Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Three of my coworkers who sit near one another are all out with COVID. I thought they were on vacation. It's the first time we've had that many people out with it at the same time. For one of them its their second round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

There are 50-60 people in my gym at once on a typical day and I’m almost always the only one wearing a mask. I’m beginning to feel like I’m the weird, paranoid guy and that most reasonable people have moved on from the pandemic mindset.

I’m pretty sure an N95 still makes a lot of sense here in California, but it does makes you doubt yourself a bit when you’re literally the only one wearing it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It especially makes sense now when cases are going through the roof, unless you want to volunteer for the poorly monitored experiment to see what happens when we all get infected multiple times per year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think there's different levels of paranoia/concern. I still wear a mask 95% of the time, I think it's reasonable to do so because it's a pretty minor imposition. I don't hide in my apartment and disinfect my groceries -- that's where I think being so concerned crosses the line into unreasonable paranoia.

I think it's like people who wore seatbelts or avoided using the cellphone while driving before it was legally obligated -- it's a good move for your safety, and it's not really a horrible disruption. Or, to use a current example: refusing to drive after consuming any amount of alcohol, even if you could legally drive up to 0.05BAC. Some people think it's being "too" concerned, but it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Me and three people at my work just got COVID simultaneously. I order all my food and don't go outside, it must have come in through my wife (who always wears a mask). So don't gently caress with this latest variant. I got the first vaccine but not the second year's top-up and for me, it was three days of misery, followed by potentially weeks of feeling poo poo. I still feel like poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Welp, my younger just tested positive.

I haven't tested myself yet but I'm kind of assuming I got it, too. I'll test tomorrow and find out for sure.

Yay.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Kind of feels like we're creeping back towards the pre-vaccine Nurgle worshipping time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tacier posted:

There are 50-60 people in my gym at once on a typical day and I’m almost always the only one wearing a mask. I’m beginning to feel like I’m the weird, paranoid guy and that most reasonable people have moved on from the pandemic mindset.

I’m pretty sure an N95 still makes a lot of sense here in California, but it does makes you doubt yourself a bit when you’re literally the only one wearing it.

I still don't know how people do actual sports with a N95 mask. I already get winded if I have to run across the train station to make a quick transit, when wearing one.
I haven't been to the gym the past two weeks, but I'd rather show up there at ungodly hours, to avoid people than wearing a mask.

Is it just the way I breathe? If I extort my self I have a strong inhalation and it feels like I am almost swallowing that thing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

I still don't know how people do actual sports with a N95 mask. I already get winded if I have to run across the train station to make a quick transit, when wearing one.
I haven't been to the gym the past two weeks, but I'd rather show up there at ungodly hours, to avoid people than wearing a mask.

Is it just the way I breathe? If I extort my self I have a strong inhalation and it feels like I am almost swallowing that thing.

It just takes acclimation and practice. It sounds like you might also want a bigger mask or a different design that doesn't press against your face, but mostly yeah, you have to get used to it, same way people acclimate to say, Denver. My oldest plays basketball for hours in hers.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

While I was in Shanghai, I used to run wearing 3M Aura 9320+ masks. Mostly because of the pollution, but once covid started I just kept wearing them. They have a very good fit and a large surface area which makes breathing easier. Some versions have vents that make breathing out considerably easier, but that kinda defeats their purpose of protecting anyone else in case you're ever infected yourself. It was ideal for running in heavy pollution though; the masks only had a slight impact on my speed or heart rate.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fleve posted:

While I was in Shanghai, I used to run wearing 3M Aura 9320+ masks. Mostly because of the pollution, but once covid started I just kept wearing them. They have a very good fit and a large surface area which makes breathing easier. Some versions have vents that make breathing out considerably easier, but that kinda defeats their purpose of protecting anyone else in case you're ever infected yourself. It was ideal for running in heavy pollution though; the masks only had a slight impact on my speed or heart rate.

I wear a vented mask to the gym now, it's pretty great. Everyone else there doesn't wear a mask at all, so clearly their health isn't actually a priority to them, and even a vented mask is better than none at all when it comes to protecting other people.

That plus the not inconsiderable fact that since I always wear a mask in public, that means I'm the one person in the whole gym least likely to infect them anyway

Vent away, bream, vent away

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I don’t have much issue with normal activity in a mask, but I find it near impossible to catch my breath in a mask if I’ve winded myself. I believe that it’s mostly in my head, but it’s a strong feeling.

