Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
N:A's biggest problem was the difficulty. Normal was too easy by far, and Hard was too hard in a way that wasn't interesting and more or less just made you dodge spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

KingSlime posted:

Also, I thought the action was kind of just bad in nier automata. I can't explain it since it was competent on a technical level and in theory mixing melee w shooting should be rad. It was just boring and I never once cared for blasting endless robots during my entire playthrough. I stuck it through for the story which ended up being pretty mediocre and the soundtrack which was incredible

Bayonetta 1 + 2 was a blast all the way through ( motorcycle section aside)

agreed, i got one ending and couldn't stomach reaching another

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

theyre the bad guys

Calling a slaver a bad guy is kind of redundant, isn't it?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Calling a slaver a bad guy is kind of redundant, isn't it?

Bioshock requests folks look at both sides. Maybe the slaves are jerks about being slaves or something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Louisgod posted:

Aha that's what it was, thanks. I'm having a hell of a time finding 2 anywhere and sites seem to be sold out.
Once they announced a release date for 3 and a reprint of 1 of course 2 was going to sell out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think the only thing that kept me from thinking ItB was perfect was the fact that you had to use joysticks to actually move the cursor. It's not a big deal but I just prefer d-pads and am always happy when given that option.

ItB is wonderful though.

ItB and FTL are perfect games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just finished mopping up Bioshock 1 and 2, and man they are still incredible games today! Both of them do kind of fall off at the end since you're kind of overpowered and you're no longer motivated to get ADAM or explore, and this was in hard mode with no Vita chambers on. I could imagine normal mode, standard options the difficulty just becomes meaningless barely halfway through. Also, the last bosses in both games feel lazy and uninspired but really minor flaws in otherwise incredible experiences

Still, for the most part both games are excellent, with Bioshock 1 having better world building/ plot and BioShock 2 rocking superior polished
gameplay.

I'm really excited though, because as a huge bioshock plan I've never actually played Minerva's Den. Just the idea of having completely new unplayed bioshock 2 content is the coolest drat thing in the world especially because I've heard it's the best part of BioShock 2

From a video game point of view I would say I prefer 2 significantly more

E: My favorite thing about replaying these games was blasting my enemies with clouds of angry bees, what a loving bad rear end plasmid. It is always a mainstay in my loadout even if there are other more optimal plasmids

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 20, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

what about Infinite, bro

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I don't think I would have liked Nier: Automata half as much as I did if 2B's movement wasn't so drat SATISFYING. Like it was just enjoyable to dash and jump around the world in a way I can't put my finger on, other than "pleasing".

I think it was the similar "ramping up to different running speeds", like Okami had. Okami was made by Clover Studios, and some of those folks moved on to make Platinum Games!

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 20, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I liked nier gestalt.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nyoro posted:

what about Infinite, bro

I haven't replayed it in maybe five years, heard it doesn't run so great on switch so I might replay it on my PS5! I'll do a victory lap with it, but probably won't do the 1999 mode stuff even though I love that kind of stuff in the first two.

Bioshock infinite has an excellent excellent atmosphere which it ends up not doing much with or delivering on. Gameplay wise it's fun but even more linear than the first two and there is little reason to explore. Then there's the end game lore stuff where you get into multiverse where it just feels sloppy! For these reasons, it's not as exciting for me to replay it, though it certainly still a fun shooter with a very cool/ unique atmosphere! I would rank in a notch below the first two in gameplay, but probably equal to the first in terms of the wow factor during your first playthrough

I also haven't played infinite DLC campaign but I heard it was horrible and I heard it's going to make me hate the first two games somehow, which is an interesting proposition.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I haven't replayed it in maybe five years, heard it doesn't run so great on switch

It's a pretty stable 30 fps for the most part. frame pacing is good outside of heavy firefights thanks to dynamic res:

https://youtu.be/0VwyyO4gQiQ

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh yeah that looks decent, I may just play it on switch to round out the collection then and for the novelty. The draw distance stuff doesn't seem so hot but yeah, that looks like it's running okay

Oh right! I remember now what made me not like the game play so much and downgrade to normal mode back in the day. It was the stupid siren boss fight, which they repeat multiple times. Fighting the big baddies has never felt great in Bioshock games but man that boss is just atrociously designed

If I recall correctly, there's also a really lazy end game sequence without an actual boss. Man they just don't know how to close out a game do they? At least they seem to be aware that they are not good at the bosses thing

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 20, 2022

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
bioshock infinite is incredibly bad for a multitude of reasons and you should not play it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Eh It's painless enough on normal mode and running around Columbia is always a visual treat at least. Though I do recall the locales getting less and less interesting toward the end

