Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

VictualSquid posted:

Are Aliexpress Chainsaws and Drills to safe for you? Just combine them:

Portable Conversion Head Kits Electric Drill to Electric Chain Saw Adapter Attachment Woodworking Pruning Tools for Garden € 4,31

This looks tremendously cool. I'm sure it would be a bad idea to use it but I kinda wanna have it. Safety aside (like lol), I'm not sure just how much torque my little Makita drill can provide to pull a chain through solid wood. Might be useful to break down old IKEA stuff though, they also have a band (or how you call it in english) saw attachment apparently.

e: 4 reviews, 4.5 stars, what could go wrong

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 17, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anyone bought one of the little sewing machines? Are they actually useful or just bound to break after one use

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
aliexpress+needles+motors, you say

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ok what's in the AliX email newsletter today..?

£34.98 45% Off | Octopus Stuffed Animal Cute Baby Octopus Costume Wearable Jumbo Large Octopus Plush Toy Birthday Party Gifts for Kids Girls Boys

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vdyLoO

:eyepop:

Goddamn that’s cool. I don’t think I’ll buy it but I might be able to knit something like it. I’ve been doing mermaid tails for my nieces and nephews for a few years, and I’ve knit a bunch of little octopus. Combining the two ideas could work…

PokeJoe posted:

Anyone bought one of the little sewing machines? Are they actually useful or just bound to break after one use

I’ve had one sitting in my cart for at least a year but haven’t been able to convince myself I need it. I suspect it’ll either not work out of the box or only work on thin cotton type materials.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

aliexpress+needles+motors, you say

I've seen this horror movie.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I saw a YouTube video at one point testing out those little handheld sewing machines and the one the host got simply didn't have a way to install a bottom thread? So it sort of just placed thread on top of the fabric but it obviously could just pull out immediately because no actual sewing was happening

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sometimes I forget that I own an actual sewing machine (IDK what it is, must be either Singer or Husqvarna because otherwise I'd remember it) that was bought withing the last ten years. But thanks to this thread I just remembereded it.

Is there a guide video on "how do I try to sew a patch on the crotch on my jeans with a machine"?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Youtube still exists, so yes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Other than ordering way too many pairs of Yeezys I don’t know about the clothing game.

My oldest kid is into Stranger Things but even she is like yeah we aren’t paying $30 for a t-shirt at hot topic.

I see some hoodies on Ali with lots of sales, they go to triple xl. The size chart included seems to point that a large looks like a normal large but I’ve read enough of this thread that I don’t trust it. Very tall kid is the issue she can wear mens large often just bc of height, not weight wise.

Should I be safe and go xl? Or even bigger? Trust the size chart on the listing?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've always found the size charts on listings to be reliable, but I've got the opposite problem of needing clothes to be small

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Smaller than XS? Are you Peter Dinklage?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Killingyouguy! posted:

I've always found the size charts on listings to be reliable, but I've got the opposite problem of needing clothes to be small

If they give you a measurement it'll be accurate, you just cant trust the letter sizing at all

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

norp posted:

If they give you a measurement it'll be accurate, you just cant trust the letter sizing at all

Cool thanks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

By popular demand posted:

Kyg! is compact. Very high awesomeness density.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just use your needle. I am a regular guy. Whenever I asked my wife to sew something she took forever to do it. So I just DIY myself. I patched all my hiking woof sox and bike bags and other crap. Sewed Topgun patches on my son's jacket.

Also I love removing badges and brands from clothes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also I love removing badges and brands from clothes.

I also like to do this. Not that often any more, I just buy clothes without them.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

By popular demand posted:

A lot of aliexpress listings don't go smaller than S for women's clothing or M for men's :(

Subjunctive posted:

Kyg! is compact. Very high awesomeness density.

😊

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

norp posted:

Yeah it's the material that they'll lie lie lie about (and eat hot chip).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Killingyouguy! posted:

A lot of aliexpress listings don't go smaller than S for women's clothing or M for men's :(

😊

I would have thought an AliExpress S would be more like XXXS, the way the large sizes are

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Snowy posted:

I would have thought an AliExpress S would be more like XXXS, the way the large sizes are

You'd think so! And yet all the S shirts are baggy on me

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ok what's in the AliX email newsletter today..?

£34.98 45% Off | Octopus Stuffed Animal Cute Baby Octopus Costume Wearable Jumbo Large Octopus Plush Toy Birthday Party Gifts for Kids Girls Boys

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vdyLoO

:eyepop:

Not sure why you chose that picture, when they have this more accurate one

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

2022 Summer New High-Heeled Ladies Slippers Women Two-Wear High-Heeled Shoes Heightened Fashion Slippers Outdoor Leisure Sandals
€ 16,00

And even if I was crazy enough for that, they don't even have them in my size.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

2022 Summer New High-Heeled Ladies Slippers Women Two-Wear High-Heeled Shoes Heightened Fashion Slippers Outdoor Leisure Sandals
€ 16,00

And even if I was crazy enough for that, they don't even have them in my size.

