Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mr. Nice! posted:

i bought a brother laser for home use in 2013 when i started law school. this motherfucker is still trucking and will be replaced with a near identical model whenever it finally gives up the ghost.

my only regret in buying a brother laser printer is i didn't get a color model because this one will last forever

Sniep posted:

i can't imagine playing commander keen on anything but a gravis gamepad (no stick in the middle (long lost))

that stick randomly reappeared and it took losing it again to realize what it was for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what should i look for when buying a tablet? i want one for reading cookbooks and magazines at home and watching cartoons & playing khan academy kids on road trips. i can't buy a apple for religious reasons so ipad responses will be ignored

all my ebooks are on android play and poo poo so there is no way i'm going outside of the android ecosystem

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

what should i look for when buying a tablet? i want one for reading cookbooks and magazines at home and watching cartoons & playing khan academy kids on road trips. i can't buy a apple for religious reasons so ipad responses will be ignored

all my ebooks are on android play and poo poo so there is no way i'm going outside of the android ecosystem

ipad is the only tablet worth spending money on, google did abandon android tablets as a device category years ago

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my ipad pro 13 is very needs suiting.

my friend has a paperscreen on hers, and i'm getting one of those because it feels so nice writing with the apple pen on it. wonderful texture.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we have whatever the cheapest current ipad is and a lenovo 10” tablet (one tablet for each kid). the ipad is lighter, has a better screen, has a much nicer UI that doesn’t feel laggy, and Just Works

The lenovo (it’s an m10 apparently) one is heavy af, clunky to use, and has a much faster draining battery. but it was 1/3rd the cost

hth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

the computer problem, is u

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

it doesn’t matter because it’s a barely supported piece of poo poo at best

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
you can download the google play app and read your google purchased ebooks on an ipad, op.

seriously, ipads are the only tablets worth spending money on, still.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing illustrates how bad the android tablet situation is better than the second best option behind an ipad is getting a windows tablet.

this should likely be read as "don't get anything but an ipad"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nothing illustrates how bad the android tablet situation is better than the second best option behind an ipad is getting a windows tablet.

this should likely be read as "don't get anything but an ipad"

do they still make a true windows tablet,
or are surface-style ones the closest remaining options?

regardless, the support for my cheap dell windows tablet from 2013 will end with windows 10, which is wild. dell made a cheaper android model and that's for sure unsupported unless you consider combing xda for roms

i bought that thing for the office license since it was cheaper than office in a box and it outlasted android tablets threefold

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

can anyone recommend a good web-based admin thingo for postfix? something that just makes configuring virtual domains, aliases and mailboxes easier than having to edit config files or whatever. i need to setup an internal MTA at work so servers can just shunt e-mails between each other and poo poo, figured it would be easier for my colleagues to support if it had a GUI.

is postfix even the main generally recommended MTA any more?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

can anyone recommend a good web-based admin thingo for postfix? something that just makes configuring virtual domains, aliases and mailboxes easier than having to edit config files or whatever. i need to setup an internal MTA at work so servers can just shunt e-mails between each other and poo poo, figured it would be easier for my colleagues to support if it had a GUI.

is postfix even the main generally recommended MTA any more?

https://admin.microsoft.com

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

i have tons of ostensibly fancy "entertainment" equipment at home for a "smooth media experience" but in the YOLD 3188 it is still basically impossible to seamlessly stream a video from my laptop to the tv (literally impossible if crazy features like subtitles are required).

the state of consumer tech is just horrible

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Gaming on Linux is surprisingly easy with Proton, but I'm having this weird issue with Elden Ring where about every other time I close the game, it just hangs forever on the next boot. I think it's related to Easy Anti-Cheat, verifying the game files causes it to reinstall on the next boot and then it works perfectly fine, idk.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tazjin posted:

i have tons of ostensibly fancy "entertainment" equipment at home for a "smooth media experience" but in the YOLD 3188 it is still basically impossible to seamlessly stream a video from my laptop to the tv (literally impossible if crazy features like subtitles are required).

the state of consumer tech is just horrible

just plug it into the front aux hdmi port on your receiver

but out of curiosity what have you tried? are you chrome casting a chrome tab playing the local file?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao i knew you'd post that you're so predictable shaggar

