Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're lucky...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

get out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Grip it and rip it posted:

uhh what? You're saying almost a third of Chinese kids have serious stunted mental capacity? Do you have a link to a study or something?

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2021/01/21/the-biggest-obstacle-to-chinas-rise-is-struggling-rural-children

They have a lot more on the rural divide in the country.

That one talks about the Stanford study referencing 50% of the rural children that make up 2/3 of the country being stunted.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're lucky...

I just reflexively tried to push the non-existent button in my hand.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lightpole posted:

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2021/01/21/the-biggest-obstacle-to-chinas-rise-is-struggling-rural-children

That one talks about the Stanford study referencing 50% of the rural children that make up 2/3 of the country being stunted.

Chinese Zoomers are killing the housing market by not buying centrally planned condos in cities in the middle of nowhere!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Chinese Zoomers are killing the housing market by not buying centrally planned condos in cities in the middle of nowhere!

Don’t tell goons the Chinese aren’t fans of densified urban living either

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure the rural people are stuck where they are. You can't just move wherever you want. Westerners have such a myopic view of the world they don't even consider not having the ability to just pack up and go somewhere else

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Don’t tell goons the Chinese aren’t fans of densified urban living either

You don't have a choice. You live where your hukou says you live. People with rural hukou (which is the vast majority of the population) can move to cities to work temporarily but they can't settle down. No social services, their kids can't go to school, etc. The kid lives in the village with grandma for a lot of reasons but a big one is the kid is only allowed to go to school there. Changing from rural to urban hukou is extraordinarily difficult.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

no they are wasting money eating too much of that avocado bao

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

So, a big chunk of China is similar to North Korea? While a lot of the wealthy ones live in luxury or try to gtfo? drat, that's some class divide.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

So, a big chunk of China is similar to North Korea? While a lot of the wealthy ones live in luxury or try to gtfo? drat, that's some class divide.

I think you'll find it's a Communist utopia where everyone is equal.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gaius Marius posted:

Westerners have such a myopic view of the world they don't even consider not having the ability to just pack up and go somewhere else
I don't know... this whole "freedom of movement" thing sounds like a capitalist ploy to increase the labor supply, set the workers against one another, and undercut the power of the proletariat. :china:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jimmy Smuts posted:

North Korea is a bit much, but giant class divide is correct. There are the wealthy cities which is almost everything you see about the country, there are smaller cities that are kinda hosed up but still cities, then rural China is one of the most impoverished places in the world.

But don't worry, under Xi the party eliminated poverty (by changing the definition of poverty).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't have a choice. You live where your hukou says you live. People with rural hukou (which is the vast majority of the population) can move to cities to work temporarily but they can't settle down. No social services, their kids can't go to school, etc. The kid lives in the village with grandma for a lot of reasons but a big one is the kid is only allowed to go to school there. Changing from rural to urban hukou is extraordinarily difficult.

Good lord, I had never heard of that. That’s horrific.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I've seen the hukou system compared in many places (The Economist and NYT, among others) to Jim Crow laws. A larger percentage of rural (vs urban) Chinese are ethnic minorities, so the restrictions on movement and education amount to de facto permanent second-class citizen status.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eeeeh. I don't think that comparison works. It's more of a caste system. For the most part ethnic minorities (which are a tiny, tiny part of the population) just aren't thought about at all. Hukou affects everyone in a location no matter what their ethnic identity is. It is used to restrict where the minorities the government does care about live, but that's not really what it's designed for, it's just convenient instead of having to come up with a new reason.

Rural hukou does make you a permanent second class citizen, but it does that to Han and non-Han alike. White people weren't ever being oppressed by Jim Crow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Eeeeh. I don't think that comparison works. It's more of a caste system. For the most part ethnic minorities (which are a tiny, tiny part of the population) just aren't thought about at all. Hukou affects everyone in a location no matter what their ethnic identity is. It is used to restrict where the minorities the government does care about live, but that's not really what it's designed for, it's just convenient instead of having to come up with a new reason.

Rural hukou does make you a permanent second class citizen, but it does that to Han and non-Han alike. White people weren't ever being oppressed by Jim Crow.

Hukou is more comparable to the Constantinian labor "reforms" where you were stuck in a familial job and disallowed to change careers or move without official state approval. And yeah, that was the beginning of serfdom in Europe.
(Constantine, like every Roman Emperor, SUUUUUUCKED)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 21, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

That book says that half of rural children have cognitive delays as a result of malnutrition and other factors. Not that they have nutrition induced disabilities. It's definitely a big deal but is a order of magnitude less serious imo.