There are very expensive versions of these sold elsewhere (the best part of $1,000 each). It seems to me that the design combination of usually flimsy Crocs with high heels would take some clever engineering and require a high quality build to be strong.

So, their extreme ugliness aside, I'd reckon the Aliexpress version of these shoes would actually be dangerous to walk in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BigBadSteve posted:

There are very expensive versions of these sold elsewhere (the best part of $1,000 each).

They're Balenciagas - https://www.balenciaga.com/en-us/crocs%E2%84%A2-madame-80mm-green-677390W1S8E3033.html - so the price tag has absolutely nothing to do with engineering or quality.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Last Ali guitar, until the next one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I would say lol but I have one of these:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
That is friggin adorable

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I searched for too many usb devices, now ali wants to put an usb plug into my usb plug:

I am actually considering buying that.

This one even has a gif in the actual listing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002821501368.html

We need a cool and trustworthy name for our brand of cheap usb drives..
I got you:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VictualSquid posted:

I searched for too many usb devices, now ali wants to put an usb plug into my usb plug:

I am actually considering buying that.

I have a card reader like that, just with a full-size SD reader instead of the USB-A pass-through. Works fine though probably not at USB3 speeds but at this point the speeds are so confusing so who knows.

Has anyone seen a solar charger that actually works reasonably? Obviously there's only so much you can get out of small cells but it really only needs to put out about 10W to charge a phone in 90 minutes or two hours or so which this thing seems to come nowhere near to.

I just spend 4 days camping at a festival and keeping the phones charged was still a pain in the rear end since we could only really do it in the car and not for much to avoid killing the 12v battery there.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Probably better to just get a powerbank instead, solar chargers are incredibly weak.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You need a cheap but good power bank, and a decent solar panel. I have a renogy flex 21 that was on Amazon clearance or something and it would work for you. Get to the festival with a power bank or two fully charged, have the solar charging power banks while you away. Use the quick PD on the power bank to charge phones not straight from solar

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You can get away with just the one powerbank, leave it trickle charging all day and then plug your phone in at night

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got a backpack sized (like 3 laptop screen big) solar panel. The charging was so slow I promptly returned it to Amazon.

A few years ago, I hiked with a small phone with removable battery and 3 extra batteries. Nowaday, on a shortish hike I probably will go with 2 phones for minimal weight. I just remember I got a tiny mp3 player just for hiking purpose but never used. Maybe I will get one of these neck bluetooth earphones on ali which also can take microSd card.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 20, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I have a powerbank of course, but with a friend and me charging from it, we had to conserve a lot to avoid running it down immediately. Obviously a bigger powerbank is always an option :)

Trickle-charging it from the panel all day seems like a good approach but:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got a backpack sized (like 3 laptop screen big) solar panel. The charging was so slow I promptly returned it to Amazon.

A few years ago, I hiked with a small phone with removable battery and 3 extra batteries. Nowaday, on a shortish hike I probably will go with 2 phones for minimal weight. I just remember I got a tiny mp3 player just for hiking purpose but never used. Maybe I will get one of these neck bluetooth earphones on ali which also can take microSd card.
That sounds like a pretty big panel so I'd expect it to charge pretty quickly. I mean these things do work (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAS3yI2idc 80w actual output out of 100w rated) so I don't know what's up, maybe just various junk getting onto Amazon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Solar panels have a big range of performance depending on the quality of materials. Cheap silicon is cheap and nasty and doesn't give good conversion efficiencies.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Those portable solar panels are either jokes or for actual emergencies. For camping and travel you want a Powerbank. And for a Powerbank I would go for a good brand.
The minimum size of solar that is worth using is a car roof. That and a good fat Powerbank in your trunk sounds perfect for your situation.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sounds like the one I got and I can confirm it's slow. Earlier this month I had it in direct noontime sunlight and in 2 hours it managed to charge only 20% of one of my battery packs.

A couple of years ago with similar sunlight and timeframe in late August with more foliage cover, it barely cracked 10%.

I mean, I'm not expecting magic but it's hard for me to see it fully charging a phone or battery pack on a full day hike unless you're spending your time in direct sunlight the entire time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
It's just me but like I turn my phone off or don't really use electronics while hiking. Kind of part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's just me but like I turn my phone off or don't really use electronics while hiking. Kind of part of the fun.
How do you keep shitposting here then???

It's a fair point but as I mentioned it's not really for wilderness hiking, but poo poo like festivals or camping out of a car.