Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

or 'what month was your car made because if its and even number you need this brake pad.'

This is specific enough, I can't tell if you're joking or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ Only a little exaggeration Did my Sister in laws focus brakes... it's a 2001 Ford Focus SE 4 door x.x engine. guy at parts counter "Okay what month was it made. If it was Jan-may it's this brake.. May+ it's this brake.
me calling sister in law "hey open your drivers door.. near the latch there should be a sticker. Look at the sticker.. can you tell me what it says for date of manufacture"

quote:

some other poster
cool I'll hop in a few mustangs and see.

bad_fmr posted:

Why are you so obsessed with reliability, when it sounds like you are buying a fun weekend car and not put particularily high mileage on it?

I'm buying something to drive not to fix? Not obsessed but my ford experience kind of sucked, it felt like bullshit that wasn't going wrong on my 10 year old Cabriolet was going wrong on my 5 year old ford on a regular basis.. from years 5-10 my ford needed: new front springs, new fuel pump, recall on rear door latches, HVAC fan motor, Idle Control vac tubes redone wheel bearings, exhaust manifold gasket, The door latches froze on a regular basis (convertible would not have this issue as it wouldn't' see snow)

I've spent winters rebuilding engines in the garage, i've done full off body restorations. I'm just not in a point in my life where that's on my list of stuff to do. I'd rather do a long haul bike ride, or hike with the kids instead of troubleshooting a cold idle stumbling/misfire issue or redoing the rear wheel bearings.. again. I'm fine with doing brakes etc. don't want to spend my every other weekend working on the fun car I wanna have fun with the fun car.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tater_salad posted:

^^ Only a little exaggeration Did my Sister in laws focus brakes... it's a 2001 Ford Focus SE 4 door x.x engine. guy at parts counter "Okay what month was it made. If it was Jan-may it's this brake.. May+ it's this brake.
me calling sister in law "hey open your drivers door.. near the latch there should be a sticker. Look at the sticker.. can you tell me what it says for date of manufacture"

I'm buying something to drive not to fix? Not obsessed but my ford experience kind of sucked, it felt like bullshit that wasn't going wrong on my 10 year old Cabriolet was going wrong on my 5 year old ford on a regular basis.. from years 5-10 my ford needed: new front springs, new fuel pump, recall on rear door latches, HVAC fan motor, Idle Control vac tubes redone wheel bearings, exhaust manifold gasket, The door latches froze on a regular basis (convertible would not have this issue as it wouldn't' see snow)

I've spent winters rebuilding engines in the garage, i've done full off body restorations. I'm just not in a point in my life where that's on my list of stuff to do. I'd rather do a long haul bike ride, or hike with the kids instead of troubleshooting a cold idle control issue or redoing the rear wheel bearings.. again. I'm fine with doing brakes etc. don't want to spend my every other weekend working on the fun car I wanna have fun with the fun car.

Then don't do the work yourself and pay some extra to have it done quickly by a qualified shop, or if you really like setting money on fire the dealer. There's no law saying you must repair your car yourself although typically it is an extremely economical option. I don't really worry about reliability too much past a certain age of car unless the model or make (Range, Jaguar etc.) is really known for lemons or sky high running costs. I don't do work myself though (no private garage and gently caress curbside shadetree stuff on busy streets with everybody staring) so that's how I roll. I also don't like to drive 20-30+ year old rolling science projects full of aftermarket everything since the rest of the car has rusted away. That is the privilege I have afforded myself.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 19, 2022

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

tater_salad posted:

I've spent winters rebuilding engines in the garage, i've done full off body restorations. I'm just not in a point in my life where that's on my list of stuff to do. I'd rather do a long haul bike ride, or hike with the kids instead of troubleshooting a cold idle control issue or redoing the rear wheel bearings.. again. I'm fine with doing brakes etc. don't want to spend my every other weekend working on the fun car I wanna have fun with the fun car.

So a serious alternative would be a Lexus SC430. We looked into them prior to picking up the Benz (as far as I’m concerned, the W124 is the last real Mercedes, and the cab was extremely exclusive) - if you can get over the looks, they may be a reliable option.
Bonus V8 and metal roof; four seats too, though rear-facing child seats won’t fit.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
VW Beetle? Wrangler? How many 4 seater convertibles are more reliable than a mustang lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'll assume the Ford dealer asked for the VIN first and when you didn't have it that's when they asked for the month of manufacture?