It's definitely a big deal though. When I visited China I did notice that a lot of people seemed kind of inactive or unathletic. I thought it was just a cultural thing, but it would make sense if there were some nutritional issues as well.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Hay guys appreciate the china sucks thread

But that bridge hit
https://mobile.twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1549814881041408000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2o0KGdY7Ws

Lots of knives going to come out for all those trapped Russians.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Its interesting that the hit the bridge segment where it is over the land. Maybe that makes it easier to put back in service when/if Ukraine needs it to continue to advance?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

winnydpu posted:

Its interesting that the hit the bridge segment where it is over the land. Maybe that makes it easier to put back in service when/if Ukraine needs it to continue to advance?

Could also be a close miss on land might still do damage, where water it might not?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Russian radar site successfully engaging and destroying HIMARS missile.

I can't find confirmation from any of the geolocation sites unfortunately, but I think that's more my inability to search.

edit: but it looks like it's been successfully geolocated as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudxK-ONmp8

https://twitter.com/jayinkyiv/status/1549682250287140869

and

https://twitter.com/poliitikasse/status/1549786661827002368

Pikehead fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 21, 2022

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I looked and beheld a rider on a green horse, and its name was HIMARS, and GMLRS followed with him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I looked and beheld a rider on a green horse, and its name was HIMARS, and GMLRS followed with him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alan Smithee posted:

no they are wasting money eating too much of that avocado bao

:hmmyes: its the youths fault

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Pikehead posted:

Russian radar site successfully engaging and destroying HIMARS missile.

I can't find confirmation from any of the geolocation sites unfortunately, but I think that's more my inability to search.

edit: but it looks like it's been successfully geolocated as per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WudxK-ONmp8

https://twitter.com/jayinkyiv/status/1549682250287140869

and

https://twitter.com/poliitikasse/status/1549786661827002368

Who took the pictures, and also apparently drew the Z on it after it was destroyed?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean it's not necessarily the same one in both pics right

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean it's not necessarily the same one in both pics right

well, it could be the exact same truck, but the first photo, judging by the lack of scuffs and dirt on the paint job, and the shine on the tires, is either an industry day display or a victory day display or some other dog and pony show event. It's likely the two photos are years apart from each other.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
They're taken in different places (and probably different years)- the building in the background is noticeably different.

The first one is a reference "before being on fire" photo.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're lucky...

It just dawned on me why 80s TV was filled with hearing aid commercials, all those WWII vets hitting 60 dealing with the impact of firing Garands without ear protection.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pikehead posted:

They're taken in different places (and probably different years)- the building in the background is noticeably different.

The first one is a reference "before being on fire" photo.

con la terroristaaaaaaaaaa

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I love the pipe shooting a missile.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1550091415123890177?s=21&t=hjwVOwzvvvCfMQDW84qV-g

:stare:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man they are not good with verbiage.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

While the headline makes it sound like they're about to murder someone, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot more to that story than the usual garden variety Russian antisemitism combined with the regime trying to break up yet another organization that's not 100% overtly pro-Kremlin.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Nuclear Tourist posted:

While the headline makes it sound like they're about to murder someone, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot more to that story than the usual garden variety Russian antisemitism combined with the regime trying to break up yet another organization that's not 100% overtly pro-Kremlin.

Also the Russian government has been getting steadily less transparent about stopping it's citizens from leaving the country, particularly in ways that are easier to make permanent, so this furthers multiple goals

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I understand, I'm just not a fan of liquidation and Jews being used even in the same paragraph. I mean who invented the progrom? But yeah just usual Russian Antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1550097213958852608?s=20&t=h2e1z8SoX2QbslaI0oxKCQ

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry for the double...but I think most he will appreciate it

Guys it's real
https://www.saintjavelin.com/products/himars-depot-tour-2022-adult-tshirt

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1550122177789247491

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I understand, I'm just not a fan of liquidation and Jews being used even in the same paragraph. I mean who invented the progrom? But yeah just usual Russian Antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1550097213958852608?s=20&t=h2e1z8SoX2QbslaI0oxKCQ

gently caress.

Dusty up in this house.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress.

Dusty up in this house.

Funny same here I don’t know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Nuclear Tourist posted:

They most likely could have chosen a better translation than "liquidation," like "abolish." Not that I'd put it past the Russian government at this point, I just think they'd start with a lower-profile organization.