Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I've lived in Oklahoma and Nebraska. I know from the Midwest. Never met anyone there as aggressively lacking in melanin as El Musko.

Oklahoma is not the loving Midwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Anything that doesn't have coast is the Midwest, sorry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Soul Dentist posted:

Anything that doesn't have coast is the Midwest, sorry

But is Pennsylvania Midwest?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Yes, except for the Civilized Enclaves of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
What about the shithole known as Tennessee? I know Shim and I live in Memphis so do we get some kind of credit for having river access?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

crazyivan45 posted:

What about the shithole known as Tennessee? I know Shim and I live in Memphis so do we get some kind of credit for having river access?

Anywhere that seceded is the South.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

:hmmyes:' Although I will add that any one state can fall under multiple regions.

Louisiana is in The South, but it's also Gulf Coast. Virginia is Mid-Atlantic and South.

Oklahoma is Great Plains and the Pits of Hell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stultus Maximus posted:

Doesn't that make WV the Southwest then?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No, too much cousin banging.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

West Virginia seceded,

from Virginia.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I really don't know actually! The only Republican Senate backlash is "waaah why aren't we fighting inflation this is just democrats appeasing their base instead of doing things". No telling what happens if Schumer calls it up for a vote.

But that said, this bill and/or federal law can't exactly backstop things if the supreme court does their thing again:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1549570046753734656

But it sure does help getting that piece of poo poo Defense of Marriage Act out of federal law, so it's still something that should be called up.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Nope due to coast. Tennessee is Midwest and gets huge Midwest points for somebody thinking that creek access or the the ol Mississip' counts as coast. Gulf coast is all the south and that's what makes it the south rather than the east or west. Union states are divided into the Midwest or "good oysters". Confederate states are divided into Midwest or "produces oil" (aka "bad oysters"). Great lakes extremely don't count as coast. Appalachia and the Great Plains are squares to the Midwest rectangle. Florida is a bad oyster southern state which is why it's so ratchet. Louisiana doesn't count as coastal because without the Army Corps of Engineers it would be a sand bar full of (you guessed it) bad oysters leading all the way to the Yucatan

P.S. Maine has worse mosquitoes than the northern Midwestern states (yes, Wisconsin Michigan and Minnesota i mean you) and also black flies.

P.P.S. Kansas City and Kansas City should be forced to conjoin and then secede to Mexico, making the Chiefs the first Mexican NFL team while the Raiders should be forced to play on top of the Hoover Dam and regulate water flow back to northern CA.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

crazyivan45 posted:

You's in da South.

Memphis is slowly eroding from my memory. I left 7 years ago, after living there for 5 years. That place is a bit more intense now.

You didn't even mention the navy base in Millington. That might get you more coastal recognition than the river itself.

E: what in Bigfoot's name did I just read? Tennessee is the South. They seceded. They have a whole lot of assholes flying that dumbass confederate flag. They identify as the South and are proud of it.

You can maybe claim Kentucky is Midwest. Maybe. But not Tennessee.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 20, 2022

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Soul Dentist posted:

Great lakes extremely don't count as coast.

Now here’s some grade-a pedantry.

Midwest has been and always will be a bullshit category. Even back in the 18th century when it meant anything west of the Appalachians (which would make California also Midwest).

It’s not hard. You’ve got the East and West Coasts, the South, the Great Lakes, the Great Plaines and the Southwest.

There, done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thwomp posted:

Now here’s some grade-a pedantry.

Midwest has been and always will be a bullshit category. Even back in the 18th century when it meant anything west of the Appalachians (which would make California also Midwest).

It’s not hard. You’ve got the East and West Coasts, the South, the Great Lakes, the Great Plaines and the Southwest.

There, done.

Idaho

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Great Plaines with West Coast characteristics.

Kentucky is in a similar spot, Great Lakes with Southern characteristics.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think the better categorization is Ny, cali, hawaii, then the fly over states. Washington? North cali. Mass? The northeast flyover part of Ny. Vermont is reabsorbed into the NY greater coprosperity sphere. Same with ct. And then that's all the states that matter

Stravag fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Great Plaines with West Coast characteristics.

Kentucky is in a similar spot, Great Lakes with Southern characteristics.

I live in Kentucky and it's the Midwest, sorry. To get to the nearest Great Lake you drive through (ugh) Ohio which is also the Midwest.

If assholes flying the stars and bars makes something southern then Maine and every other state is southern

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bring back the Old Northwest to distinguish from the Plains states :colbert:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

crazyivan45 posted:

Hey man I can’t PM you, are you on discord or got an email address I can use?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Soul Dentist posted:

I live in Kentucky and it's the Midwest, sorry. To get to the nearest Great Lake you drive through (ugh) Ohio which is also the Midwest.

