Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Uglycat posted:

Should any SS agents appear before the committee?

E: and does the committee have meta data of which agents sent texts (and to whom) with a timeline?

Yes, and apparently no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make; this is literally the kidnapping. He had to be there to confirm the results, and the plan for the coup specifically involved removing Pence so they could replace him with Grassley or whoever so they could skip using the electors and go straight to voting using the House method
But this is also a normal secret service operation, moving the VP to a safe location is like their whole point.

Uglycat posted:

Should any SS agents appear before the committee?
Yes, no idea who was involved in the message retention but those guys as well as the actual Trump/Pence detail

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's funny, I bet there is an incredible volume of texts available from the rest of 2020 and 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

But this is also a normal secret service operation, moving the VP to a safe location is like their whole point.

The SS having "move the VP to a secure location" as SOP, and the coup relying on this happening in order to delay certification of the results and move onto the next step of the plan, can both be true.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

In theory. But they deleted the loving text messages that would reveal whether they were doing it to try to protect his life or under the direction of Trump, and then slow walked investigations into what happened that day. The best case scenario is they're so loving stupid they accidentally deleted all their messaging on probably the most important days of their careers, which makes them all so incompetent they need to be fired yesterday

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fuschia tude posted:

The SS having "move the VP to a secure location" as SOP, and the coup relying on this happening in order to delay certification of the results and move onto the next step of the plan, can both be true.
Yes of course, but it doesn't mean they had to be part of the conspiracy

Although...

Lemming posted:

In theory. But they deleted the loving text messages that would reveal whether they were doing it to try to protect his life or under the direction of Trump, and then slow walked investigations into what happened that day. The best case scenario is they're so loving stupid they accidentally deleted all their messaging on probably the most important days of their careers, which makes them all so incompetent they need to be fired yesterday
Definitely, we really need to know which messages were "lost", who was in charge of retaining them, debrief the agents involved, etc. Certainly suspicious.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes of course, but it doesn't mean they had to be part of the conspiracy

Although...

Definitely, we really need to know which messages were "lost", who was in charge of retaining them, debrief the agents involved, etc. Certainly suspicious.

But again, from what we know, they were specifically informed multiple times that if they did not back up or retain their messages, they would be purged and lost forever:

And the simplest explanation, in my opinion, for why *literally nobody* actually went through and preserved those messages despite multiple reminders to is:

Lemming posted:

Seems more like a "hey guys, make sure you back up your messages! If you don't they'll be gone forever and nobody will be able to see anything you texted on the big day! Remember, there's only one point of failure, so if you don't upload them, that's it, they're gone, and nobody would be able to find them again!"

It is beyond my ability to give the benefit of the doubt that they were operating in good faith and just managed to all simultaneously gently caress up completely and utterly. It seems wildly more likely that they were aware things were going to get wiped so none of them backed things up to ensure it was all deleted. I'm aware that this is the opposite side of things in that I'm believing that every single person was in on it; I'm not confident they were all direct supporters of the coup, but it seems much more likely that they were all afraid of getting caught up in the blame which indicates they were aware of what was going on, which is enough to say that yeah, they've all gotta go

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It is possible all of the texts are gone.
But is it likely? I honestly do not think so. It is far too easy to imagine them saved somewhere, at least once. And with NARA involved who knows what kinds of extant but hidden reasons could/would result in them being released?

This is just a variation of "the truth will out" but when there is a cover-up, I think it's always just a matter of time before the cover-up fails or the world moves on and it's forgotten. The latter isn't happening here, even though it's taking longer than any of us want.

Leave open the possibility it'll come out too late, of course.

How many agents sent texts that actually pertain to this coup? Is it some, lots, or lots and lots and lots? Because the more people might have texted information we need, the more opportunities for discovery.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

It is possible all of the texts are gone.
But is it likely? I honestly do not think so. It is far too easy to imagine them saved somewhere, at least once. And with NARA involved who knows what kinds of extant but hidden reasons could/would result in them being released?

This is just a variation of "the truth will out" but when there is a cover-up, I think it's always just a matter of time before the cover-up fails or the world moves on and it's forgotten. The latter isn't happening here, even though it's taking longer than any of us want.

Leave open the possibility it'll come out too late, of course.

How many agents sent texts that actually pertain to this coup? Is it some, lots, or lots and lots and lots? Because the more people might have texted information we need, the more opportunities for discovery.

Most of the material *must* have been basically inconsequential, which is one reason why it stinks so bad that the entire deletion of everyone's records happened on 1/5 and 1/6 only.

Somebody did this.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

No, that's me being a historian.

My concern is there seems to be a sizable contingent of USSS that was willing to along with Trump and actively covered things up, to the point Mike Pence KNEW not to go with them.

That to me is a historical crisis of the palace guard, and those people should not be anywhere near the Presidency.

