Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If you do, the word from the devs is that if there's a contradiction in the rules, use whichever one has the lower page number (i.e. earlier in the book). This mostly applies to inventory items, where they'll have contradictions between the ones on playbooks and the ones in the reference section, and the reference section should be assumed to be the 'wrong' one if it comes up.

The other thing I'd say is that the rules for campaign play can probably mostly be ignored. The character rules are very strong and the like, moment-to-moment GM tools are good, but the rules about base management and such we found to not really lead anywhere and that it was better to make up missions just based on GMfeel rather than through the generators.

The rule about transit jumps however was great and wound up forcing my "barbarian that is shaped like a ship" (+4 on ramming maneuvers, -2 on diplomacy) to have to negotiate with people several times which was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Why not have Homeworld 1, Cataclysm and 2 be canon? Does it somehow not interact?

Cataclysm is specifically un-canoned for being too cool and awesome and fitting into the setting and atmosphere perfectly.

Homeworld 2 is just dogshit. Absolute trash. It can gently caress right off. The writers need to be publicly shamed for creating something that bad. It clearly suffered from a bunch of cuts at various points where an entire mission or explanatory cutscene seems to be missing before you show up somewhere, but even including that, the entire concept is just bad.

ToxicFrog posted:

- if you want a heavier combat focus, play as one of the boarding teams who has to deal with all those Taiidani ships the salvette crews keep dropping into the mothership's hangar

Salvage corvettes are absolutely the funniest poo poo about Homeworld and one of the most iconic things. It's also extremely fitting that "let's salvage everything in sight" is technically why all the trouble in Cataclysm starts. :v: And then at the end is also what solves the problem again.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Salvage corvettes are absolutely the funniest poo poo about Homeworld and one of the most iconic things. It's also extremely fitting that "let's salvage everything in sight" is technically why all the trouble in Cataclysm starts. :v: And then at the end is also what solves the problem again.

idk i did this in 30s in gimp i don't even think i played much homeworld

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tulip posted:

idk i did this in 30s in gimp i don't even think i played much homeworld

Pretend I did a photoshop of this where his hand is full of taiidani ion frigates instead of cards

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Where's the best place to sell older edition D&D books these days, mostly 3/3.5/4e stuff? I know of a couple of local Facebook groups for board game sales and that'll probably be the first place I try, but is there anywhere online where you can actually get anything for them? And is there a market for those editions these days? I'm totally out of the loop on what's even in demand now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean if you're just looking to offload some older books you don't need, I don't even think you need a market, just a buyer.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Runa posted:

I mean if you're just looking to offload some older books you don't need, I don't even think you need a market, just a buyer.

Sure, I'm not looking for a storefront necessarily, I'm just curious where I'd even find people looking for them. eBay? I'm probably going to do whatever I can to avoid dealing with shipping but it'd be good to know where these sell so I can at least get a sense of what I should be asking for them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SA-Mart potentially. eBay. If you have a shitload perhaps places like Troll and Toad (I only know of the latter because of their sponsorship at Origins)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I don't know if you have any in your area, but there are used booksellers like Half Price Books that will buy RPG books in bulk. Good option if you just want to drop them off, get a payout and be done with it. I doubt they'll offer much money, but I don't think you're going to get a lot of money regardless of where you go. 3 and 4e books are pretty common and a dime a dozen everywhere I've seen them sold.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have no idea if this is a thing where you live but here conventions often have a "yard sale" table where people can bring their old crap to get sold. You just check your stuff in on the first day, the staff handles the selling, and you can pick up your money and any unsold things on the last day.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
God, when Eclipse Phase 1 came out, I remember complaing about how the Jovians were unrealistic and mean spirited. Now, I realize that they were actually too idealistic when compared to the actual forces of conservatism.

I apologize for all the stupid poo poo I said defending Jovians on this forum.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 20, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is there currently an "absolutely horrible poo poo in the tradgames sphere"-thread currently? I've stumbled across some absolutely insane nuTSR poo poo but it feels too awful for this thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there currently an "absolutely horrible poo poo in the tradgames sphere"-thread currently? I've stumbled across some absolutely insane nuTSR poo poo but it feels too awful for this thread.

