Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
More than change gear change gear change gear Clarkson controversy change gear change gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Possibly dumb question, but is there now no legal way to stream Top Gear in the US?

I know motortrend+ used to have it, but they seem to have dropped it at the start of June, and I'm not finding anything else but BBC America that has it stateside.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BBC America will show the new season starting July 14th.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like the current crews thing about calling every car The <model name> like The Rivian and The Civic.

Last episode was kind of by the numbers but a good time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the cheap car challenge is a staple of the show and good for a few laughs. The death race seemed a bit anticlimactic since they had to get different cars.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XNqGvNKJWM

New show from May and Hammond looking cool.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha, Paddy dragging that Porsche in the Defender was worth the price of admission alone, but the classic Trials racing was excellent fun.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm glad they didn't give the M3 a pass for the pig snout.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mr. Wiggles posted:

New show from May and Hammond looking cool.

Hammond: And that's how you microwave a frozen chicken patty which you eat with no condiments, tune in next week for the same programme
May: You disappoint me, Hammond

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

azflyboy posted:

Possibly dumb question, but is there now no legal way to stream Top Gear in the US?

I know motortrend+ used to have it, but they seem to have dropped it at the start of June, and I'm not finding anything else but BBC America that has it stateside.

Feel free to pirate it, I don't watch the BBC and still pay a TV license so you're just using my allocation of programmes.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Haha, Paddy dragging that Porsche in the Defender was worth the price of admission alone, but the classic Trials racing was excellent fun.

The Trials segment was fantastic. Just all joy from everyone involved and good fun.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Latest James May is out, seems fun but, since I'm Italian, hearing mangled Italian from James makes me cringe every now and then. Give it a shot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I said this same thing about his cooking show -

SlowBloke posted:

Latest James May is out, seems fun but, since I eat food, seeing mangled food from James makes me cringe every now and then. Give it a shot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Another point of contention is that several noteworthy places got skipped, for instance my region in the north east was ignored in the last episode while those Tyrol fucks, which will stab you if you call them Italian, got a whole segment. I think it was done on an excessively tiny budget(after all they couldn't pay the Rome permits) which cut the amount of episodes(and places). It could used a couple more.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 15, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think episode 3 (so far) has James more in his element doing Jamesy things. As he even says, the show is a conflict between him wanting to do stuff he likes, and the producer/director wanting to do things that put him in silly clothing, to possibly appeal to the mainstream audience, I assume?

I doubt Joe Schmo is gonna watch these shows without knowing who James is.

But like with Our Man In Japan, there's too many places to go and not enough episodes to go around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

I think episode 3 (so far) has James more in his element doing Jamesy things. As he even says, the show is a conflict between him wanting to do stuff he likes, and the producer/director wanting to do things that put him in silly clothing, to possibly appeal to the mainstream audience, I assume?

I doubt Joe Schmo is gonna watch these shows without knowing who James is.

But like with Our Man In Japan, there's too many places to go and not enough episodes to go around.

I think that something more like his wine tasting trips with Oz peppered with cool(for james standards) excursions would fare better than this top gear lite experience.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 19, 2022

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I keep trying to enjoy the Our Man in Japan series and I just have a hard time staying in front of the TV, despite loving James in general, definitely Oz & James which I've watched ten times or so, and especially in his cooking show and also being really interested in Japanese food. Maybe the Italy one will work better.

In other news one of my friends who originally turned me onto Top Gear in like 2003 before James joined, he'd stopped watching when the Big Three left, and has just now downloaded all the episodes he missed post-Chris Evans since Chris Evans sucks and it's obvious, and he's loving the Paddy-Freddie-Chris combo which I also find to be almost as good as the heyday of the Big Three era (seasons 3-18 or whatever before they started hating each other). Nice to be LTTP on that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

I keep trying to enjoy the Our Man in Japan series and I just have a hard time staying in front of the TV, despite loving James in general, definitely Oz & James which I've watched ten times or so, and especially in his cooking show and also being really interested in Japanese food. Maybe the Italy one will work better.

In other news one of my friends who originally turned me onto Top Gear in like 2003 before James joined, he'd stopped watching when the Big Three left, and has just now downloaded all the episodes he missed post-Chris Evans since Chris Evans sucks and it's obvious, and he's loving the Paddy-Freddie-Chris combo which I also find to be almost as good as the heyday of the Big Three era (seasons 3-18 or whatever before they started hating each other). Nice to be LTTP on that.

To be honest, I've watched almost zero Top Gear since the Big Three left. :sigh:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

To be honest, I've watched almost zero Top Gear since the Big Three left. :sigh:

I think I have enjoyed the new 3 more than the old Big Three on their last few Grand Tours. I really like chris and freddie is good too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn’t like them at first because most of the poo poo seemed mean spirited rather than just good natured screwing around.

They found a balance now and I would say I’ve moved from not liking to just “it’s watchable.”

The stuff they do still seems more contrived than anything Jeremy, James, and Richard did though. I mean, I know the poo poo that they did is largely staged too (with some genuine spontaneous moments thrown in) but the challenges on Top Gear now just seem like are REALLY stretching to make the challenges fit the theme (synthetic sweat, paint bomb for going over 50, old person suit). I mean, the results are entertaining enough to watch, but it just doesn’t feel like it flows as well.

I think mostly is that the outcomes of those challenges rarely yield anything downright hilarious happening. Someone is just slow, someone does well against all odds, and someone is just glad to be done with the challenge.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheBacon posted:

I think I have enjoyed the new 3 more than the old Big Three on their last few Grand Tours. I really like chris and freddie is good too.

