Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress a SJW rant in the year 2022. Didn't the dude get the memo that the overused to point of meaningless term now is "woke".
Anyway I am also a bit surprised that the Hockey Canada stuff isn't being discussed here more. It is really sad how with every other sexual assault scandals in major sports around the world I thought "at least Hockey is safe....oh gently caress". Everyone involved with hockey Canada should lose their job and the whole thing should be rebuilt from the ground up. At least Soccer Canada is just plain incom....nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

So much has been said about hazing, homophobia, and how the rapes commited by the U of O hockey team way back when, that I don't think anyone who's heard those things has been under the impression that hockey was "safe" for some time now.

Why the number of people who've heard those things is so low, however, could make for some entertaining reading

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe jinxing myself since I got my 4th shot yesterday but I feel astonished that people have reported all sorts of symptoms with the vaccines and I feel like at worst I have a sore arm and maybe feel a little tired. It feels hard to imagine I just have a good immune system or something.

Not to discount anyone's experience and whatnot. I doubt I would have been excited to get my 3rd or 4th had it made me feel like poo poo for days.

Perhaps you have an incredibly weak immune system and that's why you don't have noticeable immune response symptoms?

IDK, I'm in the same boat as you wrt reactions to the vaccines, but I'm getting my second booster in a few hours, so I guess we'll see.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McGavin posted:

Disregarding the importance of the Pope's apology to the survivors of residential schools is :chloe:

Not that I'm in any position to judge the sincerity or impact of the apology, but is the church actually doing anything about their rampant abuse problem besides asking for forgiveness?

TrueChaos posted:

There is a distinct difference between treatment and prevention.

Add in that outside of high risk groups, published literature isn't clear on how much additional benefit a 4th shot provides, and I understand the hesitancy. I'm not going to book a 4th shot unless it's mandatory - the likelihood of having a bad outcome as a result of omicron with 3 shots is already very small, and the benefit appears minor (based on available research). Personally, shots #2 & #3 have meant a full week of feeling like absolute dogshit - aches and pains, migraines, upset stomach / no appetite, and multiple days with a fever above 103F / 39.5C. I only have so many sick days, and I'm not willing to go through that for a marginal at best improvement. This cbc article has links to the research in question:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/fourth-dose-covid-vaccine-canada-omicron-ba5-1.6521937

If boosters didn't make me feel like garbage I'd have signed up already, but a marginal at best short term benefit vs a week of feeling lovely doesn't have me running out to get jabbed. If the omicron specific ones currently in development show significant improvement in the fall I'll certainly get it at that point.

The article doesn't seem to reference the recent CDC report that does claim that the 4th booster is effective against early Omicron variants (and that the 3rd dose's effectiveness wanes past 4 months). Maybe that one came out too near the deadline to be included, but it's a notable omission. Granted, there are caveats as with anything - the US still only recommends the 2nd booster for the immunocompromised and 50+ year olds, and the aforementioned study doesn't seem to have changed their minds about expanding to 30+ or 18+, but it may just be a matter of time.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

I really take issue with people calling the effects of a 4th dose "marginal". Some of the protections are muted but what a fourth dose does is boost your virus neutralizing titers up to their maximal post 3rd dose levels. Those titers will have dropped off a cliff 5-6 months post 3rd dose. The effect isn't marginal, it's a 2x or more multiplier. Waiting for the new bivalent vaccine in development instead is dangerous because by the time we see it available, you could be 12 months out from your 3rd dose and there's no studies on where your COVID resistance will be by then but we can make a reasonable assumption that it will be even worse than the post 5 month levels.

The reason there isn't a body of evidence that encourages 4th dose in healthy, under 60 adults is that Omicron is too new to have the results of those studies completed as of yet, but we can extrapolate from the studies on over-60s that a 4th dose is safe and will have a beneficial effect.

e: I should add I'm talking about personal safety re: fighting a symptomatic infection, the effect on preventing infection does seem to be closer to marginal.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 20, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Perhaps you have an incredibly weak immune system and that's why you don't have noticeable immune response symptoms?

IDK, I'm in the same boat as you wrt reactions to the vaccines, but I'm getting my second booster in a few hours, so I guess we'll see.

Oh. I didn't think that was an option, I assumed a weak immune system would mean worse reaction. :mildpanic:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
In other pandemic news, I just found out that eczema makes me super susceptible to monkeypox and ineligible to receive the common 'live' vaccine. Great!

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
What about the timing of a Fourth dose after a covid infection? I'm seeing to wait 3 months. Is that real?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

DrBox posted:

Why do peoples brains shut down around this topic? Comparing oppression to highlight a point is not saying the victims are the same.

