Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

egg tats posted:

Homestuck Made this World is possibly the worst podcast of all time, because this time last year I didn't barely know what a Homes Tuck was and thanks to them I now have nuanced thoughts AND feelings regarding one Vriska Serket.

(which I'm not going to share here because I'm choosing peace on this holy day).

thus showing yourself to be a coward and a varlet that will be denied entrance to heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kazy posted:

That is absolutely going to get DMCA'd. They took down my 3D printed crab communicator on Etsy, no way they don't take this down.
Based on "Perfectly Generic Team", I'm assuming this is headed by the "Perfectly Generic Podcast" people. The host of the Perfectly Generic Podcast, Kate Mitchell, is also the former director of Homestuck^2, and there are a lot of other Hussie-connected people as guests, notably Aysha U. Farah (Epilogues, Friendsim, Hiveswap, and Pesterquest) and James Roach (musician both on HS proper and on the tie-in games.) Which is to say, I will guarantee you that Hussie both knows and has chosen not to disapprove.

Sorry about your communicator; it sounds cool. Right now, "The Genesis Project" is free. I don't know if Hussie ever drew a line between "you can do this for fun" and "you can sell products based on my IP", but a lot of creators do.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The first chapter of Friendsim 2, a fanmade sequel to Friendsim and Pesterquest, also dropped yesterday for free. From what I've heard the plot for this chapter is just "the Phoenix Wright parody from Hiveswap: Act 2. but actually good this time", which is certainly a move.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844720/Friendsim_2/

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Genesis Project is also on their webpage, in the ancient non-itch, non-github style*, if you don't want to use Steam
https://www.sburb.me/download/

*its links to google drives tho

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Based on "Perfectly Generic Team", I'm assuming this is headed by the "Perfectly Generic Podcast" people.

my understanding is that this is not true at all. couldn't find individual credits on their website but did see multiple "wait can they call their team that" floating around :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Death Bot posted:

my understanding is that this is not true at all. couldn't find individual credits on their website but did see multiple "wait can they call their team that" floating around :shrug:

Huh. Weird.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Entering Homestuck’s shady Bootleg Era.

Dubious Fantrolls, iffy fanfics, and just way too many shoddy Johns to count.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

egg tats posted:

in my mind the big June moment (as in, the point where, if they ever claimed it was in the original comic, Andrew started intentionally writing june as an egg) is one of the ship birthdays, where they're finally sitting down to show Jade con air, and just has this breakdown over how it suddenly seems like the stupidest thing in the world. like this has been their internal model of How To Be A Man and suddenly they can only see it as this silly movie with some bad acting and they can't enjoy any part of it. it feels like the start of a proper Gender Crisis, to me

I hope in a non meat or candy timeline where literally any of these 16 year old kids get their hands on a gat danged therapist june gets to sit down and watch it with jade again.

There's a pretty big fic out there called Godfeels that takes this concept and loving runs with it. It deals with some heavy themes, but oh man does it go some loving PLACES. Highly recommend if you're looking for June stories that aren't on perma hiatus like official content is.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fender Anarchist posted:

There's a pretty big fic out there called Godfeels that takes this concept and loving runs with it. It deals with some heavy themes, but oh man does it go some loving PLACES. Highly recommend if you're looking for June stories that aren't on perma hiatus like official content is.

godfeels is fantastic, yeah! I've been following Sarah Zedig and her gf for years so I actually read it before the meat and candy epilogues. part 3 part 2 should be starting fairly soon

I'm listening to the first episode of the radio drama that just came out (podfeels in whatever podcast app) and being reminded that hey godfeels 1 might not have all of the space opera or big fights but it's still incredibly loving good

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
thirded. It's Good

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Entering Homestuck’s shady Bootleg Era.

Dubious Fantrolls, iffy fanfics, and just way too many shoddy Johns to count.

psst, hey kid

wanna buy a coffee shop au?

