Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

New York City released a PSA about what to do if the city is nuked lmao. My favorite part is "you've got this". My friends, if you are in NYC when a nuke lands, you absolutely do not "got this".
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1547067687171661824?s=20&t=kkJinJqKedZBoz6p7_tE0w

As an alternative to watching the PSA, I recommend citizens just watch the movie "Threads" instead. Much more instructive.

lmao step 3

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Shades posted:

New York, Max. That's the place to make it now. You're talking nine thousand tons of steel. Four thousand tons of aluminium. I mean, five to six million miles of copper wire. Kitchen appliances. Typewriters. Audio gear. Tons of auto parts. Works of art, hanging in the galleries. Just hanging there, waiting to be plucked. I mean, clothing. Toupees. Bridgework. False teeth. Prosthetic limbs. You name it. New York has got it all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Make fun of him all you want but the city was never nuked, not even once, when Giuliani was in office.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mantis42 posted:

Make fun of him all you want but the city was never nuked, not even once, when Giuliani was in office.

I think I would have irrevocably snapped if Andrew Giuliani had won the nomination and then the governor's seat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

The linked article says the Navy was told the pipes were steel instead of PVC, which breaks down from contact with jet fuel, and the contractor apparently substituted it to cut costs.

One would think defrauding the government and effectively sabotaging the military would have consequences, but I guess as long as the checks clear everything is fine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

One would think defrauding the government and effectively sabotaging the military would have consequences, but I guess as long as the checks clear everything is fine.

Sure the consequence is you have to hire a bunch of Navy dudes for $$$$, the revolving door doesn’t come cheap

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure the consequence is you have to hire a bunch of Navy dudes for $$$$, the revolving door doesn’t come cheap

I’d think there will be a claim and then maybe subrogation.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mango Press 🥭🗝 posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
An amphibious mechanized brigade of the People's Liberation Army simulating a coast invasion of a mock enemy. 👀

🇨🇳 #China

🥭 @mangopress
(from t.me/mangopress/8300, via tgsa)

ngl i would be suffering from anxiety if i was in one of those swimming tanks and had to deal with some of those waves

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

(from t.me/mangopress/8300, via tgsa)

ngl i would be suffering from anxiety if i was in one of those swimming tanks and had to deal with some of those waves

A bunch of them swamped in Normandy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they might as well be targets for emplaced atgms.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

e: wrong war thread

tazjin has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Jul 16, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is it currently technologically possible to build a fission bomb that would only blow up say a duplex

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

indigi posted:

is it currently technologically possible to build a fission bomb that would only blow up say a duplex

no that's a job for conventional explosives

i mean, unless it was a really big duplex

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

no that's a job for conventional explosives

i mean, unless it was a really big duplex

I know you’d use conventional explosives, fortunately that wasn’t my question. I’m asking if it’s technologically possible

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

indigi posted:

I know you’d use conventional explosives, fortunately that wasn’t my question. I’m asking if it’s technologically possible

i'm saying it's not, even with the smallest fission bomb there'd be too much explosion

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

indigi posted:

yes actually. there are suitcase nukes whose yield is only in the hundreds of tons of tnt

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

fissionable materials have a critical mass; that is, there is a theoretical minimum mass of material that needs to be present to make it go from sitting there menacingly to exploding, even if it is 100% purity in a perfect sphere

for pu-239 (the material used in the W54 warhead on the davy crockett recoilless rifle and the us military 'atomic demolition charge' project) that's 10 kg.

so no matter how you design it, it is going to involve a runaway fission reaction of 10 kg of material

i'm not a nuclear physicist and can't do the math myself, but from my lay perspective the minimum possible explosion looks to be at leastwo oklahoma city bombings; somewhere in the 10s of tons of TNT order of magnitude

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

yes actually. there are suitcase nukes whose yield is only in the hundreds of tons of tnt

that'd probably wake the neighbors

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
other, more implausible, fission sources exist but even the most impossible-to-ever-make-a-critical-mass-at-100%-purity isotope of californium that has had the figures declassified is only 1/4 the critical mass, not the multiple orders of magnitude difference that would be necessary

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
cataclysm grenades took down whole skyscrapers and i don't think you'll get smaller than that

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Stairmaster posted:

that's gonna blow up more than one duplex

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
you know the critical mass is dependent on local density, as in you take the fissionable material, and compress it enough to cause a runaway fission reaction. the mass of the bomb is variable, you can use less fission material if you put more explosive lenses on it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

you know the critical mass is dependent on local density, as in you take the fissionable material, and compress it enough to cause a runaway fission reaction. the mass of the bomb is variable, you can use less fission material if you put more explosive lenses on it.