New here?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Another Bill posted:

I really take issue with people calling the effects of a 4th dose "marginal". Some of the protections are muted but what a fourth dose does is boost your virus neutralizing titers up to their maximal post 3rd dose levels. Those titers will have dropped off a cliff 5-6 months post 3rd dose. The effect isn't marginal, it's a 2x or more multiplier. Waiting for the new bivalent vaccine in development instead is dangerous because by the time we see it available, you could be 12 months out from your 3rd dose and there's no studies on where your COVID resistance will be by then but we can make a reasonable assumption that it will be even worse than the post 5 month levels.

The reason there isn't a body of evidence that encourages 4th dose in healthy, under 60 adults is that Omicron is too new to have the results of those studies completed as of yet, but we can extrapolate from the studies on over-60s that a 4th dose is safe and will have a beneficial effect.

e: I should add I'm talking about personal safety re: fighting a symptomatic infection, the effect on preventing infection does seem to be closer to marginal.

Man, I'll feel so much better a week or two after I get my booster later today. I mean, I'll probably be back to where I am now come October, but hey, it's 2-3 months of additional protection during a wave.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Madkal posted:

Anyway I am also a bit surprised that the Hockey Canada stuff isn't being discussed here more. It is really sad how with every other sexual assault scandals in major sports around the world I thought "at least Hockey is safe....oh gently caress". Everyone involved with hockey Canada should lose their job and the whole thing should be rebuilt from the ground up. At least Soccer Canada is just plain incom....nevermind.

Wait people thought hockey was safe? I mean there's been very high level sexual assault allegations re: coaches for decades (thinking Theo Fleury here), and also every hockey team I knew as a young adult had an overwhelmingly disproportionate amount of bro-ey assholes in it, I was 0% surprised when I heard about it, and 0% surprised that Hockey Canada had attempted a half assed coverup. That's what privileged sports organizations do.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Hockey Canada and hockey in general is run by rich white boomers and xers who continue to be rich white boomers and xers stodgily refusing to change anything. Hockey Dads™ are continually the worst people.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Remember when one of the hosts of The Social made a comment about the dark side of hockey in this country and every remotely conservative voice came out to tell her to shut up because it's not happening, or that the positive incidences make up for the bad stuff?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

keg gift card havers congratulations on having 100 bucks for booze and billy miner pie

hockey canada delenda est

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
anyone have any inside info on under 5 vaccines... we have talked to a bunch of healthcare workers and nobody knows anything

I don't understand the hold up. It's just a 1/4 dose of moderna. They should have started like the day of the approval. Everyone has the supplies already.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have no idea what The Social is but I'm not surprised. It took a very long time for people to come to terms with the fact that just because Don Cherry wears silly suits doesn't mean he should be allowed to go on long sexist and racist rants on national TV. Leave that for the Tories, Don!

Anyway

MA-Horus posted:

hockey canada delenda est

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

mojo1701a posted:

Remember when one of the hosts of The Social made a comment about the dark side of hockey in this country and every remotely conservative voice came out to tell her to shut up because it's not happening, or that the positive incidences make up for the bad stuff?

She slandered hockey players AND Don Cherry, the ultimate crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMaV-x0HLI

Sorry I couldn't find a better source, all you need to watch is the first minute or so.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

RBC posted:

anyone have any inside info on under 5 vaccines... we have talked to a bunch of healthcare workers and nobody knows anything

I don't understand the hold up. It's just a 1/4 dose of moderna. They should have started like the day of the approval. Everyone has the supplies already.

For the 5-12 they needed separate shipments, apparently it wasn't realistic to safely pull a child dose from the adult vials. Might be the same thing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DaysBefore posted:

Lmao welcome to Hell friend. Goon meet at the Keg and we'll close down the bar on our gift cards.

In fact I checked the letter mine came in again and there was a second $50 card in there.

If you come to Kingston you can treat me to a meal and I can give you the inside track on what parts of town suck and which parts are ok.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Sorry that I ripped the cat converter off your truck in response to your lovely "f*ck trudeau" sticker but if it makes you feel better, it wasn't really political i just needed some beer money.

You sound unhinged.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

trapstar posted:

You sound unhinged.

Turn on your monitor

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

DaysBefore posted:

Turn on your monitor

Nice meltdown

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

redbrouw posted:

Nice meltdown

Much like your posting

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

trapstar posted:

You sound unhinged.

