Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

AskYourself posted:

This unfortunately a good idea if your boss keep being stupid… you are in total control of that number so if all he care about is the number then you know what to do… The fact that less real work is being done is irrelevant to people with no knowledge of how we do our work.

:hmmyes:

The guy should not be this dumb ... I guess until he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sivart13 posted:

if you give someone a number, they're gonna look at it next to their table of other numbers and do a contrast and compare (bigger, smaller, etc)

i've heard of teams using t-shirt sizes for tickets (so you got your small/medium/large/xl) to avoid this. i don't know how they turn "ah, we have these sized tickets" into "this is how much work we will bring in this sprint"

oliveoil posted:

Unless your boss has your whole team do estimates and likes to pick values toward the middle.

bully enough of your team mates. easy.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

redleader posted:

i've heard of teams using t-shirt sizes for tickets (so you got your small/medium/large/xl) to avoid this. i don't know how they turn "ah, we have these sized tickets" into "this is how much work we will bring in this sprint"

bully enough of your team mates. easy.

Everything is just extra medium then ( my team stopped doing estimates because they are stupid ).

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
My team uses t-shirt sizes to somehow convince ourselves to commit to doing fifteen projects in a quarter on a team with like three FTEs.

These plans are finalized by the third week of the quarter at the absolute earliest, already including obvious lies by the time they get a rubber stamp by upper management.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

YanniRotten posted:

My team uses t-shirt sizes to somehow convince ourselves to commit to doing fifteen projects in a quarter on a team with like three FTEs.

These plans are finalized by the third week of the quarter at the absolute earliest, already including obvious lies by the time they get a rubber stamp by upper management.

Reminds me of a prior job where management really wanted to do a big project. When engineering told them how big it was and how it couldn't possibly be fit into our schedule until next year, management asked for new estimates instead of deciding to do something else.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Estimates for the same thing always go up on subsequent passes since you've obviously had more time to consider previously ignored tasks :science:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
They just want you to say, "Don't worry. We'll take care of it."

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Give me 9 reports and I'll take care of it

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

At least they asked for estimates instead of kicking off a project and saying its due next Tuesday

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can think about my situation more positively. At the start of the year i went from a small to huge company and changed just about everything like programming language used, tooling, architecture, full stack to back end, etc.

It feels like I'm in a weird spot because while I've learned a ton so far this year I'm a long long way from being as productive as my teammates. I do a bit of professional development daily (mostly reading relevant programming books on my commute) and work an average of 8h per day. I don't have any immediate pressure from management or anything but it just kinda feels like piss to be the worst on your team. I find the hardest part is writing code that will fit in with the 25 other related files and classes in the mish mash of new and old code. I spend most of my time daily reading and searching code.

I like my team and the work and want to stay for a long time and become an expert in this area but it sucks to be the noob all the time and I also don't want to get pip'd. I'm at somewhere around 4-5 years experience. Performance review is coming up at the end of year and has been weighing on my mind a lot.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ask your manager how you're doing. if they say everything's fine then everything's fine. if not they can probably help you get on track

sounds to me like imposter syndrome

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do you have regular meetings with your boss? They should provide feedback so review time isn't a surprise. If that's not happening, your boss sucks and you should ask for regular checkins.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Fair enough about it sounding like imposter syndrome. I appreciate your thoughts.

And yes I have weekly 1 on 1s with my manager. Feedback has been positive but I also sort of got a pass with being new and ramping up. More expectations to execute well on my project this half.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Being the worst person on a good team is only bad if you're being punished for it and/or not learning. If you're learning and your boss is ok with your progress then it's a great place to be other than the imposter syndrome.

Talk to your boss about the upcoming review if it's bothering you. They should be able to give guidance about how you stand so far.

Being PIP'd should not be a surprise. If it is management is garbage and you should be finding a new job anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It takes about six months to understand how everything is wired together and find out all the really bad decisions made before you got there, particularly with a large established company with lots of speghetti code. There's a reason why companies keep a close eye on employee turnover

The fact that they have you working on a large project solo is a good sign. Useless people just grind out baby tickets all day until they improve or leave

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
God I hate grinding baby tickets all day. Glad that stopped. Now I grind baby projects all month.

Starting to take my Adderall again so hopefully I'll be able to start grinding projects all quarter instead.

Though I sometimes wonder if I got a project to self-lead for a year or so on my last team because it was low priority. Maybe if it was important they would have had a senior instead of a junior on it.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

That helps, thanks all. I'll ask my manager some questions on these topics and if he says all good then I'll try to believe that haha

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The more senior you get, the longer it takes to spin up for a new job. That's life, and good managers understand that. From what you've said, it sounds like your manager does get it, but I think it will be better for you to hear it from him than from us.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I agree on asking the boss, but as a mega company man, I will bring up some other stuff:

1. Actively seek out pockets of tribal knowledge including who to know. If you are not getting fed that already, multiple people are doing you a huge disservice. If you cannot just get that stuff told to you, pay attention to peculiar people and things that keep coming up over and over and try to reach out about them in particular; it is always easier to get a specific answer in reaction than a general initiative to keep you informed.

2. Find yourself a technical mentor. A decent one--not even necessarily a good one--has an incentive to actively mentor somebody. They can even be at the same or lower level for what it matters. In this case, you do not want them to be directly in your team. The first thing they might say is "wow I am glad to see you serious about this. The past five people that joined that team just seemed to wash out for some reason." And now you know something.

