Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

I had a thought relating to the budget cap for this season and how teams might have strategically planned for that over the course of a year.

What if Mercedes purposely kept their car as "poo poo" for the first bunch of races over the course of this season, knowing that RBR/Ferrari would initiate an arms race of updates tying to one-up each other from the start, and thus immensely burning cash towards their season budget cap very early on. This would result in both RBR/Ferrari being much less likely (or able) to introduce additional car updates later in the season, directly impacting their car performance in the back half of the season. Once that begins to hit, Mercedes begins to deploy real updates to the car that puts it out of the performance reach of the RBR/Ferrari cars.

:master:? :thunk:

Wild theory OP That really checks out. Makes total sense

Just one more thing though, why would you waste money designing and rolling out a poo poo car for some 4D chess when you could do the same thing but with a good car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a 4D chess theory about Mercedes. They intentionally sabotaged their season by retaining the mentally broken and demotivated Instagram and Netflix superstar Lewis "Poois" Hamilton.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

italian quid posted:

Wild theory OP That really checks out. Makes total sense

Just one more thing though, why would you waste money designing and rolling out a poo poo car for some 4D chess when you could do the same thing but with a good car?

idk op, maybe ask james over at merc that? hth

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:lewis:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Here's a super wild theory: Mercedes are poo poo because Toto wants to prove that competitive F1 is actually really boring and what you really need is an F1 equivalent of Kraft Durch Freude to remind you of the value of good, old fashioned, Germanic organised fun.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This season is more exciting then previous years because you never know when the WDC challengers' cars will fail. How many times the past decade has Hamilton's car not finished a race due to non-driver issues? Once, twice maybe?

Of course, I'm a proponent of Russian Roulette Tyres, so what do I know?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
They could even launch a Kraft Durch Freude Wagen and call it the Mercedes whatever the gently caress, chuck a diesel engine in it and sell it for 20-30k.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Edward Mass posted:

This season is more exciting then previous years because you never know when the WDC challengers' cars will fail. How many times the past decade has Hamilton's car not finished a race due to non-driver issues? Once, twice maybe?

Of course, I'm a proponent of Russian Roulette Tyres, so what do I know?

I mean 2016 at Turkey was a pretty pivotal time for his engine to poo poo the bed lol

The engine formula hasn't changed massively this year, it's just Ferrari have their poo poo slightly more together which makes their engine failures more notable. Honda/RBPT has been a well documented trash fire for ages now so I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 20, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean 2016 at Turkey was a pretty pivotal time for his engine to poo poo the bed lol

:dafuq:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Malaysia? Idk, they dont race there now and it is a tilkedrome, who cares.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sepang owns actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0XT6n4OuSY

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

i like the two square plumes of smoke off the rear diffuser

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's almost as if you can trace out all the great corners of old school tracks, take away the hazards of them and then add a ridiculously long straight and the result is still a poo poo, utterly forgettable circuit in the middle of nowhere :thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sepang is extremely adequate. IDK if I can name a single corner on it but I guess the layout isn't like, terrible?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

GramCracker posted:

I had a thought relating to the budget cap for this season and how teams might have strategically planned for that over the course of a year.

What if Mercedes purposely kept their car as "poo poo" for the first bunch of races over the course of this season, knowing that RBR/Ferrari would initiate an arms race of updates tying to one-up each other from the start, and thus immensely burning cash towards their season budget cap very early on. This would result in both RBR/Ferrari being much less likely (or able) to introduce additional car updates later in the season, directly impacting their car performance in the back half of the season. Once that begins to hit, Mercedes begins to deploy real updates to the car that puts it out of the performance reach of the RBR/Ferrari cars.

Merc car bad OP
LMFBO

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GramCracker posted:

no that's dumb as hell actually and toto is nowhere near creative enough

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love how a reoccurring theme between all f1 conspiracy posts is “they are losing on purpose”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

I love how a reoccurring theme between all f1 conspiracy posts is “they are losing on purpose”

if they're winning on purpose it's not really gonna raise eyebrows now is it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

FAUXTON posted:

if they're winning on purpose it's not really gonna raise eyebrows now is it

exactly. seems too suspicious they are losing :shuckyes:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GramCracker posted:

exactly. seems too suspicious they are losing :shuckyes:

Mercedes losing isn't very shocking unless you're toto and you sleep with books in your bed

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Its Brexit OP

The master stroke I mean.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The master stroke is the one I do every time Jenson Button is on screen

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Why would you trot out a poo poo car then trot out a better one later? Put the good car on track sooner and win more money. It's not like them running out of dev money would change anything unless you have a real wild unique design idea

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Only the prolapsed brain mush of this thread or reddit would come up with the galaxy brain strategy of eating poo poo the first half of the year for undefined ungodly advantage in the second half as if thats a thing that realistically could happen lmao.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mercedes might have planned to have a bigger upgrade later in the year, but I highly doubt they wanted their initial car to be this bad before making those upgrades. As mentioned, you get more money for doing better in the constructor’s championship, I don’t think Mercedes wanted to give any of that up.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Hey, man. That mental gymnastics took a lot of time and effort, okay???

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

italian quid posted:

Only the prolapsed brain mush of this thread or reddit would come up with the galaxy brain strategy of eating poo poo the first half of the year for undefined ungodly advantage in the second half as if thats a thing that realistically could happen lmao.

Was it the button year that he won the first half and red bull won the second half?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You mean the BrawnGP year? They literally didn't have money to develop the car lol.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Phil Collins is trash

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

The mercedes upgrade is a new car for 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Zedd posted:

You mean the BrawnGP year? They literally didn't have money to develop the car lol.

Yeah. In my head they won like all of the races in the first half +1 race, then red bull won the rest and button won the championship

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ethanol posted:

Uh no Mercedes built a bad car because they relied too much on garbage in garbage out cfd and the rest of their season can be summed up as shitshow at the gently caress factory

its extremely German engineering to ignore reality and over commit to your calculations so this is definitely what happened and they have been in save face mode since spain testing when they rolled it out

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this is also why they sacrificed Lewis's back to porpoising rather than jettison the "zero side pod" thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SocksAndSandals posted:

The mercedes upgrade is a new pair of drivers for 2023

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Lets hope Lewis gets in there soon and can be the first to break this streak.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

The fix is in

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Max is already over 150 and the dude is 24, jfc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Custard Undies posted:

He's done op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Zedd posted:

Max is already over 150 and the dude is 24, jfc.

Might be time to pack it in.