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Something was announced on the Big Day: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1610900/The_Genesis_Project/

This is what the kickstarter should have been for, tbh

This game is pretty simple, buggy, unfinished, and already 10x more fun than any of the official games.
It's pretty impressive how much is in there already - they've got houses, server/client connections, sprites/prototyping, strife decks, grist, alchemisation, guardians, exiles, smuppets, entering the medium, player lands, building to gates, dungeons, consorts, classpect powers,... really just needs stability and more mid/endgame content.

There is a simple pleasure in constructing a pogo hammer and bopping imps.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In multiplayer, after you get both parties into the game, what do you do after that?

You can't seem to progress

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Did you get to your lands? Once you've entered the medium the next steps are to build each other up to your first gate (sometimes seeing the gates can be a bit difficult as it only lets you scroll up one 'layer' higher than you've currently built, but it should be around the middle of the map), use the gates to visit your lands, do some dungeons to get grist/loot, see if you can find a consort shops selling something good, find/buy/alchemise some decent equipment, use a return portal to return home, build up higher, use the other gates to visit different areas of your land/other players lands, do more dungeons, and then at the moment the last thing to do is: find the Lich Queen's dungeon and defeat her to get her grist hoard. There's a good chance you'll hit a game-ending bug before then, but it's achievable.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A link to Bad Monday Simulator

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/845834

Besides being an instant Newgrounds classic, the musician's soundcloud submissions are all great Megalovania mashups like the one from the game

https://soundcloud.com/polarialmusic

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

lmao

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I don't imagine anyone still here and subscribed to this thread cares anymore, but apparently Hiveswap: Act 3 was announced yesterday as being actively in development by whoever's left at WhatPumpkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMMjyUFFmg

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

I don't imagine anyone still here and subscribed to this thread cares anymore, but apparently Hiveswap: Act 3 was announced yesterday as being actively in development by whoever's left at WhatPumpkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMMjyUFFmg
This presentation is so amateurish I thought it was initially supposed to be intentional as an in-universe thing.

I don’t even know how official this is, as that isn’t the Homestuck YT channel, nor is it WP’s. And their twitter accounts are still basically dead, so I have no idea if this isn’t even a real thing.

Not that I blame the streamers, but more that WP and Hussie should have actual marketing people and PR for this type of poo poo if they wanted Homestuck to be an enduring IP. Unless Hussie sold WP or something?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
https://twitter.com/hamesatron/status/1549155402578726912

Well according to james roach its real, so we'll probably get the actual media push when theres more to show?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Weird, but good on them for sticking with this trainwreck when it would have been easy at this point to just bail on the whole mess.

Not exactly expecting Hauntswitch to happen, but at least they’ll finish one game.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Did Friendsim make WP a lot of profit? I can't imagine either Hiveswap game selling enough copies to non-backers (after the Kickstarter money was squandered) to finance any further episodes.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A good poster posted:

Did Friendsim make WP a lot of profit? I can't imagine either Hiveswap game selling enough copies to non-backers (after the Kickstarter money was squandered) to finance any further episodes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's Dante Basco I feel sorry for

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

well, I read psycholonials, and now I wish I hadn't. what a disappointingly shallow work! the deployment of race would be almost offensive if the work had any substance to it.

hmm i gave myself 30 more seconds and worked my way around to the big-brain almost certainly wrong conclusion: like homestuck, the ending is intentionally dissonant. just as homestuck ended on a weirdly happy note with a mostly-unearned "wow we did a character development" convo between a kid and his alternate timeline manipulative and neglectful caretaker (who didn't really get much less manipulative or neglectful over the course of the work), along with the knowledge that we're looking at an ostensible happy ending that we know as the reader must be necessarily limited by More Time Bullshit, psycholonials ends with the deeply unsatisfying conclusion that being rich enough to kiss on a beach forever is the correct answer to colonialism and more broadly the problem of evil, and acts like coming to this conclusion is a triumphant assertion of self rather than the first and immediate reaction of nearly anyone with gently caress you money to the slightest bit of personal difficulty.