I like the new big 3 a lot. I don’t know that they have anyone quite as charming as James but over the past few years I’ve found the “Clarkson is a colossal prick” bit to wear a bit and I like all three of paddy, chris and Freddie.

James in Italy is pretty good. Definitely could use more money but what can you do? I found it a lot more engaging than James in Japan for some reason that I can’t quite pinpoint.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've only watched the first two episodes of James in Italy but it seems like he's moving quite fast through the country? Gotta agree that more money/episodes would have been cool

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pik_d posted:

I've only watched the first two episodes of James in Italy but it seems like he's moving quite fast through the country? Gotta agree that more money/episodes would have been cool

The areas covered by the first two episodes would have required twice the time to properly explore(southern italy is not very densely populated), the areas covered by the remaining episodes should have took thrice the running time. It's like doing a US coast to coast program and just going SF, LA, Chigago, Detroit and New York.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Other regions are available."

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

builds character posted:

I like the new big 3 a lot. I don’t know that they have anyone quite as charming as James but over the past few years I’ve found the “Clarkson is a colossal prick” bit to wear a bit and I like all three of paddy, chris and Freddie.

James in Italy is pretty good. Definitely could use more money but what can you do? I found it a lot more engaging than James in Japan for some reason that I can’t quite pinpoint.

TheBacon posted:

bull3964 posted:

I didn’t like them at first because most of the poo poo seemed mean spirited rather than just good natured screwing around.

They found a balance now and I would say I’ve moved from not liking to just “it’s watchable.”

The stuff they do still seems more contrived than anything Jeremy, James, and Richard did though. I mean, I know the poo poo that they did is largely staged too (with some genuine spontaneous moments thrown in) but the challenges on Top Gear now just seem like are REALLY stretching to make the challenges fit the theme (synthetic sweat, paint bomb for going over 50, old person suit). I mean, the results are entertaining enough to watch, but it just doesn’t feel like it flows as well.

I think mostly is that the outcomes of those challenges rarely yield anything downright hilarious happening. Someone is just slow, someone does well against all odds, and someone is just glad to be done with the challenge.

What season would you guys say is worth it to start watching again? Paddy/Chris/Freddie came after Matt left, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don’t know if I could really pinpoint the moment because time has lost all meaning in the past few years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The new guys are fine but they seem, to me, like variations of the same type of person, almost like siblings or something in terms of personality, while May, Clarkson, and Hammond are about as different from each other as it's possible for three middle-aged cishet white guys from the same country to possibly be. It's tempting to say 'Well they're just getting started' but I recently rewatched the first episode of the Clarkson years where James was introduced and from the first moment it's clear how different he was in personality from Clarkson and Hammond.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 20, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Series 27 was the start of the current 3 I believe and you might check that out but I think it took a series or two for them to sort of hit stride. But I think the first episode of 27 was good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Imagined posted:

The new guys are fine but they seem, to me, like variations of the same type of person, almost like siblings or something in terms of personality, while May, Clarkson, and Hammond are about as different from each other as it's possible for three middle-aged cishet white guys from the same country to possibly be. It's tempting to say 'Well they're just getting started' but I recently rewatched the first episode of the Clarkson years where James was introduced and from the first moment it's clear how different he was in personality from Clarkson and Hammond.

You know what, I think that's about it.

We have a guy with racing experience, athlete, and a normal guy. But at the end of the day, their personalities aren't all that different from each other. For example, I could see them quickly coming to a consensus about a movie to go and see in the theater.

Meanwhile, Richard would be so on board for Top Gun Maverick, James would claim a decent movie hasn't been made after 1975, and Jeremy would ask why in the hell would he want to get into a room with a bunch of strangers to watch a movie.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7ZewVbtyU

Not a Top Gear thing but a worthwhile watch if you like May and Hammond drunkenly rambling while playing a game of drinking chess.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW7ZewVbtyU

Not a Top Gear thing but a worthwhile watch if you like May and Hammond drunkenly rambling while playing a game of drinking chess.

There also seems to be a poo poo-ton of Top Gear outtakes and Motor Tribe/Whats Next stuff on Youtube if you want to see the CMH in their better years, or just want to see May and Hammond wanking about.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Series 27 was the start of the current 3 I believe and you might check that out but I think it took a series or two for them to sort of hit stride. But I think the first episode of 27 was good.

27 and 28 are on Netflix and says new episodes are avail in Aug so I'll check em out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qNofQY13I
Aw yiss

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's out now BTW. Amazon releases at GMT.

Edit: I'm in tears over the icy parking lot.

Yikes. Doing a full speed run on studded tries on concrete is a bad idea.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 16, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Absolutely one of the best specials in awhile.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

bull3964 posted:

It's out now BTW. Amazon releases at GMT.

Edit: I'm in tears over the icy parking lot.

Yikes. Doing a full speed run on studded tries on concrete is a bad idea.

It really surprised me. The first part with Clarkson seemed like typical "we've done this before" and the cuts made it seem like it wasn't even a full run, then yep wow

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, that was probably the most viscerally shocking accident on the show as far as I can remember.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

If was certainly one of the most well televised ones.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I guess that little crest in the braking zone hosed him up... very interesting that he ended up going in sideways too - would have been trying to turn into the corner while locked up ? The way they played hammonds run as if he was going to go for it after that was amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Hammond ski-lift bit was pretty drat funny.