Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonz posted:

*loud CRACK sound at 3 AM*

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing sucked rear end worse than trying to assemble that desk or one like it. That’s like a six hour project for most mortals.

It was such a loving Baby Boomer yuppie conception of how computers had to integrate into the home space. "You will be integrated into our expensive, tacky, cumbersome furniture which we will always have the money to hire someone else to manage." No wonder they got so livid in the 90s when their kids were like "I know you spent all this time making that piece of poo poo desk, but now we need to gut it and make a new one because the tech is out of date."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7HlegQjcP4
🎵 We're turning your bedroom back into the computer room 🎵

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mind the walrus posted:

It was such a loving Baby Boomer yuppie conception of how computers had to integrate into the home space.

And also a complete misunderstanding of the workflow of most people led to SO much space being wasted - CD racks because they assumed you needing to keep all your software install discs within arms reach, shelves sized specifically for the reams of paper you would be printing non-stop, and got to have a special shelf for the scanner you will never use.

You could take all that away is replace it with drawers or cupboards and the entire thing would look 10x neater.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sweevo posted:

And also a complete misunderstanding of the workflow of most people led to SO much space being wasted - CD racks because they assumed you needing to keep all your software install discs within arms reach, shelves sized specifically for the reams of paper you would be printing non-stop, and got to have a special shelf for the scanner you will never use.

You could take all that away is replace it with drawers or cupboards and the entire thing would look 10x neater.

We definitely had some cabinet doors to hide the monitor, that were probably closed about once, then just there when the next monitor was too big for the doors to close.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Also that desk would inevitably hang around until the late 2000's/early 2010's, even as the desk was falling apart, the fake woodgrain lamination peeling apart to reveal the crumbling particle board. Certain areas like the pull out shelf for the keyboard would be inexplicably greasy forever no matter how much you wiped it, from a combination of hand oils and melting wood glue and the aforementioned peeling lamination. Always dusty, no matter what. Some areas of both the desk and the computer chair would have duck tape. Empty CD cases everywhere. Sticky notes everywhere with your parent's passwords, but the websites aren't written down, so they don't know what the passwords are for so they're afraid to throw them away. It would be called the "downstairs computer" because everyone had their own laptops already in their bedrooms but for some tasks your parents insisted on the "downstairs computer", maybe because that's the only place where certain files or log-ins were saved. The "computer room" also becomes the storage/junk room.

Every time I visit my parents to this day, if I go to get a glass of water in the night, I will see the blue glow and hear the muffled sounds of my dad playing Wolfenstein for the 500000th time at 3AM :unsmith:

gently caress that computer desk setup tho

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
"The Downstairs Computer" would be a very powerful username.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pasketti posted:

The "computer room" also becomes the storage/junk room.

I think this is pretty much a standard. I remember in the late 80's when we moved into the house I spent most of my youth in, we put up shelves, and some file cabinets and the computer desk. By the time 2003 rolled around and it was time to move out, it was just full of long obsolete software, ancient issues of Mac World (we had switched that computer to a PC in 1997), and I think even an unopened copy of Astyanax for the NES was unearthed.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I am going to take a guess that the distinctive particle board odor is somewhat toxic/carcinogenic.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I am going to take a guess that the distinctive particle board odor is somewhat toxic/carcinogenic.

good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yall suck I'd be jealous as gently caress of anyone who had that desk. Give it to me you malcontents, I'll use it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gonz posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i think i know where she got the printer.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Raise your hand if the first thing you notice was not the hot girl smiling at you, but rather the fact that there is no PC and it's weirdly set up like a loving typewriter.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tribbledirigible posted:

Raise your hand if the first thing you notice was not the hot girl smiling at you, but rather the fact that there is no PC and it's weirdly set up like a loving typewriter.

That was definitely the second thing I noticed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

tribbledirigible posted:

:thejoke:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Every once in a while I do a reverse image search on that photo, to see if I can find any background info. Of course nothing turns up, but earlier tonight I saw a comment where someone pointed out that the drawer has been installed backwards, or else the protective strip has been torn off. Also since there's no PC, who knows what the speakers are plugged into.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
There is also what appears to be a DSL modem plugged into nothing in particular too

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Every once in a while I do a reverse image search on that photo, to see if I can find any background info. Of course nothing turns up, but earlier tonight I saw a comment where someone pointed out that the drawer has been installed backwards, or else the protective strip has been torn off. Also since there's no PC, who knows what the speakers are plugged into.

Aux jack on a portable CD player.

Nothing in the Discman though.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yall suck I'd be jealous as gently caress of anyone who had that desk. Give it to me you malcontents, I'll use it

Growing up in the 80s/90s I had a wooden desk full of little compartments and cubby holes and drawers and one of the drawers had little compartments in it! I loved it. Everything in its little place. You deskless guys are missing out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a pretty simple ikea computer desk that works great, the micke.

But my dad was handy so he'd build a computer desk in the house, built into the wall and also made it so everything was hidden away because he's one of those "wires are messy" and so if you had to do anything that involved getting to a wire, it was a chore.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDs8fdwQ40w

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The tracking adjustment at the start adds a special something

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The one-two lunch of Tom Kenny and Wayne Knight is :eyepop:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I wonder if Jill and Tom were dating at this point, or if this is where they met.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My parents had (and still have) a fancy rolling desk that is a fixture. Not entirely sure what mom uses it for but it's still there.

Not this specific one but a similar design. Pretty sure their's wasn't thousands of dollars either.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You definitely had cheap versions of them, but i guess the 'original' ones were pretty expensive.
My dad has one with a flip open lid.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My parents had (and still have) a fancy rolling desk that is a fixture. Not entirely sure what mom uses it for but it's still there.

Not this specific one but a similar design. Pretty sure their's wasn't thousands of dollars either.

My mom has one of these too, she always called it a secretary desk. It's really meant for hand-written correspondance and such, since they've rarely got enough space for anything as large as a typewriter and definitely not a computer, so (nowadays, anyway) it's not really suited for being a "working" desk as much as a statement piece.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, my grandfather had one of those desks from the mid-70s in his office and used it for stuff like going through all his mail, banking and financial stuff, and building model aircraft.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My mom had this GIGANTIC L-shaped desk for a few years. Imagine something like this:

Mixed with

Gonz posted:

The thing was large enough to partition off sections of our living room at the time. I kinda want an L-desk (I'd like to have a little more desk space, and one of those blotter calendars that for some reason i've always associated with being important), but I like my current standing desk too much to change.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Heath posted:

My mom has one of these too, she always called it a secretary desk. It's really meant for hand-written correspondance and such, since they've rarely got enough space for anything as large as a typewriter and definitely not a computer, so (nowadays, anyway) it's not really suited for being a "working" desk as much as a statement piece.

My dad had an actual rolltop one he used for storing coins he'd run put on railroad tracks.

That's all I remember it being for, that and bills and such. Dad stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

My dad had an actual rolltop one he used for storing coins he'd run put on railroad tracks.

That's all I remember it being for, that and bills and such. Dad stuff.

Reminds me of those machines at amusement parks that would take a penny and smoosh it into an oval shape with a different design, usually the park mascot.

Never see them anymore, not sure how they were legal either since you were destroying or defacing a coin.

Edit: Apparently they're still around and plentiful, 3,300 or so. Guess I just don't go anywhere anymore

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Jul 28, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Neito posted:

The thing was large enough to partition off sections of our living room at the time. I kinda want an L-desk (I'd like to have a little more desk space, and one of those blotter calendars that for some reason i've always associated with being important), but I like my current standing desk too much to change.
My step-dad had something similar, except it was more v-shaped and had to be put in the corner of the room and would extend down the nearby walls. We jokingly called in the Command Center. He still has the main corner desk piece but sold of the extension parts some years ago. Even without the extra pieces it's still gently caress huge

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Reminds me of those machines at amusement parks that would take a penny and smoosh it into an oval shape with a different design, usually the park mascot.

Never see them anymore, not sure how they were legal either since you were destroying or defacing a coin.

Edit: Apparently they're still around and plentiful, 3,300 or so. Guess I just don't go anywhere anymore

Defacing/destroying currency is only illegal if you do it in an attempt to defraud. Smashing a penny or drawing a cigarette in George Washington's is perfectly fine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just once I want to get one of those Snake Plissken $5 bills

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Most Americans can't afford to destroy money. Even pennies.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I can. With my rear end.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

They shut down the money hole?!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I can. With my rear end.

Hell yeah, rear end Pennies.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I still use a 90s desk that my dad bought as bare wood then finished himself. The big unibody shelf thing that you put printers and whatnot on came off pretty easily, one of the drawers went missing more than a decade ago, and the rollout keyboard tray's a bit of a tell, but that aside it's just a big flat desk with a circle carved in it from a Dell CRT that was entirely too heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I have a very specific memory of my parents getting our first computer in 97/98 and shopping for a roll top desk for it. In one of the catalogs, they had desks that looked like a normal roll top, but had a space underneath to hold a CRT so that it was hidden beneath the surface and tilted up with a piece of glass covering it.

Outside of the terrible ergonomics I can’t imagine they were a hot seller since GIS doesn’t turn up any pics of one in action, just this one without a monitor.