so you use more/bigger explosive lenses you can make a smaller fission warhead, I don't know how to optimize that but I think maybe if you're going whole hog on conventional explosives like that you'll get to the point where the conventional explosives alone will damage more than a duplex before you even factor your micronuke detonation in

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

atelier morgan posted:

fissionable materials have a critical mass; that is, there is a theoretical minimum mass of material that needs to be present to make it go from sitting there menacingly to exploding, even if it is 100% purity in a perfect sphere

for pu-239 (the material used in the W54 warhead on the davy crockett recoilless rifle and the us military 'atomic demolition charge' project) that's 10 kg.

so no matter how you design it, it is going to involve a runaway fission reaction of 10 kg of material

i'm not a nuclear physicist and can't do the math myself, but from my lay perspective the minimum possible explosion looks to be at leastwo oklahoma city bombings; somewhere in the 10s of tons of TNT order of magnitude

The W54 is supposedly configurable as low as 10 tons. And the British version contained a lot less than 10kg of material, probably through fancy design:

quote:

It has been alleged that the British "Wee Gwen" warhead was a copy of the W54.[4] Though never put into production, Wee Gwen was to contain 1.6 kilograms (3.5 lb) of plutonium and 2.42 kilograms (5.3 lb) uranium.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
probably you can get some kind of mass savings that way?

but literally everything about the assemblies used in nuclear devices is extremely classified so :iiam:

you probably can't get multiple orders of magnitude out of it, like you would need to in order to scale it down far enough for this hypothetical.

Trabisnikof posted:

The W54 is supposedly configurable as low as 10 tons. And the British version contained a lot less than 10kg of material, probably through fancy design:

that figure is why i said two oklahoma city bombings earlier, that was roughly 5 tons of tnt-equivalent

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Jul 19, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Filthy Hans posted:

so you use more/bigger explosive lenses you can make a smaller fission warhead, I don't know how to optimize that but I think maybe if you're going whole hog on conventional explosives like that you'll get to the point where the conventional explosives alone will damage more than a duplex before you even factor your micronuke detonation in

the smaller the nuke, the bigger the lenses in relation have to be! but no, you will not reach such a point, for the same reason as an explosively formed penetrator is only damaging in the direction of the explosion

you will hit a point of diminishing returns, but since nobody has really tried to minituarize nukes in the most efficient manner possible, we don't really know where that is!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

it's only a matter of time before neutron bomb technology gets to the point where landlords get the ok to use them as a more efficient alternative to the standard eviction process

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

it's only a matter of time before neutron bomb technology gets to the point where landlords get the ok to use them as a more efficient alternative to the standard eviction process

A classic idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zhNb8ANe8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

this sounds about right

Morbus
May 18, 2004

atelier morgan posted:

You can design a nuclear weapon with considerably less than 10 kg of Pu-239. The 10kg figure is a very basic estimate:

1.) It is the "bare sphere" critical mass, meaning there is no neutron reflector around the fissile material: any neutrons which escape the assembly are lost. A neutron reflector can reduce the critical mass to less than half that of the bare sphere critical mass.

2.) It assumes density at standard atmospheric pressure. The entire point of an implosion assembly is to convert a subcritical mass into a critical one by virtue of compression. The critical mass (or any reactivity parameter) scales approximately as 1/C^2, where C is the density ratio (although, for reflected systems the scaling exponent is a bit lower than 2, since the reflector material is generally not compressed to the same ratio as the core). Practical compression systems, where the mass of high explosive is kept to within an order of magnitude or two of the fissile mass, can achieve density ratios of around 1.5-2.0 . The absolute limit for shock compression by high explosive is probably around ~2.

So the amount of Pu-239 needed to make a bomb go bang is substantially less than 10 kg. It is relatively easy to design weapons with 4-5 kg (an often published figure for many American fission triggers). It should be quite possible to design a weapon with even 2 kg, if the implosion system is good and a suitable reflector is used. The absolute minimum amount of plutonium needed to make a bomb is probably between 1-2 kg.

Tritium boosting would ensure that the efficiency of even such a small weapon could still be good. Such a minimum size fission stage may not be optimal for efficiently driving the 2nd stage of a thermonuclear weapon. The size of the required high explosive drivers and reflector may also increase total weight over a system using modestly more fissile mass. That may be why actual weapons seem to use larger than the minimum required fissile mass.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Filthy Hans posted:

working on this atm

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Morbus posted:

Tritium boosting would ensure that the efficiency of even such a small weapon could still be good. Such a minimum size fission stage may not be optimal for efficiently driving the 2nd stage of a thermonuclear weapon. The size of the required high explosive drivers and reflector may also increase total weight over a system using modestly more fissile mass. That may be why actual weapons seem to use larger than the minimum required fissile mass.

tritium boosting, as in a fusion second stage? dont those take up a huge amount of space tho?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

A bunch of them swamped in Normandy.

