Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Folt The Bolt posted:

For anyone wondering how Luna/Flare works, each 10 point increment in Luck deducts 1 point of Defense/Resistance from the enemy.

So not the gamebreaker it was in the original Fire Emblem Warriors, but good enough to slot in as an ability to increase your damage, especially if you have other damage boosters.

Sure, okay, but how does Def work? What's the damage formula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

In hindsight, Arval had a paralogue with a very missable NG+ requirement, are there ones for Rhea and Sothis buried somewhere?

As far as I can tell, nope; the extras section has a tab for all cutscenes, with the Arval paralogue conspicuously occupying the bottom slots on all routes. I've got all the paralogue spots filled and have not seen one for Rhea or Sothis.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Also, I had done the Linhardt and Caspar paralogue and holy poo poo Count Bergliz is a loving monster. Dude literally straight up killed Linhardt and made me restart the map. Like I know you don’t like Count Hevring but no need to kill his kid over it :v:.

I had this exact same thing happen at the end of the map and it was juuuust funny enough that I couldn't even be fully mad about having to restart it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’ve only had Holst in my party for like 5 seconds and I loving love him. I also decided to try using his Unique ability in conjunction with the Dancer class action.

Holy gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hopes does a really good job of making Bergliz and Holst - two largely offscreen characters from Houses who were nonetheless hyped up to be up there as some of the most peerless warriors of their age - absolutely unstoppable monsters. Like they even give you Holst at around the same level as the rest of your party but he's still ridiculously OP because his ability is "lol gently caress you I get a mini-awakening every ten seconds as long as I keep hitting things".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sydin posted:

Hopes does a really good job of making Bergliz and Holst - two largely offscreen characters from Houses who were nonetheless hyped up to be up there as some of the most peerless warriors of their age - absolutely unstoppable monsters. Like they even give you Holst at around the same level as the rest of your party but he's still ridiculously OP because his ability is "lol gently caress you I get a mini-awakening every ten seconds as long as I keep hitting things".

They also cheat and start him as an advanced class when the rest of your party is still in intermediates, so he feels like a loving hellmonster when you first get your hands on him and sets up a really good first impression of "drat this guy is a fuckin beast" without having to give him a unique class or nutso stats.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Also I love his C support with Shez.

“Hey Holst, please spar with me.”

“You won’t be able to learn anything from sparring me because I have to hold back or else you’d die.”

The Gonerils are such a blessed family.

EDIT: Sorry, but the fact his preferred fighting style is solo charges on horseback is amazing. The fact he has to restrain himself because it makes his subordinates nervous rather than him being in any danger is the cherry on top. I’m now mad we didn’t get Holst in Three Houses. He better come to FEH just for the art alone. Sung Woo Cho’s voice is great too.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Gonerils/Balthus paralogue is the best FE content I've ever played.

If anything Holst in Hopes makes me terrified of what Fodlan-style food poisoning must be like if it kept him from showing up in Houses.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
AG - Man Dimitri is so strong! He's the strongest there is! He casually destroys walls and stuff with his strength.

GW - Hilda casually parrying Areadbhar like it's nothing.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I'm fairly convinced Hilda is as strong as Dimitri, she just pretends not to be so she won't chip a nail

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hopes confirms that HIlda is a freakish prodigy and she just doesn't try because of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zwingley posted:

I'm fairly convinced Hilda is as strong as Dimitri, she just pretends not to be so she won't chip a nail

That's been what everyone sensible thinks about her since Houses was released.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Smart, honestly. Keep expectations low and then surpass them occasionally, that’s the way to do it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean Holst is explicitly one of the three strongest dudes on the continent, and unlike the other two, he doesn't even have any alien super genes. Hilda is his sister and she has a crest, she could probably whup all three of them if she absolutely had to.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

Hopes confirms that HIlda is a freakish prodigy and she just doesn't try because of it.

She has all of Holst's prodigious talent plus a crest, if she actually gave a poo poo she could probably mop the floor with the bulk of the cast.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean Holst is explicitly one of the three strongest dudes on the continent, and unlike the other two, he doesn't even have any alien super genes. Hilda is his sister and she has a crest, she could probably whup all three of them if she absolutely had to.

This makes me very annoyed that Raphael and Holst don't have supports. I want to see who wins a lifting competition drat it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Same except eating

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Raphael would win an eating contest. Holst would eat more, but he'd sneak in his favorite spice, obviously poisonous mushroom powder, and subsequently get disqualified for failing to hold his food down.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Gonerils/Balthus paralogue is the best FE content I've ever played.

If anything Holst in Hopes makes me terrified of what Fodlan-style food poisoning must be like if it kept him from showing up in Houses.

Considering his interests includes eating mushrooms, I wouldn’t be surprised if he just picked up any he came across off the ground or knowingly eat highly poisonous mushrooms. His body’s immune system must be ridiculously strong with how many poisonous mushrooms he presumably eats. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if he considers it a way to train his body with how he considers teetering on the edge of life and death to be the best way to get strong. Dude is just built different.