I haven’t felt like I’m swallowing the thing since I’ve switched over to wearing a V-Flex instead of the KN-94s I bought early on.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, at this point I would give zero shits about wearing a vented mask unless I was somewhere where mask usage was very high (basically a hospital at this point where I am).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

I don’t have much issue with normal activity in a mask, but I find it near impossible to catch my breath in a mask if I’ve winded myself. I believe that it’s mostly in my head, but it’s a strong feeling.

I haven’t felt like I’m swallowing the thing since I’ve switched over to wearing a V-Flex instead of the KN-94s I bought early on.

Have you tried the Kimtech pouch respirators? It's time for me to buy more and I'm curious if I should switch.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tacier posted:

In Ontario, Canada here. I'd estimate from working in an office that deals with the public and from shopping trips to the mall, groceries, etc that 95+ percent of people have ditched the masks either partially or fully. Seeing people wearing masks outside a medical setting is increasingly the outlier now.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

Have you tried the Kimtech pouch respirators? It's time for me to buy more and I'm curious if I should switch.

I haven’t tried that brand myself.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The CDC reports that the second booster is at least somewhat effective against older Omicron subvariants:

quote:

Among 214,487 ED/UC encounters with a COVID-19–like illness diagnosis that met inclusion criteria, 124,033 (57.8%) occurred during the BA.1 period, during which 40,801 (32.9%) patients had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result; 90,454 (42.2%) occurred during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period, during which 10,177 (11.3%) had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result. During the BA.1 period, 51,359 (41.4%) ED/UC patients were unvaccinated, 40,026 (32.3%) had received 2 mRNA vaccine doses, and 32,648 (26.3%) had received 3 doses (Table 1). During the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period, 27,907 (30.9%) ED/UC patients were unvaccinated; 22,657 (25.0%) had received 2 mRNA vaccine doses, 35,796 (39.6%) had received 3 doses; and 4,094 (4.5%) had received 4 doses. Receipt of 3 versus 2 doses was associated with a higher VE against an ED/UC encounter during both periods, and VE was higher during the BA.1 period than the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period (Table 2). During the BA.1 period, VE declined to 73% ≥120 days (median = 132 days) after the third vaccine dose; during the BA.2/BA.12.1 period, VE declined to 26% at ≥120 days (median = 166 days) after the third dose.

Among 58,782 hospitalizations with a COVID-19–like illness diagnosis that met inclusion criteria, 35,399 (60.2%) occurred during the BA.1 period, during which 10,534 (29.8%) patients had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result; 23,383 (17.9%) occurred during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period, during which 1,564 (6.7%) patients had a positive test result (Table 3). During the BA.1 period, 14,742 (41.6%) patients hospitalized with COVID-19–like illness were unvaccinated, 10,086 (28.5%) had received 2 mRNA vaccine doses, and 10,571 (29.9%) had received 3 doses. During the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period, 6,682 (28.6%) patients hospitalized with COVID-19–like illness were unvaccinated, and 5,461 (23.4%), 10,036 (42.9%), and 1,204 (5.1%) had received 2, 3, and 4 mRNA vaccine doses, respectively. VE against COVID-19–associated hospitalization was 61% ≥150 days after dose 2 during the BA.1 period (median = 289 days) compared with 24% during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period (median = 371 days) (Table 2). VE associated with a third mRNA vaccine dose was higher than that associated with a second vaccine dose but declined during both periods at ≥120 days to 85% during the BA.1 period (median = 132 days) and 52% during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period (median = 168 days).

Among adults aged ≥50 years eligible to receive a fourth mRNA vaccine dose, VE for COVID-19–associated ED/UC encounters during the BA.2/BA.2.12.1 period was 32% at ≥120 days after the third dose (median interval = 170 days) but increased to 66% ≥7 days after the fourth dose (median interval = 28 days). VE against COVID-19–associated hospitalization was 55% ≥120 days after the third dose but increased to 80% ≥7 days after the fourth dose.

