Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I enjoyed this content, watched it all, thank you for sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I actually disagree. They're probably in 35 hours of meetings a week and spend another 40 in session, talking to donors, handling press events, directing staff, etc. It's just that all of that work is fake work that accomplishes gently caress all. They do a lot, they achieve nothing.

Fundraising and going on vacation is not “work.”

Their aides do all the work for no money and the possibility of the same grifting gig.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Been in the ER all day for what they think is appendicitis. Like literally got here at 11EST and am still sat on a bed in a hallway. Finally just got the CT scan and they said it’ll be another hour before they know anything.

Like I get there are for sure people who are in worse shape than me here but going on 8 hours and I’m going stir crazy. At least they gave me morphine.

And to make matters worse the batteries on my switch died :(

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

While conventional wisdom is IMMEDIATE SURGERY I think they’re usually more likely to give a significant antibiotic course to get the inflammation down before operating. Swickles is certainly more plugged into standard of care for that but I’ve seen more of that recently—trying to reduce the chances of rupture and peritonitis during surgery as well as making it easier to remove in its entirety when it isn’t fully inflamed. I’m glad they’re tending to your pain well and I hope your wait isn’t too much longer though—good luck!

Semi-related, but there’s been a fair bit of discourse on medical twitter with Americans talking about wait times in UHC countries and yeah…..wait times are awful here too because triage is a thing and we have disincentivized people from becoming medical professionals.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was wondering about that after I fainted in an urgent care. In a situation like that are you better off going to a UC first, having them diagnose your appendix? So that you get referred in right away? Does that work?

In my case I literally fainted getting a chest x-ray from pneumonia so an ambulance was called, not sure how that'd work with an appendix actually.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went to Urgent Care first and he pretty much immediately sent me to the ER. I wasn’t in massive amounts of pain so I guess they wanna be 100% sure it’s appendix before cutting me open

First time I’ve ever had a CT scan and the contrast stuff made me feel like I pissed my pants which was weird. Tbf the guy said it was gonna feel like that but I didn’t know it would be like oh god no I actually pissed myself feeling

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When I had appendicitis back in 2008, I was in tremendous pain but my abdomen wasn't characteristically stiff in the right spot so they did an ultrasound and then took me to surgery after a shift change. I wonder what the difference was, for a CT vs. an ultrasound

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I went to Urgent Care first and he pretty much immediately sent me to the ER. I wasn’t in massive amounts of pain so I guess they wanna be 100% sure it’s appendix before cutting me open

First time I’ve ever had a CT scan and the contrast stuff made me feel like I pissed my pants which was weird. Tbf the guy said it was gonna feel like that but I didn’t know it would be like oh god no I actually pissed myself feeling

Do you have any other symptoms besides abdominal pain? I had flu like symptoms to go with it for a couple days before I ended up in the hospital. I was 10 though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s a tough call but an urgent care is going to turf you to ED for any acute abdominal problem usually. If you’re really sick and suspect appendix with that right lower quadrant pain, chills, etc then you may be better off in ED at first stop. Especially since you won’t know how far away from rupture you may be.

And peritonitis —> sepsis is bad news.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Good to know, I was just curious if I had found the one weird trick to skipping ER wait times, but per Joey's post, apparently not.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

And peritonitis —> sepsis is bad news.

Yes, it is. I became septic after an abdominal surgery in 2018, and that was 31 flavors of hell, I was in the hospital for like two weeks, one of which was spent on an NG tube.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well she came back and said my appendix looks fine but part of my intestine looks infected and swollen, which would explain the pain. Said there’s nothing she can do to treat it except wait it out and pain management. Kind of annoying that it’s vague and not a definite answer but I guess at least I won’t need surgery.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

Good to know, I was just curious if I had found the one weird trick to skipping ER wait times, but per Joey's post, apparently not.

ED wait times are dependent on so many factors there isn’t any trick to gaming the system. People think going by ambulance will get you soon but I’ve put plenty of folks directly in the waiting room if their complaint isn’t life threatening. I’ve put full bore high risk chest pain pts in the waiting room if the ED is full enough (with IV and meds on board)—after a full explanation to receiving staff and lot of documentation to cover my own rear end of course.

You’re just never in control and the sickest will always go first. Every ED is minutes away from a gunshot victim being dumped at their door unexpectedly or me showing up with an intubated patient on a pressor drip and no blood pressure.

I tell people too that they aren’t going to keep you just to keep you. They want to triage you, see you and boot you out the door if they can. They’re just overworked, understaffed, underpaid and doing everything they can to get by.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

One time I went to Louisville with my friend and his family mostly expressly to go to the bitchin skatepark they have/had there, and then he broke his leg pretty badly. I think we got to the ER around 10:00PM and he wasn’t seen until 12:00 Noon the next day lmao.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

They’re just overworked, understaffed, underpaid and doing everything they can to get by.

