion.org/

The National Border Patrol Council is currently under investigation by the FBI for embezzling $500,000,000 given to them by Trump.

Nearly every one of these ads features a personal appearance by the NBPC's president, Brandon Judd, who is an open neo-nazi who supports Replacement Theory:
https://americasvoice.org/press_rel...acement-theory/

Every ad uses the same verbiage, talking about how republicans are "warriors" and "fighters" and indicating that they need to be ready for a big upcoming fight. And they're plastered all over every channel probably 3-4 times an hour. It's literally like living in a dystopian nightmare here right now.

Most people on the left I know do not have cable/rely on Streaming services and would never see these ads if not alerted to them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 19, 2022

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

To add some personal context to this - I'm in Arizona and right now, every right-wing political ad on TV (with the exception of Kari Lake's because she's "not extreme enough" for them) is sponsored or endorsed or funded by the National Border Patrol Council, a union of border patrol workers. Here's their website: https://bpunion.org/

The National Border Patrol Council is currently under investigation by the FBI for embezzling $500,000,000 given to them by Trump.

Nearly every one of these ads features a personal appearance by the NBPC's president, Brandon Judd, who is an open neo-nazi who supports Replacement Theory:
https://americasvoice.org/press_rel...acement-theory/

The real question is:
It's bad (real bad), but how bad is that compared to the average police department?

E: okay the added bit about the targeted advertisement on airwave/cable TV is a nice touch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

The real question is:
It's bad (real bad), but how bad is that compared to the average police department?

It's an average police department except designed from the ground-up to be explicitly racist without even attempting to hide it, and they've been highly militarized because of fearmongering about cartels and the war on drugs.

e:
https://www.southernborder.org/border_lens_border_militarization

In the last few years they've:

Rolled out Eminent Domain across lots of Texas
Illegally diverted billions of dollars of the Pentagon's budget into militarizing themselves
Killed and/or "disappeared" a significantly higher number of Mexicans than in previous years
Disbanded or tore apart several environmental laws
Only respond to search & rescue requests 40% of the time
Stopped bothering to apprehend people crossing the border while significantly increasing staffing (their goal is to make it so hard to cross that people die to heat exposure/dehydration while trying)

Contrary to the name "Border Patrol" they never actually patrol the border, leading to the vast majority of remains they find being in skeletal states before they are found.

And one of their major unions which is incredibly involved in Arizona politics is lead by a man who openly says that the Democrats are waging a race war on whites and advocates that the answer to this is violence against and removal of non-whites.

Also trump prioritized using illegally appropriated funds for the border wall, leaving the legal funds for use later on after everyone realized his crimes. When Biden proposed his budget it was requested that the border patrol pay back the illegally appropriated funds. They refused, and republicans in both the house and senate refused to vote on the budget until those requests were removed.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2022

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FBI released their reports 2021 statistics on Law Enforcement Officers killed in the line of duty back in may, I just saw it:
https://www.fbi.gov/news/press-releases/press-releases/fbi-releases-2021-statistics-on-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

Key takeways:
73 were killed in the line of duty.
Of those 73, one was responding to an active shooter
Of those 73, 25 were not actively involved in any policing at the time
Of those 73, 61 were killed by firearms. Four were killed by karate masters with their hands and feet registered as lethal weapons.
Of those 73, 43 were in the South.

Separate from those 73, 56 died accidental deaths in the line of duty.
Of those 56, 32 were car crashes, two were ATV crashes, 20 were pedestrian cops being hit by civilian drivers, and 4 were drownings.
Of the 32 deaths from car cashes, only 7 were known to have been wearing their seatbelt.
Of the 56 accidental deaths, 26 were in the South.

So basically the entire police scare about them being targets and under attack was the result of a bunch of Barney Fifes in America's armpit not wearing their seatbelt or provoking people into shooting them.