If assholes flying the stars and bars makes something southern then Maine and every other state is southern

Billy Joe Bob Jr flag aside, the Ohio river serves as a geographic boundary between KY and the midwest. However, KYs history during the civil war of being neutral, then Union, means it's not southern. Also politically being, well, mixed instead of dominated by complete regressive types like Tennessee to the south.

Kentucky is a mixed bag, it can fold into either midwest (politically) or the South (geographically). Generally I'll agree it's midwest, but that's more for historical reasons, not it's position on the map. It's a transition state, appalachia in the east, rolling hills out west.

Idiots flying flags live everywhere. Just the propensity of people in the "South" to have the idiot flag is a lot higher. Sure some moron is probably flying one in Hawaii, but that doesn't make it the South. Like when you drive through Palestine, Arkansas and some rear end in a top hat is flying the Israeli flag. Doesn't make it Israel.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I live in the transition part that is the most Midwestern. Western Kentucky is more southern (its own barbecue style!) And Eastern is definitely Appalachia. As a whole it averages out. For an interesting read that i don't agree with the conclusion of, check out How Kentucky Became Southern

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Coming from Louisiana to Oklahoma and then Texas, Oklahoma did not feel like part of the south at all. East / coastal Texas felt like it a bit though. Spending a few weeks in Ohio felt way more like being in Oklahoma again so I always just lumped OK in with the midwest, ie >95% white, lovely food, same local pride in ignorance etc etc.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've lived in SC my whole life and there were way more traitor rags flying in the void between Rochester and Syracuse than I've ever seen at home

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Works posted:

Coming from Louisiana to Oklahoma and then Texas, Oklahoma did not feel like part of the south at all. East / coastal Texas felt like it a bit though. Spending a few weeks in Ohio felt way more like being in Oklahoma again so I always just lumped OK in with the midwest, ie >95% white, lovely food, same local pride in ignorance etc etc.

Yeah OK is not the South at all. TX is as far west as Houston/Dallas (more so Dallas than Houston IMO), but not so much by the time you reach Austin/San Antonio.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wise man say Texas east of the brazos is south, otherwise it's own thing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah that goddamn flag is everywhere. You really can't escape it anywhere in the US, it's such a symbol of proud ignorance.

OK is a plains state, not the south.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Memphis is nice if your willing to pay to live in the nice neighborhoods or outlying cities. I bought just before the latest boom and my house has more than doubled in value.

Can’t say the weather is for everyone but I sit outside in it and it doesn’t bother me. The humidity is a motherfucker but you get used to it.

You do not get used to $440 ounces of mid tier weed, however. Goddamn we need to legalize this poo poo.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Hey man I can’t PM you, are you on discord or got an email address I can use?

Drop me an email: cadenasa@gmail.com

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah that tracks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That Works posted:

I recently came back from a trip to Wisconsin. The major complaint that the wife and I had was how bad the food was. Everything was either grossly under seasoned or had a ton of salt. Almost everything was deep fried and/or over cooked.

Since being back (after our quarantine period and testing negative since we were exposed) we've been on a kick of going to local places and ordering what we thought was sub par in WI and comparing. We have learned that Texas believes in seasoning, cooking properly, and that "spicy" isn't a thing that should be shunned.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

More on my optimism that I mentioned earlier:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1549758149963485192?t=yIPgMXB1M05RVXmvrZVZmA&s=19

Schumer should call it up for a vote, gently caress it.

Edit: yeah, loving do it

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1549766960652722178?t=0ei-jBrtZtWpMCOpQIsGBQ&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 20, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh wow, we might get a vote that closely echoes the will of the people, crazy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What a cool system glad we overrepresent a bunch of empty land in Congress to decide this stuff instead of just cutting out the middle man and using what people actually want

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Oh wow, we might get a vote that closely echoes the will of the people, crazy.

I’ll believe it when I see it

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

maffew buildings posted:

What a cool system glad we overrepresent a bunch of empty land in Congress to decide this stuff instead of just cutting out the middle man and using what people actually want

Excuse me but that empty land deserves a seat at the table. Otherwise why did our founders, in their infinite and indisputable wisdom, give votes ONLY to owners of empty land?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We need patriots to move to Wyoming, and Alaska, and the Dakotas, and Montana!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

We need patriots to move to Wyoming, and Alaska, and the Dakotas, and Montana!

You go first. We're right behind you.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

The divide between Southern and Western splits right down the middle of the DFW airport. Dallas is a Southern city; Fort Worth is a Western one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Texas is only the south in east texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JREkqCvLzSo

I'm a panhandle native, and he's right, we're forgotten.