Most dealers do that, but also a poo poo load of manufacturers change stuff slightly depending on which supplier made the most recent delivery of part x to the factory.

Not talking poo poo or whatever, just saying. Although the dealer really just wants your money, they also want your money and don't want to have to deal with an angry call when they give you the wrong poo poo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dealer. You mean napazonequest. See I've owned lots of Hondas and Toyotas where the brakes are like the same ones for years. Not like my ex wife's cavy that had $93 rear brake shoes because they were the 'rare' ones that were only installed on some.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When I had an early Camry if you had the rare Japan made one they had different parts 🙈

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Solara is like driving a camry without a roof even with the v6 the transmission made it drive pretty meh. There is a lot of shimmy over bumps and the northeast has lots of those. (Either the suspension was gone or it's. just how it goes).

Even at 9k where the market sits at 13-15 this was overpriced. It smelled musty so there's a leak, it was a smokers car kuz there were several burn marks on the seats, the rims all pealing and hosed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Oh wow who could have foreseen the solara being a turd

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a 2014 GT500 convertible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Solara is like driving a camry without a roof even with the v6 the transmission made it drive pretty meh. There is a lot of shimmy over bumps and the northeast has lots of those. (Either the suspension was gone or it's. just how it goes).

Even at 9k where the market sits at 13-15 this was overpriced. It smelled musty so there's a leak, it was a smokers car kuz there were several burn marks on the seats, the rims all pealing and hosed.

lol remember when you could buy a car like this for 1500 bucks and a case of beer?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ yeah this is a 4-5k 'normal market' car. It's not fully clapped out but it is far from perfect. They'll keep dropping the price each week till some sucker buys it (or they ship it off to auction). That won't be me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oh wow who could have foreseen the solara being a turd

You could predicter of the future.
I was headed to the dealer anyway to sit in a few different verts they had there to see if any of them fit better or not. I think it's mustang or no back seat at this point. I shoulda sat in the prowler for a sec too.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 20, 2022

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I've spent winters rebuilding engines in the garage, i've done full off body restorations. I'm just not in a point in my life where that's on my list of stuff to do. I'd rather do a long haul bike ride, or hike with the kids instead of troubleshooting a cold idle stumbling/misfire issue or redoing the rear wheel bearings.. again. I'm fine with doing brakes etc. don't want to spend my every other weekend working on the fun car I wanna have fun with the fun car.

It sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize why you should be buying a lovely Toyota for a fun car instead of, you know, a real fun car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My friend had a ~06 solara, yeah it's basically a camry coupe, drove it from 40k to 220k, gave it to her (much younger) sister as a hs graduation present, she drove it until like 2018 with standard Toyota level reliability

Not an amazing car but got the job done, only needed new tires, oil and brakes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

It sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize why you should be buying a lovely Toyota for a fun car instead of, you know, a real fun car.

What the reviews said was 'this fun car with a peppy v6 and roomy back seat...'

What the meant was

'Even with it's 'tuned' suspension for 2007 this thing is still slow and has zero soul '

E Like my sienna is more fun to drive.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 20, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I ended up buying a 2017 RDX.
Thanks for all the advice, thread.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

tater_salad posted:

Mustang is also an answer. But I read things like 'the v6 spark plugs disintegrate / get stuck and it's a 800-grand to get em out because you won't want it to happen in driveway. And was like welp.

Also my wife also said 'cant look like 40 year old is having a mid life'.but there has to be some kind of compromises

Edit: I'm not antsy to own another Ford. I have had a few. And I don't like broken springs at 60k or new wheel bearings at 40k or 'what month was your car made because if its and even number you need this brake pad.'

The Ford 3.5/3.7/3.3 V6’s used since like ‘10 or so don’t have any spark plug issues to my knowledge; I’m a fleet manager and we’ve changed about 4 zillion of them. The worst thing that happens is the rubber coil boots get stuck and you have to rip them into little pieces before you can get the socket wrench on the plug.