Wasn't that cause the Sherman DD had that big canvas skirt up around it so it would just catch and fill with sea water?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Also if I were in charge of Iran's nuclear weapons program, I would:

1.) Clandestinely develop a robust, tritium boosted implosion system designed for ~1.5-3.0 kg of reactor grade plutonium. "Weapons grade" plutonium isn't needed and doesn't significantly change the critical mass requirements, it's just that reactor grade plutonium has some heat dissipation, radiation, and background neutron issues. These are all irrelevant in a small, boosted weapon, though. This system could be tested without any fissile material to the point of being assured of its reliability. The needed amounts of reactor grade plutonium for several bombs could be recovered by small-scale and difficult to detect chemical reprocessing of small amount of reactor fuel over the course of a decade or so.

2.) Use the above in a conservatively designed 2-stage pseudo Teller-Ulam (really just "Ulam") design where on the order of 10 kg of moderately enriched uranium are compressed by the trigger in #1, possibly with tritium boosting in the secondary as well. The compression achieved by even a lovely radiation implosion device would be more than enough to fission the enriched (but not weapons grade) uranium, and such a two step weapon would be much easier to design than an actual thermonuclear bomb while easily achieving yields in the 20-100 kT range. All the major difficulties of a thermonuclear design (reaching the required pressures in the fussion fuel without excessive pre-heating, achieving ignition in the compressed secondary, optimal size and composition of the high-Z radiation tamper...) are eliminated and even the dumbest, ultra-conservative design will easily achieve sufficient compression to fission the enriched uranium.

The above would be a very effective demonstrator weapon, could be practically deliverable, and could make use of small amounts of clandestinely produced reactor grade Pu and large amounts of enriched but not weapons grade uranium. It would also be a convenient test platform and starting point for a thermonuclear weapon.

Anyway that's my ted talk

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
tritium boosting etc would make the boom more efficient not less, though

useful if you're iran's nuclear program

not so for trying to make a nuclear weapon with the yield of like, 1 kg of dynamite as was posited

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lollontee posted:

tritium boosting, as in a fusion second stage? dont those take up a huge amount of space tho?

No you just put like 2 grams of tritium-deuterium gas right inside the fission core. As soon as your fission assembly begins to go critical (even at the poo poo-tier fizzle stage), it generates more than enough heat to cause a decent number of fusion reactions in the boost gas. This produces a large number of energetic neutrons, which "help along" the fission reactor much faster than would occur if it were limited to the neutrons produced only by its own fission. As the fissioning continues, more heat, more fusion, more neutrons, and so on. So a small amount of tritium (deuterium doesn't count since its so cheap) greatly increases the efficiency of the fission bomb, and also simplifies its design in many ways

Morbus
May 18, 2004

atelier morgan posted:

tritium boosting etc would make the boom more efficient not less, though

useful if you're iran's nuclear program

not so for trying to make a nuclear weapon with the yield of like, 1 kg of dynamite as was posited

oh whoops i thought we were just talking about minimizing fissile material not minimizing yield.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Morbus posted:

No you just put like 2 grams of tritium-deuterium gas right inside the fission core. As soon as your fission assembly begins to go critical (even at the poo poo-tier fizzle stage), it generates more than enough heat to cause a decent number of fusion reactions in the boost gas. This produces a large number of energetic neutrons, which "help along" the fission reactor much faster than would occur if it were limited to the neutrons produced only by its own fission. As the fissioning continues, more heat, more fusion, more neutrons, and so on. So a small amount of tritium (deuterium doesn't count since its so cheap) greatly increases the efficiency of the fission bomb, and also simplifies its design in many ways

just by virtue of adding lots of neutrons to the mix??? huh, alright, 1-proton, two-neutron, make interesting. how do you make that stable chemically tho? just react the fissile metal with tritium?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lollontee posted:

just by virtue of adding lots of neutrons to the mix??? huh, alright, 1-proton, two-neutron, make interesting. how do you make that stable chemically tho? just react the fissile metal with tritium?

I think the usual practice is to have a cavity in the core (making the fissile material a shell rather than a sphere is beneficial for compression anyway) and to inject tritium from a reservoir during arming, since otherwise hydrogen gas diffuses into and out of everything. You could use tritiated + deuterated lithium too, but tritium has a short enough half life that it needs to be periodically replaced anyway, and that's much easier if it's in an external reservoir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Morbus posted:

I think the usual practice is to have a cavity in the core (making the fissile material a shell rather than a sphere is beneficial for compression anyway) and to inject tritium from a reservoir during arming, since otherwise hydrogen gas diffuses into and out of everything. You could use tritiated + deuterated lithium too, but tritium has a short enough half life that it needs to be periodically replaced anyway, and that's much easier if it's in an external reservoir.

hmm...... :D