but as the homestuck epilogues showed, Hussie was aware of the fault lines that remained in Homestuck's ending, and teasing them out became an important part of reaching the work's conclusion. similarly, as Zhen alludes to in her ending, she never had a real choice at all (confirmed indirectly, of course, by the fact that the true successor is Mizzlebip), and tugging on the dissonance about choice in the story as presented gives us better insight into the ending. she casts her lack of choice as never having any choice but to love abby, but one of her only consistent character traits is being very wrong about her own motivations and lying about them when she does understand them, so I'm not inclined to suddenly believe her reading here. her literal flight into codependence, how she minimizes her actions ("an entire nation on fire because of one little speech i gave"), it's all just her survival instinct kicking in again, and how she rationalizes it is irrelevant to our broader understanding of the story, which is ultimately a character study of exactly the kind of clout-chasing behavior Z purports to have evolved past. she didn't, she just won, but she wants to think her victory is a moral narrative about personal evolution rather than what it very transparently is, which is a story about how a cult leader repeatedly killed and lied her way into ever greater power, until she fled into hiding on a tropical beach with the rich kid she systematically alienated from any support structure, and then papered over her clear guilt and understanding of her own responsibility by disclaiming any agency.

it is, I think, actually very helpful to read psycholonials against the homestuck epilogue chapter where dave and karkat get a pat "wow we sure did gently caress up at any kind of making a difference but hey, at least we're gay and in love" ending, because there I think the text is pretty clear that 1) settling for safe and insular queer love, even when that love is real and meaningful, can absolutely still be a loss to insidious forces (dirk, imperialism/jubilite ideology/mizzlebip) if it means abdicating any effort to change the world and 2) depictions of queer romance are consciously presented by those same forces to distract us from their victory.

or hussie isn't very good at writing endings, and just kind of comes to pat conclusions that wrap things up too easily! one of the two.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 26, 2022

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
My current understanding of Hussie's oeuvre is that it's similar to Inglourious Basterds, where Nazis get decimated by Jewish bogeymen straight out of their own propaganda. Psycholonials is likewise a riff on apocalyptic, paranoid views of the Left, which is why America slowly succumbs to an infection of genderqueer, Chinese-Communist, antifa super soldiers. It's the imigrants??... joke from SBaHJ, complete with harsh image compression, but stretched across 9 chapters. Similar stuff is going on in the underbelly of Homestuck, and there's a lot of jokes in Hiveswap (Friendsim too) predicated on recognition of anti-USSR sentiment -- references to Laika, nuclear war, Russian puns in the new troll names, etc.

So while it might not be the cause of the exact tensions you're referring to, some of the dissonance in Psycholonials is caused by Hussie reframing the villain of a right wing narrative as the protagonist, while leaving various uncharitable misrepresentations from the original telling intact. You might call it slur reclamation

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think Hussie might just be a bad writer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pooeuvre

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The only clown slur is Honkey

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mmmmalo posted:

My current understanding of Hussie's oeuvre is that it's similar to Inglourious Basterds, where Nazis get decimated by Jewish bogeymen straight out of their own propaganda.
Not gonna comment on Psycholonials cause I haven't read it, but this is a really weird read on Basterds.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Homestuck is bad but I don't think it's holocaust level bad, gosh

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not gonna comment on Psycholonials cause I haven't read it, but this is a really weird read on Basterds.

Granted, but I think it accounts for a lot! Like the movie includes a propaganda film about relentless slaughter of the enemy to point a finger at itself, and the title is misspelled (and a bunch of characters have bad accents) because the movie's self-consciously rooted in the little various misrepresentations that propaganda involves. One example: the movie seems to have this sort of infantilizing attitude towards the Nazis, having Colonel Landa ask for milk (and later, lots of cream), having the Nazi that the Basterds let go promise to be good and hug his mother... like Nazis have to be depicted as man-children, as a rule.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Hey there, I'm a new poster here who's been reading Homestuck over the summer.