That tends to land in the TG as an Industry thread.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PurpleXVI posted:

If it's about Star Frontiers, the Industry thread already did a page of posting on it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

This is all anyone ever talks about in the industry thread. It's basically the new grognards.txt

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

This is all anyone ever talks about in the industry thread. It's basically the new grognards.txt

Yeah, it's... a very tiring thread to read any more.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mellonbread posted:

Really? Past few days it was a discussion of paid DMing

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
hosed up that some rear end in a top hat got rid of grognards.txt honestly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah where's that jerk

the industry thread is kinda a containment thread we can point at to keep extended derails on those topics out of all the other threads in TG, but it's also not simply a helldump-for-gamers either. Discussions about e.g. Wizard's financial returns or how to run a game store are rarer, but they can happen there and it's cool when they do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That graph of best-selling settings was pretty cool too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Leperflesh posted:

the industry thread is kinda a containment thread we can point at to keep extended derails on those topics out of all the other threads in TG, but it's also not simply a helldump-for-gamers either. Discussions about e.g. Wizard's financial returns or how to run a game store are rarer, but they can happen there and it's cool when they do.
I am dissatisfied that the "tabletop business people make business decisions" conversations (which I find fascinating) and the "bad actors do bad things" conversations (which, we should shout loudly, but also, the goon conversations are rarely that interesting) are lumped into the same thread.

I do not have a better solution.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

I am dissatisfied that the "tabletop business people make business decisions" conversations (which I find fascinating) and the "bad actors do bad things" conversations (which, we should shout loudly, but also, the goon conversations are rarely that interesting) are lumped into the same thread.

Well the two issues also tend to be linked together. Like the recent Nightmare Power Couple who also abuse/underpay/don’t pay their contractors. Or organizations covering or hiding for abusers and racists.

Like if anything, the issue is only the biggest blowups get much attention, and those are usually the most vile problems. Because people posting here regularly aren’t tapped into a lot of the hottest edges of discourse on Twitter or Facebook groups. So if someone drops a niche bit of business drama tweets without a detailed write up, nobody knows or cares about what’s going on.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

One of the big reasons I closed grognards.txt was because people were just dumping the same randos and 4E debates over and over, so if you're after a thread specifically about bad actors (like, actual industry people and maybe important community figures), you could try rules for sticking to that and not bringing up old/forums drama. It would probably come up anyway the instant someone has an excuse to post "oh that's the guy who posted this ten years ago..." though, and I'm not the guy who'd have to moderate it :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Towards the end, grognards.txt ran out of content, which encouraged people to touch the poop and post links to their own arguments.

If it were restarted, it would immediately become nothing but the Industry thread at its nadir: people posting no-context links to tweets that are ten layers deep into arguments most people have no clue about. There's already a website where you can look at tweets.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Late-era grognards.txt had run out of fresh grog to ridicule, so it was increasingly either 1) yet another 2008-era Amazon review of D&D 4E calling it "tabletop WoW", or 2) minute-by-minute tracking of what Desborough or Tarnowski or Smith had just said/posted/tweeted.

It had run its course.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah.

Like I'm the first to admit the Industry thread has its problems. I have been trying to let people talk - several months ago at some point I made a move to shift just random chat out of that thread, but folks pushed back hard because when there's nothing going on that day they just want to talk about whatever and it becomes a secondary chat thread. And that's probably OK if everyone's OK with it, every long-lived thread develops its own mini community and that community wants to socialize. Who am I to say no?

But we do have to keep some level of lid on things. I've drawn a hard line between commenting on the bad actions of people who are "public figures" in the TG industry, vs. just randos. That's a key and critical difference between the industry thread and the old grognards.txt; if it's about some rando posting bad takes on reddit, that is definitely not industry news. That way lies helldump behavior that hopefully SA has moved past, or tried to.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Grogs hit the death spiral stage of every mock thread, where either people get so desperate for content that they post boring things and reach to get worked up about it, deliberately poke someone to milk content, or repost something from 5-10 years ago.

Realistically to avoid that happening in the Industry thread, people need to not treat internet drama and business blow ups as entertainment they can rubberneck on and excitedly wait for things to escalate. Some digs or riffing on current news is fine but sometimes a news thread just has to lie fallow for a bit. It’s harder for people to resist letting a mock thread rest because people start having a personal stake in the downfall of x or y thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've said this too many times, but I'm wistful for when there was room in the grog thread for opinions that were made fun of because they were silly, or at least confined to game design. It wasn't always a menagerie of vicious racism, sexism, and homophobia.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
At least the industry thread has an opportunity to talk about other things than 'x did a bad thing' which helps keep it somewhat fresh. I thought both the paid DM and D&D setting sales posts had some good content, more interesting than the Star Frontiers nazi thing which screamed 'give me those precious hateclicks'.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Panzeh posted:

At least the industry thread has an opportunity to talk about other things than 'x did a bad thing' which helps keep it somewhat fresh. I thought both the paid DM and D&D setting sales posts had some good content, more interesting than the Star Frontiers nazi thing which screamed 'give me those precious hateclicks'.

The nazi stuff is kind of ironically funny, in that it removes any lingering doubts that the writer for that book is a racist or might not be connected to the social media posts people found, and when you take it in the light of the revival of TSR has been one compounding disaster after another. There's space there to discuss whether the whole thing is a massive scam (and what kind of scam if so?) Or if they're running a business in a way so dumb and incompetently that they're indistinguishable from a scam.

