Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dexo posted:

lol definitely not a scam.

People get what they paid for. And It's not particularly easy to find a GM, otherwise I wouldn't end up GMing for literally any game in any friend group either online or offline, in order to play a game.

I get not wanting to participate in it, or it not being something you'd not be down for as far as having a hobby turn into a like something that either makes money or you spend money to enjoy, but It's just someone performing a service for you and others. Calling it a scam seems a bit silly.

Do paid games have more stability than free games? That is a reason I'd at least consider. I figure at least the GM would show up to get their pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Arrrthritis posted:

Not even a category for 4e D&D smh

Don't you know you're the grognards now? That's OSR.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Paid GMing isn't a scam, though it's something I don't think many people could turn into a career, but what you're basically "selling" is (presumably) your own skills and experience prepping for and running a game for people who specifically want that. It's frankly not any weirder than "hey man if you run a game for us we'll buy the pizza and beer," it's transactional either way, one is just more direct about it, and especially these days as we continue to live through The Event, I would wager it's actually not as easy for most people to just casually throw together a TRPG group as it maybe used to be. Also, even before there was a virus running rampant, if we're being honest here the whole "find a GM off the game store community flyer board" was always a crapshoot. There's no guarantee a paid GM will inherently be good or non-lovely but they're generally much more up-front about what they're offering, what they'll run, how many players they'll take, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO it's not that different from organizing a party at your house vs. hiring a party planner. There's undoubtedly far more parties that were just organized by the host, but there's also a niche for paid party planners and there's nothing inherently wrong with hiring one. You do however have some expectation of professionalism when you hire someone to organize or run a social event for you.

Or perhaps a more apt comparison would be hiring a clown to attend your kid's party...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There were absolutely some weirdos and scams before it got more mainstream. I'm particularly thinking of the professional Dungeon Master who wore his very professional (and terrifying) mask in your house.

It seems weird to me that VTT services are looked at as another revenue stream instead of a promotional cost for the company to eat. Your customer base is limited to the player base, you can't only benefit by expanding that by any means necessary. Maybe defray operating costs with microtransactions like pretty dice effects or premium subs.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

IMO it's not that different from organizing a party at your house vs. hiring a party planner. There's undoubtedly far more parties that were just organized by the host, but there's also a niche for paid party planners and there's nothing inherently wrong with hiring one. You do however have some expectation of professionalism when you hire someone to organize or run a social event for you.

Or perhaps a more apt comparison would be hiring a clown to attend your kid's party...

When you put it that way, I guess people have made livings selling much worse services than DMing a tabletop game. :shrug:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I can't escape the feeling that paying for a GM is like paying someone to be your friend. Which is probably unfair an unfair comparison, but that's where my mind goes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Do these matchmaking/paid-GM services have much flexibility in terms of schedule? My fiance and I work nights, and if a paid service would actually let us find games running at times we could make, that might be worth it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Colonel Cool posted:

I can't escape the feeling that paying for a GM is like paying someone to be your friend. Which is probably unfair an unfair comparison, but that's where my mind goes.

I end up thinking of paid [GMing] as akin to paying for a [fishing guide/sex worker/telephone psychic]. You get what you want right now - [a D&D adventure/a nice fishing trip/sex/a conversation], but there's zero chance of it ever becoming anything more than a paid transaction. Sometimes all you need is a fishing trip, sometimes you want to make a fishing buddy, but once you add money to the equation you're probably not taking it back out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Colonel Cool posted:

I get it but yeah it's just a transaction, like you pay for you and your kids to go to chuck e cheese, where they have built and structured an environment to have fun in. Paid DMing is the same.

There's a chance that you get into some weird attachment poo poo, but it's not particularly looked upon well, like if someone got *too* attached to a Nanny or Maid. Ironically that is why one of my paid groups blew up, because some super weird social situations occurred. The DM just canceled the game, and moved on. But that type of stuff can happen in any group, probably a bit easier to sever like that when it's just a transaction and not a real friend group with a long history.