3. At a smaller scale you can combine 1 and 2 if you saw somebody do something really skilled: ask them how they did it and if they could show it off. This also is a incentive to them to present that stuff even if it is just at internal conferences.

4. Annotating source is usually a great way to find a person who has context on some source that can tell you about it. If they no longer in the team but still at the company, they may spill some of the tea to you.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They just want you to say, "Don't worry. We'll take care of it."

Yeah I've gradually learned that this is what you do in planning, and your team only ever works on the top two or three things which are the only things anyone asks about.

You blow through the deadlines on those as well, but the deadlines are arbitrary and as an engineer you're fine as long as you get enough done to hang your hat on in a six month review cycle. As in, you were a major contributor to one of those big things and it shipped. The fact that it came in a quarter late and your team didn't do any of the other stuff didn't matter too much.

The Aristocrats!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I call it "Anxiety-Oriented Programming."

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Back in December, this happened:

hendersa posted:

- I did a preliminary technical screening interview with Meta, but the feedback I received was that they didn't get a "clear signal" on my ability from the interview and wanted to do a second tech screen. I politely declined and withdrew my application, stating that I was already past the on-site interviews with Google and that I probably wasn't what Meta was looking for if it wasn't immediately apparent in their tech screen. The recruiter seemed somewhat hurt that I'd say such a thing, since they are in dire need of experienced embedded people for their AR/VR initiative. Oh well. I also wasn't worried about backing out because I've had several people tell me that Meta is toxic as all hell.

Today, I got a mail from a Meta recruiter (straight to my personal mail, so it was from my pre-existing applicant profile):

Desperate Meta Recruiter posted:

One of my colleagues was in touch with you earlier this year before we filled all of our openings, but now there's more! The team I'm sourcing for is seeking a Sr. Embedded Software Engineer to build and execute strategies and plans across all our current and future AR/VR products. This is an exciting time to get involved as we currently have a very limited number of open roles within our Embedded pipeline. These are high priority openings, signed off by our executive leadership.

I responded by saying that, since I didn't even pass their technical phone screen last time, I take that as a pretty clear indicator that I'm just not the type of candidate that Meta is looking for. Then, I wished him luck on finding the right people for his positions. Will he swallow his pride and mail me back, asking me to at least try? We shall see.

:shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hendersa posted:

Back in December, this happened:

Today, I got a mail from a Meta recruiter (straight to my personal mail, so it was from my pre-existing applicant profile):

I responded by saying that, since I didn't even pass their technical phone screen last time, I take that as a pretty clear indicator that I'm just not the type of candidate that Meta is looking for. Then, I wished him luck on finding the right people for his positions. Will he swallow his pride and mail me back, asking me to at least try? We shall see.

:shrug:

Should have said you'd be happy to accept a principle level position given your performance in the last round of interviews.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ignore this

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm disabled. I set my LinkedIn position to "Reading, writing, and thinking". Last week I got mail from a recruiter who was very excited about my experience at Reading.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had the same Meta thing and the recruiter claimed they were different but couldn't elaborate.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Always amazed by how people perceive things differently.

Been doing some more interesting, more vague, larger-scoped work.

My mental health has been bad. I haven't felt like a functional thinker for a while. As a result, I feel like I've been doing some of the worst performance of my career.

My manager keeps praising my work in 1:1s, though. Yesterday he actually said most people here wouldn't be able to take on the work I have and run with it the way I have. I was shocked. Every day I'm paranoid they're going to realize I barely feel functional half the time and then I hear this stuff and I'm baffled.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

oliveoil posted:

My mental health has been bad. I haven't felt like a functional thinker for a while. As a result, I feel like I've been doing some of the worst performance of my career.

My manager keeps praising my work in 1:1s, though. Yesterday he actually said most people here wouldn't be able to take on the work I have and run with it the way I have. I was shocked. Every day I'm paranoid they're going to realize I barely feel functional half the time and then I hear this stuff and I'm baffled.

Most programmers are very bad and can barely get anything done without serious hand-holding.

It's amazing any software works at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kilson posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Oldie Programming: It's amazing any software works at all

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kilson posted:

It really is. https://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
For real. I've recently come to appreciate the engineering culture of the prior company I worked at. They're a huge defense contractor with tons of bad baggage but I can say the (mostly) structured approach to process and problem solving is a lot easier to work under versus the clusterfuck that is software.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The only good programmers are programmers who realize nothing works and are very skeptical when it does.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I knew I had some sort of virtue!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This part really hit me in the feels

quote:

Also, the bridge was designed as a suspension bridge, but nobody actually knew how to build a suspension bridge, so they got halfway through it and then just added extra support columns to keep the thing standing, but they left the suspension cables because they’re still sort of holding up parts of the bridge.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

There's a Russian proto-meme on a similar topic that predates this by a good 20 years that's still relevant as ever. Someone on Reddit did a very good translation: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/9160d0/a_group_of_russian_programmers_get_a_new_project/

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > Oldie Programming: It's amazing any software works at all

downout
Jul 6, 2009

oliveoil posted:

Everybody is winging it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah that tracks with basically everyone I know. It’s…a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Yeah and when you can wing several things at once you get promoted to senior. Maybe at principal / staff level people actually achieve with intentionality but I can’t personally confirm.