You sound like you get all your ideas from Joe Rogan.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ahem,

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Oh. I didn't think that was an option, I assumed a weak immune system would mean worse reaction. :mildpanic:

I don’t think it means anything. I didn’t get a reaction to any of the vaccines and I just shrugged off covid both times I had it, I had a fever of ~37.5 for an afternoon and no other symptoms other than testing positive (and the last time I got covid it was 5 months after my third dose). Everyone is different and it’s highly unpredictable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who's the tiny guy?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Holy Trinity

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
hah, everyone dunked on him for two pages and he only came back for me.

trapstar posted:

You sound unhinged.

it's called a side hustle, or a hobby! if anything it proves i'm well adjusted.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

it's called a side hustle, or a hobby! if anything it proves i'm well adjusted.

"Gonzo Mechanic"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

So you're fine with hunting? What about other forms of domestication, such as dogs, sheep for wool, and so on?

I'm of the mindset that we actually need to depopulate the world as far as "global resources" and "human survival" are concerned. So that would be a no to all those. :)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Who's the tiny guy?

Look into your heart and you'll know the answer

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMN9ns3Hp/?k=1

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 20, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Danaru posted:

Much like your posting

Sir, this is a Keg.

Did I do it right? Apologies if I didn't.

Meanwhile in MY province David Eby looks like he is going to take over the BCNDP, and while I really liked Eby as the opposition when the BCLibs were in power, his record since the NDP have been in has been somewhat spotty. I saw an interview with him today and he was asked what has he done/the party done that will make BC folks want to vote for him in the next election and he mentioned the restructuring of ICBC (car insurance) and how people are getting a nice 100 dollar check which sounds great if you ignore how the restructuring screws over anyone hit by a car and left with serious injuries. He also mentions working to bring more housing for middle class but didn't address housing prices so that seemed to be missing the forest from the trees.
I will probably still vote BCNDP next election because the BCLibs are just loving awful, but the way he was giving his half measures as major accomplishments just felt off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Madkal posted:

Sir, this is a Keg.

Did I do it right? Apologies if I didn't.

New thread title. All of it. It captures our fondness of debating the Keg, and our Canadian propensity to apologize unnecessarily.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

trapstar posted:

My city is banning plastic bags and trying to put even more restrictions on us. They also want to legally restrict you from cutting down a tree on your own property because of the "environment" The culture here getting toxic with some people trying to push the leftist agenda despite Alberta being mostly Convervative. There are actually some full-blown SJWs in my city, I hear about them on the news.

Do you understand that our actions have effects on other people or do you think we all exist in isolation? Plastic bags and the amount of packaging we use in general doesn’t seem to me like a good thing as they fill up more and more landfill space. I don’t see how we can reduce this without heavy handed rules because the status quo is easier than changing.

I’m also curious what you think of mask mandates and carbon taxes. For mask mandates, do you agree that masks reduce transmission of deadly viruses and that this works best when everyone is masked in poorly ventilated or filtered settings indoors?

For carbon taxes do you think they should be higher to ensure we don’t further accelerate climate change or lower for some reason?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Evis posted:

For carbon taxes do you think they should be higher to ensure we don’t further accelerate climate change or lower for some reason?

What is this, some kind of social engineering?

There is some idea that the government exists solely to enforce property rights and anything else is seriously overstepping its bounds. I don't know where it came from in Canada, but it's a thing.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Alberta. It came from Alberta.

(The people in Alberta responsible for this idea came from Ontario)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

She slandered hockey players AND Don Cherry, the ultimate crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpMaV-x0HLI

Sorry I couldn't find a better source, all you need to watch is the first minute or so.

Lol why the gently caress would you apologize for this, she got it spot on

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

eXXon posted:

No t that I'm in any position to judge the sincerity or impact of the apology, but is the church actually doing anything about their rampant abuse problem besides asking for forgiveness?

They're promising $30 million, but last time they promised $28 million and only raised $4 million, so my hopes aren't very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Alberta. It came from Alberta.

(The people in Alberta responsible for this idea came from Ontario)

Thank you for making this crucial point. Our problems in the cities of Alberta come from mainly from people who've migrated here from within the province or within the country. Actual immigrants from another country coming here looking for a better life and more opportunity, are great. People who move here from Ontario because "the SJWs are at it again in Ontario" are poo poo from an rear end, as are (typically, but not always) the people who move here from within Alberta because you just can't make an honest day's wage stickin' your johnson into farm animals anymore.

If the Kevin J. Johnstons and Jason Kenneys of the world would stay where the gently caress they were whelped, we'd be in far less of a pickle.