Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the implication was that she was a racist. She just apparently never showed her hand enough for it to be a problem until she was hunting down two brown people at a school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
After watching all the episodes I will say all the characters are great and the actors do a great job. That being said I did find the structure of the show to be a bit disjointed, as if each episode was almost completely disconnected from each other and peoples reason for action just seem to change from one scene to the next. My example of this would be the Djin attacking the wedding after Kamala said she would help them about 10 minutes earlier in the episode.
Overall I thought story wise it just felt like a few different writers going at it with drafts without removing stuff that didn't make sense in the draft before.

One last thing, and this is more of a pet peeve, but are Marvel shows seemingly obsessed with not giving characters their costumes until the final episode?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

One last thing, and this is more of a pet peeve, but are Marvel shows seemingly obsessed with not giving characters their costumes until the final episode?

Moon Knight has (one of) his costume(s) in episode 1.

But yes that does seem to be a bit of a thing doesn't it?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Moon Knight has (one of) his costume(s) in episode 1.

But yes that does seem to be a bit of a thing doesn't it?

You can also discount FAWS because he doesn't actually become Captain America till the end.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Really hoping She-Hulk has the scene in the last episode where Jen gets given the special high tech box by Banner and he's like "I think it's time you dressed the part" and there's just a ripped pair of purple cutoffs in there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theironjef posted:

Really hoping She-Hulk has the scene in the last episode where Jen gets given the special high tech box by Banner and he's like "I think it's time you dressed the part" and there's just a ripped pair of purple cutoffs in there.

Weird gift from your cousin...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the government oversight of super hero stuff seems like a mess post Snap and maybe that’s intentional. Maybe the different instances of SWORD and Damage Control and even the Falcon and Winter Soldier stuff with Walker and Countessa are all intended to show a vacuum in the absence of SHIELD that has just lead to a dozen agencies all jockeying for power and mishandling everything.

Or it’s a bunch of writers all filling in their own blank for shady government agency. But Fiege seems to have more oversight than to just not care about that so my feeling is that it’s building to something, possibly in Secret Invasion. Maybe a return purpose for SHIELD.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bruceski posted:

Maybe he's a never nude?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bruceski posted:

Alternate joke is just that her outfit, just being purple and grey workout clothes, is presented in one of those high tech super boxes but still has a Lululemon price tag on it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Madkal posted:

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1446151707029917697?s=20&t=GVdWXFZPGHyTLCzy2iSd-g

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

STAC Goat posted:

I think the government oversight of super hero stuff seems like a mess post Snap and maybe that’s intentional. Maybe the different instances of SWORD and Damage Control and even the Falcon and Winter Soldier stuff with Walker and Countessa are all intended to show a vacuum in the absence of SHIELD that has just lead to a dozen agencies all jockeying for power and mishandling everything.

Or it’s a bunch of writers all filling in their own blank for shady government agency. But Fiege seems to have more oversight than to just not care about that so my feeling is that it’s building to something, possibly in Secret Invasion. Maybe a return purpose for SHIELD.
Meanwhile the normal CIA still exists in the MCU somehow

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Meanwhile the normal CIA still exists in the MCU somehow

You say this like IRL there's not a dozen intertwining security agencies with both unique and overlapping jurisdictions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as long as there are foreign governments to destabilize the CIA will exist

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

as long as there are governments to destabilize the CIA will exist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah SHIELD was the improbable thing. One agency competently run with authority and control over anything in their jurisdiction as they determine it. The current state seems closer to reality. A dozen different letter agencies that all kind of seem like they’re doing similar things with shady jurisdiction and incompetent and corrupt management.

That could be the new normal. It reflects reality. Just a dysfunctional corrupt political mess. But it could all be building to Fury reemerging to bring SHIELD back or something. Basically a parallel theme to the whole “who are the Avengers now? What happens if we need them?” thing that’s come up a bunch of times in Phase 4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember when SHIELD apparently had the ability to order a nuclear strike on Manhattan?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

Remember when SHIELD apparently had the ability to order a nuclear strike on Manhattan?

And they did

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really wanted to like Ms. Marvel because I enjoy her comics so much but it's really left me cold. Part of it is that they're obviously telling an origin story but it also feels like they've skipped ahead to a second or third season at the same time. We don't really get a baseline established of the adventures she gets up to in New Jersey as a superhero, with her supporting cast of friends before they're dropped and she jets off to Pakistan. Otherwise fine to do! But flying the hero to a totally different place, away from her support structure, meeting other heroes, delving into her family history and all that feels like stuff you do later on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

But when you don't know if there's going to be a second season, or if you'll be the person to write that second season, and you really want to tell a Partition story, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It is darkly hilarious that most (white) Americans only learn about the Tulsa massacre and the Partition from watching super-hero shows. Like, I learned about Tulsa before Watchmen, but only barely and long after I left school, and I knew India and Pakistan were joined as a British colony and split when the Brits left, but no real clue about what that split entailed or that there was a poo poo ton of forced migration.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

When Winter Solider came out that fact that SHIELD was secretly run by Nazis was tougher for people to move past. Nowadays they'll just be like "Yeah make sense, whatever"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It is darkly hilarious that most (white) Americans only learn about the Tulsa massacre and the Partition from watching super-hero shows. Like, I learned about Tulsa before Watchmen, but only barely and long after I left school, and I knew India and Pakistan were joined as a British colony and split when the Brits left, but no real clue about what that split entailed or that there was a poo poo ton of forced migration.

Hey man, some of us learned about partition from Trevor Slattery's award winning performance in a Gandhi biopic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One of the weirder aspects of Ms. Marvel and the ominous secret government organization run by racists is the scene were white New Jersey Cops stand up to said ominous secret government organization run by racists.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

Hey man, some of us learned about partition from Trevor Slattery's award winning performance in a Gandhi biopic.

:hmmyes:

^^^^ people talk about propaganda in the mcu, that was copaganda

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

When Winter Solider came out that fact that SHIELD was secretly run by Nazis was tougher for people to move past. Nowadays they'll just be like "Yeah make sense, whatever"

Anybody who was surprised by that just doesn't know the history of American intelligence agencies.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Skwirl posted:

World Security Council.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Which is apparently not the same thing as the UN security council

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

One of the weirder aspects of Ms. Marvel and the ominous secret government organization run by racists is the scene were white New Jersey Cops stand up to said ominous secret government organization run by racists.

I mean they immediately let the DODC goons past them when they advanced on Kamala, so it's not like it was any more than token resistance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Skwirl posted:

Anybody who was surprised by that just doesn't know the history of American intelligence agencies.

The Space Race AKA "who had the better Nazis?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The Space Race AKA "who had the better Nazis?"

NASA exists because we got the the Nazi best at physics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

live with fruit posted:

World Security Council.

They’re part of SHIELD, that’s just the name for the oversight committee.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skwirl posted:

I knew India and Pakistan were joined as a British colony and split when the Brits left, but no real clue about what that split entailed or that there was a poo poo ton of forced migration.

I never learned about any of the particulars, but I just assumed that previously being a British colonial holding it was a bloody, horrific shitshow

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I never learned about any of the particulars, but I just assumed that previously being a British colonial holding it was a bloody, horrific shitshow

Thanks to the wonderful sport of cricket I know more than I thought I would about India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Opopanax posted:

I remember someone around here saying they hated the movie cause that was such an unrealistic and juvenile concept. Still funny thinking about that to this day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

site posted:

j
lol at the "good" cops

Blade still has the most accurate depiction of what would happen if the cops saw a superhero that isn't white_
https://twitter.com/jakeandhispain/status/1547265802017071105

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Madkal posted:

Thanks to the wonderful sport of cricket I know more than I thought I would about India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

But do you know what a crumpet is?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sgt. Politeness posted:

A pancake from the region of Crump?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Tiny Tina's favorite snack?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I know you gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if younger people get that reference.