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Augus posted:

Hanging on the edge of tomorrow

find the works of yesterdayyy

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Your Computer posted:

bioshock infinite is incredibly bad for a multitude of reasons and you should not play it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Your Computer posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bushisms.txt posted:

The mechanics are so easy for Bayonetta they literally let you do it at the beginning without saying a word.

they don’t let you use wicked weaves (one of the core mechanics of the game) in the first chapter of bayonetta

also there’s poo poo like dodge offsetting which the game never even explicitly tells you about that is incredibly important for doing well

astral chain gives you a ton of room to just mash buttons and get away with it. you have a huge supply of healing items and no penalty for using them. the game freezes to tell you when to press the combo finisher button. your astral chain is always on semi auto pilot. you get S ranks by just pressing all the buttons. taking damage has no score penalty. you have multiple lives which can be refilled at no penalty. It is way easier and less punishing than Bayonetta

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 20, 2022

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Your Computer posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinite is bad, the dlc is worse

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Augus posted:

they don’t let you use wicked weaves (one of the core mechanics of the game) in the first chapter of bayonetta

also there’s poo poo like dodge offsetting which the game never even explicitly tells you about that is incredibly important for doing well

astral chain gives you a ton of room to just mash buttons and get away with it. you have a huge supply of healing items and no penalty for using them. the game freezes to tell you when to press the combo finisher button. your astral chain is always on semi auto pilot. you get S ranks by just pressing all the buttons. taking damage has no score penalty. you have multiple lives which can be refilled at no penalty. It is way easier and less punishing than Bayonetta
The wicked weaves are just combo finishers, Dodge offsetting is something that you gain naturally and is little more than pressing a button before and after you dodge. And you're totally under selling astral chain, The character you control has three different weapons that you can switch through during combat at any time, you have five different robots that you can switch to at any time, The robots have alternate modes themselves that you can use and combo into/out of at any time, you can also cut the invisible strands connecting enemies limbs, breaking their attacks among other things, also has Dodge offset and more. And saying the robots are on auto pilot is on you, because at any time, you can actively tell them to do other attacks and other moves and it's majorly to your benefit to do this.

Sounds like y'all just stand still and hit the attack buttons, which sounds really loving boring.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 20, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cool, Dark Alliance 2 came out on Nintendo Switch today! For way too much money and no online multiplayer...

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

more like badoshock badfinite

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
bioschock infinite rules and is good

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

more like bioschlock. is that anything

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was an Infinite fan for some reason when it came out. I played it again a few years back and it is absolute dogshit.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I like the barbershop Beach Boys :shobon:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Alright I did it. After waiting forever for the Outer Wilds to come out on Switch I just went and bought it on Steam (Deck) instead. Annapurna, your move.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer Milds I would call it (it sucks)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

When I first played bioshock infinite I had a great time, and then the game started

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those symbols…

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hatty posted:

massages are gross

:raise:

Whatever hang up you might have about other people touching you, I recommend getting over it because there is nothing more relaxing that a good back or foot massage. Just let yourself melt in the chair.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mister Facetious posted:

Cool, Dark Alliance 2 came out on Nintendo Switch today! For way too much money and no online multiplayer...

Was Dark Alliance 1 ever fixed? That bug where items on the ground were invisible or something?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

quote:

Sounds like y'all just stand still and hit the attack buttons, which sounds really loving boring.

those are called musou fans

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bushisms.txt posted:

The wicked weaves are just combo finishers, Dodge offsetting is something that you gain naturally and is little more than pressing a button before and after you dodge. And you're totally under selling astral chain, The character you control has three different weapons that you can switch through during combat at any time, you have five different robots that you can switch to at any time, The robots have alternate modes themselves that you can use and combo into/out of at any time, you can also cut the invisible strands connecting enemies limbs, breaking their attacks among other things, also has Dodge offset and more. And saying the robots are on auto pilot is on you, because at any time, you can actively tell them to do other attacks and other moves and it's majorly to your benefit to do this.

Yes there is plenty of depth on Astral Chain, just like there is a ton of depth in Bayonetta. But it can also be a “just vibe an push buttons” game if you want it to be, just like Bayonetta.

All I’m saying is that Normal mode in Bayonetta is probably more demanding than Normal in Astral Chain. Especially if you try to do some of the Alfheims.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Was Dark Alliance 1 ever fixed? That bug where items on the ground were invisible or something?

I didn't buy it because having played the OG I considered the campaign to be too short even back then

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

more like bioschlock. is that anything

I am afraid to report that I thought of that one as well. It cannot be witty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I am afraid to report that I thought of that one as well. It cannot be witty.

Buy a sock