Antivehicular posted:

Do these matchmaking/paid-GM services have much flexibility in terms of schedule? My fiance and I work nights, and if a paid service would actually let us find games running at times we could make, that might be worth it.

Yeah, you can find games at almost anytime, might be a brit or aussie, but yeah.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There are definitely some weirdnesses to paid GMing like parasociality and boundaries and expectations, but tbh it's kind of much of a muchness with a lot of the other expectations that come from non-paid friend group GMing with regards to expectations of prep, learning systems, as has been brought up the whole "buying the VTT sub" thing (or the more classic "buying the Monster Manual and DMG since players won't be doing that), questions of hosting, meal/snacks expenses, etc. So you're kind of just trading one set of social navigations to have to make for another.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

I end up thinking of paid [GMing] as akin to paying for a [fishing guide/sex worker/telephone psychic]. You get what you want right now - [a D&D adventure/a nice fishing trip/sex/a conversation], but there's zero chance of it ever becoming anything more than a paid transaction. Sometimes all you need is a fishing trip, sometimes you want to make a fishing buddy, but once you add money to the equation you're probably not taking it back out.

so i'm going to expound verbosely and boringly on this a bit, particularly in response to Kai Tave's post just now. I really like this analogy because it gets to the heart of the specific thing that I (and I think many people) find to be... weird? perhaps even actively offputting? about the idea of paying a GM - it turns an activity that typically occurs within the boundaries of friendship into one that happens within the boundaries of 'employment' or 'commerical arrangement' or some such word.

That's not to say that friendship is free of social navigations that need to be made, even ones involving the exchange of money. If a friend gives you a lift somewhere you might want to cover their gas. If you're eating a meal with some friends you'd probably split the bill, possibly based on the amount everyone ate or possibly just equally. If one person ate a lot more than anyone else, they might pay more. If (say) it's an expensive restaurant and one person is a lot poorer than the others they might have their portion covered by the rest of the group, even if they don't ask for it. And any and all of these interactions could become awkward or unpleasant or result in conflict if a person handled them poorly - possibly by acting in a way that seemed to be taking advantage of the generosity of one's friends (say, if the poor person whose meal will probably be paid for by the others insists on going to the most expensive restaurant possible because that way they're getting the most expensive food for no money) or possibly by acting in a way that is *too* generous (e.g, if one person insisted on paying for everyone else's meal, even against their protests, they might appear to be trying to show off their wealth or of buying the others's friendship).

But just because there are some social navigations, even social 'transactions' involving money that occur as part of a friendship, doesn't mean that every exchange of money can occur within a friendship without changing the nature of the relationship. It's a blurry line and obviously exceptions exist in some circumstances. But I would say, in general, that the people I pay money to (or who pay me money) are not my friends. My boss is not my friend. My landlord is not my friend (if my landlord was my friend he wouldn't be about to evict me if I stopped paying him rent). A cab driver is not my friend, and he's not giving me a lift because he's my friend, he's giving me a lift because I'm paying him. I know, and he knows, that even if he thought I was a rude idiot he'd still give me a lift because that's his job and he needs to feed his family. I don't dislike the people I interact with commercially, and some of them I would probably be friends with under other circumstances, but the fact that our relationship is fundamentally commercial makes the possibility of a simultaneous friendship awkward and weird. There is an inherent power dynamic that doesn't exist between friends, or at least doesn't exist to anywhere near the same degree.

I don't think the expectations and social boundaries of friendship are much of a muchness with the expectations and social boundaries of a commercial relationship. I just don't. I don't think that you can just swap one for the other and say that the situation is no worse. I'm not saying 'nobody should ever be willing to pay for a GM' or that doing so is a betrayal of the concept of friendship or anything like that. But I guess I am saying that if you're paying your GM, your GM is probably not - probably can't be - your friend. And for (at least) me and (I think) many people, your tabletop RPG group are sort of assumedly your friends, or at least strangers who you are going to become friends with once you get to know them. Playing TTRPGs together *is* friendship. The idea of swapping that out for a commercial relationship feels like swapping out one's friend for a paid employee.

again, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I am saying that if you do it, then you say "well, there's not really any difference, it's the same activity as a friend GMing just with slightly different expectations!" then... that feels weird in a way that I can't help but want to disagree with, because it implies the equivalence of friendship and commercial relationships in a way that I just don't think is accurate to the world we live in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, even aside from issues like lovely internet personalities charging hundreds for a seat, the very idea of turning a social experience into a transactional one makes the game feel more like a commodity or a service instead of a hobby.