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Jenny Agutter posted:

then I need to get another USB-C to HDMI adapter because putting ports on laptops is no longer cool

Jenny Agutter posted:

but out of curiosity what have you tried? are you chrome casting a chrome tab playing the local file?

the thing that most often works is chromecast. there used to be a "chrome app" called "videostream for chrome" which worked alright (if it was one of the lucky days where the magic chromecast discovery worked), but it was deprecated a while ago and even though i still have it installed, opening it just flashes a page that closes immediately again.

casting a local file directly from chrome doesn't work with most encodings and container formats (chrome opening .mkv? nah, not happening). so now that videostream is dead i've been using vlc's new built-in chromecast support, which doesn't support subtitles (becomes important e.g. in shows like better call saul, where an entire scene might be in spanish, which i don't speak) and doesn't support pausing videos. or well, you can pause them and resume for a few seconds, but then it freezes up and you gotta restart the whole shebang.

my tv is from LG and supports dlna, but that doesn't support basic functionality like selecting an audio track and definitely no subtitles, if it even works at all.

i think in principle chromecast is close to what i want, but i want all the "magic" features gone (please don't make me ever debug some multicast bullshit, just let me set a static IP) and all basic features supported. in practice what i'll likely end up doing is buying a NUC or something and putting it under the TV and plugging it in with a good old cable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lmao i knew you'd post that you're so predictable shaggar

running your own mail server in 2022 is insane.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

shaggar is right

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

speaking of mail, does outlook have a way to modify the membership of a dist list without having to go through the modify members dialog and add them one by one in a dialog box that can't parse AD names? every few months i get a list of adds and deletes to make to that list and it's unbridled loving misery

bloggins.bf i have no idea who that is
bloggins billiam bobert@techcentre@region oh yeah that guy ok why didn't you just say that

repeat 500 times

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tazjin posted:

then I need to get another USB-C to HDMI adapter because putting ports on laptops is no longer cool

the thing that most often works is chromecast. there used to be a "chrome app" called "videostream for chrome" which worked alright (if it was one of the lucky days where the magic chromecast discovery worked), but it was deprecated a while ago and even though i still have it installed, opening it just flashes a page that closes immediately again.

casting a local file directly from chrome doesn't work with most encodings and container formats (chrome opening .mkv? nah, not happening). so now that videostream is dead i've been using vlc's new built-in chromecast support, which doesn't support subtitles (becomes important e.g. in shows like better call saul, where an entire scene might be in spanish, which i don't speak) and doesn't support pausing videos. or well, you can pause them and resume for a few seconds, but then it freezes up and you gotta restart the whole shebang.

my tv is from LG and supports dlna, but that doesn't support basic functionality like selecting an audio track and definitely no subtitles, if it even works at all.

i think in principle chromecast is close to what i want, but i want all the "magic" features gone (please don't make me ever debug some multicast bullshit, just let me set a static IP) and all basic features supported. in practice what i'll likely end up doing is buying a NUC or something and putting it under the TV and plugging it in with a good old cable.

try plex, the LG app is p decent

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

speaking of mail, does outlook have a way to modify the membership of a dist list without having to go through the modify members dialog and add them one by one in a dialog box that can't parse AD names? every few months i get a list of adds and deletes to make to that list and it's unbridled loving misery

bloggins.bf i have no idea who that is
bloggins billiam bobert@techcentre@region oh yeah that guy ok why didn't you just say that

repeat 500 times

powershell

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

i am running my own dns servers what do you think about that

e: authoritative, not recursive

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

get-distributiongroup doesn't r un, it pops a cmd not found exception; i can't install cmdlets and i am not an exchange admin

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

get-distributiongroup doesn't r un, it pops a cmd not found exception; i can't install cmdlets and i am not an exchange admin

get-adgroup

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you need to at least be able to import ActiveDirectory

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Not sure offhand if you can install activedirectory to your user profile without the whole RSAT package but if you have aduc you should be able to get the module

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
The first thing you need to understand is if the group is an office365/azuread cloud-only group or if it was a group synced from your local ad.

If its an office365/azure ad cloud-only group you can either use the azure ad powershell module or remote in to your exchange instance and run the exchange online powershell commands. the azure ad ones are probably better and easier at this point.

