Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

you cant really cast sharp edges tho so this is not your fault.

this guy tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhW4XFGQB4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you gotta have friends for that

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
have you considered sexual congress with another human being

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
no thats gross

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Thinking about becoming a car guy.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gotta start listening to either anime soundtracks or rockabilly, depending on which kind of car

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

post your Miata

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ive heard it chafes a bit

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
maybe i should start collecting things like stamps or butterflies or covid variants or retro games or commemorative dinner plates

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wtf is a miata

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm a car guy now, it's cool. Wearing black nitrile gloves, hunched over an open engine bay, muttering "yup" and "dangit" all the time

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

I'm a car guy now, it's cool. Wearing black nitrile gloves, hunched over an open engine bay, muttering "yup" and "dangit" all the time

blasting a plastic clip off of something into the bowels of the engine bay, it's only sold as part of a complete assembly. I fix it with zip ties. yup, nobody does work on my own car as carefully as me I say, as I waste another weekend taking three times as long to do a job as someone with training and all of the proper tools

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Asleep Style posted:

blasting a plastic clip off of something into the bowels of the engine bay, it's only sold as part of a complete assembly. I fix it with zip ties. yup, nobody does work on my own car as carefully as me I say, as I waste another weekend taking three times as long to do a job as someone with training and all of the proper tools

Lost a mounting screw for the vacuum pump attached to the engine and had a "[small metal clank noise] ... oh no" moment. Wound up getting a replacement from a hardware store and finished the job but it was more than a month ago and that missing screw never turned up, all I know is that it didn't fall into the engine

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

Lost a mounting screw for the vacuum pump attached to the engine and had a "[small metal clank noise] ... oh no" moment. Wound up getting a replacement from a hardware store and finished the job but it was more than a month ago and that missing screw never turned up, all I know is that it didn't fall into the engine

it fell out of the engine bay in your driveway and will be found in your tire. I wish it could be different but it's not up to me

at least a screw you have a chance of retrieving with the ol magnet on a stick, depending on the material

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Fortaleza posted:

your not a car guy until you've experienced the thrill of boiling dirty oil pouring down your arm into your sleeve from a shitbox audi or VW several times on a 101° day and what the gently caress kind of "engineer" puts an oil filter so close to the exhaust manifold that you can't reach it without burning the poo poo out of yourself and the last motherfucker who touched this thing didn't lube the gasket and overtightened the oval office like he was building the space shuttle. also your curses are too tame.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was helping my elderly neighbor check her oil the other day and i literally had to grab a crescent wrench to get the oil filler cap cracked. jfc jiffy lube

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Jonny 290 posted:

i was helping my elderly neighbor check her oil the other day and i literally had to grab a crescent wrench to get the oil filler cap cracked. jfc jiffy lube

i had a pile of channel locks for exactly this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There are a bunch of dads on youtube that tell you things about your car. It's pretty cool.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you should make things out of wood and hand tools

ask rotor about it, he loves it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i own a 1990 french hatchback, the only choices are to become a car guy or to sell your organs to pay mechanic bills

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

you should make things out of wood and hand tools

ask rotor about it, he loves it

wood ... is good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the weird thing is that wood power tools are almost universally awful, huge noisy dust generators so i've mostly stuck to hand tools because its supposed to be relaxing and fun. Which means its relaxing and fun, but i take a long time to actually make things.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
table saws rule. bandsaws rule. drill presses rule

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

table saws rule. bandsaws rule. drill presses rule

wrong. correct. im on the fence for this one.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean bandsaws "rule" in the sense that I tolerate them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
power tool tier list

S: shapers, quiet drill presses with big motors and low rpm
A: loud drill presses, reciprocating saws, mills
B: table saws
C: bandsaws, handheld circulars
D: rotozips, angle grinders
F: planers, bench grinders

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all three are excellent tools because they do a better, faster, and easier job than handtools

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sure go gently caress your kitchen knives up on a 600rpm bench grinder i dont give a poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

planers i also tolerate because while they are indeed loud as hell they actually dont generate a ton of dust, mostly just a tidy pile of shavings, and they save a TON of time and effort planing to thickness

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

power tool tier list

S: shapers, quiet drill presses with big motors and low rpm
A: loud drill presses, reciprocating saws, mills
B: table saws
C: bandsaws, handheld circulars
D: rotozips, angle grinders
F: planers, bench grinders

not seeing a lathe on that list

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

sure go gently caress your kitchen knives up on a 600rpm bench grinder i dont give a poo poo

please add a water wheel grinder to your S-Tier list, they're quiet and nice and make sharpening your poo poo when the blades get dinged way less of a hassle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate them because i had this old buddy that taught me blues guitar and at his cabinet shop job, a piece of maple with a knot in it - combined with a planer - cost him three of his playin' fingers. Poor sonofabitch had to re-learn lefty.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i hate them because i had this old buddy that taught me blues guitar and at his cabinet shop job, a piece of maple with a knot in it - combined with a planer - cost him three of his playin' fingers. Poor sonofabitch had to re-learn lefty.

a thickness planer? one of these guys?

seems like you'd have to work pretty hard to lose a finger to that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
please do not remove the guards, anti-kickback protections, or other safety mechanisms from your tools. drill press u gotta be super careful to make sure your work piece is clamped down cause if the bit catches that piece is gonna blast anything in its radius.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

please do not remove the guards, anti-kickback protections, or other safety mechanisms from your tools. drill press u gotta be super careful to make sure your work piece is clamped down cause if the bit catches that piece is gonna blast anything in its radius.

counterpoint: do whatever you want, its your shop and your fingers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

a thickness planer? one of these guys?

seems like you'd have to work pretty hard to lose a finger to that

that but about 4x the size. Blade caught the knot, locked up for like 10 milliseconds and then everything gave way and all the stored tension kicked the board back out the feed and blasted him in the hand

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Whats the best tool brand

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Bosch

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ryobi or milwaukee depending on your vibe

for hand tools it depends on what type but wera or knippex are good places to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

looking forward to several pages of angry posts