Just like plumbing, you might get a better outcome from paying a professional, but it’s more fun to watch your friends play around in poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

a computing pun posted:

*snip*

I don't think the expectations and social boundaries of friendship are much of a muchness with the expectations and social boundaries of a commercial relationship. I just don't. I don't think that you can just swap one for the other and say that the situation is no worse. I'm not saying 'nobody should ever be willing to pay for a GM' or that doing so is a betrayal of the concept of friendship or anything like that. But I guess I am saying that if you're paying your GM, your GM is probably not - probably can't be - your friend. And for (at least) me and (I think) many people, your tabletop RPG group are sort of assumedly your friends, or at least strangers who you are going to become friends with once you get to know them. Playing TTRPGs together *is* friendship. The idea of swapping that out for a commercial relationship feels like swapping out one's friend for a paid employee.

again, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I am saying that if you do it, then you say "well, there's not really any difference, it's the same activity as a friend GMing just with slightly different expectations!" then... that feels weird in a way that I can't help but want to disagree with, because it implies the equivalence of friendship and commercial relationships in a way that I just don't think is accurate to the world we live in.

I mean, it is the same activity. Just without the friendship social structure layered over it.

No one is saying there is some equivalence in friendship and commercial relationship. They are completely two separate things, someone could be both but they don't have to be.

I just don't think the base action "playing a tabletop game with some people" needs to have the tag "be friends" over it.

Like I have played at Cons with randos, I would not call any of those people my friends, I have ran one shots for people in rando discords, none of them I consider friends. Cool and nice people, yes, but friends absolutely not.

I may have a stricter definition of friends than you, but like at the point where the relationship is simply "be friendly and nice to another for a period of time" then that extremely can coexist with paying for a service(should be the defauilt?).

I think paying for a service, and being friends can coexist on it's face, as like I'm paying a family friend his normal rate to fix my floors and walls at my old house, and there is no problem there, as like we are grown rear end adults, and can talk out any problems as they arise if they should arise.

The notion of playing TTRPG's together being friendship to me is a far more dangerous statement than anything involving being friends and doing commercial services with one another.

The Idea that just because I played a game with you, for 4 hours and we were cool and had fun, means that I know anything about you as a person, or anything going on in your life outside of what came up in those 4 hours is to me silly. As that info is like core to friendship for me.

I'm tired, it's late, I'm sorry if this comes off mean, I really don't mean for it to. I'm just explaining my thoughts stream of consciousness style.

Edit: Once again to clarify, I get if it's something that doesn't interest you, or seems unfun or something like that. But just explaining where I disagree with you.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 20, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It just depends on what you want in a tabletop RPG and what draws you to the activity.

I personally can't see myself ever going for a paid GM since for me playing tabletop RPGs is definitely something I only like to do with friends. Aside from my preferences I really don't see anything weird with paid GMing, if anything it's a good thing that a bunch of people can make a living doing it and the players get to play a game they probably otherwise wouldn't be able to play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To be clear I don't think paid GMing and friend GMing are 1-1 identical, I just think that in terms of circumstances to navigate and social mores and other things, that they both come with that stuff, just different varieties of that stuff. Like of course a paid GM isn't your friend, but it's also pretty hosed up that the default expectation for being the GM of a friend group is "of course they'll buy the books we don't want to, do all the prep work, pay for VTT subscriptions, etc" and I think that gets glossed over a bit too quickly throughout the hobby as a whole.