It's also interesting to consider on an industry level how it reads like yet another attempt to bootstrap a right wing gift out of tabletop gaming, the way comicsgate did in American comic circles and gamergate did in video game circles, but once again it is running up against a deafening lack of interest on all sides.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well the two issues also tend to be linked together. Like the recent Nightmare Power Couple who also abuse/underpay/don’t pay their contractors. Or organizations covering or hiding for abusers and racists.

Like if anything, the issue is only the biggest blowups get much attention, and those are usually the most vile problems. Because people posting here regularly aren’t tapped into a lot of the hottest edges of discourse on Twitter or Facebook groups. So if someone drops a niche bit of business drama tweets without a detailed write up, nobody knows or cares about what’s going on.

Yeah, I get that the line is fuzzy. It's why I don't have a better answer.

I just wish there were more fruitful conversations about the rise of "systems as a service" (e.g., Fandom/Cortex and Modiphius now wanting percentage for use of their system through DriveThru, as opposed to just an OGL), conversations about money and marketing and publishing. But a lot of time those get mentioned they'll garner three or four responses, but some racist releasing a dumb PDF that only a few people will touch garners two pages of "haha Nazis are dumb".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Doesn't Fandom make enough money running the most user-unfriendly site on the Internet? I don't understand why somebody hasn't swooped in and eaten their lunch by offering the same basic features with 5% fewer ads.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

Doesn't Fandom make enough money running the most user-unfriendly site on the Internet? I don't understand why somebody hasn't swooped in and eaten their lunch by offering the same basic features with 5% fewer ads.

It's the other way around. Fandom is successful enough that they were able to buy out their primary competitor (Gamepedia) and promptly made their service exactly as lovely as Fandom. And eventually just merged the two, I think; at any rate I haven't seen a Gamepedia link in ages.

The trouble with wishing the Industry thread were more positive is that industry in a capitalist society kind of inherently just sucks rear end. :v:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The trouble with wishing the Industry thread were more positive is that industry in a capitalist society kind of inherently just sucks rear end. :v:
I don't really wish it was more positive, I just wish there was more discussion of, you know, capitalism, when it mostly seems to be a Milkshake Duck thread (or "racist person was racist yet again" thread).

(To be clear, I'm not hand-wringing about why can't we "just" talk about [thing], conversations about racists and rapists should happen. I'm not bemoaning how much the industry thread talks about Milkshake Ducks, but more bemoaning what I perceive to be a lack of discussion about how the sausage gets made.)

And I should probably shut up, because this isn't even the industry thread.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goons loving love Milkshake Duckery, it eats almost every other discussion when its an option, and creating containment zones that let the really dedicated duckhunters have an outlet while not enabling an organized community of duckhunters that then hijack every other conversation has been one of the major tasks (and, tbh, triumphs) of SA moderation post-helldump.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right. And generic discussions of capitalism belong in c-spam or D&D or something.

Discussions about running a TG business and how that interacts with the mechanisms of capitalism would be on-topic.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leperflesh posted:

Right. And generic discussions of capitalism belong in c-spam or D&D or something.

Discussions about running a TG business and how that interacts with the mechanisms of capitalism would be on-topic.

That makes me curious - I know that we've got a couple of game designers on this board, mostly of the indie sort who've made a few games. Have any of them like...made it? By which I mean, gotten enough money off of their indie games that they can pay the bills?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I get that the line is fuzzy. It's why I don't have a better answer.

I just wish there were more fruitful conversations about the rise of "systems as a service" (e.g., Fandom/Cortex and Modiphius now wanting percentage for use of their system through DriveThru, as opposed to just an OGL), conversations about money and marketing and publishing. But a lot of time those get mentioned they'll garner three or four responses, but some racist releasing a dumb PDF that only a few people will touch garners two pages of "haha Nazis are dumb".

That’s fair, yeah, but the thread was quiet for a long while before the recent paid DMing chat. I don’t think it’d hurt to ask about stuff there to ignite a discussion.

Though there needs to be something to discuss. Like has anything come out for Cortex since they finished the handbook and the really broad overview website? Or any licensed game settings it was promising? I guess this is getting into actual industry talk now though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulip posted:

That makes me curious - I know that we've got a couple of game designers on this board, mostly of the indie sort who've made a few games. Have any of them like...made it? By which I mean, gotten enough money off of their indie games that they can pay the bills?

Has any indie tg game designer ever done this? I mean I guess gygaxs et al, but since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMinixSXII

lmfao

e: https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1550220974771118080?s=21&t=mnillkOicZNhs2AZFh3GSA

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2022