EDIT: On the topic of Hilda, I do enjoy the “is super freakishly strong but just wants to be normal/not give a gently caress so is super lazy/lets other people do things for her”. The world is not ready for a Hilda with Holst’s enthusiasm.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Holst pretty openly admits that the reason he works so hard to be the best and most heroic and strongest is specifically so that Hilda doesn't get pushed to inherit if she doesn't want to.

He tells her he's pretty sure she is gonna be stronger than him by the time she's as old as him.

He talks about how Hilda is why he works so hard.

In his Balthus supports you learn that in his youth he was a lot less into being the good heir, and then that suddenly changed

It seems fairly obvious that once he realized Hilda had no interest in being the heir to house Goneril, he just said 'okay, I now have to be better than my sister and her crest and her talent, because I don't want her to be unhappy by this being forced on her'.

We know that while the Alliance isn't as focused on crests as the Kingdom, but it's still called out that crest bearers tend to inherit vs kids without. It's part of why Margrave Edmund wants Marianne to be better, she is his heir with a crest.

So holst took the path of being the peak human hero who never takes a wrong step as his way of preventing it.

I don't personally like Holst as much as most people because I find "I am the greatest at everything' characters annoying, but his relationship with Hilda and her being his reason he tries so hard is kind of cute.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So you're saying that other than the whole Hilda angle, Holst is basically tall pink grown-up Caspar?

Sorry that just makes me like him more.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Holst is like if Caspar was ever successful at anything, instead of being a yapping purse dog with delusions of grandeur.

Though Caspar feels the need to be the strongest explicitly because he isn't inheriting. His older more talented brother is. And he is fine with that.

Holst feels the need to be the best to ensure he is inheriting. Luckily he actually has the talent to be the best, unlike Caspar who is kind of an idiot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/rrez_art/status/1547312606880272386?s=21&t=Cly7VqCmyLRlTYb3iDmWYg

This feels relevant

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KittyEmpress posted:

I don't personally like Holst as much as most people because I find "I am the greatest at everything' characters annoying, but his relationship with Hilda and her being his reason he tries so hard is kind of cute.

I thought it was kind of funny that the Hilda/Holst/Balthus supports were so intertwined already that they seemingly just couldn't come up with a way to do an actual "just Hilda and Balthus" support

e: which also reminds me "Why the hell is there no Yuri and Bernie support" :psyduck:

e2: I need to take Yuri into one of the fights where you can kill Count Varley and see if he says anything

KittyEmpress posted:

unlike Caspar who is kind of an idiot.

Caspar's casting as seemingly inexplicably even more stupid in all of the supports is one of my few complaints about the characterization this time around, he's a bit better about it in the main plot dialogues especially in non-SB routes, presumably because they can't completely idiot-ball him when he's supposed to be killing you but if I have to hear him asking "what was I supposed to be doing again" on the map one more time :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

e: which also reminds me "Why the hell is there no Yuri and Bernie support" :psyduck:

They seem dead set against repeating any Houses support conversations*. Yuri and Bernie's supports couldn't really be anything but a retread of their interactions in Houses, so they just scrapped them. They do, however, still acknowledge one another and have unique remarks for dining or doing chores together, as well as training and fighting. There's a fair number of pairs like these, such as Ferdinand and Lorenz, or Dorothea and Manuela. It's kind of weird because it makes them mechanically worse to pair up than less close associates that can acquire higher support levels, but otherwise it seems reasonable enough.

Bernie does acknowledge Yuri's presence, it just happens in her support with Dorothea. There's a handful of supports that are locked with a "it seems you cannot deepen this bond at this time," and as far as I can tell, those all require you to recruit another character.

*Except Ferdinand and Dorothea, which was obviously some writer's favorite.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Clarste posted:

Sure, okay, but how does Def work? What's the damage formula?

DMG = [((STR * CLSF) + (MT * WPNF)) / DEF] * CRT * MULT* MOT * RNG

Where...
DMG - Total damage done (this is the damage number that's displayed on screen)
STR (or MAG) - Damage stat of the attacking unit
CLSF - Class factor, a multiplier based on the class of the unit (ranges roughly 6-12)
MT - Damage stat of the weapon/tome
WPNF - Weapon factor, a multiplier based on the class of the unit (ranges roughly 2-6)
DEF (or RES) - Defense stat of the enemy unit
CRT - Critical hit multiplier (unmodified crit damage is x1.6)
MULT - Any other damage multipliers from abilities, applied additively (weapon prowess, offensive tactics, impossible feat, etc.)
MOT - Motivation multiplier (+5% per tick up to x1.15 max)
RNG - Random decimal between .92 and 1.00. RNG for tome users is always 1.00

So the raw defense stat is quite important as it goes directly into the divisor and applies before anything that boosts damage.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
A writer with absolutely great taste