Pence, when given the choice between getting in a car to what should be the relative safety of Secret service agents or stay in the ongoing attempted coup with armed lunatics outside the Capitol, decided to take his chances with the lunatics. That really needs to be investigated.

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

Uhhh, not to sound almarmist or anything but in history "Praetorian Guard/ Palace Guard showing clear signs of disloyalty" is a BIG old red flag for most empires and civilizations, like the "Heads on spikes" level red button. These fucks should be investigated and USSS should be purged.

Not sure why our decorum addled boomers think we as a Civilization are just special and safe from palace coups.

These are stomach churning to read.

edit: Biden made a point to surround himself with his old detail for lack of trust with anyone who was around DT.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 20, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make; this is literally the kidnapping. He had to be there to confirm the results, and the plan for the coup specifically involved removing Pence so they could replace him with Grassley or whoever so they could skip using the electors and go straight to voting using the House method

this is extremely not how trump was planning for thins to go down, it was for pence specifically to reject the slates of electors. having an evac plan is extremely not 'kidnapping' and if it was even remotely in the ballpark of kidnapping pence would not have been able to just go 'hey i'm staying'

i don't really have any point that i'm trying to make beyond understanding the facts of what happened

E: also giuliani just got ordered to appear before grand jury in georgia

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-new-york-donald-trump-georgia-presidential-04b0918bde8c906fb4598220b6ee776a

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 20, 2022

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is extremely not how trump was planning for thins to go down, it was for pence specifically to reject the slates of electors. having an evac plan is extremely not 'kidnapping' and if it was even remotely in the ballpark of kidnapping pence would not have been able to just go 'hey i'm staying'

i don't really have any point that i'm trying to make beyond understanding the facts of what happened

E: also giuliani just got ordered to appear before grand jury in georgia

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-new-york-donald-trump-georgia-presidential-04b0918bde8c906fb4598220b6ee776a

"Grassley replaces Pence" was also a possible plan if Pence wasn't willing to do it himself

In fact, Grassley himself said at one point that Pence wasn't expected to be at the counting of the votes before hurriedly backtracking

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 20, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I stand corrected

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

The Dairy Queen gambit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the floor of the senate is a great place for some u know what

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Most of the material *must* have been basically inconsequential, which is one reason why it stinks so bad that the entire deletion of everyone's records happened on 1/5 and 1/6 only.

Somebody did this.
Agreed. And I bet we also agree that whatever left that is not inconsequential is most likely Trumpian-levels of stupidly incriminating. Eye-meltingly damning. Kim Jong Un saying, "Weird flex, but I like it." Putin face-palming.

I think odds of something just that bad being exposed are extremely high, but increasing over time from "who the hell knows?" today.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xiahou Dun posted:

crossing out old notes, writing "coward" and then underlining it several times

Not my fault, just following counsel advice.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lemming posted:

If it helps, the director announced his retirement today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/07/07/secret-service-director-james-murray-retirement/10007224002/

He's taking over as CEO for Snapchat, the platform where all your messages automatically delete themselves after 24 hours. And just to be clear, the USSS spokesman made sure to mention that this has "no relation at all" to the recent J6 hearings.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 20, 2022

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Some of you just need the word Federal tacked on in front of Wallet Inspector to extend credulity to a level that is absurd and debasing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

If the dudes who were hiring prostitutes during Presidential visits were able to get fired and not have the entire USSS collapse, we can figure out who the malicious actors are and get them removed.

Absolutely they need investigated, but the entire thing hasn't reached the same 'burn it the gently caress down' state.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

"Yeah, we looked everywhere for those super incriminating deleted texts, and wouldn't you know it, we can't find them. Shucks."

--The Secret Service, probably

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

XboxPants posted:

If it helps, the director announced his retirement today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/07/07/secret-service-director-james-murray-retirement/10007224002/

He's taking over as CEO for Snapchat, the platform where all your messages automatically delete themselves after 24 hours. And just to be clear, the USSS spokesman made sure to mention that this has "no relation at all" to the recent J6 hearings.

Hahaha pretty good joke, almost had me th-:psyboom:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mobby_6kl posted:

If an organization is really corrupt then yeah it might be worthwhile just firing everyone and starting over. That said I'd wait for an investigation of what exactly happened there. We don't really have anything 100% clear other than that some messages haven't been found (yet).

The pants, but on the second thought, let me clarify that this does not constitute a legal promise to perform the act and was merely a figure of speech.

*sighs and closes the toxxes drawer*

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Imagine if you worked for a company and the responsibility for backing up corporate emails was the responsibility of the workers. The same idiots that yell and scream to the IT department to fix their drat PC that is most assuredly broken when it turns they just didn't plug in the power cable even when asked multiple times if it's plugged in. Those people. Imagine them being responsible for backing up their emails.