So, American?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pmchem posted:

So, American?

Pretty much yeah. But worse than average.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t even understand most wait times. Took my kid to urgent care a couple weeks ago and they said no wait. Still took 30 minutes before I stepped into a patient room.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

ED wait times are dependent on so many factors there isn’t any trick to gaming the system.

Fake a seizure or heart attack.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t even understand most wait times. Took my kid to urgent care a couple weeks ago and they said no wait. Still took 30 minutes before I stepped into a patient room.

Chart review, triage, and probably checking insurance (urgent care frequently refuses uninsured and will call 911 for minor things because, we can’t say no, and boot them out the door…it’s insane).

FizFashizzle posted:

Fake a seizure or heart attack.

Saddling yourself with an expensive neuro consult, emergent CT and losing your license to skip to the head of the line?

Seems reasonable haha. Lot of strange folks out there.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I'm just confused with all the discussion about erectile dysfunction all of a sudden

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1549468673819254784

for fucks sake stop using real guns on sets

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Fuckin nice, my mail-in ballot for the WI primaries arrived stuck to the adhesive of the return envelope and it was impossible to remove it without ruining the ballot

:tinfoil:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

You may want to actually read the article

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rectal Placenta posted:

I'm just confused with all the discussion about erectile dysfunction all of a sudden

Goons getting old and floppy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The man was murdered in his car.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

It’s a pretty misleading headline. Someone was shot near where they were going to film that day, unrelated to the show.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Russian Guyovitch posted:

It’s a pretty misleading headline. Someone was shot near where they were going to film that day, unrelated to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m92tuqthJw

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
well next time I'll click I suppose :v:

e: technically a gun was used on the set. Just not by the car and crew! :haw:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 20, 2022

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was sitting at a stop light in the back streets area and there was a dog in this big yard who was holding a ball in its mouth just running in a twenty yard across circle just hauling rear end having the time of their life with nobody else around

Dogs are cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1549172046277607424?t=RfKJi3ilzZuUICb1_i0Ttw&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shits about to get really real for a lot of people. I don’t think most people are prepared for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Shits about to get really real for a lot of people. I don’t think most people are prepared for it.

Apparently people are dragging her in the comments for bringing race into it. Bitch, she specified "white people" because non-white people largely already know that cops are not their friend.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

Apparently people are dragging her in the comments for bringing race into it. Bitch, she specified "white people" because non-white people largely already know that cops are not their friend.

That's dumb. It's great advice.

An old favorite, and very pertinent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/InvokeTheFifth/status/1547936864111247360?t=p1lSAzz0T2VIFtE_igKOiQ&s=19

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dammit I was coming to post that. Evergreen advice.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I love shut the gently caress up Friday

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

Well she came back and said my appendix looks fine but part of my intestine looks infected and swollen, which would explain the pain. Said there’s nothing she can do to treat it except wait it out and pain management. Kind of annoying that it’s vague and not a definite answer but I guess at least I won’t need surgery.

Hey, I had pretty much this exact same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I had a fever of 102ish for a couple days and some abdominal pain that got worse. Urgent care sent me to the ER where they kept me for a while, did a CT scan (the metal taste is so weird), and eventually just diagnosed me with colitis caused by either infection or random inflammation. Until the scan came back they thought it was appendicitis due to the location of the pain.

I gradually but noticeably felt better over the course of the next several days as long as I ate basically only bread. I hope the same happens to you!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Hey, I had pretty much this exact same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. I had a fever of 102ish for a couple days and some abdominal pain that got worse. Urgent care sent me to the ER where they kept me for a while, did a CT scan (the metal taste is so weird), and eventually just diagnosed me with colitis caused by either infection or random inflammation. Until the scan came back they thought it was appendicitis due to the location of the pain.

I gradually but noticeably felt better over the course of the next several days as long as I ate basically only bread. I hope the same happens to you!

Sorry that happened to you but glad it was a quick-ish recovery!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulisci/status/1549527748950892544?t=YZrDNjnZNyFMRR9r583Vxw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I've read chapters of A People's History for school, and probably about 75% of it through that lens. I never did a top to bottom read. I just finished it. I appreciate that Zinn addresses my big complaint in the afterword, which is, "I accuse everyone of cherry picking sources, and I do too. And I'd do it again because I was trying to prove a goddamn point here."

I also realized that this is a terrible replacement for a history textbook because it assumes you have an idea of the overarching narrative of US history before coming in. Too many people try to preach this as a replacement for history textbooks but I think it works best as a contrast.

Also maybe I zoned out but it felt insanely light on pre-WW2 antisemitism, too.