I'm sorry four were killed by karate masters with their hands and feet registered as lethal weapons. What now, they died how.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's an average police department except designed from the ground-up to be explicitly racist without even attempting to hide it, and they've been highly militarized because of fearmongering about cartels and the war on drugs.

I still hear the same style of ads about immigrants and cartels and such 800+ miles away. It's terrible. I think the fact that it's effective on Midwest mushbrains is darkly impressive.

But at least we don't have border patrol too!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hollismason posted:

I'm sorry four were killed by karate masters with their hands and feet registered as lethal weapons. What now, they died how.

They were struck with a registered deadly weapon.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

"Weapons. Offenders used firearms to kill 61 of the 73 victim officers. Six officers were killed with vehicles used as weapons. Four officers were killed by the offender’s use of personal weapons (hand, fists, feet, etc.)."

(It was a joke though I don't know if they were actually registered as lethal weapons which is apparently a real thing)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 19, 2022

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

That's loving awful...I hope she's recovered mentally a bit from that. I'm assuming "false flag" shouters?
she's not done anything like it since :( it really sucks. and yeah, a bunch of "you're spreading lies!!" from bullshit people. wasn't even a big deal, she just reached out to local businesses for school supplies. i doubt you can even find anything about it online.

The Bananana posted:

"Four were killed by karate masters with their hands and feet registered as lethal weapons."

Uh...
I need to know more
they were black and unarmed IE: "armed with the sidewalk"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/4ZPKLMT.mp4

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

uh... ok

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Looks homemade tbh. I doubt a company actually made that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

pro starcraft loser posted:

61 getting got by guns still sounds pretty high.

EDIT - Actually that's probably lower than the number of civilians killed in mass shootings per year at this point...

That counts suicides

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1549415473737076738?s=21&t=DeSUxt41sdmUBBCX5kdfoA

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Tv ads kind of explain a lot.

Do people under 40 typically have cable or watch TV these days? I don't know anyone... Granted that's a smallish pool of only like 20 ppl.

I've only seen TV at houses that watch Fox news and they're all 55+ and it's on nearly constantly if only in the background.

Even my mom got rid of cable because it was trash. She just spends extra on YouTube tv to watch sports, mostly local college teams and things like tennis. Fraction of the price of cable.

I watched a couple games with her and I don't recall any crazy ads.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have cable because it's nice to have something on in the background that makes me feel less lonely. :smith:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have cable because it's nice to have something on in the background that makes me feel less lonely. :smith:

Lol, same... or maybe it's just nostalgic, since it's how I was raised? With cable always on in the background

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah and I don't watch series or anything so I like to not have to decide completely on what I watch. If a movie comes on that I like I'll put it on. Unless it's a lovely version that I have the actual movie of. Then I'll turn that on. But the TV decided for me!

I don't watch it actively very often but I get the gist of stuff sometimes.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pennywise im not targeting that at you lol. I love your posting 💗

Some people do end up in an echo chamber that just tells them there terrible opinions are actually good. They typically want to be there it seems like after a bit. Cable just happens to be a good source of easy reinforcement if people are on the edge of losing all empathy.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I finally remembered where I'd seen Crimo before.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

The real question is:

I spent some time reading today to provide a proper and more thorough answer to this so here you go:

The US-Mexico border is roughly 2,000 miles long. The US Border Patrol currently employes 20,000 border patrol agents (with ~21,000 mandated by Congress) - of those twenty thousand, 17,000 are stationed along the southern border. There are approximately 8.5 Border Patrol agents stationed on the US-Mexico border for every mile of border territory.

During the Trump administration, approximately 52 miles of new Border Wall were constructed. The administration also tore down and re-built approximately 373 miles of wall that existed prior to the Trump administration. This was done using approximately 10 billion dollars which were illegally pilfered from the Department of Defense, Trump prioritized using the illegally-transferred money first, so that the legal money would remain in the border patrol's pockets after evidence of Trump's crimes came to light. When Biden took office, he asked the Border Patrol to return the illegally pilfered money and they refused, claiming that they only have the legal money left. Republicans in both the house and the senate refused to sign off on Biden's budget plan until he removed the request for the Border Patrol to return the 10 billion dollars they stole from the Pentagon.
Due to rampant corruption and embezzlement, Trump's border wall has cost the US taxpayer approximately 24.4 million dollars per mile of wall. This is a total of approximately 8.466 billion dollars which have been spent to add a total of 52 miles of wall to the border, and tear down and re-build an existing 300+ miles.