If its a local ad group synced to office 365/azuread you cant modify it from the local and you must use the local ad power shell module after which your changes will be synced up.

for azure ad i think its just install-module azuread. For activedirectory i think its like enable-windowsfeature rsat-ad-powershell or something idr. you can also install it thru the windows features ui in settings.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

get-adgroup

:eng99:

this is an exchange distribution group i'm trying to manage and it didn't occur to me, a person who lacks exchange server permissions and is regularly frustrated by all things email, to try to grab it by its corresponding domain ad object because I didn't know it had one:

>get-adgroup -identity "#Distlist Name"

DistinguishedName: CN= etc. etc. :words:

So that's fun. Thanks!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

If its an office365/azure ad cloud-only group you can either use the azure ad powershell module or remote in to your exchange instance and run the exchange online powershell commands. the azure ad ones are probably better and easier at this point.

it's certainly plausible that whoever who set up the exchange server vm used a hinky inheritance rule that probably extends those permissions to me through some long-forgotten group, but it's still not a place i ought to be and waving my finger at people who go to such places is literally my job sooooooooooooooo

connect-azuread isn't installed, and trying to install it would summon the people whose job it is to wag their fingers at us

add-adgroupmember -identity "big long huge dist list name" -members jeff.k jeff.b cliffy.b works just fine though

y'all are awesome

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
since its a local ad group you wouldnt be able to edit the membership with azure ad anyway so its all good.

unless its changed recently, when using ad connect to sync ad objects from local to azure, its a 1 way sync. This means you cant edit azure ad groups (and some user properties) directly in azure ad as those changes would never sync back down to your local AD. the only way to do it is the way you're doing it, so no problems there.

however, it is possible that you run into a group that was created cloud only and if you want to modify those you'll need to do it in azure ad either using the UI or powershell. and if for some reason they wont let you install the azure ad powershell module locally you can run it using the web console on https://portal.azure.com

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

posting back on this because of new developments. if you read my post you'd have noticed that i said "internal MTA" so that "servers can just shunt e-mails between each other and poo poo." EXO/M365 is overkill for that poo poo. however the new development is that we are undergoing ACSC IRAP assessment (as i understand it's effectively equivalent to FedRAMP) and as such it'll be easier for us to just spin up a separate dedicated AAD/M365 tenancy for the environment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would one internal server need to send email to another internal server? send email out of the network to humans thru a gateway sure, but to each other?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

why would one internal server need to send email to another internal server? send email out of the network to humans thru a gateway sure, but to each other?

yeah it wasn't my idea. the requirement came from some greybeard in our team that was talking about emails from systemd (poo poo that normally ends up in /var/spool/whatever) as well as reports from AIDE. we're already putting Beats agents on these boxes so i'll just tell them that if they want e-mails then they can pull them with Filebeat either direct or with the journal module, also AIDE can gently caress-off for the moment i can sort that later.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

since its a local ad group you wouldnt be able to edit the membership with azure ad anyway so its all good.

unless its changed recently, when using ad connect to sync ad objects from local to azure, its a 1 way sync. This means you cant edit azure ad groups (and some user properties) directly in azure ad as those changes would never sync back down to your local AD. the only way to do it is the way you're doing it, so no problems there.

however, it is possible that you run into a group that was created cloud only and if you want to modify those you'll need to do it in azure ad either using the UI or powershell. and if for some reason they wont let you install the azure ad powershell module locally you can run it using the web console on https://portal.azure.com

i think you can do some stuff where azuread has writeback to the domain but that sounds horrifying

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

iirc the only write-back supported by AADC is for passwords (to support sspr). that said AADC is built on-top of MIM/FIM which is real nightmare fuel (custom transforms and poo poo implemented by pointing it at DLLs, insane black-box hosed poo poo made more insane when going SAP->AD->SAP->AD->Salesforce->SAP->AD).

AADC is good because it doesn't let you do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pile Of Garbage posted:

iirc the only write-back supported by AADC is for passwords (to support sspr). that said AADC is built on-top of MIM/FIM which is real nightmare fuel (custom transforms and poo poo implemented by pointing it at DLLs, insane black-box hosed poo poo made more insane when going SAP->AD->SAP->AD->Salesforce->SAP->AD).

AADC is good because it doesn't let you do that

the insane poo poo is SAP->AD->SAP->AD->Salesforce->SAP->AD hth