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Casper and Petra's support is very similar to the one in three houses but it does make sense to include just because the object of Petra's ire is right there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hargrimm posted:

DMG = [((STR * CLSF) + (MT * WPNF)) / DEF] * CRT * MULT* MOT * RNG

Where...
DMG - Total damage done (this is the damage number that's displayed on screen)
STR (or MAG) - Damage stat of the attacking unit
CLSF - Class factor, a multiplier based on the class of the unit (ranges roughly 6-12)
MT - Damage stat of the weapon/tome
WPNF - Weapon factor, a multiplier based on the class of the unit (ranges roughly 2-6)
DEF (or RES) - Defense stat of the enemy unit
CRT - Critical hit multiplier (unmodified crit damage is x1.6)
MULT - Any other damage multipliers from abilities, applied additively (weapon prowess, offensive tactics, impossible feat, etc.)
MOT - Motivation multiplier (+5% per tick up to x1.15 max)
RNG - Random decimal between .92 and 1.00. RNG for tome users is always 1.00

So the raw defense stat is quite important as it goes directly into the divisor and applies before anything that boosts damage.

So wait you get a 2-6 multiplier to your STR in the damage calc based on your class? Is that based on your class vs the enemies class or something simple like Master > Advanced > Intermediate > Basic in terms of the multiplier you get?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can't find a primary source that lists them, but from what I can piece together, they're consistent across the tiers and are mostly inversely proportional to attack speed. Fortress knights get the biggest multiplier, followed by the other axe classes, while brawling and thief classes get the lowest factors.

except that casters, mages in particular, get by far the lowest multiplier. I don't get the reasoning there, but it does explain why their attack combos are so anemic

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The only caster who's felt half-decent to use has been Hubert, and most of the reason he feels decent is his finger snapping warrior special when he's in Dark Bishop.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You know is there a list of what classes everyone needs to be to get their unique special?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I dunno about unique specials but Axe Annette is fun as hell.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Khizan posted:

The only caster who's felt half-decent to use has been Hubert, and most of the reason he feels decent is his finger snapping warrior special when he's in Dark Bishop.

I like Linhardt a lot, as a warlock. I scoop up the enemies with gather, and then hit them with an essence of wind boosted excalibur. Then I just spam the combo that does the tornados. This worked well for me on maddening and he didn't have the same tendency to get absolutely murdered by archers as my other casters.

Hubert is great but anti-cavalry classes feel kind of pointless once you've got dark spikes. I do love that snap every time though.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

I thought it was kind of funny that the Hilda/Holst/Balthus supports were so intertwined already that they seemingly just couldn't come up with a way to do an actual "just Hilda and Balthus" support

e2: I need to take Yuri into one of the fights where you can kill Count Varley and see if he says anything

Caspar's casting as seemingly inexplicably even more stupid in all of the supports is one of my few complaints about the characterization this time around, he's a bit better about it in the main plot dialogues especially in non-SB routes, presumably because they can't completely idiot-ball him when he's supposed to be killing you but if I have to hear him asking "what was I supposed to be doing again" on the map one more time :argh:

Yuri notices Bernie if they fight in the Azure Gleam map where he's recruited. It's pretty great.

"Huh, maybe this time I'll actually be able to kill you."
"Wait, whaaaaaaaaat?"

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Eimi posted:

You know is there a list of what classes everyone needs to be to get their unique special?

https://www.gamerguides.com/fire-emblem-warriors-three-hopes/guide/gameplay/tips-and-tricks/how-to-learn-innate-abilities

This is the one I use.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you mean the unique Warrior Special animation, like Bernie's flailing arrow barrage, I suspect that would correlate to the classes the character wears their unique outfit in. There's a sheet for that in the main datamine document here.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

If I’m enjoying the gameplay here, should I try Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity even with 0 knowledge of the series? How much is DLC?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

jimmydalad posted:

If I’m enjoying the gameplay here, should I try Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity even with 0 knowledge of the series? How much is DLC?

You'd be better off with the previous entry, honestly. (Hyrule warriors: Definitive edition)

Not that AoC is bad by any means, but it very much acts like you know what is going on. It also suffers a bit of 'most of it is just window dressing with no impact on its own.' However it is a very solid warriors entry in its own right with plenty of flashy moves and baddies to slap around. People say the boss creature fights are a step up from the previous entry as well. I've no doubt you could have a bit of mindless fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Drakenel posted:

You'd be better off with the previous entry, honestly. (Hyrule warriors: Definitive edition)

Not that AoC is bad by any means, but it very much acts like you know what is going on. It also suffers a bit of 'most of it is just window dressing with no impact on its own.' However it is a very solid warriors entry in its own right with plenty of flashy moves and baddies to slap around. People say the boss creature fights are a step up from the previous entry as well. I've no doubt you could have a bit of mindless fun with it.

I remember playing Hyrule Warriors in the past but just sort of bouncing off the story and adventure mode. Maybe I should give it another try.