The Real ID Act which was adopted by Congress in 2005 gives the DHS the authority to waive local, state, and federal laws and regulations to expedite the construction of barriers and roads. Between 2005 and 2016, 5 such waivers were given. During the Trump administration, 26 such waivers were given. On average, the waivers given by Trump waive a much broader category of laws - over 60 environmental laws have been waived and violated across the South in order to build the border wall. These include the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Water act, the National Historic Preservation Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty, the Clean Air act, the Archeological Resources Protection Act, and the Safe Drinking Water act, among others.

As the size of the Border Patrol and their funding have grown, the number of apprehensions and arrests they make has sharply declined - in 2000 Border Patrol agents apprehended 1.6 million individuals attempting to cross the border illegally. In 2020, the border patrol apprehended 400,000 individuals.

With over 17,000 agents on the southern border, the mean average number of encounters with another human being (outside of the agency) per month for a border patrol agent is seven. Those 17,000 people stationed across the Southern border interact with on average seven different border-crossers a month each. If we assume the average person works 20 days per month, this means that every Border Patrol agent is paid for a bare minimum of 13 days per month where they do not have a job to do, using money illegally appropriated from the Pentagon's defense budget.

According to US Customs & Border Protection, Border Patrol agents experienced 151,358 encounters with border crossers in the month of February 2021. However, they do lots of statistical manipulation to make this number appear far higher than it actually is - that 151,358 includes individuals/groups crossing multiple times within the month, they often double or triple count individuals. Many of those 150k are individuals deported under Title 42 who were caught re-crossing (and counted as an encounter) several times that month.

All of this while verifiable, peer-reviewed research ( https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/d...GOn8ooH0eUPXlQ& ) shows that increasing the number of border patrol agents and increasing border patrol funding serves only to cause more migrant deaths without any measurable reduction in the number of people successfully crossing or attempting to cross - the entire agency fulfills no purpose beyond making would-be border crossers die agonizing deaths to heat exposure and dehydration.

They have a 24/7 missing migrant crisis line that someone can call if they suspect someone has gone missing while attempting to cross the border. Border Patrol only responds to these calls in fewer than 40% of cases. ( http://www.thedisappearedreport.org/uploads/8/3/5/1/83515082/left_to_die_-_english.pdf )

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 20, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wendigee posted:

Pennywise im not targeting that at you lol. I love your posting 💗

Oh poo poo, I didn't want to make it come off like that. I was just making a random dumb statement lol. Sorry!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
"What would Jesus do?"

He'd run for loving cover is what he'd do!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I feel like Jesus could simply spin around and deflect the bullets using the cross?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'd really like to write a novel about Jesus being reborn in the modern day and both he and god are super psyched to learn that there's an entire religion based around them so they choose the USA for him to be born in. But he's brown and liberal and socialist so they throw him in an internment camp and declare him a blasphemer when he tells them he's jesus, even though his name is literally Jesus Christ and everything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'd really like to write a novel about Jesus being reborn in the modern day

Not related but you reminded me of this so I have to post it at any opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ah poo poo, now I want to change my lunch plans...

Why does Robert Crimo look like the "Have you seen this man in your dreams." guy?

I'd really like to write a novel about Jesus being reborn in the modern day and both he and god are super psyched to learn that there's an entire religion based around them so they choose the USA for him to be born in. But he's brown and liberal and socialist so they throw him in an internment camp and declare him a blasphemer when he tells them he's jesus, even though his name is literally Jesus Christ and everything.

