Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
DrawFee, a group of really good artists, just released a video where they convert cursed generated images from Weird Dall-E Generations back into art*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7Pka7zZ54
Turning "Thanos looking for his mom in Walmart

:phoneb::phoneline:into:phoneline::phone:

There are two more after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
He's lost in the section where they sell Flaming gently caress Ups

Redonionking
Mar 13, 2001

I AM A BRILLIANT HAMOLOGIST
Grimey Drawer

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I find it kind of neat when it brings up fairly accurate (or at least, recognizable) results.

Edit: Though, throw in a few more words and it looks accurate and weird. Beautiful snowy winter though

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 20, 2022

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When you give «simple» prompts like that, I think it might just «remember» some of the training data images more or less. Would be interesting to see the devs comparing the outputs to training images with matching descriptions and see if there are some near matches.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ymgve posted:

When you give «simple» prompts like that, I think it might just «remember» some of the training data images more or less. Would be interesting to see the devs comparing the outputs to training images with matching descriptions and see if there are some near matches.

it's definitely possible to replicate the training data

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ogdred Weary posted:

I made some "average somethingawful.com users" with MidJourney

dalle is less inspired on that

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I got some neat concept art style results:

"Elaborate" seems to be a good word to use for weird fantastic man-made structures, and specifying a color palette gets some nice results.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Tunicate posted:

dalle is less inspired on that

Put some of these nonsense words back in, and see what they “mean.”

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Vlaphor posted:

I find it kind of neat when it brings up fairly accurate (or at least, recognizable) results.

Edit: Though, throw in a few more words and it looks accurate and weird. Beautiful snowy winter though

"yard sard"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The yard sale reminds me of that one image that looks like reality but then you're hard-pressed to describe anything that's actually in the picture. Like maybe I can make out a blue garment but primarily it just has like the essence of a yard sale.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I think I might skip the waterslides here....

A Strange Aeon posted:

The yard sale reminds me of that one image that looks like reality but then you're hard-pressed to describe anything that's actually in the picture. Like maybe I can make out a blue garment but primarily it just has like the essence of a yard sale.

This is a case where the lower resolutions really come into play. Since you can't make anything out clearly, your brain fills in the details. The yards in those pics look exactly like yards, at this resolution and size.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 20, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Bloody waterslides reminds me of a really hosed up Megg, Mogg and Owl strip, so gross

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Vlaphor posted:

This is a case where the lower resolutions really come into play. Since you can't make anything out clearly, your brain fills in the details. The yards in those pics look exactly like yards, at this resolution and size.

Reminds me of an actual slide at Action Park which had embedded human teeth from previous people who lost their teeth on said slide LOL

https://mashable.com/article/class-action-park-review-hbo-max

quote:

We learn, for example, that park employees tested the unfinished Cannonball Loop – a water slide that ends in a full-blown upside-down loop – after Mulvihill offered anyone who dared to try it $100. We also learn that many of the later testers emerged from the slide bearing bloody gashes. The cause? Human teeth stuck to the slide's interior walls that were left behind by previous testers.

And here's a horrifying AI rendition:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

please don't put the true names of elder gods into dall-e

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dall-E entered "beta" today so now you only get 15 generations per month (down from 50 per day). It was fun while it lasted.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seize the means of art production from capital. Dall-e 2 should belong to everyone

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GABA ghoul posted:

Seize the means of art production from capital. Dall-e 2 should belong to everyone

Isn't it open source? You just need an $8000 GPU to run it. I'm hoping some of these AI capable GPUs end up hitting a usable level and keep going so a nice used market for stuff with run times fast enough for personal use is viable. I wouldn't mind waiting 10-15 minutes per generation if it was mine. I could queue stuff and have multiple work in progress pieces. This is at least a decade out though.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 20, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

pixaal posted:

Isn't it open source?

As far as I understand it, it's training the model that's the really expensive bit. You still need beefy hardware to run it, but it's within reach of a regular person.

I've seen some estimates that put training GPT-3 at over $4M.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OpenAI never released their dall-e 1 or 2 model to the public. I doubt they gonna do it until the tech is completely obsolete years down the line. Dall-e mini is an open source attempt to recreate the dall-e model, but they don't really have the same resources for training nor is it as good in general.

Wopzilla
Mar 6, 2005
indecisive bastard

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

OpenAI never released their dall-e 1 or 2 model to the public. I doubt they gonna do it until the tech is completely obsolete years down the line. Dall-e mini is an open source attempt to recreate the dall-e model, but they don't really have the same resources for training nor is it as good in general.

sounds like their scared. sounds like they're afraid people will find out they've been speed drawing all those images.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
One day we will get a crowdsourced AI that generates rule34 content on demand and it will be called hent-AI and nothing we can do will prevent that

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

TIP posted:

it's definitely possible to replicate the training data

I gotta say I was somewhat dubious so ran the same string....