So why is the CDC waiting to approve 2nd boosters for 18+ now that many are 7+ months removed from their first booster? Ontario and Alberta have already approved second boosters and stated that getting one now won't impact eligibility for an omicron-specific booster in the fall, presuming they actually become widely available by October or whenever.

nomad2020 posted:

I've skated in an N95 mask (3M Aura) and it was tolerable at max exertion for a minute or so. The humidity was more annoying than anything else. Having said that, I wouldn't want to keep that up for 20-30 minutes.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

eXXon posted:

I've skated in an N95 mask (3M Aura) and it was tolerable at max exertion for a minute or so. The humidity was more annoying than anything else. Having said that, I wouldn't want to keep that up for 20-30 minutes.

I started wearing an N95 at the gym about a month after my initial bout in April. It's doable, but the only times I really hate wearing it is if I just finish my final or second-last set of squats or deadlifts, because it takes a minute or two for me to start breathing right. I may start taking a quick step outside after those sets. Can't imagine doing that if I was attempting cardio.

Then again, I have asthma and have been suffering from GERD for the last two years so wearing an N95 at work in front of a computer is also occasionally challenging. My nose stuffs up and the additional breathing issues make me feel claustrophobic when it happens.

Hopefully the HEPA filter I bought for my small office (with the door only half-closed because my boss doesn't like closed doors) can help mitigate the times I need to readjust my mask or take it off entirely.

Really wish I hadn't rebooked my second booster after I originally booked it for last Thurday. Felt like absolute poo poo and cancelled the appointment, and now I have to wait until tomorrow.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I hadn't realized that second boosters were still not really an official thing, I got mine a few weeks ago because the pharmacy that gave me my first one kept nagging me to come in for it after my six months elapsed. Well, I haven't caught covid yet still, I don't mind my odds being as low as I can get em.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Someone posted an official cdc statement about self-attestation being sufficient, but I can't find the link. Anyone have it handy? Didn't find it in page 1

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
My problem with wearing n95s while doing any kind of physical activity is the heat and damp of my own breath. Swamp chin is no joke.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

My problem with wearing n95s while doing any kind of physical activity is the heat and damp of my own breath. Swamp chin is no joke.

Yeah this is definitely the grossest part, especially in summer. In winter however its so nice to not be freezing my face off outside I'll wear one even when I don't have to.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Oracle posted:

Yeah this is definitely the grossest part, especially in summer. In winter however its so nice to not be freezing my face off outside I'll wear one even when I don't have to.

I've actually had worse problems in winter. If you are doing physical labour and breathing hard in cold air the mask can get wet enough that it get's hard to breath. Wearing an N-95 while unloading a truck in -30 Celsius I found that out the hard way. You find out fast if your mask has a tight fit to your face then.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Fighting Trousers posted:

Vented masks. Seriously. Makes all the difference in the world

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
2nd booster dose booked, thank you Alberta for doing literally the bare loving minimum slightly later than you ought to have, but getting it done all the same.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Ah well. It was a good run. Kid brought it home, and now I got it. I'm boosted and so far it's just a head cold for me.

My wife had omicron back in like February and despite having more contact is negative so far.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oracle posted:

It just takes acclimation and practice. It sounds like you might also want a bigger mask or a different design that doesn't press against your face, but mostly yeah, you have to get used to it, same way people acclimate to say, Denver. My oldest plays basketball for hours in hers.

I assume like any other kind of exercise it gets easier the more you do it. Resistance training for your lungs. Get big swole lung muscles.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

My wife and I got back into road cycling this year. So far we have about 700 miles on the bike, with our longest ride being 75 miles. All of those miles have been with Auras on. It's a bit harder to breathe, but I can do max effort sprints, climbing, and long high effort pulls while masked. It does get really swampy in there, and snacks/water can be annoying with waiting to find a section clear of other cyclists. But no COVID, wildfire smoke, or air pollution is nice.

Between the sweat, dirt, and wear from being pulled down for drinks/snack, masks get destroyed in one ride. So we're using up a pile of free 9205s from the time pharmacies were giving away masks. Vented masks would be a LOT nicer, but they're expensive for a single use item.

I would love a good elastomeric respirator that let me displace it enough to eat while keeping my helmet and glasses on.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So is there an updated booster coming out or Fall or what? Tryna determine when to get my next.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

jetz0r posted:

My wife and I got back into road cycling this year. So far we have about 700 miles on the bike, with our longest ride being 75 miles. All of those miles have been with Auras on. It's a bit harder to breathe, but I can do max effort sprints, climbing, and long high effort pulls while masked. It does get really swampy in there, and snacks/water can be annoying with waiting to find a section clear of other cyclists. But no COVID, wildfire smoke, or air pollution is nice.