I just made it to the "caucasian" joke. So I heard this was the point where every forum and Tumblr got overrun with chuds harassing anyone who depicts the kids as nonwhite, but I can't understand why they felt vindicatedto do it over something that's so obviously an expression of hatred towards fans in general - dressing Jake and Jane up in diabetes and having them say lovey-dovey dialogue so soon after he pulled a "You must be crushing on someone other than me" trope unironically to split the characters off from communicating.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e: scanning this basterds poster's history i realize that getting involved with their opinions is inadvisable

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Hey there, I'm a new poster here who's been reading Homestuck over the summer.

I just made it to the "caucasian" joke. So I heard this was the point where every forum and Tumblr got overrun with chuds harassing anyone who depicts the kids as nonwhite, but I can't understand why they felt vindicatedto do it over something that's so obviously an expression of hatred towards fans in general - dressing Jake and Jane up in diabetes and having them say lovey-dovey dialogue so soon after he pulled a "You must be crushing on someone other than me" trope unironically to split the characters off from communicating.

if you're talking about Jollystuck then the "caucasian" thing had little to do with right-wingers overrunning the discourse, tumblr was on a constant hair trigger at the time and took the first mention of the characters' ethnicity as erasure, so hussie in his usual fashion decided to pull the same gag after the initial firestorm and then edited it to "peachy" a week later when the coals had cooled off

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mmmmalo posted:

Granted, but I think it accounts for a lot! Like the movie includes a propaganda film about relentless slaughter of the enemy to point a finger at itself, and the title is misspelled (and a bunch of characters have bad accents) because the movie's self-consciously rooted in the little various misrepresentations that propaganda involves. One example: the movie seems to have this sort of infantilizing attitude towards the Nazis, having Colonel Landa ask for milk (and later, lots of cream), having the Nazi that the Basterds let go promise to be good and hug his mother... like Nazis have to be depicted as man-children, as a rule.
The Basterds are nothing like Nazi propaganda of Jewish people. They ain't scheming, greedy, or manipulative. They're just performing direct violence. Like a large part of the Nazi propaganda machine was dedicated to saying that Jewish people were unwilling to do violence themselves and had to trick other people into it. Jewish soldiers are a direct refutation of that.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

if you're talking about Jollystuck then the "caucasian" thing had little to do with right-wingers overrunning the discourse, tumblr was on a constant hair trigger at the time and took the first mention of the characters' ethnicity as erasure, so hussie in his usual fashion decided to pull the same gag after the initial firestorm and then edited it to "peachy" a week later when the coals had cooled off

Well, if that's the story, then how come TVTropes says it was backlash that scared Hussie into redacting his joke and also erasing all mention of the characters being white from older pages?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 3, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Delphisage posted:

Well, if that's the story, then how come everyone else says it was backlash that scared Hussie into redacting his joke and also erasing all mention of the characters being white from older pages?

i have never been involved in the larger homestuck discourse, but apparently "everyone" also says now that kankri is a mean-spirited jab at leftist discourse instead of a fairly accurate portrayal of a fairly common type of lunatic in fandoms at the time. if people are rewriting history so that hussie was "scared" of them instead of deliberately provoking them with another tasteless joke then i wouldn't be surprised

in the latter half of homestuck he didn't seem to care about the comic's fans at all so much as some nebulous idea of "fandom" that he mined for meta gags and (increasingly unsuccessful) plot developments. jollystuck itself is basically what you'd get if you applied a Super Star to a game that's supposed to be about personal development, so all the characters launch into literally saccharine cliches to get their conflicts and resolutions over with as quickly as possible only to wake up with a crushing hangover, sucking worse than ever

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

jollystuck itself is basically what you'd get if you applied a Super Star to a game that's supposed to be about personal development, so all the characters launch into literally saccharine cliches to get their conflicts and resolutions over with as quickly as possible only to wake up with a crushing hangover, sucking worse than ever

Sounds like part authorial temper tantrum and part Hussie rushing plot developments because he wants to get to other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

IIRC Hussie deleted mentions of race because he was supporting fans who liked drawing the characters as nonwhite.

e: Nobody who has read Act 5 has ever described it as "rushed".