Like the other poster said, you’re thinking of the old 4.6/5.4 V8’s that either spat them out randomly(old old ones)or latched on tenaciously to half the plug(newer design).

I’m not really a Ford guy, but their reliability is fine, except for the first year or so of a new model, when you really don’t know what’s going to happen.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’m a fleet manager and we’ve changed about 4 zillion of them.

I'm forever mentally sorting used cars in my mind for highly theoretical future purchases, I'd appreciate any other insight you have on the v6 mustang after managing a fleet for years; any component you saw fail more than others or maybe a difficult parts replacement you found an alternative method for removing? How does the 2011-2014 interior hold up to use and abuse?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Herr Doktor Thndrs does not have specific experience with Mustangs en masse (I don't think), as a fleet manager they handle more prosaic vehicles that happen to share components like engines with Mustangs.

Any vaguely enthusiast oriented car from Wranglers to W222 S classes is going to have enthusiast forums that give you a ton of information about that car and its known issues. You have to sort through two competing factors: the first is that every issue gets reported, and people with the issues tend to gravitate to the forums, so you have overreporting of issues (eg S62 rod bearing failures, you'd think every S62 in existence had catastrophic rod bearing failures are 60k miles if you read M5board.com). You then have people trying to counteract the prevailing narrative of unreliability of certain components through either "Well the rod bearings never failed on my S62" or "actually rod bearings are a wear item on a PRECISION GERMAN AUTOMOBILE this is normal and good." But it'll at least give you a decent look at what is probable to go wrong. So go on whatever the Mustang forum is and you'll find out quickly what to look for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
But I'm scared of touching the pop in Coral.net. But I see your point. Though I'd expect all these niche forums are mostly dying and it'll all be on Reddit nowadays.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Facebook, actually. Join a couple of groups and immediately turn them off in your feed because they just spam nonsense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

But I'm scared of touching the pop in Coral.net. But I see your point. Though I'd expect all these niche forums are mostly dying and it'll all be on Reddit nowadays.

oh yeah nameplate specific forums are wretched

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh yeah nameplate specific forums are wretched

Given the vehicles at hand, it's probably a tossup as to whether the shittiest of poo poo takes will be found on Mustang or Jeep forums.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the vehicles at hand, it's probably a tossup as to whether the shittiest of poo poo takes will be found on Mustang or Jeep forums.

Ferrari forums.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

Facebook, actually. Join a couple of groups and immediately turn them off in your feed because they just spam nonsense.

I was pretty neutral about Facebook until I joined some of the automotive groups, and wow, what a swirling maelstrom of poo poo. There's even meta poo poo posting groups to poo poo post about the poo poo posts

Every once in a while someone who has fixed your exact problem will log on and tell you exactly how to fix it. I had a moderately obscure marine diesel with a high idle problem and the guy was able to tell me exactly what pin in the fuel pump linkage was getting jammed. Really impressive, I'd been struggling with the issue for a couple days with no success. Some random guy going on about making tea and taking your time. Weird world

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm forever mentally sorting used cars in my mind for highly theoretical future purchases, I'd appreciate any other insight you have on the v6 mustang after managing a fleet for years; any component you saw fail more than others or maybe a difficult parts replacement you found an alternative method for removing? How does the 2011-2014 interior hold up to use and abuse?

Yeah, Kyoon hit the nail on the head, I deal a lot with the basic drivetrain that is found in a Mustang, only it'll be in stripped pickups, Transit vans, Explorers, Taurus's, etc.

The biggest hassle we've had isn't really Ford's problem, it's that the state lets often cars sit around a long time before they're given out to various fleets, and for some reason, rodents like to crawl under the intake manifold and chew on the knock sensor wires, causing a code. You thing "hey, this is a new car, let the dealer fix it", and once they see little teeth marks, it turns from free to a $1200-$1500 repair, which is a nightmare on my end because you're supposed to OK any expensive repairs with the state inspector first, but you didn't know it was going to be your expense until it's already torn apart. Since many/most of those engines are direct-injection, it's a slightly tricky job to take the fuel rail apart* and fish it out so you can extract the knock sensor and change it.