And that's how the USSS works apparently. God loving damnit this country I swear.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'm not convinced the great text saga is proof that the entirety of the Secret Service has sworn eternal fealty to Donald Trump, first of his name. It strikes me more as desperate rear end covering, the actions of an organization that knows it hosed up real good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

I'm not convinced the great text saga is proof that the entirety of the Secret Service has sworn eternal fealty to Donald Trump, first of his name. It strikes me more as desperate rear end covering, the actions of an organization that knows it hosed up real good.

Could you point the posts you're responding to, here? I'm not sure anyone has argued the bolded bit

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1549853583708983297

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

Could you point the posts you're responding to, here? I'm not sure anyone has argued the bolded bit

Does this count?

Jaxyon posted:

Guys, I dunno if having this secret police named the SS and staffed with goons loyal to a white supremacist fascist was a good idea

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Charliegrs posted:

Imagine if you worked for a company and the responsibility for backing up corporate emails was the responsibility of the workers. The same idiots that yell and scream to the IT department to fix their drat PC that is most assuredly broken when it turns they just didn't plug in the power cable even when asked multiple times if it's plugged in. Those people. Imagine them being responsible for backing up their emails.

And that's how the USSS works apparently. God loving damnit this country I swear.

Not just the USSS. Not to defend them or anything but banks/traders have requirements to keep all of their digital communications with customers and even very recently some large banks have been fined hundreds of millions of dollars for being unable to produce sms and WhatsApp messages for court review. Turns out there's not currently a ton of great solutions for archiving that stuff I guess.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bank-of-america-allocates-200m-for-fines-over-off-channel-communication-qltxzgzq0

https://thestack.technology/morgan-stanley-fined-for-whatsapp-use/?amp=1

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/17/jpmorgan-agrees-to-125-million-fine-for-letting-employees-use-whatsapp-to-evade-regulators.html

A lot of this is employees using personal devices to get around that stuff being logged I guess but that's not to say it's easy to get that data even if using company hardware. Eg if using a company phone how do you ensure the employee isn't just force stopping the logging utility that runs in the background, then sending sms, deleting the message then restarting whatever logging tool you are using.

Anyway a bit of a derail I guess but I thought it was an interesting problem domain

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm frankly amazed that any of these people involved are in any way involved with the USSS at this point, pending investigation.

That's not a political thing. That's a self preservation thing for Biden and his family.

At the least they should be separated and given stamp licking detail in wisconsin or something,

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Madkal posted:

Does this count?

It doesn't appear to be claiming that every single person to the last is personally swearing fealty, just that a lot of them are, which definitely seems to be the case, based on how blatantly they're obstructing the process and how important they were to pulling off the coup. It seems like a strawman to argue that anyone who thinks the situation is bad enough that it needs to be cleaned out also thinks that every single person is a storm trooper

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Does this count?
No, it doesn't; and you know it doesn't. That is some bad faith strawman bullshit and you should do better.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Lemming posted:

It doesn't appear to be claiming that every single person to the last is personally swearing fealty, just that a lot of them are, which definitely seems to be the case, based on how blatantly they're obstructing the process and how important they were to pulling off the coup. It seems like a strawman to argue that anyone who thinks the situation is bad enough that it needs to be cleaned out also thinks that every single person is a storm trooper

The situation is bad, but is it bad because the Secret Service has been compromised by fascists, or because it's taken organizational protectionism too far? Those are two scenarios with different remedies.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

The situation is bad, but is it bad because the Secret Service has been compromised by fascists, or because it's taken organizational protectionism too far? Those are two scenarios with different remedies.

Its both

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Tony Ornato is a pure--strain fascist for sure. Let's go with "porque no los dos?"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I think the risk of the first is high enough and reasonably likely enough that it's not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt, even if it's only a situation that has come to pass because of solely genuine organizational protectionism. They're doing the exact same things they would be doing if it was compromised by fascists, and the consequences of what that could mean are high enough that it's not worth the risk

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1549919816684896256?s=20&t=mJRtl9Z4voPYfjyW9Rx7vA

quote:

"They're Bolsheviks," Ziegler said in the stream, referring to the far-left communists who led the Soviet Union, "so, they probably do hate the American founders and most White people in general. This is a Bolshevistic anti-White campaign. If you can't see that, your eyes are freaking closed. And so, they see me as a young Christian who they can try to basically scare, right?"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Part of the audio

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1549889767927697408

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
The idea that the secret service might be compromised with sympathizers runs counter to everything I've ever heard about their relationship with Trump, which was mostly that he resented their presence, tried keeping them out of the loop with everything, and preferred his own private security.

I also have to believe that anyone who is obligated to follow Trump around 24/7 would be the people least likely to be motivated to keep him in that position, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

So, he walked out of that interview loving scared, got it.