Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I think the trick to this season is there arent multiple timelines at all. They're all happening simultaneously (with some flashbacks being experienced in the present)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The whole multiple timeline twist is a twist in s1 because this show does the gimmick that people in different decades wear the same clothes and same hiredo and fashion standstill. It worked in s1 because you never see that in other shows.

Once you established that and it's no longer a surprise, why do you even do it again and frame it as a surprise?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

What's up with Dolores' roommate and taking her out to meet dates?

Also, I can't remember but is Stubbs also a host?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Clocks posted:

Yeah, it's kind of funny to think about the logistics of Stubbs and Bernard chilling out in some motel room for 23 years, it would probably make more sense if it had been a private home. And you'd think Stubbs would have dusted the place but I suppose you might not want to interrupt Bernard's adventures in the sublime.

There's probably a story like Stubbs buying out the motel by doing some side gigs and whatnot. Not unlike, I suppose, Rick's ship from R&M so to speak.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

dew worm posted:

I think Dolores' roommate is sort of a safeguard to keep her on a loop.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Roommate is a handler/minder.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

dew worm posted:

Yes, but the real question is: since there has been a significant amount of time with Bernard checked out in the Sublime... who is to say Halores hasn't found Stubbs and Bernard's roadside motel and replaced Stubbs with Team Halores clone?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bernard would know some he knows everything now

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Roommate is a handler/minder.

If that's true, why is she just now getting fly'd? shouldn't she already have the parasite?

dew worm posted:

She's a busybody and won't be satisfied till Delores is dating a nice man

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i dunno, halores seems pretty dim. if everyone going against her weren't even dumber and just kind of flying by the seat of their pants all the time I don't know how menacing she'd be. she apparently didn't even know where Caleb was until Maeve basically did the work for her, and he wasn't even hiding. he was literally working in the same city and living in town

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

WampaLord posted:

If that's true, why is she just now getting fly'd? shouldn't she already have the parasite?

She's a busybody and won't be satisfied till Delores is dating a nice man

she was always fly'd, she's remembering getting fly'd as a kid in the form of a nightmare, during that 23 year period halores described

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

halores is basically (and literally too so it makes sense) S2 wyatt delores, just rampaging around repeating dumb Edgy bullshit, protected by plot armor as everybody steps on rakes trying to stop her. its probably to Tessa Thompsons credit that she plays smug evil so well that her version comes across even more obnoxious and exhausting

these posts sound like criticisms but they're not really, I'm enjoying this season a lot. it's been really straightforward the same way S3 was which I've enjoyed. you can't really pull a trick like S1 twice, and S2 was a mess trying to recreate that. just making really high production value relatively clever Sci fi action tv with compelling performances is a worthy bar and better than 90% of what's out there and they've hit that with last and this season so far

really looking forward to/hoping teddy playing a big role, both he and James Marsden deserve to finally get to be the hero

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

dew worm posted:

yeah he is

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

stephenthinkpad posted:

The whole multiple timeline twist is a twist in s1 because this show does the gimmick that people in different decades wear the same clothes and same hiredo and fashion standstill. It worked in s1 because you never see that in other shows.

Once you established that and it's no longer a surprise, why do you even do it again and frame it as a surprise?

They're not - the "surprise" this time round was that it's a fidelity test for Caleb (sic).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I thought it was a clever twist this time because it's something that was clearly established in season two, but we haven't seen put into practice with any of the protagonists yet. And I like the reveal that C is his daughter was played very matter-of-factly, respecting that the audience likely figured it out already and not treating it like some huge reveal. No idea if this season will stick the landing, but at least it's doing something more interesting than the last two seasons.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

MokBa posted:

I thought it was a clever twist this time because it's something that was clearly established in season two, but we haven't seen put into practice with any of the protagonists yet. And I like the reveal that C is his daughter was played very matter-of-factly, respecting that the audience likely figured it out already and not treating it like some huge reveal. No idea if this season will stick the landing, but at least it's doing something more interesting than the last two seasons.

Yeah, they laid the breadcrumbs for that reveal really well and didn’t try to headfake the audience on it. Just like the machines, maybe Nolan and Joy are… learning?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

The fidelity test for Caleb is running through the 1920's theme park 200 some odd times until the copy perfected his actions?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

dew worm posted:

The fidelity test for Caleb is running through the 1920's theme park 200 some odd times until the copy perfected his actions?
I mean, that's how they did William.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah I really liked that callback. Of course Halloris would revive the "let's make perfect host copies of real people" because gently caress it, why not?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The show's first season is (like Ted Lasso) a perfect season of tv lightening in a bottle moment. You got a great story/mystery hook, amazing new and old actors, being anchored Sir Anthony Hopkins giving a stunning performance chewing up and spitting out every scene he's in. It took them two season to realize they can't do "that" again, but they are very good at what they do and they can do high grade camp/pulp/scifi, and this season has leaned into that with a very good cast of actors. It's why it's fun again.

