Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Three Olives posted:

But they, do? A run of the mill Ford crossover has a starting MSRP lower than a BMW 2-series. Car pricing has gotten super weird.

Someone said that a new BMW costs more than $30k, and your response is "actually, a new BMW is more expensive than a run of the mill Ford".

The structure of your post says you disagree with them, but the content supports their point, so I don't really get what you're trying to say.

Edit: this might be a regional difference thing. In Canada, where Linus lives, a new BMW 2 series starts around $60k.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
He isn't too far off, as the baby suv X1 starts at 35k, which would of been 30k not too long ago. And it wasn't that long ago I can recall the 2 series base model was drat near 30k.

Covid did a mess to car prices across the board.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Kramjacks posted:

Someone said that a new BMW costs more than $30k, and your response is "actually, a new BMW is more expensive than a run of the mill Ford".

The structure of your post says you disagree with them, but the content supports their point, so I don't really get what you're trying to say.

Edit: this might be a regional difference thing. In Canada, where Linus lives, a new BMW 2 series starts around $60k.

Sorry, I meant higher. A base Ford Edge with cloth manual seats starts at $38,000 and it's like a car that you would think nothing of if you saw your kid's middle school teacher driving it.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 20, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i really miss written articles and youtube is loving stupid

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The cheapest BMW model with the worst trim level is closer to $37k US and obviously it's higher in Canada. I don't know why people are trying to split hairs about this.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Inept posted:

i really miss written articles and youtube is loving stupid

What's going on guys? Hey wibble wobbles I'm super header and I'm here today to tell you about nvidia's brand new founders edition card they sent me. If you like this kind of content don't forget to like and subscribe, click the notification bell so you see more videos from me in the future, smash that like button and if you really like this content check out my socials the links for those are in the description below. Full disclosure this is a sponsored video I didn't pay for this video card, special thanks to nvidia. Super parter have a brand new deal for you with their ultra lightweight super built blah blah blah

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you can only run the thermosyphon while lying down, ie, since it's a cpu cooler only if your tower is horizontal? and gigantic, given how big it is. what possible use could that have outside of test benches? what a terrible product lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

you can only run the thermosyphon while lying down, ie, since it's a cpu cooler only if your tower is horizontal? and gigantic, given how big it is. what possible use could that have outside of test benches? what a terrible product lol

You can use it in either position.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 20, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can use it in either position.

ooooooh, it's got like a pivot in it or something? what linus said was confusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeQX1uhb0iQ&t=150s

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

ooooooh, it's got like a pivot in it or something? what linus said was confusing

He said that you need to have it in the correct orientation, which is true, but he just left out what those orientations were. The two orientations in that image are the correct ones. You can't have it upside down, and I think only one sideways orientation works

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus' channel has never really been about budget stuff so I'm not sure why people are surprised that the channel that is all about petabytes of data storage and 16k gaming is posting weird out of touch/bad taste financial poo poo.

I'm curious if people will follow him for the hardcore data stuff that they just built a big lab for - I go to Steve @ GN when I want data. Linus is for tech flavored dumb entertainment.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm curious if people will follow him for the hardcore data stuff that they just built a big lab for - I go to Steve @ GN when I want data. Linus is for tech flavored dumb entertainment.

He sure seems like he wants the ability to compete with GN etc. in terms of technical ability but I'm very curious what the presentation will be like. I have a hard time believing he'll manage to have an LMG channel put out videos nearly as dry as GN manages, but that's what you need to actually fairly compare anything non-trivial. Not to mention, if they're really trying to review every single product category or whatever, how many videos a week is that going to take?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

power crystals posted:

He sure seems like he wants the ability to compete with GN etc. in terms of technical ability but I'm very curious what the presentation will be like. I have a hard time believing he'll manage to have an LMG channel put out videos nearly as dry as GN manages, but that's what you need to actually fairly compare anything non-trivial. Not to mention, if they're really trying to review every single product category or whatever, how many videos a week is that going to take?

CPUs are a yearly affair but it can be distributed over a couple of quarters if you do EVERY SKU under the sun. Same with GPUs. Motherboards have a shitload more items to fetch and so does AIO and accessories. If they go with one type of review per day(one day CPU, one day GPU, one day MOBO, one day cooling, one day input/output devices), every week, they can fill a calendar year easily.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

For LMG to compete with GN, they also have to match up against the incumbent's reputation. GN's reputation as the source for well-researched technical analysis of enthusiast hardware, sober and unbiased reporting, and willingness to take vendors to task for their fuckups is going to be a much higher wall to vault for the LMG, famous for their wacky comedic excess content.