GMs are in fact expected to put in extra work and extra money in order to participate within the same hobby where it's just a given that 3-4 other people in the friend group will not, perhaps ever, and that's considered perfectly normal and just the way of things. Given the extent of all that frequently unexamined additional work and out of pocket expenditures GMs are tacitly expected to shoulder to participate in the hobby (which also, let's be clear here, comes with a bunch of its own baggage of the "well I can't find anyone to run a game for me, guess I have to GM or give up on roleplaying" variety, another thing that's considered Just The Way Things Are which a bunch of people take for granted), I do not personally feel like paid GMing is some super weird thing that upends the existing 100% equitable dynamic.

e; and to be clear, a bunch of these unexamined assumptions come from the games themselves. Traditional TRPG design puts all the onus of prepwork on the GM's shoulders. D&D sells you three core rulebooks, two of which players are unlikely to need to purchase. There are games which mitigate and minimize these things, self-contained books and games where players are given more of the responsibilities traditionally given over entirely to the GM, but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the elephant in the room that the most popular and pervasive elfgaming out there is still good ol' D&D, which is as GM-burdening and GM-expense-oriented as they come.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 20, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

My only issue with paid GMing is that… it just doesn’t make any sense with the groups I have. Our games work because they’re developed (characters/world/stories) by us and for us, and the GM is just one of the 4-6 people involved in that. A GM that didn’t know us would be strange, and I can’t imagine what they could bring to the table that could overcome that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

admanb posted:

My only issue with paid GMing is that… it just doesn’t make any sense with the groups I have. Our games work because they’re developed (characters/world/stories) by us and for us, and the GM is just one of the 4-6 people involved in that. A GM that didn’t know us would be strange, and I can’t imagine what they could bring to the table that could overcome that.

Like a lot of things, I don't think paid GMing could possibly be for everyone, but a lot of people don't have real same-wavelength friend groups that are also TRPG groups, or they can't find a GM who wants to and/or knows how to run a particular game. How many stories are there about "I'd love to play [GAME] but the GM only runs D&D and Pathfinder, and if I GM [GAME] then I don't get to play it myself," well with paid GMing there is in theory an answer to that, in much the same way that you might normally go to a convention to play a con game, only instead you pay the game to come to you. I don't think anyone wants or expects paid GMing to replace the usual "get some nerds together and play a game" thing, more that the very notion of paid GMing is no longer simply the provenance of grognards.txt stories about weirdos with Dungeon Master Masks.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kai Tave posted:

To be clear I don't think paid GMing and friend GMing are 1-1 identical, I just think that in terms of circumstances to navigate and social mores and other things, that they both come with that stuff, just different varieties of that stuff. Like of course a paid GM isn't your friend, but it's also pretty hosed up that the default expectation for being the GM of a friend group is "of course they'll buy the books we don't want to, do all the prep work, pay for VTT subscriptions, etc" and I think that gets glossed over a bit too quickly throughout the hobby as a whole.

GMs are in fact expected to put in extra work and extra money in order to participate within the same hobby where it's just a given that 3-4 other people in the friend group will not, perhaps ever, and that's considered perfectly normal and just the way of things. Given the extent of all that frequently unexamined additional work and out of pocket expenditures GMs are tacitly expected to shoulder to participate in the hobby (which also, let's be clear here, comes with a bunch of its own baggage of the "well I can't find anyone to run a game for me, guess I have to GM or give up on roleplaying" variety, another thing that's considered Just The Way Things Are which a bunch of people take for granted), I do not personally feel like paid GMing is some super weird thing that upends the existing 100% equitable dynamic.

e; and to be clear, a bunch of these unexamined assumptions come from the games themselves. Traditional TRPG design puts all the onus of prepwork on the GM's shoulders. D&D sells you three core rulebooks, two of which players are unlikely to need to purchase. There are games which mitigate and minimize these things, self-contained books and games where players are given more of the responsibilities traditionally given over entirely to the GM, but at the same time it's impossible to ignore the elephant in the room that the most popular and pervasive elfgaming out there is still good ol' D&D, which is as GM-burdening and GM-expense-oriented as they come.

