Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

R. Mute posted:

:hai:

i also love its inbred european cousin (and hometown hero) ugly belgian houses

number 3 seems perfectly fine, I particularly love the total lack of lawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

do u mean engineered floor, or luxury vinyl plank
they make LVP with wood veneer in it now so it looks more like wood than the stuff that’s literally printed fake wood patterns

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That 5th pic looks like a modern luxury renovated entrance to a concentration camp

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
this thread has become a Darn Bore imo

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

C-SPAM › The housing market - Houssy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

im not a bathroomologist but i don’t think sliding shower doors cost 10 grand, barn or not.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/MAAX-Utile-Ash-Grey-5-Piece-Alcove-Shower-Kit-Common-32-in-x-60-in-Actual-32-in-x-59-875-in/1000211477

Add on demo, replumbing the new alcove, labor, etc. and you're clearing 10k easy for that.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Car worth more than the house

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mark immune posted:

this thread has become a Darn Bore imo

the premise is a bit boring to start with

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

err posted:

Car worth more than the house

Yuuuup. Welcome to the white trash west.

You can't even reliably move it to your own land in that area without dumping $40k into a well (700-900ft there) and another $30k for a handful of acres within range of an electric pole. Also another $8k for septic.

And then it wouldn't meet the minimum square footage for the county (600sqft), so you would have to expand it or be limited to camping time frames (30 days on property, 90 off).

It's a nice little trailer you can't move anywhere but to little lots zoned for less than 600sqft houses that hold their residents hostage with lot rents.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

R. Mute posted:

:hai:

i also love its inbred european cousin (and hometown hero) ugly belgian houses

made me think of this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kreeningsons posted:

do u mean engineered floor, or luxury vinyl plank

neither, the core is HDF, not actual wood like engineered hardwood, or PVC like LVP

I didn't want LVP because it can have issues with discoloring in direct sunlight, and I have SW facing windows

i could have done engineered because you can float it, but did not realize that at the time. but the laminate I got has worked out very well! and it has a water-resistant layer which is nice for spills

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jul 15, 2022

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

my uncle built his home from cinder blocks, that still a thing?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nonsense posted:

regionally, lotta those in south Florida

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Sounds especially good for earthquake prone areas. Just spend a few hours stacking it up and you’re good to go!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I keep seeing this in the thrifty nickel I pick up at the laundromat:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

yeah the cost of installing a entirely new shower is more than the cost of putting in a door

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

could mean the only ones selling are higher end properties for $250k+ household incomes, while 'normal homes' are sitting unsold due to evaporated demand from sub-six figure households.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

See you when you're back at $10,000 :lol:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

See you when you're back at $10,000 :lol:

a lot can change in 23 years such as lining the kitchen cabinents with 400k of gold bars

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What he gently caress kind of house was selling for 10k in 1999

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

30.5 Days posted:

My guess is that this was an empty lot on the periphery and now it is not.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

30.5 Days posted:

Probably something like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/203-1st-Ave-SE-Wells-MN-56097/128508292_zpid/

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh boy central air

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh it might have ac, but it's definitely not going to work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh boy central air

I just put central air in my 1907 house

works out pretty good, I was spending $210/mo in the summer for AC with two window units and a portable, now I'm spending $170/mo at the height of summer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I just put central air in my 1907 house

works out pretty good, I was spending $210/mo in the summer for AC with two window units and a portable, now I'm spending $170/mo at the height of summer

last summer we replaced the a/c unit and all the ductwork, which was crappy out of date stuff and according to the guy in charge filled with decades of old people skin (house is from '75). he seemed legit disgusted by the idea of living with old ducts

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last summer we replaced the a/c unit and all the ductwork, which was crappy out of date stuff and according to the guy in charge filled with decades of old people skin (house is from '75). he seemed legit disgusted by the idea of living with old ducts

you got took dude

Apr 7, 2003

My ducts were put in the house in the fifties. They're fine

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

They talked you into ripping the ducts out and putting in new ones?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The housing market - decades of old people skin

Apr 7, 2003

This place went up for sale around the corner from me

Not a bad profit for just living somewhere for 18 years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

They talked you into ripping the ducts out and putting in new ones?

we have new, better insulated ones now manufactured this century, yes

they used a crane to get the new a/c unit onto the side of the house and to get the old one out, lifted them straight through the crown of a big tree to do it too it was cool as hell

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we have new, better insulated ones now manufactured this century, yes

they used a crane to get the new a/c unit onto the side of the house and to get the old one out, lifted them straight through the crown of a big tree to do it too it was cool as hell

Good move, sheet metal technology has come a long way. You got the undercoating and extended warranty too, right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lil poopendorfer posted:

Good move, sheet metal technology has come a long way. You got the undercoating and extended warranty too, right?

Duct work doesn't have to be entirely sheet metal. Plenty of large insulated hoses out there. But there is insulated metal ductwork, double walled with foamboard in between. Not the worst idea if building new. Better in the ductwork than under the stairs.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Duct work doesn't have to be entirely sheet metal. Plenty of large insulated hoses out there. But there is insulated metal ductwork, double walled with foamboard in between. Not the worst idea if building new. Better in the ductwork than under the stairs.

Flexible ducts are for short runs in accessible areas .. they restrict air flow more than rigid ducts and have to be replaced with time.

As far as insulting the rigid ducts - It’s totally unnecessary unless the duct is running through an uninsulated space, such as an attic or a crawlspace. Like, what would you be trying to insulate from—the ambient temperature of your house?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My assumption would be attic or crawlspace, if you're on a concrete pad and the attic is finished or doesn't exist, then of course it doesn't make sense to insulate the ductwork.

But I've lived in Memphis with an uninsulated attic and you bet your rear end I taped up every leak I could find in that goddamn space.

E: that house also had flexible duct as permanent. lovely builders use lovely tactics.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lil poopendorfer posted:

Like, what would you be trying to insulate from—the ambient temperature of your house?

Yes? The point of AC is to lower the ambient temperature in a particular location, not to blow in air that’s the same ambient temperature as wherever the ducts in your house run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol