Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes? The point of AC is to lower the ambient temperature in a particular location, not to blow in air that’s the same ambient temperature as wherever the ducts in your house run.

Your ducts run inside your already-insulated house, the same location you’re trying to heat/cool. So what is it you need to insulate from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

lil poopendorfer posted:

Your ducts run inside your already-insulated house, the same location you’re trying to heat/cool. So what is it you need to insulate from?

The heat or cold, mostly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much did your ductectomy cost ?

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My assumption would be attic or crawlspace, if you're on a concrete pad and the attic is finished or doesn't exist, then of course it doesn't make sense to insulate the ductwork.

But I've lived in Memphis with an uninsulated attic and you bet your rear end I taped up every leak I could find in that goddamn space.

E: that house also had flexible duct as permanent. lovely builders use lovely tactics.

Ya we agree. The op probably misspoke but I got the mental image of some grifter hvac dude upselling insulated ducts to some rube and here am I arguing on the internet about it :D

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

The heat or cold, mostly.

That’s why they insulate exterior walls. HTH

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

lil poopendorfer posted:

Buddy I don't give a poo poo what the temp is inside the loving wall or crawl space, I want to regulate the temp in the actual rooms. Insulating the ducts means I use less energy to heat or cool my house.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lil poopendorfer posted:

Not in the South.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Ya we agree. The op probably misspoke but I got the mental image of some grifter hvac dude upselling insulated ducts to some rube and here am I arguing on the internet about it :D

Yeah, the use is circumstantial. If your hvac/furnace is just sitting in the middle of the house in a closet, it's pointless, but there's a lot of hilariously, poorly insulated homes with hot attics, and for some dumbass reason half the country would rather put it all in the hottest part of the house with no insulation to speak of.

My house in Memphis, they installed the water heater and furnace before closing off the attic space and putting in a tiny door. That just meant whenever something failed, it was bound to stay until a new furnace had to go in. Left a dead 50gal water heater up there.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Jul 20, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I don't have any insulation in my walls but there are like three layers of wood shingles + insulbrick + vinyl siding on the outside so it works just as good.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

my $4000 house looked like that

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

War and Pieces posted:

my $4000 house looked like that

It's not the cheapest house I've found recently. That was a gutted $6k house in a cornfield town.

Midwestern loot box.

Apr 7, 2003

If you don't expect much out of life and you aren't too picky about where you live, you can still buy a palace for cheap in Pennsylvania north of I80.

The entire region has been economically dead for decades but hey, cheap houses.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Too much space, your utility bill would be as big as the mortgage.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

my $400000 house looked like that

Apr 7, 2003

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If you don't expect much out of life and you aren't too picky about where you live, you can still buy a palace for cheap in Pennsylvania north of I80.

The entire region has been economically dead for decades but hey, cheap houses.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Too much space, your utility bill would be as big as the mortgage.

yeah holy poo poo 3,240 square feet? that only makes sense if you're the Brady Bunch

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want housing.

I’m skimming the real estate analyses and prices still not coming down :mad:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I went to grad school with a guy from Shamokin. Confirmed that it is a depressing shithole.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want housing.

I’m skimming the real estate analyses and prices still not coming down :mad:

they might only come down in secondary markets. there’s still a long term shortage.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Give me house. House me. House now. Me a house needing a lot now.

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

I went to grad school with a guy from Shamokin. Confirmed that it is a depressing shithole.

I grew up there. Threw all my poo poo in my car in 1999 and drove here. Best thing I ever did.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lil poopendorfer posted:

where do you think the ducts are running exactly? They are frequently running outside the insulated envelope, between the insulation and the exterior shell (like an attic or crawlspace)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

bawfuls posted:

where do you think the ducts are running exactly? They are frequently running outside the insulated envelope, between the insulation and the exterior shell (like an attic or crawlspace)

Now now you don't know what all he wants out of his house - what if he wants to keep that blooming mold colony in his wall nice and toasty during the winter

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
sssshhhhamokin!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that old people skin post isn't real right

RIGHT???

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
"The National Association of Realtors (NAR) reported that international buyers combined to purchase $59 billion worth of U.S. residential properties between April 2021 and March 2022, up 8.5% from the same period one year earlier. Chinese Investors accounted for $6.1 billion dollars in home purchases, totaling over 10% of the market. "

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

$59 billion sounds like a lot but I have no idea what the total market is over that time period

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bawfuls posted:

$59 billion sounds like a lot but I have no idea what the total market is over that time period

59 bil is like 150k median homes but if you're an overseas investor you're probably buying places in seattle, the bay area, LA, and nyc

if you're buying 2 million dollar places, thats like, 30k of them lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/wealth/status/1549781909542039552?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last summer we replaced the a/c unit and all the ductwork, which was crappy out of date stuff and according to the guy in charge filled with decades of old people skin (house is from '75). he seemed legit disgusted by the idea of living with old ducts

I just took the shell off the ac unit and cleaned all the poo poo off the coils…looked like my computers heatsink but now it’s working good as new :pray:

also all of my ducts are located within the insulated parts of my house hell yeah

i am harry has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Jul 21, 2022

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fortaleza posted:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

give house me give buy house me buy house give me buy house give me you

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Hello, Mr... Kurns. I bad want... house now. Me sick.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

house pls

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i rent a small apartment which is like a house but... less so

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

oh. awesome.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

NGL would move to Europe if I could get an equivalent job there and it had moderate-low col.

Apr 7, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/wealth/status/1549781913564581891

Mama Mia!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*moves to portugal*

*country hits 117 degrees, is on fire, no A/C*

quote:

For Jamie Dixon, 37, moving to Portugal from Los Angeles last July with her seven-year-old daughter and husband was made possible by the switch to a remote job and getting a permanent residency visa which required having a lease, a bank account and health insurance in the country.

I'm confused by this, by "lease" do they mean a rental agreement like here, or do you have to buy a home?

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Jul 21, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm going to gentrify germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

actionjackson posted:

*moves to portugal*

*country hits 117 degrees, is on fire, no A/C*

for the past month youtube has been shoving videos of europeans/british people moving to rural central Portugal to establish homesteads in my recs

kinda curious to see how theyre doing in those tents and campers rn