You can throw money at things like technical expertise, equipment, and writers to get up to parity quickly. It's harder to buy a reputation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I mean the lab looks huge and he has a bunch of people working there yeah

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's going to be an interesting balancing act between "sober lmg tech analysis" and youtube thumbnails and titles that get the right amount of engagement compared to their other videos

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if they spun up yet another channel for this kind of content (like they did for Techquickie or Techlinked or whatever.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gamers Vinculum

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Warmachine posted:

For LMG to compete with GN, they also have to match up against the incumbent's reputation. GN's reputation as the source for well-researched technical analysis of enthusiast hardware, sober and unbiased reporting, and willingness to take vendors to task for their fuckups is going to be a much higher wall to vault for the LMG, famous for their wacky comedic excess content.

You can throw money at things like technical expertise, equipment, and writers to get up to parity quickly. It's harder to buy a reputation.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. As kliras was saying these videos would need to be pretty tonally different from the rest of the LMG channels and I wonder how much Linus will be able to resist dumb clickbait engagement poo poo.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I tend to use LTT as a starting point into different things (Linux, data storage etc)and it was with his channel that I found out about all of the other tech youtubers. Unless it's a video hosted by Anthony, I generally do not try out their guides.

Plus as much as I hate to say this, it's nice to turn off the brain when you are done with work for the day and just watch something silly and LTT is perfect for that I think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Warmachine posted:

They just need to post high-quality analysis and people will pay attention. That's all it will take.

Two new people they showed in that labs video were poached from RTINGS, btw (Sam and Antoine). So it would be fair to expect at least that level of analysis from the written articles he said he planned on publishing (though he said that a while ago and hasn't brought it up since)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CoolCab posted:

Not clicking on it but this is the guy who slams watercooling into everything even when it doesn't matter so I question his sincerity

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

BattleMaster posted:

Not clicking on it but this is the guy who slams watercooling into everything even when it doesn't matter so I question his sincerity

it's almost like the video title is clickbait and doesn't really reflect the content of the video.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HKR posted:

it's almost like the video title is clickbait and doesn't really reflect the content of the video.

No, surely not?!?!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of clickbait, this is the title GN went with for a video where an Intel guy goes over some pretty mundane minutiae of performance tracking (some of it was interesting!):

Intel is Hiding Data from Us: What GPU Benchmarks Don't Tell You

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of clickbait, this is the title GN went with for a video where an Intel guy goes over some pretty mundane minutiae of performance tracking (some of it was interesting!):

Intel is Hiding Data from Us: What GPU Benchmarks Don't Tell You

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1548755464774639617?t=Gwimo_uBTGR99IOUrxOYtg&s=19

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The title didn't even make sense

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

YouTube title secrets that Rinkles is hiding from you!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They just need to post high-quality analysis and people will pay attention. That's all it will take.
Considering the focus on headphones, we'll see about it. Linus has been subject to extreme audiophoolery in the past, and if some future headphone review ends with some phrase like "you can't measure how things actually sound blahblahblah", that'll be the canary.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering the focus on headphones, we'll see about it. Linus has been subject to extreme audiophoolery in the past, and if some future headphone review ends with some phrase like "you can't measure how things actually sound blahblahblah", that'll be the canary.

Linus isn't going to be involved in any of the actual analysis. The guy they're getting for headphones is an ex-RTINGS tester, which is a site that tries to take as scientific and objective of an approach to as possible (to the extent that even some audiophile skeptics think they go too far in trying to objectively quantify stuff like soundstage and imaging)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe, but I expect him to chaperone the first bunch of videos (until the new staff is considered familiar to the viewers), and then have him give his stupid hot take at the end of them.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I think he said the super dry stuff will be on the website but the videos will be more high level.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That sounds good. RTings is pretty great, and in my experience they tend to reply to reader misgivings directly and honestly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

I think he said the super dry stuff will be on the website but the videos will be more high level.

which is the same way GN often does a bunch of stuff and that's fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mods please change the title to “floatplane tech idiots fandom thread”

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Mods please change the title to “floatplane tech idiots fandom thread”

Use your secret mod handshake to make it happen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
RE Linus chat, I don't think it goes deeper than average nerd wins the algorithm lottery, nerd's business-savy wife spins that win into something sustainable, average nerd takes his success to mean he is an authority on most things, including nuanced issues he has no lived experience in or where he is at the top end of a power dynamic he can't see.

You see it all the time in all sorts of stuff where there's fandom mixed with income and it's just another argument that the internet was a mistake.

But as much as he's a huge slab of tech beef brain with too much money, at least he's not as bad as Notch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My favourite tweet about Linus was that he’s incredibly knowledgeable about technology and literally nothing else. I think when he was trying to tweet about tampons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not a great look to take the overly-defensive route on this one but I get that having to care about YouTube metrics is bad for the brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Agreed, I like GN a lot, but that’s a stupid tweet.

Although I will say that I get that it’s gotta be frustrating when you’re in a sea of YouTube crap and you’re one of the only ones trying to be honest.

You can see their frustration of that one video that was rated mature or whatever by mistake. People build huge businesses around these platforms and are helpless when it comes to affecting change on it or even simple feedback.

YouTube literally taking food from their plates