I was trying to wrangle a post into being but it was just this but worse.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

Like a lot of things, I don't think paid GMing could possibly be for everyone, but a lot of people don't have real same-wavelength friend groups that are also TRPG groups, or they can't find a GM who wants to and/or knows how to run a particular game. How many stories are there about "I'd love to play [GAME] but the GM only runs D&D and Pathfinder, and if I GM [GAME] then I don't get to play it myself," well with paid GMing there is in theory an answer to that....

Except that paid GMs have to basically run just D&D and Pathfinder in order to be popular enough to be a going concern.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
has anyone said findm yet?

ok, bye.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hyphz posted:

Except that paid GMs have to basically run just D&D and Pathfinder in order to be popular enough to be a going concern.

If I was paid GMing then yeah I would expect those to comprise most of my work, but I'd also make it clear that I'm willing to run less mainstream systems on request if only for my own sanity

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tarnop posted:

If I was paid GMing then yeah I would expect those to comprise most of my work, but I'd also make it clear that I'm willing to run less mainstream systems on request if only for my own sanity

https://startplaying.games/request-custom

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tarnop posted:

And that's fair, but from the players' point of view it might not be ideal because of the different skill perceptions of game. If someone is primarily advertising running Curse of Strahd or whatever in D&D 5e with "other systems" as a sidenote, it doesn't appear to me that they would be all that good at running Glitch - even if actually they would be, and they were only advertising Strahd because that's what sells. It's probably an adverse selection variant of some kind.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1549479240390901760?t=u6G4A0NNrbub8u9GFuzJsQ&s=19

Well then.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Please not about sub races within humans."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
What's the next level beyond "mask off?" Because god drat that is some Myfarog level poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Nordics and Greys are well established in real life UFO lore, so that's not totally unexplained - but holy gently caress.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Saw this yesterday and it’s still gross today. Not unexpected but super gross.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
See you got the real obvious racism which draws attention away from the implied triple brackets around the David Icke lizard people right above.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Truly the pit is bottomless.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

moths posted:

The Nordics and Greys are well established in real life UFO lore, so that's not totally unexplained - but holy gently caress.

I'm sorry, there's a race of Nazi supermen that's well established in real UFO lore? What?

Also:

I thought humans were extinct or something? Make up your minds!

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
So if you can make it past 96 hours of no sleep you're good for the next month and change, that seems right

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm sorry, there's a race of Nazi supermen that's well established in real UFO lore? What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_aliens

Basically a weak visual shorthand for the "Good" aliens was making them tall white humans and that turned into a Thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes a lot of very old UFO lore said that the things driving them looked like big nordic white people. UFO encounters didn't start describing the the pilots as little green men or greys until after the Barney and Betty Hill case blew up in the media. By pure coincidence I'm sure the Outer Limits episode with these guys in it predates the Hills describing their abductors.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Welp, uh, okay. Learned something today.

Anyways, the trick is to stay awake for 1023 hours. They can't touch you.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Notahippie posted:

That's my major takeaway. From what I can tell, two whole-rear end businesses both discussed a deal and then actually exchanged money and resources without a signed contract specifying what exactly they were agreeing on. I get that wargames are a hobbyist thing, but that's still kind of astounding - you'd think at least one of them would have said "wait, before I give you my stuff let's write down what we're agreeing to in order to make sure we're on the same page." Even if you don't want to get the lawyers involved, it seems like you should at least have something to point to where both parties agree to something - instead both parties are showing emails where they're negotiating, but no email where both parties are saying "yes, I agree to the last terms proposed"

I wonder if both sides intentionally left it vague thinking that they would somehow outsmart the other. Only to find out they were both trying to do the same thing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1549555522323496960

I know all the secret rituals of ANTIFA and BLM

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1549564809217204224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
poo poo written by racists always reads like it was written by a 14 year old.