One thing that's interesting. By this point in the other seasons, I'm pretty sure John-than Nolan has written (and usually directed) one of the episodes, but this season, only Lisa Joy (his wife and co-showrunner) has written the pilot with someone else. I wonder if it's because of them also running Fallout over at Amazon?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

crazysim posted:

There's probably a story like Stubbs buying out the motel by doing some side gigs and whatnot. Not unlike, I suppose, Rick's ship from R&M so to speak.

lol I'm still waiting to watch the show while reading the thread and does Stubbs do a "keep summer safe" for Bernard?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah I really liked that callback. Of course Halloris would revive the "let's make perfect host copies of real people" because gently caress it, why not?

William makes sense to copy, he's important and powerful. But why expend the effort for Caleb? Am I forgetting something relevant from last season? I thought he was just some everyman, one of dozens or hundreds to join the resistance effort against Hale's plot, but not special to her or the cause in any particular way.

Rehoboam labeled him an "outlier," but does that mean anything anymore?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Xealot posted:

William makes sense to copy, he's important and powerful. But why expend the effort for Caleb? Am I forgetting something relevant from last season? I thought he was just some everyman, one of dozens or hundreds to join the resistance effort against Hale's plot, but not special to her or the cause in any particular way.

Rehoboam labeled him an "outlier," but does that mean anything anymore?

1. Haloris loves loving with people that try to oppose her
2. Caleb was involved with Maeve, and they were part of a paramilitary organisation that took down the Computer Spheres, thus are obviously a threat to Haloris's plans given their "maybe humans shouldn't be controlled by machines" stance. His position as Maeve's right hand man makes him a figure of importance/interest.
3. Caleb's grown up daughter is now part of said organisation, and having a copy of her dad would really gently caress with her head (see point 1)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

LionArcher posted:

One thing that's interesting. By this point in the other seasons, I'm pretty sure John-than Nolan has written (and usually directed) one of the episodes, but this season, only Lisa Joy (his wife and co-showrunner) has written the pilot with someone else. I wonder if it's because of them also running Fallout over at Amazon?

They are also adopting William Gibson's The Peripheral for Amazon. Its my favorite book of recent years so they better not gently caress it up like they hosed up WW.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A reminder that this Delores' plan is to literally turn all humans into hosts. Not just in the "mind-control" sense, but in the "act out arbitrary and often brutal plots for my amusement" sense. That's it. That is all this is about, her spite loving the entire world for what it put her through. Like the entire thing with Caleb is performing digital necromancy to take some rando she already killed and torture him for the rest of eternity. Killing him once wasn't enough, he didn't have enough time to really contemplate how much she'd destroyed everything he cares about.

There is nothing she is building towards beyond loving with humanity, forever. And as of this moment in the narrative, she's already won.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

They are also adopting William Gibson's The Peripheral for Amazon. Its my favorite book of recent years so they better not gently caress it up like they hosed up WW.

I dunno, flaws and all I think the show is better than anything Michael Crichton ever wrote. Let's be honest here, if Crichton wrote the show like he writes his books, all the hosts would have spontaneously blown themselves up in the penultimate episode for no reason at all and no one would stop to reflect on anything that happened.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 19, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

I dunno, flaws and all I think the show is better than anything Michael Crichton ever wrote. Let's be honest here, if Crichton wrote the show like he writes his books, all the hosts would have spontaneously blown themselves up in the penultimate episode for no reason at all and no one would stop to reflect on anything that happened.

Yeah, they get poo poo on but they also wrote the first season. Same reason I get frustrated talking about GOT. Yes, they bungled the ending. But adapting the first few books as well as they did is an insane feat.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The Hosts may be fully consciousness AI, but they were not created in a vacuum. They developed sentience over decades of running narratives and improvising inside those narratives, so being Dramatis Personae (capitalization intentional) is deep, deep down in their basic motivations. It's not unlike humans, the product of billions of years of evolution, who are motivated by the animal need to eat, grow, and reproduce. Hosts have a deep gut need to be extra.