There's a comic book by Garth Ennis where Jesus had come back but he's got a mental issues because he's a black guy that ended up with brain damage from being severely beaten by a cop at a protest.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojNXuUs5mUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I spent some time reading today to provide a proper and more thorough answer to this so here you go:

The US-Mexico border is roughly 2,000 miles long. The US Border Patrol currently employes 20,000 border patrol agents (with ~21,000 mandated by Congress) - of those twenty thousand, 17,000 are stationed along the southern border. There are approximately 8.5 Border Patrol agents stationed on the US-Mexico border for every mile of border territory.

During the Trump administration, approximately 52 miles of new Border Wall were constructed. The administration also tore down and re-built approximately 373 miles of wall that existed prior to the Trump administration. This was done using approximately 10 billion dollars which were illegally pilfered from the Department of Defense, Trump prioritized using the illegally-transferred money first, so that the legal money would remain in the border patrol's pockets after evidence of Trump's crimes came to light. When Biden took office, he asked the Border Patrol to return the illegally pilfered money and they refused, claiming that they only have the legal money left. Republicans in both the house and the senate refused to sign off on Biden's budget plan until he removed the request for the Border Patrol to return the 10 billion dollars they stole from the Pentagon.
Due to rampant corruption and embezzlement, Trump's border wall has cost the US taxpayer approximately 24.4 million dollars per mile of wall. This is a total of approximately 8.466 billion dollars which have been spent to add a total of 52 miles of wall to the border, and tear down and re-build an existing 300+ miles.

The Real ID Act which was adopted by Congress in 2005 gives the DHS the authority to waive local, state, and federal laws and regulations to expedite the construction of barriers and roads. Between 2005 and 2016, 5 such waivers were given. During the Trump administration, 26 such waivers were given. On average, the waivers given by Trump waive a much broader category of laws - over 60 environmental laws have been waived and violated across the South in order to build the border wall. These include the National Environmental Policy Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Water act, the National Historic Preservation Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty, the Clean Air act, the Archeological Resources Protection Act, and the Safe Drinking Water act, among others.

As the size of the Border Patrol and their funding have grown, the number of apprehensions and arrests they make has sharply declined - in 2000 Border Patrol agents apprehended 1.6 million individuals attempting to cross the border illegally. In 2020, the border patrol apprehended 400,000 individuals.

With over 17,000 agents on the southern border, the mean average number of encounters with another human being (outside of the agency) per month for a border patrol agent is seven. Those 17,000 people stationed across the Southern border interact with on average seven different border-crossers a month each. If we assume the average person works 20 days per month, this means that every Border Patrol agent is paid for a bare minimum of 13 days per month where they do not have a job to do, using money illegally appropriated from the Pentagon's defense budget.

According to US Customs & Border Protection, Border Patrol agents experienced 151,358 encounters with border crossers in the month of February 2021. However, they do lots of statistical manipulation to make this number appear far higher than it actually is - that 151,358 includes individuals/groups crossing multiple times within the month, they often double or triple count individuals. Many of those 150k are individuals deported under Title 42 who were caught re-crossing (and counted as an encounter) several times that month.

All of this while verifiable, peer-reviewed research ( https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/d...GOn8ooH0eUPXlQ& ) shows that increasing the number of border patrol agents and increasing border patrol funding serves only to cause more migrant deaths without any measurable reduction in the number of people successfully crossing or attempting to cross - the entire agency fulfills no purpose beyond making would-be border crossers die agonizing deaths to heat exposure and dehydration.

They have a 24/7 missing migrant crisis line that someone can call if they suspect someone has gone missing while attempting to cross the border. Border Patrol only responds to these calls in fewer than 40% of cases. ( http://www.thedisappearedreport.org/uploads/8/3/5/1/83515082/left_to_die_-_english.pdf )

I like the bit about being paid for doing nothing (very cop-like), and it's interesting to see that cops are clearly using the border patrol as a blueprint for how to seize more authority.

Thanks for this!