*actually, putting it back together is the tricky part, that much fuel pressure really really wants to leak if it can.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
On the fence regarding trading in my semi-lightly used 2016 WRX for a lightly used 2019 Fiesta ST...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=647006763

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX1KM111878
two owners... looks like it sat for a while, like my WRX during the lockdown, sucker sat on the lot for a month.

I'm escaping the Fiesta transmission problems because manual, but everyone complains about the blend door actuator failure - maybe it was addressed in 2019? Maybe not? It's out of warranty anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=25s

THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK

Since i'm not commuting this is meant to be a weekend roadtrip car and sometime grocery getter. This will be a step back in interior though - previous cars being WRX, infiniti G35, VW GTI...

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 21, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, Kyoon hit the nail on the head, I deal a lot with the basic drivetrain that is found in a Mustang, only it'll be in stripped pickups, Transit vans, Explorers, Taurus's, etc.

Do you deal with any transit connects? I’ve been looking for some kind of work van for a while but have realized that a full size e-whatever might not be great with parking on my street.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Coffee Jones posted:

On the fence regarding trading in my semi-lightly used 2016 WRX for a lightly used 2019 Fiesta ST...

Why are you wanting to move from the wrx to the Fiesta?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Corvette forums are the worst. Or at least, have the worst owners, judging by what they post.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

powderific posted:

Do you deal with any transit connects? I’ve been looking for some kind of work van for a while but have realized that a full size e-whatever might not be great with parking on my street.

I don’t anymore, but back when I was in my previous job, we had some fleet accounts with them. I remember them constantly having brake issues, but I think they were always loaded heavy and fleet drivers are notorious maniacs. I don’t remember much else about them, sorry.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

ssb posted:

Why are you wanting to move from the wrx to the Fiesta?

Lol, here’s a bit of backstory:
I’m in the Seattle area: the downtown is the land of 15 - 25 degree hills and traffic traffic traffic. I used to drive a G35 with 6MT. When driving friends and family tended to freak out when I stalled out once or twice crawling around in rush hour.
Test drove a Fiesta ST in 2016, I compromised and got a WRX with a CVT… it’s got the flappy paddles, you can switch between I-mode for tooling around town to S and S# mode for bouncing off the rev limiter and making noise.

Several years later I’m living further east of Seattle: land of pickup trucks (roadsters; BRZ, Miata, 370z are kinda ‘ehhhhhh’), and more Trump 2024 / “Unvaxxed Sperm is the Next Bitcoin” flags than I’d care for but more rolling hills. I feel like I’ve missed out on something not driving a light but relatively powerful 6MT car. It turns out I’m the sole driver with no passengers 95% of the time, anyway.

I see people describe FiST as a compromise of a light car Miata-like driving experience and grocery getter, and since the whole car industry has gone SUV/CUV loco - this is like the last time to own such a car now feels like The Last Time to own such a car in new-ish unmodded condition.

Edit: I’ll see if someone on Turo is willing to lease theirs…
Edit2: every goddamn Polaris slingshot owner, :lol:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 21, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The FiST is very good by all accounts, I'd go for it too over a CVT WRX I think.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

know what.. fine gently caress YOU I will buy a miata

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 22, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's blue. Pretty

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah it's a nice step away from red/black/silver ones that are everywhere.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That’s the laguna blue, I had a 93 in that color with the daisy wheels. I miss u car :’-(

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm escaping the Fiesta transmission problems because manual, but everyone complains about the blend door actuator failure - maybe it was addressed in 2019? Maybe not? It's out of warranty anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuENktnNelc&t=25s

THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK-THOK

This is a serious problem. I have a 2015 and the actuator has failed twice. The first time it was thankfully under warranty, this latest time not so much.

It has actually spread, since now once the blend door actuator finally shuts up after I start the car some second actuator starts making a similar noise in another part of the dash.

It's really pathetic that Ford hasn't figured out how to do this. Blend door failure was a known issue on my '96 Towncar and it seems like 20 years wasn't enough time for them to figure it out.

It wouldn't be a big problem if it wasn't such a pain in the dick to get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

tater_salad posted:

know what.. fine gently caress YOU I will buy a miata

You made an excellent choice!