DallE expermenting with cubism and Pollock now...?
==================
:perfect:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cable Guy posted:

I gotta say I was somewhat dubious so ran the same string....

DallE expermenting with cubism and Pollock now...?

I made a big effort post last month about it because I spent a while figuring out that phrase and I thought the way it gets generated out of the elements that each of the individual words produce was interesting

you can also just use "starry art" but that's less surprising

TIP posted:

:effort: post

played with Dall-E mini a while looking for insights into how it builds things up into a picture

earlier in the thread someone posted a tweet where some guy says AI generated art is the fleshlight of creativity, I copied his whole tweet into mini dall-e and got this:

every time I generated it I got a very similar set of photos with a couple Starry Starry Nights

then I saw someone else in the thread used just "AI generated art is the fleshlight of creativity" without the rest and got nearly identical results, including the Starry Starry Nights

this led me down a rabbit hole of trying to figure what part of that phrase was triggering it to recreate Starry Starry Night so regularly

so I tried each important word individually and determined that it seemed to be combining colors and shapes from AI, art, and creativity to arrive at Starry Starry Night

put them all together and

and interestingly enough the input "starry starry night" does not work

I also tried adding back in the less important words like of, the, and is and it was interesting the way that they could change the outcome, driving it towards or away from Starry Starry Night

"art is the creativity of AI" seemed to produce Starry Starry Night the most out of any entry using words from the quote, but I think I also figured out the absolute shortest input to reliably get Starry Starry Night

the fact that "AI art creativity" so reliably produces a specific painting makes me nervous at the thought of trying to use any of these systems commercially

we're gonna need a second AI to judge the outputs against the training materials to make sure we're not duplicating copyrighted designs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was worried about that too. How much of the art it spat out that I liked (and a lot of it really is great, imho) was just a variation of existing works?

I wonder how this shakes out legally. There's no denying the work that goes into these AI models, but the datasets they rely on include works they definitely never asked permission to use. Does that affect ownership of the output, or even the model itself? DALLE-2 is now a paid service, so I think they don't think so. They've made an effort to scrub copyrighted subjects, but those are just obvious examples of issue.

Any individual work might not have a big influence on the model, but does it matter that collectively a big part of the... intellectual work (idk what to call it) is not that of the AI creators'?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

TIP posted:

I made a big effort post last month about it because I spent a while figuring out that phrase and I thought the way it gets generated out of the elements that each of the individual words produce was interesting

quote:

:effort: post

played with Dall-E mini a while looking for insights into how it builds things up into a picture

earlier in the thread someone posted a tweet where some guy says AI generated art is the fleshlight of creativity, I copied his whole tweet into mini dall-e and got this:
you can also just use "starry art" but that's less surprising
I can't find the post but I used a goon's reply to that tweet...

quote:

This dude boasting to us about how good his fleshlight is and he thinks it's ok because he doesn't think we're real people
... and the result was uh... illuminating

:stare:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cable Guy posted:

I can't find the post but I used a goon's reply to that tweet...

... and the result was uh... illuminating

:stare:

I can't tell if this is a bit, but you did that to me :lmao:

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Rinkles posted:

I wonder how this shakes out legally.

Get ready for the even stupider future of IP law where you can get protection for your "style" and any AI model that ever saw some of your art while training now owes you royalties for every image it produces in perpetuity.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Uh the fake punk Daft Punk posters are extremely cool

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Vlaphor posted:

like this idea tried mixing it up a little

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

For some reason "*in* a cosy home office" wasn't giving very good results?

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 21, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
More DALL-E 2 invites incoming:

quote:

The company announced in a blog post that it will expedite access for customers on the waitlist with the goal of reaching roughly 1 million people within the next few weeks. With this "beta" launch, DALL-E 2, which had been free to use, will move to a credit-based fee structure. First-time users will get a finite amount of credits that can be put toward generating or editing an image or creating a variation of an image. (Generations return four images, while edits and variations return three.) Credits will refill every month to the tune of 50 in the first month and 15 a month after that, or users can buy additional credits in increments of $15. Artists in need of financial assistance will be able to apply for subsidized access, OpenAI says.

Where is my approval, assholes? :argh:

Understandable that they're going for the credit system to manage the resources, and great that it'll give you some every month. It's fun but I'm not paying money to generate pics of Ted Cruz wearing a bikini

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

More DALL-E 2 invites incoming:

Where is my approval, assholes? :argh:

Understandable that they're going for the credit system to manage the resources, and great that it'll give you some every month. It's fun but I'm not paying money to generate pics of Ted Cruz wearing a bikini

I write rpg books for drive through rpg and I sure as gently caress will pay for AI pictures of goblins and wizards and wizard goblins

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

For some reason "*in* a cosy home office" wasn't giving very good results?

this is great

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
how do you quick fix bias in your model? just add words like "black" and "woman" at the end of users' prompts at random!

https://twitter.com/rzhang88/status/1549472829304741888

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*