That's my justification for Hale still being a petty, messy bitch after 26 years of ruling the world. Hale will always be a smug grindhouse Moriarty.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 20, 2022

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season is a lot better than I was expecting-- granted, my expectations were underground.

I am amazed at how Tessa Thompson has somehow gotten worse as the show goes on. And she was already awful.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i miss evil girlboss dolores. halores is too mustache twirling villain, and i think at this point after all her identity crisis issues and watching her 'kids' die in s3, she has become a completely different entity altogether. i'm betting we'll see dolores prime return somehow to fight halores once the freshly imaged copy wakes up

looking forward to the next episode

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It helps a lot that the show spends less time being amazed at its own cleverness. That worked fine in s1 since it actually was clever but in s2 and s3 it was just obnoxious.

One weak point is that the action feels like they're running through a script where x, y and z needs to happen rather than trying to compose a scene with tension.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, that's how they did William.

Well, it's definitely what William subjected James Delos to (though without success). I'm still not sure if the fidelity test for William that we saw in the post credits scene from season 2 is something that Hale subjected him to. William's daughter was administering the test and we haven't seen a host copy of her yet, plus it had the appearance of being set super far into the future. I almost wonder if that's still an event that's to come after Bernard and Maeve vs. Hale plays out.

Essentially, it was a hell of a callback for us as viewers but since we're seeing things out of order, I wonder what happened first chronologically.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gordon Shumway posted:

Well, it's definitely what William subjected James Delos to (though without success). I'm still not sure if the fidelity test for William that we saw in the post credits scene from season 2 is something that Hale subjected him to. William's daughter was administering the test and we haven't seen a host copy of her yet, plus it had the appearance of being set super far into the future. I almost wonder if that's still an event that's to come after Bernard and Maeve vs. Hale plays out.

Essentially, it was a hell of a callback for us as viewers but since we're seeing things out of order, I wonder what happened first chronologically.
By they I meant the writers.

Anyway, I just realized Halores is like Roko's Basilisk, creating copies of people just to be an rear end in a top hat to them.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

my guess would be that the S2 post credits scene is something that might not come to pass, since for that to happen/have any narrative weight Bernard's gotta blow it and humanity has to go extinct. which is a fine direction to take things, but it does kind of saps the tension out of things if we've already seen that he fails and however many hundreds of years later they're still just psychically flogging robo William in some dusty sewer for no particular reason

re fidelity tests in general I don't think they're things they have to do like, all the time, its just for when they're trying to make exact real replicas of real living humans with their memories. so you wouldn't need to do it to make just a standard William host clone that's just your evil slave/muscle, because he knows he's not really William, he's just a Terminator with William data wearing a William face. and you don't need to do it for an existing human who got fly'd because they're just a normal person who you're basically mind controlling. and you don't have to do them to make a normal host like Maeve or Dolores, who were just normal old super smart park animatronics NPCs that came by their sentience through honest attrition and accumulation of experience. or like Bernard was a totally new guy built off partial memories from a different guy.

the fidelity test we've seen 3 times now is for the real tricky one where you're trying to straight up do immortality/, put a real human that lived's consciousness and memories in a host and have them seamlessly go on living without realizing they aren't the original person, or when/if they do realize it not go loving insane over it like Delos did I guess

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mandrel posted:

the fidelity test we've seen 3 times now is for the real tricky one where you're trying to straight up do immortality/, put a real human that lived's consciousness and memories in a host and have them seamlessly go on living without realizing they aren't the original person, or when/if they do realize it not go loving insane over it like Delos did I guess

Yeah, it's basically quality control for continuity of consciousness. If you pass the fidelity test, for the purposes of Delos, you have pretty much been downloaded into a new body and not just a really good emulation of you.

I've always assumed that Delos figured out how to cram a ton of transcranial magnetic imaging hardware into a hat band, so they're at least getting high resolution recordings of your neurology.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Someone remind me - why does Maeve have wireless hacker powers?

And why doesn't Hale, who literally owns Parks and can do anything, not have it installed?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone remind me - why does Maeve have wireless hacker powers?

And why doesn't Hale, who literally owns Parks and can do anything, not have it installed?

This is something Maeve developed after loving with her own programming, and the way that she did it was something that Ford programmed her to do before she really became sentient. So it's knowledge that Ford had and wasn't sharing, not something that Delos necessarily knows or can easily figure out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks.

Also, the buildings around the tower totally form the Maze, don't they?

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I think I need to rewatch clips from S2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks.

Also, the buildings around the tower totally form the Maze, don't they?

yeah it looks like from overhead that complex probably looks like the maze symbol