Between the sweat, dirt, and wear from being pulled down for drinks/snack, masks get destroyed in one ride. So we're using up a pile of free 9205s from the time pharmacies were giving away masks. Vented masks would be a LOT nicer, but they're expensive for a single use item.

I would love a good elastomeric respirator that let me displace it enough to eat while keeping my helmet and glasses on.

I don't wear it much anymore, but I own one of these guys: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000154017/ It has a little lever that pops the mask off your face to your chin without undoing any of the straps. Yank the lever back down and it zoops back up onto your face. I more typically wear an Envo mask which is just as easy to pull off and put back on and is a lot smaller and lighter (as long as you don't care about n95 vs p100 filters), but you'd have to take off a bike helmet to do that.

E: also, ngl, the 3M elastomerics are way easier to breathe in than Auras, and with the valve setup they don't build up moisture nearly as badly either (even compared to the vented Auras). I would 100% do an elastomeric for heavy workouts if I didn't have home exercise equipment.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 21, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

The Oldest Man posted:

E: also, ngl, the 3M elastomerics are way easier to breathe in than Auras, and with the valve setup they don't build up moisture nearly as badly either (even compared to the vented Auras). I would 100% do an elastomeric for heavy workouts if I didn't have home exercise equipment.

agreed. the aura can be a bit scratchy and parts of my face touch the papery part at front. doesn’t happen with 7502.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

So is there an updated booster coming out or Fall or what? Tryna determine when to get my next.

Pfizer's saying October for Omicron-specific boosters apparently.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-recommends-omicron-subvariants-ba4-ba5-fall-covid-boosters-rcna36125

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Oldest Man posted:

I don't wear it much anymore, but I own one of these guys: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000154017/ It has a little lever that pops the mask off your face to your chin without undoing any of the straps. Yank the lever back down and it zoops back up onto your face.

As I was typing that, I realized I was describing the quick latch mask. Gonna watch a few videos and probably give it a shot. At worst it's $40 to add another respirator and filters to my collection.

The latch system would work with a bike helmet and some big sunglasses, right?

The Oldest Man posted:

also, ngl, the 3M elastomerics are way easier to breathe in than Auras, and with the valve setup they don't build up moisture nearly as badly either
I think a lot of people don't realize how easy it is to breathe through p100 filters on a respirator. Between the filter media being accordioned, and valves keeping the fillers dry, they range from comparable to the best n95 on my Honeywell mask to almost indistinguishable from no mask. The secure click pink pouch filters are eerily easy to breathe through. It's slightly alarming for my lungs to feel like I'm unmasked while I have a big chuck of plastic strapped to my face.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if you want ultimate mask comfortable try a silicone based elastomeric like those made by North Honeywell, it makes a huge difference.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mother never met her sisters and brothers for 3 years, so decided to go visit them last Thursday.
BAM got it from them, after me warning her not to go.
Seems mild so far, hopefully won't get any worse.
Means Im the winner in my whole extended family, only one who hasnt got it so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maera Sior posted:

You can get a bag of fifty for under twenty bucks shipped.

Different branding, but it’s the same NIOSH approval as the Kimtech product (84A-9042), so it’s the same thing.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

jetz0r posted:

Get the 650X-QL. The "quick latch." You'll loving love it. I have a 6000 with the MasterVlad mod, a Secure Clique, and a QL.

QL I'd my go-to. So easy (and fast) to don/doff without stretching the elastic or tearing the cradle plastic. I work in a kitchen, and have to be tasting things all day. The QL has kept me safe so far.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You can get a bag of fifty for under twenty bucks shipped.

Different branding, but it’s the same NIOSH approval as the Kimtech product (84A-9042), so it’s the same thing.

I ordered 100 of the Kimtech yesterday from that site after seeing the price. I like them a lot but they aren't what I'd call professional looking, and it would be nice to have something else that fits properly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Maera Sior posted:

I ordered 100 of the Kimtech yesterday from that site after seeing the price. I like them a lot but they aren't what I'd call professional looking, and it would be nice to have something else that fits properly.

Not good enough for you huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Work from home if you can, covid sucks